PDA

View Full Version : David Wilson's character? Deeply religious & helped katrina victims.

bflo23
04-27-2012, 01:11 AM
"Deeply religious, he reportedly has Tebow-like character, as part of a
Fellowship of Christian Athletes mission trip, he traveled to
Mississippi with some of his high school teammates during his spring
break in 2008 to help rebuild homes destroyed by Katrina. They helped
rebuild roofs, painted decks and installed dry wall and cabinets.</p>

For years (both in high school, and at Va Tech) he wears a shirt and tie to class every day."</p>

Like his on the field passion, his tremendous talent and it is good to hear about a player like this.... rather than hear about arrests or drug possessions. Seems to be very professional.... even wore shirt and tie to class every day.
</p>

Pakman
04-27-2012, 01:21 AM
I was just talking about this. Giants draft good players in the first round.

I mean look at Kiwi, Ross, Phillips, Nicks, JPP, Prince and now Wilson.

I don't know Wilson yet but based off what I just read, Reese drafts players who are team first...in the first round.

BlueSanta
04-27-2012, 01:31 AM
He was also reportedly the only player to wear a coat and tie to every interview at the combine.

JMFP2
04-27-2012, 01:35 AM
"Deeply religious, he reportedly has Tebow-like character, as part of a Fellowship of Christian Athletes mission trip, he traveled to Mississippi with some of his high school teammates during his spring break in 2008 to help rebuild homes destroyed by Katrina. They helped rebuild roofs, painted decks and installed dry wall and cabinets.</P>

For years (both in high school, and at Va Tech) he wears a shirt and tie to class every day."</P>

Like his on the field passion, his tremendous talent and it is good to hear about a player like this.... rather than hear about arrests or drug possessions. Seems to be very professional.... even wore shirt and tie to class every day.
</P>

</P>

TC is going to love this kid.</P>

Toadofsteel
04-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Of course there isn't going to be the Tebow media circus around this guy...

And that's a good thing!

VBGiantsFan
04-27-2012, 01:45 AM

For years (both in high school, and at Va Tech) he wears a shirt and tie to class every day."</p>

</p>

I hope his "Tebow like character" ends at leadership and running ability, and he doesn't wear his religion on his sleeve.

Eli TO Shockey
04-27-2012, 02:14 AM
When i think Dwil...I think SOLID! exactly what u want from your 1st rd pick. Well done JR!!

PIERCEnumber58rules
04-27-2012, 02:18 AM

</p>

I hope his "Tebow like character" ends at leadership and running ability, and he doesn't wear his religion on his sleeve.

Because all religious people should be muzzled?

CactusJack
04-27-2012, 10:41 AM

Biiiiig difference between "muzzling" someone for their religious beliefs and just hoping someone isn't constantly talking about it at every moment.

VBGiantsFan
04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Athletics should not be used as a forum to spread religious beliefs. It is a polarizing subject and has no business being part of any team with diverse fans who come together purely to enjoy watching a sport.

thomsoad

I don't know Wilson yet but based off what I just read, Reese drafts players who are team first...in the first round.

I dont know this kid but he has argued with his coaches several times at VT about lack of carries and has had no qualms about going to the press with his gripes. Not bashing him...its just a fact thats easy to look up.

thomsoad

I dont know this kid but he has argued with his coaches several times at VT about lack of carries and has had no qualms about going to the press with his gripes. Not bashing him...its just a fact thats easy to look up.

GeoGoGo
04-27-2012, 11:03 AM

</p>

For the most part, yes. I don't want to see this guy 'Wilsoning' left and right..

egyptian420
04-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Nice, love this.

PIERCEnumber58rules
04-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Athletics should not be used as a forum to spread religious beliefs. It is a polarizing subject and has no business being part of any team with diverse fans who come together purely to enjoy watching a sport.

Okay. So what's acceptable? Can he take a knee and pray? Or will that offend you too much? Deal with it and try to be more tolerant of people who don't share your belief system. People are allowed to express themselves religiously in this country.

Shockeystays08
04-27-2012, 11:29 AM

For years (both in high school, and at Va Tech) he wears a
shirt and tie to class every day."</p>

Like his on the field
passion, his tremendous talent and it is good to hear about a
player like this.... rather than hear about arrests or drug
possessions. Seems to be very professional.... even wore shirt
and tie to class every day.
</p>

What's your problem with that?

Shockeystays08
04-27-2012, 11:31 AM

That's an ignorant statement!

thomsoad
04-27-2012, 11:34 AM

I dont find anything ignorant about that statement. People who are religious like it... people who arent religious dont. Its as simple as that.

Tebow has the right to pray 10,000+ during the game and VB has the right to call it annoying.

B&RWarrior
04-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Athletics should not be used as a forum to spread religious beliefs. It is a polarizing subject and has no business being part of any team with diverse fans who come together purely to enjoy watching a sport. Okay. So what's acceptable? Can he take a knee and pray? Or will that offend you too much? Deal with it and try to be more tolerant of people who don't share your belief system. People are allowed to express themselves religiously in this country.</P>

If this kid can play he can pray 5 times a day, in 3 times after every score. He can profess his love for trannys while sportng his Rush Limbaugh for president tee shirt.He candate all white women and talk about how he likes them better than any other race. He can tell the press he reallywishes dog fighting were legal b/c he doesn'tlike dogs.</P>

We pay to watch a sporting event, nothing more We don't pay to control these players lives and beliefs. They are free to be who they are as long as it doesn't violate common moral standards, laws, and team rules. I want my Giants to win and if you can help them do that and not violate anybody else you can do ANYTHING you want. </P>

</P>

since55
04-27-2012, 11:38 AM

</p>

YES.

Shockeystays08
04-27-2012, 11:46 AM

I dont find anything ignorant about that statement. People who
are religious like it... people who arent religious dont. Its as
simple as that.

Tebow has the right to pray 10,000+ during the game and VB has the right to call it annoying.

Heck I find it a little overkill myself . But to say it has no business being a part of a team is well...........ignorant. Does VD want to
abolish on field prayer circles that numerous players take part in.
Athletes In Action?

thomsoad
04-27-2012, 11:51 AM

I dont find anything ignorant about that statement. People who
are religious like it... people who arent religious dont. Its as
simple as that.

Heck I find it a little overkill myself . But to say it has no business being a part of a team is well...........ignorant. Does VD want to
abolish on field prayer circles that numerous players take part in.
Athletes In Action?

Personally i dont really care if VD wants it abolished or not. Just dont find it worth debating about.

PIERCEnumber58rules
04-27-2012, 11:51 AM

</p>

YES.

Okay then. Let the record show "Since55" believes 92% of America should be muzzled! LOL

rebelfan1966
04-27-2012, 11:52 AM

</p>

Did not know this.... but I'm liking the kid more and more.... thanks for sharing.

IamGiantsfan
04-27-2012, 11:54 AM

</p>

YES.

Okay then. Let the record show "Since55" believes 92% of America should be muzzled! LOL
actually it's more like 80%

buddy33
04-27-2012, 11:54 AM
What is wrong with Tebow? So he bows and prays. He thanks God. What is he doing wrong? Some will say he has the right to do it but them they bash him for it.

PIERCEnumber58rules
04-27-2012, 11:58 AM

</p>

YES.

actually it's more like 80%

A May 2011 Gallup poll reports 92%, but whatever.

rebelfan1966
04-27-2012, 12:01 PM

How can I say this..... If you are a Christian, it is your mission in life to express your faith. Does not matter where you are, if you truely love God, and are truely concerned about the souls of your fellow man, then you can't simply put God on a shelf and take him back down again when it is convienient. Asking a true Christian to "switch off their public display of faith" would be akin to asking a Giants fan to cheer for the Boys.... probably not going to happen.

lnp12
04-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Athletics should not be used as a forum to spread religious beliefs. It is a polarizing subject and has no business being part of any team with diverse fans who come together purely to enjoy watching a sport. Okay. So what's acceptable? Can he take a knee and pray? Or will that offend you too much? Deal with it and try to be more tolerant of people who don't share your belief system. People are allowed to express themselves religiously in this country.</p>

If this kid can play he can pray 5 times a day, in 3 times after every score. He can profess his love for trannys while sportng his Rush Limbaugh for president tee shirt.He candate all white women and talk about how he likes them better than any other race. He can tell the press he reallywishes dog fighting were legal b/c he doesn'tlike dogs.</p>

We pay to watch a sporting event, nothing more We don't pay to control these players lives and beliefs. They are free to be who they are as long as it doesn't violate common moral standards, laws, and team rules. I want my Giants to win and if you can help them do that and not violate anybody else you can do ANYTHING you want. </p>

</p>

+1
Look, if the kid is religious no one should really be complaining because it could be a lot worse...would you rather have some kid who got arrested 3 times in college and barely had the GPA to play? no, i didn't think so. if your biggest worry as a coach is if your player is gonna be praying on the field, i think you're okay.

Smurf
04-27-2012, 12:36 PM

How can I say this..... If you are a Christian, it is your mission in life to express your faith. Does not matter where you are, if you truely love God, and are truely concerned about the souls of your fellow man, then you can't simply put God on a shelf and take him back down again when it is convienient. Asking a true Christian to "switch off their public display of faith" would be akin to asking a Giants fan to cheer for the Boys.... probably not going to happen.

Well Said.

GreenZone
04-27-2012, 12:58 PM
I think this is a healthy discussion. To really look at the Giant organization is to understand the religious undertone everywhere. And that has a lot to do with the legacy of the Duke.

The team kneeled down after each game last year and prayed the Lord's Prayer. Jerry Reese, Tom Coughlin are deeply religious. It was estimated that last year's team was the most religious in team history, with about a third of all players/coaches attending bible study from time to time.

I believe that Eli Manning is also a Christian.

Having said all that, you don't hear all of them constantly talking about their religious beliefs. And even Tim Tebow stated how bizarre it was that "Tebowing" became a mainstream nickname, when he'd been doing the same for the previous 8 years.

For those that just want to separate football from everything else in life, but love the Giants, you might simply want to take a look at this team factor with regard to the potentially healthy environment that it creates for a successful team unity. That is particularly true when the team had every reason to give up when the season appeared to so many here and everywhere else to be lost late last year.

You might also read more about David Tyree's story and the circumstances surrounding the catch (his book).

So, please don't pidgeon-hole a player you don't even know much about yet with his beliefs as being some media created cliché, rather than an individual to be looked at via his own character. And don't expect that because of what he professes to belief that he is supposed to be the perfect example of it, otherwise be deserving of your condemnation.

RedskinHater
04-27-2012, 01:04 PM

Okay. So what's acceptable? Can he take a knee and pray? Or will that offend you too much? Deal with it and try to be more tolerant of people who don't share your belief system. People are allowed to express themselves religiously in this country.
Of course we ALL are allowed to express our beliefs. The thing with FUNDAMENTALISTS is they think THEIRS is the ONLY belief. You can not discuss their beliefs in a rational manner since fundamentalism precludes any rationality. This world view automatically stops rational thought and seeing others' views as having meaning. Hence, all others are going to Hell .

GreenZone
04-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Of course we ALL are allowed to express our beliefs. The thing with FUNDAMENTALISTS is...

There has been no evidence of your "FUNDAMENTALISTS" forcing views on you or telling you you're going to hell from Tim Tebow to any Giants or any other NFL player I've ever heard speak on their faith.

Because you may have heard that from or about some religious believer of something somewhere from someone, it does not bear any relevance on attaching a religious profile (bigotry) onto any individual player, including the newcomer.

Bringing all this baggage into the conversation here is irrelevant, off topic, and not even allowed per the rules here. The facts about these players, who they are and what they may believe may not be in accord with what you believe. But this is discussing who this draft choice is, not going to hell.

jomo
04-27-2012, 02:49 PM

</p>

Did not know this.... but I'm liking the kid more and more.... thanks for sharing.Like I've said a few times, he sounds like our type of player. Welcome David and good luck to you!