PDA

View Full Version : Why so much hate on Wilson?

True 2 Blue
04-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Look at our roster, we have so much damn talent

QB: Eli
HB: Bradshaw, Wilson, Scott
FB: Hynoski
TE: Bennett, Pascoe
WR: Nicks, Cruz
OL: Baas,Snee, Beatty, Boothe, Locklear, Diehl, Brewer, Petrus

DE: JPP, Tuck, Osi, Kiwi
DT: Canty, Joseph, Rogers, Austin
LB: Boley, Rivers, Williams, Blackburn, Herzlich, Jones
CB: Webster, T2, Prince, Molden, Tryon, Coe/Johnson
S: Phillips, Rolle, Jones, Sash, Horton
K: Tynes
P: Weatherford

If we were to draft needs rest of the draft, 3rd string WR, backup TE, LB and maybe an OL are only positions that need any real depth, probably in that order. We can get Sanu in the 2nd easily or Dwayne Allen who Giants are high on both. We can maybe have Kendricks fall to us, OL are still available could fall back to 63 not many got drafted first round as expected so there will be some falls. We have 6 picks left just give them a damn chance, he was one of best ncaa backs, #1 after contact, he is gonna be a STUD

FBomb
04-27-2012, 12:32 PM
'Why"?.........because no matter WHAT the lesson was, idiots never learn.</P>

CDN_G-FAN
04-27-2012, 12:41 PM

</P>

VERY well worded.</P>

+1</P>

sharick88
04-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Simple. People around here hate on every pick we do. I remember the Chicken Littles came out and had the audacity to rip Reese for drafting Jason Pierre Paul from South Florida University. LOL. Personally, I am cool with it. Bradshaw missed time last year, continues to play through injuries, and the rest of these guys we have are totally unproven. When will these guys ever learn that Reese takes care of business?

sharick88
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Exactly!!

NYSPORTS
04-27-2012, 12:57 PM
for the same reason there is so much love for Flenner and so much love for Spiller years ago. The fans follow magazines and think they're scouts.

mikeq672
04-27-2012, 01:31 PM
The shot of the Giants fans the NFL network showed while announcing the pick summed it up for me. The two giants fan looking at each other and neither having a clue who Wilson was until they said running back and then just kind of nodded. Most of the people complaining admit to have never even seen him play or heard of him before last night.

jparmer
04-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Because everyone that's ever touched a football thinks they know more than professional scouts and nfl gm's. If the guy they liked didn't get picked their feelings get hurt. U never see anyone coming back here saying they were completely wrong about JPP or anyone else they didn't like that ends up succeeding.

jdl
04-27-2012, 01:48 PM
i dont dislike the pick, but i dont love it.</P>

dont love it because of recent history:</P>

2000 Ron Dayne - bust</P>

1995 Tyrone Wheatley - bust</P>

have to go all the way back to 1990 for a good 1st pick at #1 rb</P>

1990 Rodney Hampton</P>

FBomb
04-27-2012, 01:54 PM

1990 Rodney Hampton</P>

</P>

[:|] 12 years, 17 years and 22 years qualify as "recent"?</P>

Different GM and HC.....how about comparing JR's recent 1st round picks? Would that not make more sense?</P>

jdl
04-27-2012, 02:01 PM
i knew someone was going to use the word 'recent' and just focus on that.</P>

first round RB picks by the giants. is that better? It doesnt matter that other first rounders were great picks, i am questioning RB's for the giants. The most 'recent' ones (i used recent again) have been horrible.</P>

ru_gmen55
04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Seems kind of silly to doubt Jerry Reese at this point...we should at least let ths play out a bit before getting pissed or worried...

GameTime
04-27-2012, 02:05 PM

If we were to draft needs rest of the draft, 3rd string WR, backup TE, LB and maybe an OL are only positions that need any real depth, probably in that order. We can get Sanu in the 2nd easily or Dwayne Allen who Giants are high on both. We can maybe have Kendricks fall to us, OL are still available could fall back to 63 not many got drafted first round as expected so there will be some falls. We have 6 picks left just give them a damn chance, he was one of best ncaa backs, #1 after contact, he is gonna be a STUD
</P>

I like the pick but to some of the guys you mentioned as "talent" havent really shown much at all. A few havent shown anything yet as Giants. Wilson for one...Scott, Petrus, Brewer, Locklear are still guesses. Bennet and Pascoe cold be very mediocre. Rogers and Austin? Molden, Prince, Coe..?</P>

Johnson may not even play in the NFL. Horton? </P>

Lots of what ifs.....</P>

</P>

FBomb
04-27-2012, 02:05 PM
i knew someone was going to use the word 'recent' and just focus on that.</P>

first round RB picks by the giants. is that better? It doesnt matter that other first rounders were great picks, i am questioning RB's for the giants. The most 'recent' ones (i used recent again) have been horrible.</P>

</P>

Again....totally different GM and HC. That statement alone says I didn't "just focus on that". A more accurate measuement would be what JR has done in the 1st round.</P>

NYG55nwo
04-27-2012, 02:12 PM
The reason why i dont like this pick is because i dont like VA tech running backs. Name one that hastransitioned into the NFL and had a great career.

sharick88
04-27-2012, 02:28 PM
The reason why i dont like this pick is because i dont like VA tech running backs.* Name one that has*transitioned into the NFL and had a great career.*
No disrespect, but that is a poor reason to dislike the pick.

RoanokeFan
04-27-2012, 02:28 PM
'Why"?.........because no matter WHAT the lesson was, idiots never learn.</p>

Insightful, brilliant, well said, AND short.

sharick88
04-27-2012, 03:30 PM
People also forget that we did have the 32nd ranked rush offense in the NFL as well. No beef with us drafting a rb first round at #32 at all

giantsfan420
04-27-2012, 03:36 PM
The reason why i dont like this pick is because i dont like VA tech running backs.* Name one that has*transitioned into the NFL and had a great career.*
No disrespect, but that is a poor reason to dislike the pick.

SMH, u do realize NYG55 that tiki barber came from that school right?

buddy33
04-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Tiki went to Virginia. Whatever, it's still not a good reason not to like a guy.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
04-27-2012, 03:45 PM
We lost Jacobs, we needed a RB who can punish defenders. While Bradshaw can lower his head and deliver a blow, he also is injury prone and not only that, the other RB we have, only took 10+ carries in the pre-season.

At first I was meh on the pick because I wanted a TE but I like this pick. I'm not excited about the pick, but it's not a bad pick.

And just because we had two first round RB who were drafted that turned out to be garbage, doesn't mean this one will be. With that logic, Eli should have been a bust.

buddy33
04-27-2012, 03:47 PM

1990 Rodney Hampton</P>

So they are doomed? Why don't we look at the 1st round picks Reese has made. What about Ross, KP, Nicks, JPP, and Prince?

dave56dj
04-27-2012, 03:50 PM
You don't like the pick b/c the giants have failed to pick talented first round rb's about 4 times under different regimes? You do realize how silly that is right? Not doing a fairly easy task b/c others have failed at it in a small pctg is about the silliest thing one can do. It's not the easiest thing to draft a back in the first round but it's actually a lot easier then your making it sound simply b/c the giants have messed it up many years ago. The logic is backwards. I mean why draft a DE after drafting Cedric Jones top ten? Or why draft a TE after drafting derek brown or why draft a DT after Joseph.

The point is Wilson can flat out play - Check out Mayocks analysis or try this

Overall Impressions of Wilson: Wilsonís great acceleration and
willingness to bang into players without a lot of patience is
reminiscent of Darren McFadden (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34385/darren-mcfadden) during the Raiders (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/oakland-raiders) RBís college career. Wilson has better cutting ability than McFadden, but like McFadden, CJ Spiller, LeSean McCoy (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71549/lesean-mccoy), and Jamaal Charles (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34464/jamaal-charles),
Wilson needs to learn to become a better decision maker at the line of
scrimmage. He tries to bounce runs to the corner too often and heíll
even attempt to reverse his field once his initial bounce doesnít work.

Accepting a short gain rather than a big loss is something Wilson
has a hard time doing at this stage of his career. Based on the recent
success of the players listed above, Wilson has the same kind, if not
specific style, of athleticism to develop into a star at the position.
His RSP score is lower than it could potentially be due to the 14 points
of vision fundamentals he has yet to master.</p>

Heís also not consistent with using his left arm when he carries
the football to the left side of the field but he did it enough times
that Iím giving him credit (all but once in this game). His
footwork-punch coordination needs to be refined. He often delivers a
punch when his feet arenít in good position against the defender heís
tring to block and this can get him into trouble with better edge
rushers. However, the potential to develop into a good pass protector is
there.</p>

Wilsonís quickness, speed, balance, and stop-start
agility is among the best in the country and it makes him a special
athlete/runner in the open field. Get him in space and heís a nightmare
to bring down. When heís disciplined about what heís doing
conceptually, he has the pad level, acceleration, and technique to be
productive as a between the tackles, chain-moving runner. Physically he
might have as much upside as any back in this draft and heís the best
back to come out of Va. Tech from this perspective since Kevin Jones. He
catches the ball well with his hands and he has potential to develop
into a good pass protector because he generally diagnoses the blitzes
that he Va Tech faces and his initial footwork before contact is good.</p>
Wilson is a "strong," 205 pounds and I think he can probably add
another 10 pounds to his frame as he matures. Talent-wise I donít know
if thereís a better runner in this draft other than Trent Richardson and
Wilson probably has better speed and lateral agility. What he has to
learn makes him more of a boom-bust pick, but I believe based on past
history of backs like the ones I mention with my criticism of his game
that Wilson will make the transition to a smarter runner that the NFL
requires

buddy33
04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
He is also only 20 years old. He could easily put on 10 pounds if he needed to but what I saw on tape is a tough runner at 205.

repeatchamps
04-27-2012, 03:54 PM

</P>

You left out Ware from the running back list and Ugoh as well as both Shawn and Stacy Andrews for the O-line depth. Paysinger and Tracyare also other LB'ers in the mix.</P>

Die-Hard
04-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Fleener was the one most of them wanted. Made little to no sense to take him because our offense is not at all focused on TE's, but since he wasn't the pick, anyone else taken is a bad pick, and Reese is a moron.

In a nutshell...[;)]

04-27-2012, 04:03 PM
I think the way the draft unfolded, the talking heads on ESPN were so excited by Doug Martin ( RB Boise ST) it felt like we kind of got our pocket picked by Tampa Bay.... You would have thought the bucs got Walter Payton...they were going on and on extolling Martin's virtues (he does seem like a very solid football player)... </P>

At first it looked like we got the leftover guy and that sure was deflating.... BUT this could very well be Tiki redux!!!!</P>

If he can learn who to block on blitzes he will be on the field right away for us</P>

NYG55nwo
04-27-2012, 04:23 PM
The reason why i dont like this pick is because i dont like VA tech running backs. Name one that hastransitioned into the NFL and had a great career. No disrespect, but that is a poor reason to dislike the pick. SMH, u do realize NYG55 that tiki barber came from that school right?</P>

no he didnt, what are you talkin bout?</P>

NYG55nwo
04-27-2012, 04:24 PM
The reason why i dont like this pick is because i dont like VA tech running backs. Name one that hastransitioned into the NFL and had a great career. No disrespect, but that is a poor reason to dislike the pick.</P>

I understand where you are coming frombut its my logic... Every VA tech running back has sucked in the NFL. I hope he proves me wrong </P>

TheEnigma
04-27-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't hate him but I do feel people are ignoring his negatives and acting like he's a solid day 1 starter.

He's very impatient to wait for blockers and will try to make something him self. Instead of taking 2-3 yards, he will dance in the backfield for multiple seconds as the defense potentially takes him down for a huge TFL. Now he gets away with this in college due to his elite speed and agility but we all know that he will be hard pressed to do that as often in the NFL.

He's also very raw in pass protection and has a fumbling issue. The good news is that all of these things can be fixed. The bad news is that until he does, he serves us as a huge liability early in the season unless he can make good progress in training camp.

He has all the intangibles one covets in the RB position so it will come down to coaching and if this kid can shed his college running style out of his instincts.

giantsfan420
04-27-2012, 04:33 PM
The reason why i dont like this pick is because i dont like VA tech running backs.* Name one that has*transitioned into the NFL and had a great career.* No disrespect, but that is a poor reason to dislike the pick.</P>

I understand where you are coming from*but its my logic... Every VA tech running back has sucked in the NFL.* I hope he proves me wrong </P>

my bad i always confuse VA tech with VA, i dont know about "no VA Tech rb has not sucked in the NFL"

repeatchamps
04-27-2012, 04:36 PM

</P>

You left out Ware from the running back list and Ugoh as well as both Shawn and Stacy Andrews for the O-line depth. Paysinger and Tracyare also other LB'ers in the mix.</P>

</P>

Per slipknottin, Shawn retired, Stacy is not under contract and Ugoh is also not under contract. My bad.</P>

Breezely
04-27-2012, 04:49 PM
This guy is for real!!!!! Just like they said, he will put on some more pounds. Just imagine a running back that runs the rock like this dude, with 15 more pounds. . . . . sick!!!!!!

NYG55nwo
04-30-2012, 10:24 AM
The reason why i dont like this pick is because i dont like VA tech running backs. Name one that hastransitioned into the NFL and had a great career. No disrespect, but that is a poor reason to dislike the pick.</P>

I understand where you are coming frombut its my logic... Every VA tech running back has sucked in the NFL. I hope he proves me wrong </P>

my bad i always confuse VA tech with VA, i dont know about "no VA Tech rb has not sucked in the NFL"</P>

Exactly my point. I dont even have to look it up because every top VA tech running back has faltered under the NFL pressure. Try to find just one</P>

nevada11
04-30-2012, 10:32 AM
dumb thread, never saw any hate on wilson?

nycsportzfan is the only guy who dislikes wilson

giantsforce
04-30-2012, 11:50 AM
i dont dislike the pick, but i dont love it.</p>

dont love it because of recent history:</p>

2000 Ron Dayne - bust</p>

1995 Tyrone Wheatley - bust</p>

have to go all the way back to 1990 for a good 1st pick at #1 rb</p>

1990 Rodney Hampton</p>Now that you mentioned Ron Dayne, this is what you get when you go for the big name on the board players. Heisman trophy winner, set the college record for rushing, A+ draft choice,right? Result? BUST! As far as Tyrone Wheatley goes, I think it was more coaching that anything else because after he left Dan Reeves he went to Oakland where Gruden got the best out of him. So I would not classify him as a bust. Do not forget that he also led the Giants in all purpose yards. We have many examples of what the experts consider elite players at the draft going big time bust. So before you say past history repeats itself, let's wait and see how it will play out.

gumby742
04-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Who's hating? we're fans. We have opinions. No one is saying they know more then JR. It's a discussion. If we're just going to trust the Giants front office all the time and be happy with it, then this message board won't exist. Because after all, the Giants will ALWAYS know more then we will. </P>

I'm not crazy about the pick. I wasn't crazy about the JPP pick. I would have been happier with an Olineman. Yeah, the word happy. That's purely opinion and it's what makes the message board go around.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
04-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Simple. People around here hate on every pick we do. I remember the Chicken Littles came out and had the audacity to rip Reese for drafting Jason Pierre Paul from South Florida University. LOL. Personally, I am cool with it. Bradshaw missed time last year, continues to play through injuries, and the rest of these guys we have are totally unproven. When will these guys ever learn that Reese takes care of business?

Yeah dude, this organization sucks. Who cares if we won 2 super bowls in a short time span. They are just so horrible at evaluating talent.

yurr right

BeatYale
04-30-2012, 03:10 PM

What? Are the RB's from VT not football players?

Well there's game tapes, college production, the combine + pro day workouts, interviews and medical tests etc. for teams to decide on a players value. Whether the school has produced top NFL players at that position shouldn't even matter IMO.

TCU wasn't known for having anyone go on to be a successful pro running back. The Chargers still selected Ladanian Tomlinson though.

NYG55nwo
04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
The reason why i dont like this pick is because i dont like VA tech running backs. Name one that hastransitioned into the NFL and had a great career. What? Are the RB's from VT not football players? Well there's game tapes, college production, the combine + pro day workouts, interviews and medical tests etc. for teams to decide on a players value. Whether the school has produced top NFL players at that position shouldn't even matter IMO. TCU wasn't known for having anyone go on to be a successful pro running back. The Chargers still selected Ladanian Tomlinson though.</P>

My point is that every RB that comes from VA Tech doesnt transition well to the NFL... Is this not true? If so, please name one that has become great in the NFL. I am not saying that he is not a football player. He can have all the measurable attributes but i just dont like RBs from VA tech. Ihope he proves wrong but i will have to wait and see. <FONT face=Calibri><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"></SPAN><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"></SPAN></FONT><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></P>

</P>