PDA

View Full Version : How does that Mathews kid for GB constantly make plays?

jakegibbs
12-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Watching him last week & again today how does he do it. He's always getting a lot of double teams or at least being chipped by TE or RB & all he does is wreak offenses.

They don't have a player of his caliber on the team. The closest to him is JPP but he's always got his hand in the dirt on every play. Mathews can do it all. Plays with hand in dirt, LB & can cover any TE or RB in this leage on pass plays.

Message to JR the GM.. Find another Mathews & get him drafted to help out the Giants defense.

One player of his caliber would put this team in SB contention next year.

miked1958
12-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Watching him last week & again today how does he do it. He's always getting a lot of double teams or at least being chipped by TE or RB & all he does is wreak offenses.

They don't have a player of his caliber on the team. The closest to him is JPP but he's always got his hand in the dirt on every play. Mathews can do it all. Plays with hand in dirt, LB & can cover any TE or RB in this leage on pass plays.

Message to JR the GM.. Find another Mathews & get him drafted to help out the Giants defense.

He has been doing these type things since he came into the league.
I think he was undrafted FA that the Packers signed. I could be wrong. Maybe someone could shed some light on that. What a pick up though

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Watching him last week &amp; again today how does he do it. He's always getting a lot of double teams or at least being chipped by TE or RB &amp; all he does is wreak offenses. They don't have a player of his caliber on the team. The closest to him is JPP but he's always got his hand in the dirt on every play. Mathews can do it all. Plays with hand in dirt, LB &amp; can cover any TE or RB in this leage on pass plays. Message to JR the GM.. Find another Mathews &amp; get him drafted to help out the Giants defense. One player of his caliber would put this team in SB contention next year. He has been doing these type things since he came into the league. I think he was undrafted FA that the Packers signed. I could be wrong. Maybe someone could shed some light on that. What a pick up though</P>

</P>

No he was a 1st round draft pick by the pack</P>

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MattCl99.htm</P>

miked1958
12-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Also it's not that easy. Players like him are hard to come by

jakegibbs
12-11-2011, 07:07 PM

The Pack just draft really well. Mathews, Rogers are just examples. They also trade well too. Got a RB from the Giants that we desperately could have used this season.

Rusty192
12-11-2011, 07:08 PM
this is how

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1BqZkRpCFEPdV5KpfliO43ntYCpV-s2AAptw00DN9FvZTLWsdEQ

miked1958
12-11-2011, 07:09 PM

Yes he had a nice 40 yard run for the Packs first TD

The Pack just draft really well. Mathews, Rogers are just examples. They also trade well too. Got a RB from the Giants that we desperately could have used this season.

miked1958
12-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Watching him last week & again today how does he do it. He's always getting a lot of double teams or at least being chipped by TE or RB & all he does is wreak offenses. They don't have a player of his caliber on the team. The closest to him is JPP but he's always got his hand in the dirt on every play. Mathews can do it all. Plays with hand in dirt, LB & can cover any TE or RB in this leage on pass plays. Message to JR the GM.. Find another Mathews & get him drafted to help out the Giants defense. One player of his caliber would put this team in SB contention next year. He has been doing these type things since he came into the league. I think he was undrafted FA that the Packers signed. I could be wrong. Maybe someone could shed some light on that. What a pick up though</P>

*</P>

No he was a 1st round draft pick by the pack</P>

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MattCl99.htm</P>
Thanks....I don't know what I was thinking of

NYCDBS
12-11-2011, 08:53 PM
You might have been thinking about him being a walk on at USC and then swelling up like a water balloon. I think he was about 170 lbs when he was a freshman... Draw your own conclusions...

Pop it Ahmad
12-12-2011, 01:39 AM

You said the closest to him is JPP

I say that guy IS , J.P.P,

krygny
12-12-2011, 01:43 AM
this is how

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1BqZkRpCFEPdV5KpfliO43ntYCpV-s2AAptw00DN9FvZTLWsdEQ

No question. The guy's a juice head.

T-Murda84
12-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Von Miller is exciting to watch too...we need a stud linebacker like that...who can play in the 4-3 and even rush the passer as well. The dude is a beast.

gmen0820
12-12-2011, 01:47 AM
this is how

No question. The guy's a juice head.

Him and Cushing. Everyone knew Cushing was a juicehead coming out but it was just a matter of how confident teams were in his ability to mask it.

I believe the case to be true with Matthews as well.

slipknottin
12-12-2011, 01:59 AM
Von Miller is exciting to watch too...we need a stud linebacker like that...who can play in the 4-3 and even rush the passer as well. The dude is a beast.

Denver is going to end up moving back to a 3-4. They already run a bunch of 3-4 concepts. Miller is best on the line where he can make plays in the backfield.

Miller is, or will be, as good as LT. Assuming he can stay healthy.

gmen0820
12-12-2011, 02:02 AM

Denver is going to end up moving back to a 3-4. They already run a bunch of 3-4 concepts. Miller is best on the line where he can make plays in the backfield.

Miller is, or will be, as good as LT. Assuming he can stay healthy.Miller has been good in the 43 but I like him much more as a 34 or 50 OLB as opposed to a down lineman.

slipknottin
12-12-2011, 02:15 AM

Miller is, or will be, as good as LT. Assuming he can stay healthy.Miller has been good in the 43 but I like him much more as a 34 or 50 OLB as opposed to a down lineman.

Yea, Denver doesn't play him often as a traditional 4-3 Lb. usually he's up on the line, giving them essentially a 50 front. If dumervil had his hand up on the opposite side they would be a 3-4 team.

But either way, the more they let him come up and attack, the better he looks

gmen0820
12-12-2011, 10:09 PM

Yea, Denver doesn't play him often as a traditional 4-3 Lb. usually he's up on the line, giving them essentially a 50 front. If dumervil had his hand up on the opposite side they would be a 3-4 team.

But either way, the more they let him come up and attack, the better he looksOh okay. We are on the same page with this one, I just misinterpreted your post.

BParcells777
12-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Watching him last week &amp; again today how does he do it. He's always getting a lot of double teams or at least being chipped by TE or RB &amp; all he does is wreak offenses.

They don't have a player of his caliber on the team. The closest to him is JPP but he's always got his hand in the dirt on every play. Mathews can do it all. Plays with hand in dirt, LB &amp; can cover any TE or RB in this leage on pass plays.

Message to JR the GM.. Find another Mathews &amp; get him drafted to help out the Giants defense.

Thats like asking how does JPP and Troy Polamalu constantly make plays???........they are Supermen

I begged Reese to trade down on 2008 to get Matthews or Brian Cushing.....he totally ignored me.

What is that man's PROBLEM?

Mr Reese- "DO YOU HEAR THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH?"
(you have to be an ESPN radio listener to understand this joke) excuse me

slipknottin
12-12-2011, 10:22 PM

Thats like asking how does JPP and Troy Polamalu constantly make plays???........they are Supermen

I begged Reese to trade down on 2008 to get Matthews or Brian Cushing.....he totally ignored me.

(you have to be an ESPN radio listener to understand this joke)** excuse me

Instead, Reese drafted Nicks, who is a top 10 WR in this league.

BParcells777
12-12-2011, 10:27 PM
good retort but who's to say we could not have drafted both? Nicks might have slipped to the 2nd round, he was not a household name......

anyway we need a Matthews more than a Nicks....

again water over the dam

I was just responding to the posters question

slipknottin
12-12-2011, 10:35 PM
good retort but who's to say we could not have drafted both?** Nicks might have slipped to the 2nd round, he was not a household name......

again water over the dam

Uh, Nicks was not going to fall. Titans drafted a WR one pick after the giants.

And the giants need a nicks far more than a Matthews. They already have a couple good pass rushers, without Nicks they had nothing at WR. Let's not forget they were starting Hixon after Burress shot himself

BK07071
12-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Watching him last week &amp; again today how does he do it. He's always getting a lot of double teams or at least being chipped by TE or RB &amp; all he does is wreak offenses.

They don't have a player of his caliber on the team. The closest to him is JPP but he's always got his hand in the dirt on every play. Mathews can do it all. Plays with hand in dirt, LB &amp; can cover any TE or RB in this leage on pass plays.

Message to JR the GM.. Find another Mathews &amp; get him drafted to help out the Giants defense.

Because he's that good ! That's why !

TuckYou
12-12-2011, 11:00 PM

In order to get great LBs, odds are we have to draft them before the 4th round.

Ahmad44rushHARD
12-12-2011, 11:16 PM
something about 3-4.. 5 guys on the line,
Tackle is ready to black, then woops, matthews drops back in coverage. yea sure. he is rushing most of the time. but the tackle can't take the risk that he'll drop back. + he is always one on one. and then there is the blitz schemes.

some guerrilla warefare 15H

gmen0820
12-12-2011, 11:17 PM

(you have to be an ESPN radio listener to understand this joke)** excuse me

Well for starters, we would have to trade up because both players were gone before we picked and then you consider that we got a player in Nicks who has by far proven his value.

If we want to play the hindsight game though, how about LeSean McCoy over Clint Sintim?

jhamburg
12-12-2011, 11:24 PM

Personally if you asked me to trade JPP for Matthews straight up I'd laugh in your face. I'm sure GB fans feel the same way, which is fine.

Roswell777
12-12-2011, 11:43 PM
good retort but who's to say we could not have drafted both?** Nicks might have slipped to the 2nd round, he was not a household name......

again water over the dam

Uh, Nicks was not going to fall. Titans drafted a WR one pick after the giants.

And the giants need a nicks far more than a Matthews. They already have a couple good pass rushers, without Nicks they had nothing at WR. Let's not forget they were starting Hixon after Burress shot himself

I'm a big Nicks fan but the Giants need a Matthews way more than they need Nicks.

Matthews is much more than a pass rusher. He is exactly what the Giants need.

A defensive leader and a great LB who makes game changing plays. The Giants would trade Nicks in a heartbeat for Matthews.

No disrespect to Nicks, who is an excellent WR but Matthews is one of the top five defensive players in the NFL.

slipknottin
12-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Completely disagree. Matthews is a pass rusher, an excellent one, but a pass rusher. Giants have those.

Without Nicks the giants offense is nowhere near as good as it is right now

Let's not forget that clay Matthews is the "leader" of the worst defense in football right now

Roswell777
12-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Completely disagree. Matthews is a pass rusher, an excellent one, but a pass rusher. Giants have those.

Let's not forget that clay Matthews is the "leader" of the worst defense in football right now

I don't think that there is a GM in the NFL that wouldn't trade Hakeem Nicks for Clay Matthews. Including Reese.

Whether you want to hold him responsible for Green Bay's defensive deficiencies or not. He is, in all likelihood, a future Hall Of Famer.

Other than Ray Lewis, and possibly Urlacher, he is the best LB to come along since the real LT.

slipknottin
12-13-2011, 12:13 AM

I don't think that there is a GM in the NFL that wouldn't trade Hakeem Nicks for Clay Matthews. Including Reese.

Whether you want to hold him responsible for Green Bay's defensive deficiencies or not. He is, in all likelihood, a future Hall Of Famer.

Other than Ray Lewis, and possibly Urlacher, he is the best LB to come along since the real LT.

Disagree with all of that. I don't think the giants would trade nicks for Matthews. Matthews doesn't even fit what the giants do on defense.

And I'd take Von miller over Matthews if we were talking "the next LT"

egyptian420
12-13-2011, 12:28 AM

Disagree with all of that. I don't think the giants would trade nicks for Matthews. Matthews doesn't even fit what the giants do on defense.

D.Ware&gt;Matthews......easily....and I would still rather have nicks because he's our #1 wr

Roswell777
12-13-2011, 12:28 AM

While I agree that Miller has a chance to be great, Matthews already is great, and was an integral part of winning last year's SB with his game changing play.

Definitely disagree that he couldn't make the transition to another defensive philosophy. He has both the skill and the will, which, coupled with his sorely needed defensive leadership qualities would transform the Giants into a much better defense.

Nicks and a second and a fourth for Matthews in a heartbeat.

egyptian420
12-13-2011, 12:30 AM

While I agree that Miller has a chance to be great, Matthews already is great, and was an integral part of winning last year's SB with his game changing play.

Definitely disagree that he couldn't make the transition to another defensive philosophy. He has both the skill and the will, which, coupled with his sorely needed defensive leadership qualities would transform the Giants into a much better defense.

Whattt???? you gotta be kidding me

gmen0820
12-13-2011, 12:35 AM
I'd rather have Nicks and draft a Courtney Upshaw and have Kevin Greene coach him up.

Roswell777
12-13-2011, 12:38 AM

I believe he is a transcendent player. Did you guys ever see LT play? While not as good as LT, Matthews has an ability to take over a game and the bigger the game, the better he plays.

Nicks is an excellent WR that is injury prone.

Where do the Giants have a greater need? At WR or defensive leadership and the LB position?

slipknottin
12-13-2011, 12:40 AM

Without Nicks the giants offense is nowhere near as good as it is right now.

And as I said, I think there are other better pass rushers in the league. Von Miller being one of them.

I believe he is a transcendent player. Did you guys ever see LT play? While not as good as LT, Matthews has an ability to take over a game and the bigger the game, the better he plays.

Where do the Giants have a greater need? At WR or defensive leadership and the LB position?

Clay Matthews is a good linebacker, but a great pass rusher. You bring him here he does what Kiwi does. An improvement sure, but he would be better off as a pass rusher every down like he is for Gb.

Remove Nicks from the giants offense and the giants need a WR far far more than they need another pass rusher

Roswell777
12-13-2011, 12:49 AM

Without Nicks the giants offense is nowhere near as good as it is right now.

And as I said, I think there are other better pass rushers in the league. Von Miller being one of them.

Clay Matthews is a good linebacker, but a great pass rusher. You bring him here he does what Kiwi does. An improvement sure, but he would be better off as a pass rusher every down like he is for Gb.

Remove Nicks from the giants offense and the giants need a WR far far more than they need another pass rusher

You vastly underestimate Clay Matthews. Name some players on the defensive side of the ball that are better than him.

Factor in that the Giants are a rudderless ship on defense and haven't had a great linebacker since Armstead. And Matthews is a much better player than Armstead. Matthews is in his prime and is way more than a pass rusher.

He makes plays all over the field.

lawl
12-13-2011, 01:51 AM
Clay Matthews talents would be wasted in a 4-3. </P>

</P>