PDA

View Full Version : Giants Sign Shaun Rodgers

Redeyejedi
04-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Interesting. Had heard they were nosing around Haynesworth. RT @Giants: The @Giants have signed DT Shaun Rogers #nyg

giantsfan420
04-26-2012, 04:53 PM
thank god, not so much bc of who it is, but bc this almost guarantees we dont waste our 1rst on Still...

WR/DE here we come. Possibly TE/RB but from the beat writers posts, the Giants aren't going that route in the 1rst and that is prob for the best bc the 2nd round is going to have a ton of talent at both those positions...

Redeyejedi
04-26-2012, 04:56 PM
thank god, not so much bc of who it is, but bc this almost guarantees we dont waste our 1rst on Still...

WR/DE here we come. Possibly TE/RB but from the beat writers posts, the Giants aren't going that route in the 1rst and that is prob for the best bc the 2nd round is going to have a ton of talent at both those positions...2nd round either take Dwayne Allen or the best RB.2nd Round is the sweet spot for RB's I think

gmen0820
04-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Nice signing. Great addition to a DT rotation, hopefully he can keep his conditioning at a reasonable level.

GiantSteps13
04-26-2012, 04:57 PM
We are drafting a DE. Surprised?

M0rbid
04-26-2012, 04:59 PM
When motivated he was a beast with the Browns.

Gmen2005
04-26-2012, 04:59 PM
wow

gmen0820
04-26-2012, 05:01 PM
When motivated he was a beast with the Browns.
I don't think motivation is his issue, unless you are tying that together with conditioning.

Keep him on a snap count, and he will pay dividends.

Flip Empty
04-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Didn't see this one coming. He was a Saint last season, wasn't he? I've no idea of his quality anymore.

Eli TO Shockey
04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
another gem by JR. im sure iits not much more than vet min.

M0rbid
04-26-2012, 05:04 PM
I hope he revive his career with teh Giants. Couple years ago, he was almost impossible to block even with double/triple teaming him. He was that good.

egyptian420
04-26-2012, 05:04 PM
O..M...G......wooooow.....this is HUGE!!!! So pumped right now

nycsportzfan
04-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Reply Retweet Favorite · Open Interesting. Had heard they were nosing around Haynesworth. RT @Giants: The @Giants have signed DT Shaun Rogers #nyg not a bad signing.. hes still a decent player..

TheEnigma
04-26-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't think this signing affects our draft decisions to be honest but I do like the acquisition.

Redeyejedi
04-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Reply Retweet Favorite · Open Interesting. Had heard they were nosing around Haynesworth. RT @Giants: The @Giants have signed DT Shaun Rogers #nyg not a bad signing.. hes still a decent player..Better then Bernard probably

gmen0820
04-26-2012, 05:08 PM
I hope he revive his career with teh Giants. Couple years ago, he was almost impossible to block even with double/triple teaming him. He was that good.
His career doesn't need reviving, he never was a DT who could year in, year out play upwards of 75% of his respective teams snaps.

If we can keep him on a 30-35% snap count leash like New Orleans did, we just got that much tougher in the teeth of our defense.

NewYorkSwagg
04-26-2012, 05:08 PM
YES, I like this signing we can keep him for at lease 3 or 4 more years rotating and he is durable as well.

bandwgn86
04-26-2012, 05:09 PM
+1.. hes nasty.

egyptian420
04-26-2012, 05:11 PM
+1.. hes nasty.
agreed...even though he's 33 he's still servicable Big time....with him, Canty, and Linval in the rotation with Austin backing them up, I think we're good at DT

gmen0820
04-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Reply Retweet Favorite · Open Interesting. Had heard they were nosing around Haynesworth. RT @Giants: The @Giants have signed DT Shaun Rogers #nyg not a bad signing.. hes still a decent player..Better then Bernard probablyProbably. This is what people should expect though from Rogers. However much you saw Bernard on the field last year is how much you should expect to see Rogers.

slipknottin
04-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Garafolo says he heard they were sniffing around Haynesworth too.

Wouldn't rule out a Haynesworth signing as well at some point.

Also wouldn't rule out still drafting a DT, just perhaps not as early as they would have without this signing.

A year old, but indication of how well Rodgers was still playing - http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/02/11/shaun-rogers-worth-the-risk-and-then-some/

bandwgn86
04-26-2012, 05:14 PM

<FONT size=5>Wouldn't rule out a Haynesworth signing as well at some point.
</FONT>
Also wouldn't rule out still drafting a DT, just perhaps not as early as they would have without this signing.

A year old, but indication of how well Rodgers was still playing - http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/02/11/shaun-rogers-worth-the-risk-and-then-some/
DO IT JR!!!

Flip Empty
04-26-2012, 05:17 PM
He was on a 1 year/$4 mil contract with the Saints, so i'm guessing his Giants contract would be a bit less than that?

GMENAGAIN
04-26-2012, 05:19 PM

<FONT size=5>Wouldn't rule out a Haynesworth signing as well at some point.
</FONT>

DO IT JR!!!</P>

I would be pissed if we signed Haynseworth . . . the guy is total garbage.</P>

egyptian420
04-26-2012, 05:19 PM

<font size="5">Wouldn't rule out a Haynesworth signing as well at some point.
</font>

DO IT JR!!!</p>

I would be pissed if we signed Haynseworth . . . the guy is total garbage.</p>
this

slipknottin
04-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Hes actually been quite effective when on the field recently. For the vet minimum, if he doesnt play well, then cut him, no big deal.

nycsportzfan
04-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Reply Retweet Favorite · Open Interesting. Had heard they were nosing around Haynesworth. RT @Giants: The @Giants have signed DT Shaun Rogers #nyg not a bad signing.. hes still a decent player..Better then Bernard probably Ya, and this isnt that surprising anyhow.. Reese did mention he was worried about Austin not playing in 2seasons now..

nycsportzfan
04-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Reply Retweet Favorite · Open Interesting. Had heard they were nosing around Haynesworth. RT @Giants: The @Giants have signed DT Shaun Rogers #nyg not a bad signing.. hes still a decent player..Better then Bernard probablyProbably. This is what people should expect though from Rogers. However much you saw Bernard on the field last year is how much you should expect to see Rogers. That all depends on if Canty stays in 2012 form, and how Austin plays, being that hes missed 2seasons in a row of football now, basically.. Reese all ready said he was worried about that, and a few weeks later, he makes this signing.. So, this signing is really not a surprise at all..

radar-ray
04-26-2012, 05:30 PM

<font size="5">Wouldn't rule out a Haynesworth signing as well at some point.
</font>

DO IT JR!!!</p>

this
This x 2. No, to that dirtbag.

Shockeystays08
04-26-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm guessing he comes with no bounty penalty?

slipknottin
04-26-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm guessing he comes with no bounty penalty?

He was only on the saints last season, and didnt play very many snaps. So doubt he even had much of an opportunity to go out and try to hurt anyone.

Aperspective
04-26-2012, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzvbZniafDY

B&RWarrior
04-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Awesome pickup!!!! He's a great run stuffer too.He's not what he used to be but good enough. He works for this year but expect him to retire next year. This signing doesn't change howwe draft. BPA all the way.

NYGRealityCheck
04-26-2012, 06:07 PM
I remeber this guy is huge and was a force on the Lions and the Browns.

You talk about plugging the run up the middle just from shear size, this is the guy...

giantyankee1976
04-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Welcome to Big Blue Shaun !!!

(Hope you Canty, Joseph and Austin dominate the middle.)

B&RWarrior
04-26-2012, 06:32 PM

</P>

Great guy for Marvin Austin to learn from. This is a low price high value pick up. JR is money!! I dare you to say different. </P>

TrueBlue@NYC
04-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Don't expect him to make a hige impact, but it's another nice piece to the puzzle. Seems like he'd be a good back-up to Joseph in playing that clogging role in the middle of the defense. Should also be a big help on the goal line.

jomo
04-26-2012, 06:36 PM
As a veteran he sure knows how to say the right things.</P>

“I’m kind of honored and I appreciated them holding me in a regard enough to put me in along those guys,” <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:CITY w:st="on"><ST1:PLACE w:st="on">Rogers</ST1:PLACE></ST1:CITY> said. “Those guys are most definitely top-notch pass rushers, defensive linemen right now, especially in their prime. I’m just happy to be a part of that group, those guys are going to help me out and hopefully I can help them out.

“Hopefully, we can be another Super Bowl champion. You get an opportunity to join an organization of this caliber with lofty goals and a great track record, you go ahead and do that. Hopefully, I can bring some of my experience over the past few years and just fit in and play a part.”
</P>

On his first few hours as a Giant, I grade him with an "A".</P>

giantyankee1976
04-26-2012, 06:39 PM

</p>

Great guy for Marvin Austin to learn from. This is a low price high value pick up. JR is money!! I dare you to say different. </p>

+1

NYGRealityCheck
04-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Don't expect him to make a hige impact, but it's another nice piece to the puzzle. Seems like he'd be a good back-up to Joseph in playing that clogging role in the middle of the defense. Should also be a big help on the goal line.

Perhaps a chance at a Superbowl ring on a legitimate team this year may light the fire within him.
Why else would he sign with the Saints for less money in 2011?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Rogers_(American_football)

YATittle1962
04-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Nice signing. Great addition to a DT rotation, hopefully he can keep his conditioning at a reasonable level.

and leave his gun at home

:)

gmen0820
04-26-2012, 07:02 PM

and leave his gun at home

:)Haha yeah that too

giantsfan420
04-26-2012, 07:06 PM
im surprised no one has looked at this from the perspective that rogers has never had the luxury of playing alongside all pro DE's...he used to get double and triple teamed. now dont get me wrong, he is not gonna be the guy he was 4 or so years ago, but i have no doubt he'll still be too much for just a G or just a C to handle...he's gonna be getting a lot of push up the middle which is a great thing for our de's

Desepx
04-26-2012, 07:09 PM
im surprised no one has looked at this from the perspective that rogers
has never had the luxury of playing alongside all pro DE's...he used to
get double and triple teamed. now dont get me wrong, he is not gonna be
the guy he was 4 or so years ago, but i have no doubt he'll still be too
much for just a G or just a C to handle...he's gonna be getting a lot
of push up the middle which is a great thing for our de's

exactly

NYGRealityCheck
04-26-2012, 07:11 PM
im surprised no one has looked at this from the perspective that rogers has never had the luxury of playing alongside all pro DE's...he used to get double and triple teamed. now dont get me wrong, he is not gonna be the guy he was 4 or so years ago, but i have no doubt he'll still be too much for just a G or just a C to handle...he's gonna be getting a lot of push up the middle which is a great thing for our de's

Could you imagine cycling Canty, Joseph, Rodgers, Austin, and even Tuck in the DT positions?

The opponent's downhil run game is going to have a rough game all day to say the least...

RedskinHater
04-26-2012, 07:12 PM
I would not sign Haynesworth to clean up sweaty jocks. The man is a total loser ![:$]

NYGRealityCheck
04-26-2012, 07:16 PM
*I would not sign Haynesworth to clean up sweaty jocks. The man is a total loser ![:$]

Hey now, he can be useful like being a personal sun shade during the summer.

B&RWarrior
04-26-2012, 07:35 PM
He's been brought in to fill the void that Bernard left as a reserve that we bring in on running downs. This isn't a high impact signing. It fills a need. Great move.

Redeyejedi
04-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Nice signing. Great addition to a DT rotation, hopefully he can keep his conditioning at a reasonable level. and leave his gun at home :)</P>

Why do that when he can roll with Austin</P>

http://www.statefansnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/gun1.jpg</P>

paul007
04-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Excellent acquisition!
Out interior DLine is done: Canty, Joseph, Austin, Rogers

Hmmm, Round 1 its either DE or OT Jonathan Martin, he can play LT and RT

A possible scenario:
If round 1 is DE, we can get a good RT in round 6
round 1 = DE
rounds 2-4 = WR, RB, TE any order!
Round 6 OT
Round 7 Safety

Honestly i believe thew Giants will hit alot of homeruns this draft:
Overall positions picks, I hope we get:
2 Offensive Linemen (OT, and G), WR, RB, TE, DE, S

B&RWarrior
04-26-2012, 07:47 PM
I just got a scouting report from a Aints fan. Rodgers didn't do much of anything last year in the N.O. Says he was very disappointed because the defense was weak and he still barely got on the field. He doesn't think Rogers has anything left in the tank.

GMENAGAIN
04-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Signing a 33 year old DT will have absolutely no impact whatsoever as to whether or not we select a DT in the first round of this draft.

buddy33
04-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Well the Giants don't have much room under the cap so he had to come cheap. If he doesn't have anything lefy just cut him.

I could still see them drafting a DT in then1st.

GMENAGAIN
04-26-2012, 07:52 PM
YES, I like this signing we can keep him for at lease 3 or 4 more years rotating and he is durable as well.</P>

3 or 4 years? lol</P>

derekunion28
04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
lol no bounty penalty please and ,,,,,,, no way to hanesfat

Rat_bastich
04-26-2012, 08:08 PM
"Signing a 33 year old DT will have absolutely no impact whatsoever as to whether or not we select a DT in the first round of this draft. "

I agree GMENAGAIN and still think Devon Still is coming to us.