PDA

View Full Version : OSI UMENYIORA'S TEAMMATES ARE READY TO MOVE ON WITHOUT HIM IF NEED BE

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 01:30 PM
OSI UMENYIORA'S TEAMMATES ARE READY TO MOVE ON WITHOUT HIM IF NEED BE (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/04/osi_umenyioras_teammates_are_r.html)

"At least one member of the Giants defense believes the unit would go on
without skipping a beat if defensive end Osi Umenyiora does not return last
season, as he has indicated could be the case in <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/04/giants_osi_umenyiora_uncertain.html">several
interviews and public appearances this week if his contract is not reworked.</a>

</p>

Linebacker Michael Boley pointed to the defense's success when Umenyiora was
out due to injury last season as evidence that the defense can succeed if
Umenyiora is traded during the offseason.</p>

"If Osi's not around it won't change anything," Boley said last night at the
ESPN The Mag Pre-Draft Party in Manhattan last night. "We got a good group of
guys. Obviously, having Osi there is great, but with him not being there it's
not going to change. Just like the times that he's been hurt, nothing
changed."</p>

Umenyiora missed seven games last season, but still managed to record nine
sacks in nine regular season games and 3 1/2 more in the Giants' four postseason
games. </p>

He told reporters yesterday that if he has to play under his current
contract, "I really don't know how I'm going to react to that situation."</p>

Fellow defensive Jason Pierre-Paul said losing Umenyiora, someone who he said
has aided his growth as a football player, "would hurt." But he also said he
would be doing the same thing if he were in Umenyiora's position -- a
30-year-old sackmaster entering the final year of a seven-year deal he feels
he's outplayed. </p>

"This whole thing's a business," Pierre-Paul said. "I feel like Osi, he
deserves better and what he's doing is a business part of football. If I was in
the situation, too, I would do the same thing."</p>

<a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/04/dave_tollefson_agrees_to_terms.html">With
Dave Tollefson already gone to the Raiders</a>, losing Umenyiora would mean that
half of the Giants' vaunted NASCAR personnel on the line wouldn't be around.
Pierre-Paul said he could see the Giants drafting a defensive end this weekend
to maintain the unique personnel package and a quality rotation.</p>
"We're going to have to keep the rotation going," Pierre-Paul said. "That's
with any line in the league. You got to have a rotation so when guys get tired,
you depend on the next man to come in and fulfill thee job and do you job better
than you can. That's with any defensive line."

slipknottin
04-26-2012, 01:32 PM
giants defense actually improved substantially with Osi in the lineup.... but ok,.

Flip Empty
04-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Osi's an important part of that rotation. How many other teams can cycle through three Pro Bowl-calibre D Ends? That line drives the defense. It'll be a big loss if/when Osi goes.

FBomb
04-26-2012, 01:39 PM
As much as Osi gets on my nerves....Boley is out of his mind to think the the defense was just as good without him.

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 01:47 PM
As much as Osi gets on my nerves....Boley is out of his mind to think the the defense was just as good without him.

What else is he gong to say? We are doomed! It might just be an indication that some of the players don't like the drama Osi brings.

Osi has been begging to be traded for the last two years. If he gets his wish, they are going to have to play with whoever is here. Linval Joseph was impressive last year and Marvin Austin is now healthy but as yet untested. I would not be surprised id they take a DL in the first round and I would also see that as a signal that Osi is done.

Could they use Osi as trade bait to move up into the middle of the 1st round?

Flip Empty
04-26-2012, 01:51 PM
could they use Osi as trade bait to move up into the middle of the 1st round?

Been wondering that. They'd probably get more value that way than with a straight-up trade. The Pats are in need of a pass rusher and they have two first rounders.

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Been wondering that. They'd probably get more value that way than with a straight-up trade. The Pats are in need of a pass rusher and they have two first rounders.

Could make the first round a little intriguig.

DelawareGiants
04-26-2012, 01:54 PM
We will definitely get a hint at what the plan is when we hear, "With the 32nd pick of the first round, the New York Giants select........Kendall Reyes or Nick Perry"

If a DE like the two above are there that matches what the GMen want at DE- Osi could be moved. Maybe not for what we think he is worth but we might get a low second or high 3rd round pick ( lets say we use it on Mike Martin at DT or Derek Wolfe who can play both DT/DE) to go along the DE they draft with that 1st pick.

Worst case scenario- we don't go DE with 1st and Osi is not moved and he plays this year with us. Do you think going into a FA year that Osi would not play all out to make sure he can get a contract next year?

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 01:58 PM
We will definitely get a hint at what the plan is when we hear, "With the 32nd pick of the first round, the New York Giants select........Kendall Reyes or Nick Perry"

If a DE like the two above are there that matches what the GMen want at DE- Osi could be moved. Maybe not for what we think he is worth but we might get a low second or high 3rd round pick ( lets say we use it on Mike Martin at DT or Derek Wolfe who can play both DT/DE) to go along the DE they draft with that 1st pick.

Worst case scenario- we don't go DE with 1st and Osi is not moved and he plays this year with us. Do you think going into a FA year that Osi would not play all out to make sure he can get a contract next year?

They could also be thinking of moving Kiwanuka back to DE and select a DT

Harlem2va
04-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Tofleson and Osi can both be replaced, Kiwi, Tuck, JPP and Canty can rush the QB. We could use JPP, Tuck, Kiwi and send Rivers; so there are options to rushing the QB. When LT retired we thought the sack days were over for the Giants defense, but we survived and if Osi leaves we'll figure something out!!

TuckYou
04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Hey RF, can we get a few more negative Osi threads going? Jeeeez. </P>

</P>

Morehead State
04-26-2012, 02:43 PM
giants defense actually improved substantially with Osi in the lineup.... but ok,.</P>

It did, but I think for other reasons. The biggest key to our revival was the return of Boley off injury.</P>

</P>

Morehead State
04-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Been wondering that. They'd probably get more value that way than with a straight-up trade. The Pats are in need of a pass rusher and they have two first rounders.</P>

Maybe New England? They would love Osi for a year or two. If Keachly is still there I would do that in a heartbeat.</P>

giantsfan420
04-26-2012, 02:46 PM

absolutely zero chance reyes goes in the 1rst, i'd be pissed if we took him in the first when he'll be available in the 3rd...

giantsfan420
04-26-2012, 02:47 PM

Been wondering that. They'd probably get more value that way than with a straight-up trade. The Pats are in need of a pass rusher and they have two first rounders.</P>

Maybe New England?* They would love Osi for a year or two.* If Keachly is still there I would do that in a heartbeat.</P>

the pats pick at 31 and 27 or something, not worth it to move up 4 spots...

giantsfan420
04-26-2012, 02:48 PM
i'd prefer to draft a de and keep osi...dont give into him. draft a de so in case osi is a ***** we can still have a rotation of 3 or 4 quality de's...

Martin
04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Totally agreed!

Boley was able to help line up the D.
He brought a leadershp out there
that put the D into sync.

Osi is talented but it was Boley
who brought them together.

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Hey RF, can we get a few more negative Osi threads going? Jeeeez. </p>

</p>

They are NEWS ARTICLES.

FBomb
04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
i'd prefer to draft a de and keep osi...dont give into him. draft a de so in case osi is a ***** we can still have a rotation of 3 or 4 quality de's...</P>

eh....I'd be ok with either way. Trade him or make him play it out works out for the Giants either way.</P>

Flip Empty
04-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Maybe New England? They would love Osi for a year or two. If Keachly is still there I would do that in a heartbeat.</P>

the pats pick at 31 and 27 or something, not worth it to move up 4 spots...
True. Could always strangle some other picks out of them though. Cincinnati?

Morehead State
04-26-2012, 02:53 PM

the pats pick at 31 and 27 or something, not worth it to move up 4 spots...</P>

You're right. No way Keachly makes it to 27. Oh well. Maybe we can find a chump....Oops!.....I mean "team willing to trade with us" to get us up to 15 or so.</P>

FBomb
04-26-2012, 02:56 PM

You're right. No way Keachly makes it to 27. Oh well. Maybe we can find a chump....Oops!.....I mean "team willing to trade with us" to get us up to 15 or so.</P>

</P>

Speaking of........Where are the Raiders picking?</P>

CDN_G-FAN
04-26-2012, 02:56 PM
i've said it a bunch of times, other than the public nature of all his comments, Osi's doing what most smart people would do in his place.</P>

Of course, so is Reese. I don't think Osi, at his age and contract situation, has any market value.</P>

This is the business of football, and other than Osi's tendency to make this whole thing very public, i don't begrudge either side in what they're doing.</P>

Flip Empty
04-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Nowhere. They gave their pick (which ended up being #17) to Cincinnati as part of the Carson Palmer trade.

Morehead State
04-26-2012, 03:03 PM

</P>

</P>

I think there first pick is in the 4th round. They are in "draft hell".</P>

Morehead State
04-26-2012, 03:05 PM
i've said it a bunch of times, other than the public nature of all his comments, Osi's doing what most smart people would do in his place.</P>

Of course, so is Reese. I don't think Osi, at his age and contract situation, has any market value.</P>

This is the business of football, and other than Osi's tendency to make this whole thing very public, i don't begrudge either side in what they're doing.</P>

</P>

Its not really what he's doing now that bugs me. Knowing what I know about him, I never expected him to show up for team workouts.</P>

Its been his general attitude for years now. Really since 08 especially that bugs me. Then called JR a liar, etc.....</P>

Just don't like those kind of guys. Give me guys with the attitude of Justin Tuck or Kenny Phillips any day of the week.</P>

byron
04-26-2012, 03:08 PM

This is the business of football, and other than <FONT color=#0000ff>Osi's tendency to make this whole thing very public</FONT>, i don't begrudge either side in what they're doing.</P>which is hurting him in many ways.....you want a nice supper you don't piss of the cook...

CDN_G-FAN
04-26-2012, 03:11 PM

</P>

Its not really what he's doing now that bugs me. Knowing what I know about him, I never expected him to show up for team workouts.</P>

Its been his general attitude for years now. Really since 08 especially that bugs me. Then called JR a liar, etc.....</P>

Just don't like those kind of guys. Give me guys with the attitude of Justin Tuck or Kenny Phillips any day of the week.</P>

</P>

Same. i've always said i'll accept less talent for more character 10 times out of 10.</P>

Osi's character hasn't been top 5-like.......</P>

</P>

CDN_G-FAN
04-26-2012, 03:12 PM

This is the business of football, and other than <FONT color=#0000ff>Osi's tendency to make this whole thing very public</FONT>, i don't begrudge either side in what they're doing.</P>

which is hurting him in many ways.....you want a nice supper you don't piss of the cook...</P>

+1</P>

Morehead State
04-26-2012, 03:13 PM

This is the business of football, and other than <FONT color=#0000ff>Osi's tendency to make this whole thing very public</FONT>, i don't begrudge either side in what they're doing.</P>

which is hurting him in many ways.....you want a nice supper you don't piss of the cook...</P>

+1</P>

</P>

Or the cook will piss in your food.</P>

Marvelousmik
04-26-2012, 03:20 PM

we wouldnt get a first for osi. i think we would get a 3rd at best

Flip Empty
04-26-2012, 03:23 PM

It'd be the #32 and Osi for another team's first. Giants trade up and another team trades down.

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 03:23 PM

I mean trade him to move up in the draft. We'd never get a first round in a trade.

nygsb42champs
04-26-2012, 03:28 PM
I think the players are saying the team line but inside they have to know it would have a negatice effect on the D if Osi is traded.

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 03:48 PM
I think the players are saying the team line but inside they have to know it would have a negatice effect on the D if Osi is traded.

Agreed, but which is worse, the drama of his public whining which has to have an effect in the locker room or his absence? Can Osi honestly be ALL-IN if they make him honor his contract?

buddy33
04-26-2012, 03:52 PM
The Giants control everything with this. If he holds out he loses money. He would lose money for the fines, and he would lose money on a new contract next year.

I like Osi, and they should keep him this year and let him go out and earn a big pay day.

As far as how they where with him and without, yeah I think they where better, but the difference this season was when Tuck started to play like Tuck at the end of the season.

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 04:04 PM
The Giants control everything with this. If he holds out he loses money. He would lose money for the fines, and he would lose money on a new contract next year.

I like Osi, and they should keep him this year and let him go out and earn a big pay day.

As far as how they where with him and without, yeah I think they where better, but the difference this season was <font color="#0000FF">when Tuck started to play like Tuck at the end of the season.</font>

No one can say Osi didn't play well last season when he played. But if we are to repeat every swinging **** in uniform has to put in 100% and I don't see Osi as being able to do that given his current state of mind. He's said other teams won't have to redo his current contract while saying the GIANTS do have to. That's just confusing for me.

nhpgiantsfan
04-26-2012, 04:27 PM
I find it funny how with 3 pages of posts, not one person mentioned how JPP said that he would be doing the "exact" same thing that Osi is doing. It just goes to show, it's not just Osi. This is how football works. Just wait until it's JPP's turn. If his progression continues the way it has, he will be asking to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. And he will probably deserve it.</P>

These guys pay their agents alot of money. They listen to them. Osi was coming off a year in which he played all 16 games, had 11.5 sacks, and forced 10 fumbles. He knew he wasn't going to have much more leverage than he had last year. But bottom line, these guys do what their agents think is best.</P>

JPP is an amazing young talent, and is a upcoming star. Hell he already is a star.. </P>

Tuck is a great leader, a very solid DE who plays the run very well.</P>

But... Osi can wreak havoc on a game. His ability to force fumles any time he gets to the quarterback makes him a true game changer.</P>

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 04:30 PM
I find it funny how with 3 pages of posts, not one person mentioned how JPP said that he would be doing the "exact" same thing that Osi is doing. It just goes to show, it's not just Osi. This is how football works. Just wait until it's JPP's turn. If his progression continues the way it has, he will be asking to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. And he will probably deserve it.</p>

These guys pay their agents alot of money. They listen to them. Osi was coming off a year in which he played all 16 games, had 11.5 sacks, and forced 10 fumbles. He knew he wasn't going to have much more leverage than he had last year. But bottom line, these guys do what their agents think is best.</p>

JPP is an amazing young talent, and is a upcoming star. Hell he already is a star.. </p>

Tuck is a great leader, a very solid DE who plays the run very well.</p>

But... Osi can wreak havoc on a game. His ability to force fumles any time he gets to the quarterback makes him a true game changer.</p>

How is it then he plays behind Tuck and JPP?

Morehead State
04-26-2012, 04:48 PM
I find it funny how with 3 pages of posts, not one person mentioned how JPP said that he would be doing the "exact" same thing that Osi is doing. It just goes to show, it's not just Osi. This is how football works. Just wait until it's JPP's turn. If his progression continues the way it has, he will be asking to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. And he will probably deserve it.</P>

These guys pay their agents alot of money. They listen to them. Osi was coming off a year in which he played all 16 games, had 11.5 sacks, and forced 10 fumbles. He knew he wasn't going to have much more leverage than he had last year. But bottom line, these guys do what their agents think is best.</P>

JPP is an amazing young talent, and is a upcoming star. Hell he already is a star.. </P>

But... Osi can wreak havoc on a game. His ability to force fumles any time he gets to the quarterback makes him a true game changer.</P>

</P>

PersonallyI have little problem with what Osi is doing now. What bothers me about Osi (off the field) is his general malcontent nature that has been going on for years.</P>

And no one would argue that Osi isn't a great pass rusher and play maker. His problem to me (on the field) is that he has uneven effort, plays often without the kind of dicipline that a player of his experience should play with, and is essentially a one dimentional player.</P>

He is not starting on our team, but certainly he has been a valuable part of our defensive attack, when healthy. And general health is another problem with Osi.</P>

Essentially Osi is a pass rush specialist with great vulnerability run defense. Not because he's not athletically able to play the run, but because he bites on misdirection and over persues. He loves to make the big play but he sacrifices the play in play out dicipline that we expect from a more complete DE.</P>

He thinks however, that he's Deacon Jones. And expects to be paid like it.</P>

But really....he's Fred Dean, at the end of his career.</P>

BTW...Fred Dean was a heck of a player, but he was a pass rush specialist.</P>

Strahan4gov
04-26-2012, 04:53 PM

If they can trade osi and move up to grab Hightower i'll throw in my cat, 23 dollars, a blender and an avacado.

Morehead State
04-26-2012, 04:57 PM

If they can trade osi and move up to grab Hightower i'll throw in my cat, 23 dollars, a blender and an avacado.</P>

Even I don't think that would be worth it.</P>

Keachly is a different matter though.</P>

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 04:59 PM

If they can trade osi and move up to grab Hightower i'll throw in my cat, 23 dollars, a blender and an avacado.

You might have to throw in a case of moon pies and an RC Cola

nhpgiantsfan
04-26-2012, 05:03 PM

</P>

Because he is a pass rushing specialist. I didnt say he was a better all around DE than Tuck or JPP. All I was saying is that he is more of a game changer. In other words, while Tuck will not let the running back have an open lane, or while he will put decent pressure on the QB, there is a better chance that Osi will actually make it to the QB and have the ball spinning on the ground when he is done.</P>

Morehead State
04-26-2012, 05:07 PM

</P>

Because he is a pass rushing specialist. I didnt say he was a better all around DE than Tuck or JPP. All I was saying is that he is more of a game changer. In other words, while Tuck will not let the running back have an open lane, or while he will put decent pressure on the QB, there is a better chance that Osi will actually make it to the QB and have the ball spinning on the ground when he is done.</P>

</P>

I'll be honest with you, right now I'd rather see JPP at right DE than I would Osi. JPP is out of position at left DE and always will be as long as Osi is on the field.</P>

We don't lose much or anything really, with JPP, Canty, Tuck and Kiwi on passing downs, than with Osi, Canty, Tuck and JPP.</P>

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 05:10 PM
I find it funny how with 3 pages of posts, not one person mentioned how JPP said that he would be doing the "exact" same thing that Osi is doing. It just goes to show, it's not just Osi. This is how football works. Just wait until it's JPP's turn. If his progression continues the way it has, he will be asking to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. And he will probably deserve it.</p>

These guys pay their agents alot of money. They listen to them. Osi was coming off a year in which he played all 16 games, had 11.5 sacks, and forced 10 fumbles. He knew he wasn't going to have much more leverage than he had last year. But bottom line, these guys do what their agents think is best.</p>

JPP is an amazing young talent, and is a upcoming star. Hell he already is a star.. </p>

Tuck is a great leader, a very solid DE who plays the run very well.</p>

But... Osi can wreak havoc on a game. His ability to force fumles any time he gets to the quarterback makes him a true game changer.</p>

</p>

Because he is a pass rushing specialist. I didnt say he was a better all around DE than Tuck or JPP. All I was saying is that he is more of a game changer. In other words, while Tuck will not let the running back have an open lane, or while he will put decent pressure on the QB, there is a better chance that Osi will actually make it to the QB and have the ball spinning on the ground when he is done.</p>

The only one who disagrees with your point about being pass rushing specialist is Osi:"

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. But I definitely feel like I'm an
every-down player," he said. "I feel like I'm one of the most dangerous
defensive ends in football. Not the best but the most dangerous. There's a
difference there. I want to be able to play, I want to be able to lay it out
there for everybody.

"There's this perception that I don't play the run (well) and all that stuff
and that just makes me so angry because there's no evidence on tape, especially
over these last two years, that that's true. So the fact everyone keeps saying
that, I just want to go out there and prove I can definitely do that."</p>

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/04/giants_osi_umenyiora_uncertain.html
</p>

</p>

Strahan4gov
04-26-2012, 05:11 PM

I was saving those 2 important deal sealing items for this next post where i bring up how i think the giants rate Hightower much higher than kuechly because of his ability to play DE and the versatility that brings. Not to mention he is literally the same size as Osi save an inch of height and 10 lbs of weight.

Morehead State
04-26-2012, 05:15 PM

I was saving those 2 important deal sealing items for this next post where i bring up how i think the giants rate Hightower much higher than kuechly because of his ability to play DE and the versatility that brings. Not to mention he is literally the same size as Osi save an inch of height and 10 lbs of weight.</P>

Isn't Hightower more of a 3-4 OLB guy. Whereas Kuechly is definately a 4-3 MLB with great cover skills. Very appropriate for Fewell's scheme.</P>

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 05:17 PM

I was saving those 2 important deal sealing items for this next post where i bring up how i think the giants rate Hightower much higher than kuechly because of his ability to play DE and the versatility that brings. Not to mention he is literally the same size as Osi save an inch of height and 10 lbs of weight.

Good strategy

Strahan4gov
04-26-2012, 05:20 PM

I was saving those 2 important deal sealing items for this next post where i bring up how i think the giants rate Hightower much higher than kuechly because of his ability to play DE and the versatility that brings. Not to mention he is literally the same size as Osi save an inch of height and 10 lbs of weight.</P>

Isn't Hightower more of a 3-4 OLB guy.* Whereas Kuechly is definately a 4-3 MLB with great cover skills.* Very appropriate for Fewell's scheme.</P>

I would love either pick up honestly, and it makes sense in fewell's scheme for sure, but i still think about that 4-2-5 we run, and how great it would be when the LB moves up and lines up as DE.

Morehead State
04-26-2012, 05:21 PM

Isn't Hightower more of a 3-4 OLB guy. Whereas Kuechly is definately a 4-3 MLB with great cover skills. Very appropriate for Fewell's scheme.</P>

I would love either pick up honestly, and it makes sense in fewell's scheme for sure, but i still think about that 4-2-5 we run, and how great it would be when the LB moves up and lines up as DE.</P>

Its a very good point.</P>

jomo
04-26-2012, 05:41 PM
giants defense actually improved substantially with Osi in the lineup.... but ok,.lol, and Boley just happened to miss that!

Redeyejedi
04-26-2012, 05:42 PM

Isn't Hightower more of a 3-4 OLB guy.* Whereas Kuechly is definately a 4-3 MLB with great cover skills.* Very appropriate for Fewell's scheme.</P>Great Cover Skills? Id sy average. I wouldnt draft a wrap up tackler in the First Round thats just me.

JJC7301
04-27-2012, 01:14 AM
giants defense actually improved substantially with Osi in the lineup.... but ok,.
Agreed. I don't know what Boley meant by the Giants D being good last year without Osi.

rainierjef
04-27-2012, 01:24 AM

What else is he gong to say? We are doomed! It might just be an indication that some of the players don't like the drama Osi brings.

Osi has been begging to be traded for the last two years. If he gets his wish, they are going to have to play with whoever is here. Linval Joseph was impressive last year and Marvin Austin is now healthy but as yet untested. I would not be surprised id they take a DL in the first round and I would also see that as a signal that Osi is done.

Could they use Osi as trade bait to move up into the middle of the 1st round?

you know whats funny?
if it was osi saying something similar you would be pissed off calling him all sort of crap. but because its boley its "what is he supposed to say?"
i don't think anyone has told you this before on here but i'll gladly say it and i mean no disrespect but your a hypocrite

G-Men Surg.
04-27-2012, 01:41 AM

As far as how they where with him and without, yeah I think they where better, but the difference this season was <font color="#0000FF">when Tuck started to play like Tuck at the end of the season.</font>

No one can say Osi didn't play well last season when he played.* But if we are to repeat every swinging **** in uniform has to put in 100% and I don't see Osi as being able to do that given his current state of mind.* He's said other teams won't have to redo his current contract while saying the GIANTS do have to.* That's just confusing for me.

In a sense its not so confusing because he also said he wants to start and prove his worth to another team. If he plays out his contract there's no chance in he'll he starts over JPP next season.