PDA

View Full Version : Cruz "I dont play for the big bucks"

Giants Of New Jersey
04-26-2012, 03:47 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2012/04/26/new-york-giants-victor-cruz-i-dont-play-football-for-the-big-bucks/

ny06
04-26-2012, 03:49 PM
That's very nice indeed, but he is lying through his teeth. </P>

Every pro athlete plays for the big money. </P>

Giants Of New Jersey
04-26-2012, 03:53 PM
of course he is probably lying, but it is nice to at least see him saying the right thing. he knows his payday is coming so obviously he is going to play it cool, but at least it gives hope to hanging on to cruz and nicks. i cant see someone like cruz leaving the NY market.

G-Man67
04-26-2012, 03:56 PM
haha, come on stop bugging the kid ... go get quotes from Tebow

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Why does he have to be lying? I agree he's an oddity to say:
<div style="MARGIN: 5px"><div style="POSITION: absolute; VISIBILITY: hidden; TOP: 0px; LEFT: 0px" id="beacon_566c82714c">http://d1.openx.org/lg.php?bannerid=544983&amp;campaignid=255373&amp;zoneid=86 840&amp;loc=1&amp;referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.giants101.com%2 F2012%2F04%2F26%2Fnew-york-giants-victor-cruz-i-dont-play-football-for-the-big-bucks%2F&amp;cb=566c82714c&amp;r_id=9716d88f5eda5f59cedcd7 6e5f817aa4&amp;r_ts=m33odk</div></div>

<blockquote>

ďI donít want to be the guy thatís going to hold out for money reasons,Ē Cruz told CBSNewYork.com (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/25/victor-cruz-im-not-in-football-for-the-big-bucks/). ďI play this game for the sheer love
of it. You know, when you were young, you didnít play this game for money. You
just play your game. You do what God put you on this earth to do. Thatís how Iím
gonna approach it.Ē</p></blockquote>

He seems to be more business savvy than most professional athletes and he knows his pay day is coming. Everything he has said to date about his contract he has backed up with his actions. He has acknowledged he should be making more money while at the same time assuring he intends to play the game and let the people he has hired to handle his contract do what he's paying them for.</p>

I like the kid and believe him.
</p>

Toadofsteel
04-26-2012, 04:12 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/68/tumblr_kudj1dFTrj1qzvqipo1_400.png

Nothing new here. Vic is smart, as other posters have mentioned. He wasn't given a silver spoon out of college, he wasn't an early pick like Osi, he knows what it's like to truly not have anyone want to pick you for their team.

slipknottin
04-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Not true. Every pro athlete may want money, but many dont play the game for that.

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 04:14 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/68/tumblr_kudj1dFTrj1qzvqipo1_400.png

Nothing new here. Vic is smart, as other posters have mentioned. He wasn't given a silver spoon out of college, he wasn't an early pick like Osi, he knows what it's like to truly not have anyone want to pick you for their team.

All of that AND his mother would kill him [;)]

ny06
04-26-2012, 04:16 PM

Not true. Every pro athlete may want money, but many dont play the game for that.</P>

And you know this how? </P>

Your missing the point, athletes get to where they are cause of the sheer love of the game. But once they get into the professional level it's not a game anymore, but a business. </P>

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 04:21 PM
That's very nice indeed, but he is lying through his teeth. </p>

Every pro athlete plays for the big money. </p>

Not true. Every pro athlete may want money, but many dont play the game for that.</p>

And you know this how? </p>

Your missing the point, athletes get to where they are cause of the sheer love of the game. But once they get into the professional level it's not a game anymore, but a business. </p>

I think you may be missing the point. When you get to the NFL the "money" is there to be had depending on your skill sets. The majority of professional football players sign and honor their contracts without any fuss whatsoever. They are playing a game they love and are lucky enough to be paid obscene amounts of money to do just that.

G-Man67
04-26-2012, 04:25 PM
i think our edge with Victor is that he has become somewhat of a celebrity and his celebrity will always shine brighter in NY</P>

if he were to go to KC or St. Louis or Arizona ... he wouldn't get the endorsement opportunities or other TV opportunities as readily</P>

so when the time comes that could buy us a slight discount, but you how it goes ... Brandon was Big Blue thru and thru but when we made a offer that was quite a bit less than what he expected ... he got insulted and he probably made up his mind to leave</P>

i know it's not a perfect example b/c we may have wanted BJ to leave to make room andopportunityfor younger backs and certainly we will want to keep Cruz around as long as possible</P>

gumby742
04-26-2012, 04:42 PM
As much as I love him for saying that, he's not going to skip a 5 million dollar pay day for 500k a year.

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 04:50 PM
As much as I love him for saying that, he's not going to skip a 5 million dollar pay day for 500k a year.

Of course he isn't. He is simply saying he will play football while the people he has hired to handle his NFL contract will do that.

nygpolishpunk
04-26-2012, 04:56 PM

Of course he isn't. He is simply saying he will play football while the people he has hired to handle his NFL contract will do that.
If only every player approached contract situations this way. Cruz knows he's getting paid and the best thing he could do at this point is focus on working out and staying in tip top shape for next season. Smart kid!

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 05:02 PM

If only every player approached contract situations this way. Cruz knows he's getting paid and the best thing he could do at this point is focus on working out and staying in tip top shape for next season. Smart kid!

[Y]

burier
04-26-2012, 05:39 PM
LOL