PDA

View Full Version : OSI UMENYIORA THINKS IT'S POSSIBLE GIANTS WILL TRADE HIM, DE SAYS HE'S LOOKING FOR A LONG TERM EXTENSION

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 01:14 PM
OSI UMENYIORA THINKS IT'S POSSIBLE GIANTS WILL TRADE HIM, DE SAYS HE'S LOOKING FOR A LONG TERM EXTENSION (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/osi-umenyiora-thinks-ny-giants-trade-de-a-long-term-extension-article-1.1067202)

"Osi Umenyiora (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Osi+Umenyiora) thinks
there's a "chance" he could finally be an ex-Giant sometime in the next few
days.<div><div class="story-body p402_premium">

With absolutely no movement or significant talks on his long-desired contract
extension, the oft-unhappy defensive end is bracing for at least the possibility
that he'll be traded sometime in the next few days. There was even a report that
the Giants, who once wanted a first-round draft pick in return for Umenyiora,
now are willing to accept only a third-round pick.</p>

Two NFL sources disputed that report, and indicated there's no reason to
believe a trade is "imminent." Umenyiora seemed to agree, but in one of several
radio interviews he did on Wednesday, he said "You really never know what's
going to happen here in the next couple of days."</p>

"There's a chance (of a trade)," Umenyiora said on SiriusXM NFL Radio's The
Opening Drive. "I would've liked to start and finish my career with the same
team, but it's a business. The Giants have to do what's best for them and
obviously I have to do what's best for myself at this point.</p>

"I feel like whatever happens over this weekend happens."</p>

The only reason a trade is even possible is that Umenyiora is entering the
final year of his contract and he made it clear he's still looking for a very
lucrative, long-term extension. In fact, during an interview on WFAN he
seemingly set the bar at four years and $40 million or so.</p>

Umenyiora pointedly mentioned two recent contracts for defensive ends: The
four-year, $36 million contract signed by 31-year-old Colts <a title="Robert Mathis" href="http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Robert+Mathis">defensive end Robert
Mathis</a> ("who I feel like I'm just as good as," Umenyiora said) and the
four-year, $48 million extension signed by the Eagles' Trent Cole (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Trent+Cole).</p>

Umenyiora had 12-1/2 sacks in 13 games for the Giants last season, including
the playoffs. Cole had 11 sacks in 14 games. Mathis had 9-1/2 sacks in 16
games.</p>

Asked by Craig Carton (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Craig+Carton) on WFAN's
Boomer &amp; Carton show if he'd be willing to sign a short-term extension with
the Giants the example he gave was two years, $8 million Umenyiora pointed
to what Cole and Mathis got and said "I don't know how I'm supposed to. I don't
know how I can."</p>

The most likely resolution to the ongoing Umenyiora saga is that he'll end up
playing out the final year of the seven-year, $41 million contract extension he
signed in 2005 (though on WFAN, Umenyiora disputed that number as
"over-inflated"). He is scheduled to make $3.975 million in salary in 2012 and
will be a free agent next March."
</p></div></div>Umenyiora tried to force the Giants' hand last summer when he threw a fit and
staged a one-day holdout, followed by a few days in which he refused to
practice. He did get the Giants agree to let his agent, Tony Agnone (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Tony+Agnone), shop for a
trade and, according to one source there was at least one team willing to part
with a second-round pick. But Giants GM Jerry Reese (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Jerry+Reese) refused
to part with Umenyiora for anything less than a first-rounder so no deal was
struck.<div class="story-body p402_premium">

Umenyiora, unwilling to be hit with the maximum $30,000 per day he could be
fined for holding out while under contract, reported back to work though he soon
opted to have knee surgery that delayed the start of his year.</p>

It all worked out in the end, of course, and Umenyiora had a monster season.
He also feels like he still has a few more good years like that left in his tank
maybe a few that are even better.</p>

"I also like I still have maybe like two years left of just straight being an
every-down defensive end before I just turn into a strictly pass rusher,"
Umenyiora told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "I want to see where I'm at if I could just
play a full season. When I see Jared Allen (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Jared+Allen) doing
whatever he does (he had 22 sacks last season, just a half-sack short of tying
Michael Strahan (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Michael+Strahan)'s
single-season record) and all these other guys who play the whole (season)
putting up these numbers, I want to see what I'm able to do.</p>

"I want to break Strahan's record," Umenyiora added. "That's what I really
want to do. I love Strahan, but I want to do that. I want to go for
that."</p></div>

TuckYou
04-25-2012, 01:23 PM
If we only get a 3rd for Osi, I would be furious. 12.5 sacks in 13 games last year... He is only 30. Strahan retired at 36 and was still on top of his game. Osi is the best strip sacker in the league. If the Pats wont give up one of their firsts, or a team like the Jags give up their early 2nd, no thank you. I want me some Osi to stay!</P>

</P>

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 01:26 PM
If we only get a 3rd for Osi, I would be furious. 12.5 sacks in 13 games last year... He is only 30. Strahan retired at 36 and was still on top of his game. Osi is the best strip sacker in the league. If the Pats wont give up one of their firsts, or a team like the Jags give up their early 2nd, no thank you. I want me some Osi to stay!</P>

</P>

</P>

You guys don't understand. He is going to make the Giants and allof usfans miserable this coming season. He knows if he plays out his deal, he'll be 31 and won't get a long term deal from anyone.</P>

Trade him tomorrow and free up cap space.</P>

Morehead has spoken.</P>

</P>

And Osi is injury prone and the rest of the league knows it. He's no Strahan.</P>

G-Man67
04-25-2012, 01:26 PM
oh some team did offer a 2nd last year ... interesting</P>

well there's no way any team could turn down a 1st for a 30+ year old player</P>

we would take the 2nd now?</P>

it just scares me ... it's easy to say, well we got Tuck and JPP and Kiwi and a couple of other unproven guys and then we can draft a DE somewhere and we'll be fine</P>

well, that's all well and good assuming everyone stays healthy, which is a huge assumption</P>

buddy33
04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
If we only get a 3rd for Osi, I would be furious. 12.5 sacks in 13 games last year...* He is only 30. Strahan retired at 36 and was still on top of his game. Osi is the best strip sacker in the league. If the Pats wont give up one of their firsts, or a team like the Jags give up their early 2nd, no thank you. I want me some Osi to stay!</P>

*</P>

</P>

You guys don't understand.* He is going to make the Giants and all*of us*fans miserable this coming season.* He knows if he plays out his deal, he'll be 31 and won't get a long term deal from anyone.</P>

Morehead has spoken.</P>

*</P>

And Osi is injury prone and the rest of the league knows it.* He's no Strahan.</P>

Or just keep him because for what he can do on the field they will have him cheap this year. Let him play his games. He did last year and they won the Super Bowl. If anything he might really turn it on this year to get a new deal.

Maybe they get a 3rd round comp for him next year anyway?

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 01:37 PM

</P>

</P>

You guys don't understand. He is going to make the Giants and allof usfans miserable this coming season. He knows if he plays out his deal, he'll be 31 and won't get a long term deal from anyone.</P>

Morehead has spoken.</P>

</P>

And Osi is injury prone and the rest of the league knows it. He's no Strahan.</P>

Or just keep him because for what he can do on the field they will have him cheap this year. Let him play his games. He did last year and they won the Super Bowl. If anything he might really turn it on this year to get a new deal. Maybe they get a 3rd round comp for him next year anyway?</P>

I promise you, he's prepared to whine like a schoolgirl all season.</P>

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 01:50 PM
If we only get a 3rd for Osi, I would be furious. 12.5 sacks in 13 games last year... He is only 30. Strahan retired at 36 and was still on top of his game. Osi is the best strip sacker in the league. If the Pats wont give up one of their firsts, or a team like the Jags give up their early 2nd, no thank you. I want me some Osi to stay!</p>

</p>

</p>

You guys don't understand. He is going to make the Giants and allof usfans miserable this coming season. He knows if he plays out his deal, he'll be 31 and won't get a long term deal from anyone.</p>

Trade him tomorrow and free up cap space.</p>

Morehead has spoken.</p>

</p>

And Osi is injury prone and the rest of the league knows it. He's no Strahan.</p>

Or just keep him because for what he can do on the field they will have him cheap this year. Let him play his games. He did last year and they won the Super Bowl. If anything he might really turn it on this year to get a new deal. Maybe they get a 3rd round comp for him next year anyway?</p>

I promise you, he's prepared to whine like a schoolgirl all season.</p>

It's not a secret I believe in honoring contracts. So, what if Reese says we're holding you to your contract this season. So Osi has two options, assuming Reese won't trade him.

1. He can hold out and pay a daily fine which was $30,000.00 a day before the new CBA
2. He can play:
a) his heart out and earn a contract here or somewhere else
b) not so much and turn any potential suitors off

Am I missing anything?

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 01:54 PM
If we only get a 3rd for Osi, I would be furious. 12.5 sacks in 13 games last year... He is only 30. Strahan retired at 36 and was still on top of his game. Osi is the best strip sacker in the league. If the Pats wont give up one of their firsts, or a team like the Jags give up their early 2nd, no thank you. I want me some Osi to stay!</p>

</p>

</p>

You guys don't understand. He is going to make the Giants and allof usfans miserable this coming season. He knows if he plays out his deal, he'll be 31 and won't get a long term deal from anyone.</p>

Morehead has spoken.</p>

</p>

And Osi is injury prone and the rest of the league knows it. He's no Strahan.</p>

Or just keep him because for what he can do on the field they will have him cheap this year. Let him play his games. He did last year and they won the Super Bowl. If anything he might really turn it on this year to get a new deal. Maybe they get a 3rd round comp for him next year anyway?</p>

Not exactly a crystal ball statement [;)] I had hoped he'd learned form last year.

yatitle
04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
If we only get a 3rd for Osi, I would be furious. 12.5 sacks in 13 games last year...* He is only 30. Strahan retired at 36 and was still on top of his game. Osi is the best strip sacker in the league. If the Pats wont give up one of their firsts, or a team like the Jags give up their early 2nd, no thank you. I want me some Osi to stay!</P>

*</P>

</P>

You guys don't understand.* He is going to make the Giants and all*of us*fans miserable this coming season.* He knows if he plays out his deal, he'll be 31 and won't get a long term deal from anyone.</P>

Morehead has spoken.</P>

*</P>

And Osi is injury prone and the rest of the league knows it.* He's no Strahan.</P>

I agree with you. If they can get a 3rd for him its as good as you can expect given the circumstances. His knees are not going to get better over the last few years of his career and he has made his living based on his speed. Like the old adage says get rid of him 1 season too early rather than1 season too late.

The "evil" YA has spoken.

TuckYou
04-25-2012, 02:04 PM

</P>

</P>

Morehead has spoken.</P>

</P>

Or just keep him because for what he can do on the field they will have him cheap this year. Let him play his games. He did last year and they won the Super Bowl. If anything he might really turn it on this year to get a new deal. Maybe they get a 3rd round comp for him next year anyway?</P>

</P>

Just like last year? Cool, Ill take it then. And after this season his cntract is up. If he wants a big contract he better show up this season. If not, he hurts himself. We arent just going to give him away for a 3rd. He has 1st round talent. Yeah he is 30, not 36! He is a game changing pass rusher, just ask Aaron Rodgers. </P>

If we cant get a 1st rounder, or early 2nd, then no way. We need to get a pass rushing DE with the pick that we get for him to replace him. If not, keep him for the final year and make him suffer if thats what he wants. Same year, same story. Turned out great last year. </P>

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 02:13 PM

</p>

</p>

Morehead has spoken.</p>

</p>

</p>

Just like last year? Cool, Ill take it then. And after this season his cntract is up. If he wants a big contract he better show up this season. If not, he hurts himself. We arent just going to give him away for a 3rd. He has 1st round talent. Yeah he is 30, not 36! He is a game changing pass rusher, just ask Aaron Rodgers. </p>

If we cant get a 1st rounder, or early 2nd, then no way. We need to get a pass rushing DE with the pick that we get for him to replace him. If not, keep him for the final year and make him suffer if thats what he wants. Same year, same story. Turned out great last year. </p>

That's very optimistic of you. He wasn't a first round talent last year when he was allowed to test those waters. He's a year older and a malcontent. Those things all factor into a player's worth.

LT_was_good
04-25-2012, 02:22 PM

</p>

</p>

Morehead has spoken.</p>

</p>

</p>

Just like last year? Cool, Ill take it then. And after this season his cntract is up. If he wants a big contract he better show up this season. If not, he hurts himself. We arent just going to give him away for a 3rd. He has 1st round talent. Yeah he is 30, not 36! He is a game changing pass rusher, just ask Aaron Rodgers. </p>

If we cant get a 1st rounder, or early 2nd, then no way. We need to get a pass rushing DE with the pick that we get for him to replace him. If not, keep him for the final year and make him suffer if thats what he wants. Same year, same story. Turned out great last year. </p>

That's very optimistic of you. He wasn't a first round talent last year when he was allowed to test those waters. He's a year older and a malcontent. Those things all factor into a player's worth.

I think TuckYou meant in terms of Osi's actual on-field talent, not his trade value. He's still a very good player and is a bargain at just under $4 Million. The idea of Osi whining all season worries me, but doesn't it seem more likely he will just whine during the off-season/preseason then work his tail off on the field to get a new contract elsewhere? Once the season starts he has nothing to gain by doing anything other than getting to the QB.

buddy33
04-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Sitting only hurts his pocket both this year and in the future. What team is going to pay him big bucks for sitting on his team?

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 02:34 PM

</P>

</P>

Morehead has spoken.</P>

</P>

It's not a secret I believe in honoring contracts. So, what if Reese says we're holding you to your contract this season. So Osi has two options, assuming Reese won't trade him.

1. He can hold out and pay a daily fine which was $30,000.00 a day before the new CBA
2. He can play:

Am I missing anything?

</P>

I doubt he wants to wait until next year for his extension. He probably thinks his best chance is right now, coming off the SB win and being one year younger than next year. If he plays out this year, he probably figures he could get hurt or he would just be 31 and still injury prone and not get a contract that he thinks he deserves or at least could get this season.</P>

Thats why he's probably going to hold his breath and stomp his feet until he gets a new deal or gets traded.</P>

byron
04-25-2012, 02:57 PM

</P>

</P>

Morehead has spoken.</P>

</P>

2. He can play:

Am I missing anything?

</P>

I doubt he wants to wait until next year for his extension. He probably thinks his best chance is right now, coming off the SB win and being one year younger than next year. If he plays out this year, he probably figures he could get hurt or he would just be 31 and still injury prone and not get a contract that he thinks he deserves or at least could get this season.</P>

Thats why he's probably going to hold his breath and stomp his feet until he gets a new deal or gets traded.</P>

I quess I'm missing something herehe has no leverage other than to hold hisbreath and stomp his feet....holding out would be stupid....on top of the fines he could lose an accrued year for this season...putting off his FA status for next !?....So in my mind he'll show up for work what he doesafter that time will tell he coud fake an injury.... correct me if I'm wrong</P>

</P>

edit from a artical:</P>

There's also the 30-day rule, which prevents players from accruing a year toward free agency if they don't show to camp at least 30 days before the regular season</P>

only thestupid wouldn't show up for work</P>

Roswell777
04-25-2012, 03:07 PM
None of this would be as big an issue if front loaded contracts weren't so front loaded.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 03:09 PM
None of this would be as big an issue if front loaded contracts weren't so front loaded.</P>

No good deed goes unpunished.</P>

byron
04-25-2012, 03:22 PM
None of this would be as big an issue if front loaded contracts weren't so front loaded.</P>

No good deed goes unpunished.</P>they front loaded so he would sign or maybe cap considerations... some how I doubt this was a good deed.....And I'm not trying to defending Osi here he needs to play out his deal if thats what the Giants want plain and simple

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 03:27 PM

they front loaded so he would sign or maybe cap considerations... some how I doubt this was a good deed.....And I'm not trying to defending Osi here he needs to play out his deal if thats what the Giants want plain and simple</P>

We did it because whining Osi probably demanded it.</P>

We are a kind and generous organization, just like Morehead.</P>

BeatYale
04-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Up to this point have the Giants officially stated they are looking to trade him or is he simply creating trade buzz for himself?

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Up to this point have the Giants officially stated they are looking to trade him or is he simply creating trade buzz for himself?</P>

If they were, they certainly wouldn't make it public.</P>

byron
04-25-2012, 03:38 PM

they front loaded so he would sign or maybe cap considerations... some how I doubt this was a good deed.....And I'm not trying to defending Osi here he needs to play out his deal if thats what the Giants want plain and simple</P>

We did it because whining Osi probably demanded it.</P>

We are a kind and generous organization, just like Morehead.</P>

Cute answer....</P>

</P>

TuckYou
04-25-2012, 03:41 PM

</P>

</P>

Morehead has spoken.</P>

</P>

</P>

Just like last year? Cool, Ill take it then. And after this season his cntract is up. If he wants a big contract he better show up this season. If not, he hurts himself. We arent just going to give him away for a 3rd. He has 1st round talent. Yeah he is 30, not 36! He is a game changing pass rusher, just ask Aaron Rodgers. </P>

If we cant get a 1st rounder, or early 2nd, then no way. We need to get a pass rushing DE with the pick that we get for him to replace him. If not, keep him for the final year and make him suffer if thats what he wants. Same year, same story. Turned out great last year. </P>

I think TuckYou meant in terms of Osi's actual on-field talent, not his trade value. He's still a very good player and is a bargain at just under $4 Million. The idea of Osi whining all season worries me, but doesn't it seem more likely he will just whine during the off-season/preseason then work his tail off on the field to get a new contract elsewhere? Once the season starts he has nothing to gain by doing anything other than getting to the QB.
</P>

Exactly. You cant tell me teams wouldnt want Osi overthe potential of guyslike Mercilus, Jones, Coples, Ingram ect...Teams already know what Osi can do and the impact he can have RIGHT NOW. Yeah he is 30, but you guys act like he is done. Strahan played till 36 at a high level!</P>

My point is, either trade him for a 1st / earlysecond, or keep him. Either way, The Giants are in the drivers seat. Osi cancome out and ball this season and get abig contract afgter the year, or he can mope and hold out and rot on the sidelines and never geta huge payday. </P>

Like I said earlier, Osi gets to the QB at least once a game. A ton of teams would love that, even for a year. </P>

Redeyejedi
04-25-2012, 04:10 PM

*</P>

</P>

Morehead has spoken.</P>

*</P>

</P>

That's very optimistic of you.* He wasn't a first round talent last year when he was allowed to test those waters.* He's a year older and a malcontent.* Those things all factor into a player's worth.

I think TuckYou meant in terms of Osi's actual on-field talent, not his trade value.* He's still a very good player and is a bargain at just under $4 Million.* The idea of Osi whining all season worries me, but doesn't it seem more likely he will just whine during the off-season/preseason then work his tail off on the field to get a new contract elsewhere?* Once the season starts he has nothing to gain by doing anything other than getting to the QB.
</P>

Exactly. You cant tell me teams wouldnt want Osi over*the potential of guys*like Mercilus, Jones, Coples, Ingram ect...*Teams already know what Osi can do and the impact he can have RIGHT NOW. Yeah he is 30, but you guys act like he is done. Strahan played till 36 at a high level!</P>

My point is, either trade him for a 1st / early*second, or keep him. Either way, The Giants are in the drivers seat. Osi can*come out and ball this season and get a*big contract afgter the year, or he can mope and hold out and rot on the sidelines and never get*a huge payday. </P>

Like I said earlier, Osi gets to the QB at least once a game. A ton of teams would love that, even for a year. *</P>No need for me to post anything u said it all

radar-ray
04-25-2012, 06:26 PM

*</P>

</P>

Morehead has spoken.</P>

*</P>

</P>

That's very optimistic of you.* He wasn't a first round talent last year when he was allowed to test those waters.* He's a year older and a malcontent.* Those things all factor into a player's worth.

I think TuckYou meant in terms of Osi's actual on-field talent, not his trade value.* He's still a very good player and is a bargain at just under $4 Million.* The idea of Osi whining all season worries me, but doesn't it seem more likely he will just whine during the off-season/preseason then work his tail off on the field to get a new contract elsewhere?* Once the season starts he has nothing to gain by doing anything other than getting to the QB.
</P>

Exactly. You cant tell me teams wouldnt want Osi over*the potential of guys*like Mercilus, Jones, Coples, Ingram ect...*Teams already know what Osi can do and the impact he can have RIGHT NOW. Yeah he is 30, but you guys act like he is done. Strahan played till 36 at a high level!</P>

My point is, either trade him for a 1st / early*second, or keep him. Either way, The Giants are in the drivers seat. Osi can*come out and ball this season and get a*big contract afgter the year, or he can mope and hold out and rot on the sidelines and never get*a huge payday. </P>

Like I said earlier, Osi gets to the QB at least once a game. A ton of teams would love that, even for a year. *</P>No need for me to post anything u said it allDitto!

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 06:31 PM

</P>

</P>

Morehead has spoken.</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Exactly. You cant tell me teams wouldnt want Osi overthe potential of guyslike Mercilus, Jones, Coples, Ingram ect...Teams already know what Osi can do and the impact he can have RIGHT NOW. Yeah he is 30, but you guys act like he is done. Strahan played till 36 at a high level!</P>

My point is, either trade him for a 1st / earlysecond, or keep him. Either way, The Giants are in the drivers seat. Osi cancome out and ball this season and get abig contract afgter the year, or he can mope and hold out and rot on the sidelines and never geta huge payday. </P>

Like I said earlier, Osi gets to the QB at least once a game. A ton of teams would love that, even for a year. </P>

No need for me to post anything u said it allDitto!</P>

A guy who is a perpetual malcontent, who is going to be pissed off, who has had a history of undiciplined play, along with uneven effort, is not going to play hard unless he gets a new contract.</P>

Its just who Osi is. He's a pain in the ***. And it won't serve the interests of our beloved football team.</P>

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 06:55 PM

</p>

</p>

Morehead has spoken.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Exactly. You cant tell me teams wouldnt want Osi overthe potential of guyslike Mercilus, Jones, Coples, Ingram ect...Teams already know what Osi can do and the impact he can have RIGHT NOW. Yeah he is 30, but you guys act like he is done. Strahan played till 36 at a high level!</p>

My point is, either trade him for a 1st / earlysecond, or keep him. Either way, The Giants are in the drivers seat. Osi cancome out and ball this season and get abig contract afgter the year, or he can mope and hold out and rot on the sidelines and never geta huge payday. </p>

Like I said earlier, Osi gets to the QB at least once a game. A ton of teams would love that, even for a year. </p>

No one is complaining about his ability to get into the backfield. He has a contract that he signed and is being expected to honor that. He has been *****ing and moaning since the day after he signed the contract. I don't know what Reese is going to do or is inclined to do. But I hope he's not considering $36M over four years.

Rat_bastich
04-25-2012, 09:58 PM
As has been alluded to he has no leverage to demand anything. Reese and company can make him sit on the bench or let him play. It is up to him to earn his next contract from us or someone else.

I still think that last year the reason he decided to come back when he did was that he thought he was so essential to the line's success that they would fail without him. When JPP started dominating games defensively almost on his own, I think he realized that his "plan" was failing.

If they let him sit, the Giants will regain a large portion of his contract and be done with him.

As much as I thought Kiwi was going to remain at Linebacker, I can see this situation causing him to rejoin the DE rotation.

CDN_G-FAN
04-25-2012, 10:04 PM
If we only get a 3rd for Osi, I would be furious. 12.5 sacks in 13 games last year...* He is only 30. Strahan retired at 36 and was still on top of his game. Osi is the best strip sacker in the league. If the Pats wont give up one of their firsts, or a team like the Jags give up their early 2nd, no thank you. I want me some Osi to stay!</p>

*</p>

</p>

You guys don't understand.* He is going to make the Giants and all*of us*fans miserable this coming season.* He knows if he plays out his deal, he'll be 31 and won't get a long term deal from anyone.</p>

Morehead has spoken.</p>

*</p>

And Osi is injury prone and the rest of the league knows it.* He's no Strahan.</p>

It's not a secret I believe in honoring contracts.* So, what if Reese says we're holding you to your contract this season.* So Osi has two options, assuming Reese won't trade him.

1.* He can hold out and pay a daily fine which was $30,000.00 a day before the new CBA
2.* He can play:
**** a) his heart out and earn a contract here or somewhere else
**** b) not so much and turn any potential suitors off

Am I missing anything?

with all due respect you are.

if he gets hurt playing his heart out he gets near squat next year.

he's better off paying the $500k as an insurance policy for not getting hurt this season.

we will eventually cut him loose.

CDN_G-FAN
04-25-2012, 10:08 PM
i still dont' know who pays a 3rd for Osi.

in 12 months or less, he's a free agent, which means you give up no pick, AND almost as important, he tests the market and finds out he's not worth top 5 money, which he won't accept less than until its clear he can't get it.

if you do trade for him, you give up a pick, and then you have to contend with a 30 something DE that doesn't have a great injury past who wants near $10 mill a season.

He's worth $5-$6 by my dime-store analysis, but probably wont' accept that given his comments to date.

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 10:20 PM

</p>

</p>

Morehead has spoken.</p>

</p>

2. He can play:

Am I missing anything?

he's better off paying the $500k as an insurance policy for not getting hurt this season.

Injuries are part of the game. If you are going to use "I could get injured" as a basis for demanding a new contract, there would be no time for playing the game.

Players hurt playing the game go on IR and their medical bills are paid as they collect their negotiated salaries. So if Osi gets hurt this season he still collects his $3.9M salary. How is that unfair to Osi?

byron
04-25-2012, 10:59 PM
..... these players know they risk injury.... and its ok if theyget hurt on the front end of their contracts and the owners pay them anyway as the heal...but evidently its not OKtoward the end of their deal to risk injury for pay and at the tune of 3.9mil an amount that would setmost ofus up for a life time ....I don't know what a police officer gets an hour 25/30 bucksor a soldierdefending this country ..the thought of Osi or any other player not assuming the risk of injury for 3.9 mil boggles my mind....I'm goingdo my best to stop posting anymore on this subject .....I say make thehi play out the deal he signed on for.....giving into him just fertilizes more of samefrom others........</P>

sorry for the rant</P>

GreenZone
04-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Listening to him play right into Craig Cartoon's Jet fan creating-disharmony-with-a-Giant-player mode, he did his negotiating right on the air.

And, quite frankly, that's the last place anyone with an ounce of sense would want to do.

Now, here's a wide credibility gap with Osi: he poo-pooed the NFL PA published contract that he is now completing, claiming he's making nowhere near $41.380 million that's been published.

<table class="salaryTable" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><thead><tr class="salaryRow"><td class="header salaryYear"></td>
<td class="header salaryAmt">Base Salary</td>
<td class="header salaryAmt">S. Bonus</td>
<td class="header salaryAmt">Misc. Bonus</td>
<td class="header salaryAmt">Cap Hit</td>
</tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2006</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">
500,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">1,142,857 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2007</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
595,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">1,237,857 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2008</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
1,700,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">2,342,857 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2009</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
2,550,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">3,192,857 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2010</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
3,100,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">3,742,857 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2011</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
3,125,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">3,767,857 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2012</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end currentYear " title="">
3,975,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
642,857 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end currentYear " title="">4,617,857 </span></td>
</tr>

<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2013</td>
<td class="salaryAmt fa" colspan="4">
<span class="ufa">
UFA </span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="details"><div class="player-details"><ul> $15 million guaranteed Signing Bonus: $4.5 million[/list]</div></td></tr></tbody></table>
If he is actually making nowhere near the $41 million, tell the public what the contract really is and blow open the gaping hole that would exist in the CBA!

Not only is Jerry Reese a liar, according to Osi, but the published figures are apparently now too.

CDN_G-FAN
04-25-2012, 11:57 PM
If we only get a 3rd for Osi, I would be furious. 12.5 sacks in 13 games last year...* He is only 30. Strahan retired at 36 and was still on top of his game. Osi is the best strip sacker in the league. If the Pats wont give up one of their firsts, or a team like the Jags give up their early 2nd, no thank you. I want me some Osi to stay!</p>

*</p>

</p>

You guys don't understand.* He is going to make the Giants and all*of us*fans miserable this coming season.* He knows if he plays out his deal, he'll be 31 and won't get a long term deal from anyone.</p>

Morehead has spoken.</p>

*</p>

And Osi is injury prone and the rest of the league knows it.* He's no Strahan.</p>

It's not a secret I believe in honoring contracts.* So, what if Reese says we're holding you to your contract this season.* So Osi has two options, assuming Reese won't trade him.

1.* He can hold out and pay a daily fine which was $30,000.00 a day before the new CBA
2.* He can play:
**** a) his heart out and earn a contract here or somewhere else
**** b) not so much and turn any potential suitors off

Am I missing anything?

Injuries are part of the game.* If you are going to use "I could get injured" as a basis for demanding a new contract, there would be no time for playing the game.

Players hurt playing the game go on IR and their medical bills are paid as they collect their negotiated salaries.** So if Osi gets hurt this season he still collects his $3.9M salary.* How is that unfair to Osi?

none of its 'unfair' to osi. his basis for demanding a new contract is that he feels he's worth more than double what he's getting paid.

he's not, given is age, skillset and injury history, but he won't figure that out until he's on the market.

his goal is not to collect his $3.9m salary. he wants a new contract with a huge signing bonus.

i don't think he has much chance of getting a top 5 deal, maybe none at all, but if he gets hurt then there's absolutely no way he gets it.

Osi's not stupid. last 5 seasons he's had significant injuries in something like 3 or 4 of them. if history's an indicator, he'll miss games again this year.

Osi won't play this year without a new deal. if i were his agent, i wouldn't let him play this year.

and without a new deal his trade value is well below what he brings to the football field.

osi and his agent JUMPED at the chance to find a 1st for him last year, and there were no takers. i'm surprised this wasn't more of a wakeup call, but clearly it wasn't. he thinks his market value is top 5 in the nfl.

i'd make him play out his contract, if he didn't and sat out, i'd let him sit the season and cut him after the playoffs.

Rat_bastich
04-26-2012, 01:46 AM
Osi won't play this year without a new deal. if i were his agent, i wouldn't let him play this year.

The only problem with this is that it takes away the only leverage Osi would have for a big new contract with another team. Osi hasn't played a full season in the last few years and even though he has come in sporadically and gathered some good stats, he is still consistently hurt. He needs to prove to a potentially new employer that he is able to perform and stay on the field.

I agree with all your other points though. Osi, with the growth of JPP, has become a situational pass rusher. He needs to come in and play the best football he can possibly play and then move on. I'm pretty sure that however he plays this year...sack record, etc. it is most likely his last year as a Giant.