PDA

View Full Version : NFL knows how to kill a draft

Spytheweb
04-27-2012, 12:59 AM
I don't know if anybody else feels this way but, move the draft to Saturday and Sunday. Kick it off at 12:00 PM- 9:00PM and then Sun 11:00AM-until.

Today was not fun at all for me. I know the NFL is trying to string this out and it ain't working. I think the best part of this draft is going to be who get's who when the draft is over and the feeding frenzy starts for the undrafted players. Today was much ado about nothing.

jparmer
04-27-2012, 06:47 AM
I don't know if anybody else feels this way but, move the draft to Saturday and Sunday. Kick it off at 12:00 PM- 9:00PM and then Sun 11:00AM-until.

Today was not fun at all for me. I know the NFL is trying to string this out and it ain't working. I think the best part of this draft is going to be who get's who when the draft is over and the feeding frenzy starts for the undrafted players. Today was much ado about nothing.

I don't like it either. I'm going to work on little sleep, the excitement of watching the draft alllllllll day Saturday while hanging out with friends was awesome.

But just because it isn't working for u and me doesn't mean it's working for the nfl. I'm sure they are raking in more dough than they ever imagined the draft could. Unfortunately its gonna be this way.

Rat_bastich
04-27-2012, 06:53 AM
I definitely liked the way it used to be done on the weekends. As a draft nerd I had my draft guides out, had some food and had plans to plant my tail in front of the tv all day.

Last night, being on third shift I had to keep checking draft trackers on the computer that were slow.

tonyt830
04-27-2012, 07:05 AM
Its all about ratings and making it a bigger spectacle for the fans.

Now I would not be against a Friday through Sunday draft or just Saturday and Sunday. The way it is now, it sucks for the people that have to go to work on Friday mornings or for those 2nd shift people that miss the 1st 2 days.

Diamondring
04-27-2012, 07:32 AM

I don't like it either. I'm going to work on little sleep, the excitement of watching the draft alllllllll day Saturday while hanging out with friends was awesome.

But just because it isn't working for u and me doesn't mean it's working for the nfl. I'm sure they are raking in more dough than they ever imagined the draft could. Unfortunately its gonna be this way.Well add me to the list. I like Saturday and Sunday the way it suppose to be. Yesterday was boring.

saltire
04-27-2012, 08:22 AM
I got to bed at 5.15 here in Scotland. I was up again at 7.40. I'll do it all again tonight and tomorrow but I'd prefer if they had it weekends, even a Friday-Sunday would be better.

krygny
04-27-2012, 08:27 AM
I used to hope that it would rain all weekend (this time of year, it often does) so I could sit in front of the TV watching the draft without making excuses or feeling guilty about not doing anything on the weekend, ... especially yard work.

Goodell opens the draft by saying "Welcome to Prime Time". That's what it's all about. That was all I needed to hear before I switched back to the Rangers game. I won't be watching drafts anymore.

ibbill
04-27-2012, 08:28 AM
NFL likes to turn everything into a soap opera.

I found it boring also. Muted the tv and watched the NYRangers game and then the Mentalist on the other TV.

burier
04-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Real talk:

Alot of white people don't like the draft because there's a bunch of poor black kids turning into millionaires and it unfolds right infront of their eyes and on some level they find that annoying.

I think Goodell has done very little to improve the game that I fell in love with some 20 years ago but one thing he did do was improve the draft.

The saturday draft was completely boring. Every team would use the major majority of the clock for their pick even when their pick was obvious.

Now the draft moves a break neck speeds which adds a really cool frenetic quality to the proceedings. (And as mentioned by many the rookie cap has made moving up in the draft a more viable option which is exciting for fans.)

Also having it in the evening allows us fans to turn it into a social event. The last three drafts I've hosted a "draft party". Its a way to celebrate the draft and thirsty thursday at the same time.

hungrrrry
04-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Actually it doesn't bother me...I am amped-up for the 1st round...I calm down after that...besides, it gives me some time to absorb the pick in the 1st and look at where we could go afterwards with some sense of reality....which is where I like to be!

CDN_G-FAN
04-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Can we start off this convo by acknowledging as relatively hard core football fans, there's really no way to make a televised draft truly exciting.</P>

I mean, please !!!! We're watching a frackin' DRAFT.</P>

I love politics, and i assume 90% of hardcore football fans hate politics.</P>

This is as exciting as watching a political convention.</P>

The replayed Goodell's funky Ingram handshake i think 10 times. That was the highlight of the night.</P>

it is what it is, and there's no way to make it truly exciting.</P>

Morehead State
04-27-2012, 10:13 AM
I love the primetime thing. I'd like to see them start a bit earlier and get rounds 1 and 2 in on the first day.

jparmer
04-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Another thing I hate that they are doing now. There is a tracker that posts the pick before it's even announced by Goodell. Way to take all the suspense away.

As for Thursday being a better day than Saturday to host a draft party? We've had draft parties for the past 10yrs. Last night it was a 4hr party considering everyone had to get up for work today. Saturdays it was an all day party and everyone could sleep in the next day. I'd take the Saturday option hands down

ibbill
04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
I love the primetime thing.* I'd like to see them start a bit earlier and get rounds 1 and 2 in on the first day.

Perfect problem solved

thomsoad
04-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Im 50/50 on it.

I agree make it a weekend thing...but I love the pace now. Before then it was just brutal. I remember me and a few buddies were at the bar for 5 hours totally hammered and the first round STILL wasnt done.

The old timeframe was ridiculously long.