PDA

View Full Version : Marc Ross on Reuben Randle: Shocking Comments?

Overdrive92
04-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Some comments by Marc Ross on Reuben Randle:

"He's an NFL ready wide receiver. He will be fine here because LSU had a terrible QB."

"He will be as good as Nicks and Cruz."

"We almost took him last night in Round 1. We're shocked we could get him an entire round later."

Yes, he said LSU's QB was bad. So they're confident Eli will make him better. And I agree.

And I sure hope he is right about him becoming the next Nicks or Cruz.

Overdrive92
04-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Marc Ross just added that the Giants CONSIDERED taking Randle with the 32nd pick in the 1st round last night. They were shocked they could still get him a whole round later!

giantsfan420
04-27-2012, 10:34 PM
i been saying for some time randle at 32 would be great, AT 61!!!!!!!! R U SERIOUS? THANK GOD TEAMS WERE DRAFTING 4th round talent in the 2nd!!!

he is NFL ready but needs to work with eli...HUGE addition!

I Bleed Blue 56
04-27-2012, 10:36 PM
This guy was invited to NY for a reason. I wanted Massie but I love this pick. We needed a big WR Reese good job.

myles2424
04-27-2012, 10:36 PM
i been saying for some time randle at 32 would be great, AT 61!!!!!!!! R U SERIOUS? THANK GOD TEAMS WERE DRAFTING 4th round talent in the 2nd!!!

he is NFL ready but needs to work with eli...HUGE addition!
Teams been making some shocking picks.....definitely helped us....
Now I want to see us get aggressive & trade up!
Bobby Massie would be great!!!

cornerback30
04-27-2012, 10:39 PM

"He's an NFL ready wide receiver. He will be fine here because LSU had a terrible QB."

Yes, he said LSU's QB was bad. So they're confident Eli will make him better. And I agree.QB was terrible at LSU

Drez
04-27-2012, 10:40 PM
i been saying for some time randle at 32 would be great, AT 61!!!!!!!! R U SERIOUS? THANK GOD TEAMS WERE DRAFTING 4th round talent in the 2nd!!! he is NFL ready but needs to work with eli...HUGE addition!</P>

See. I told you not to overreact. [;)]</P>

Actually, this definitely seems like a great value pick to me.</P>

GiantWarfare
04-27-2012, 10:42 PM

Yes, he said LSU's QB was bad. So they're confident Eli will make him better. And I agree.

Marc Ross is right....LSU had horrible QB play

NY4U2
04-27-2012, 10:43 PM

Yes, he said LSU's QB was bad. So they're confident Eli will make him better. And I agree.QB was terrible at LSU

Some dude named Jordan Jefferson (bad stats, bad mechanics, bad decision making etc..)

BrandonJacobs
04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm happy about the pick, very happy, but can someone explain what it is that makes him so special besides his size? His vertical jump is really bad.

I'm only asking because I don't watch college. I'm thrilled to have him based on projections. What exactly makes him a borderline first round talent?

Overdrive92
04-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Marc Ross just added that Randle will be as good as Nicks and Cruz.

WOW! That is bold, and I sure hope he's right!

TheEnigma
04-27-2012, 11:00 PM

WOW! That is bold, and I sure hope he's right!He must of walked on water at the team meeting or something LOL because that is a BOLD statement

GiantWarfare
04-27-2012, 11:01 PM

WOW! That is bold, and I sure hope he's right!

now that might be too bold...lol

giantsfan420
04-27-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm happy about the pick, very happy, but can someone explain what it is that makes him so special besides his size? His vertical jump is really bad.

I'm only asking because I don't watch college. I'm thrilled to have him based on projections. What exactly makes him a borderline first round talent?

he's like a clone of Nicks, put it that way. Great hands, can be explosive downfield, amazing body control, stems his routes, gets seperation...he literally has 1rst round talent...he's going to be AWESOME and on day 1 too

buddy33
04-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Well he was right about the QB play at LSU.

shocknaweny

"He will be as good as Nicks and Cruz."

"We almost took him last night in Round 1. We're shocked we could get him an entire round later."

And I sure hope he is right about him becoming the next Nicks or Cruz.

Wow ....great pick by Reese...

LT_was_good

he's a clone of Nicks, put it that way. Great hands, can be explosive downfield, amazing body control, stems his routes, gets seperation...he literally has 1rst round talent...he's going to be AWESOME and on day 1 too

I just made the same comparison in another thread. And as the 3rd or 4th option on a team with Nicks and Cruz? He'll be open aplenty.

BrandonJacobs
I guess vertical jumps don't matter when Eli is throwing perfect passes anyway.

I read he's a great run blocker too. That can be a huge asset.

Giants10Joe
04-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Our wide receiver set is going to be stacked. Nicks. Cruz. Randle. Plus I've heard good things about Jernigan.

giantsfan420
04-27-2012, 11:08 PM

he's a clone of Nicks, put it that way. Great hands, can be explosive downfield, amazing body control, stems his routes, gets seperation...he literally has 1rst round talent...he's going to be AWESOME and on day 1 too

I just made the same comparison in another thread.* And as the 3rd or 4th option on a team with Nicks and Cruz?* He'll be open aplenty.

yup. Kossell also said he is similar to Nicks.
I cannot tell u how stoked I am. Especially to hear Ross say they were gonna take him last night or were heavily thinking it...

i felt we needed to get a WR, took a ton of flak for it, and now am vindicated for it...

FREAKING LOVE THIS PICK! I been calling for him for a while now...

this draft is shaping up to be JR's finest...I have no idea why teams took 4th round talent WR in the 2nd...

he's prob the 3 or 4th best WR in this class, aint NO ONE gonna be able to defend Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Bennett, and Wilson out of the backfield with Eli throwing it...WE ARE STACKED. OFFENSE IS UNSTOPPABLE

myles2424
04-27-2012, 11:11 PM

Bad vertical? Well ELi just can't throw too many alley oops to him in pick up basketball games after practice....

Overdrive92
04-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Randle on coming to the Giants: "I'm just glad to be playing with a great QB in Eli Manning and to be mentored by great WR's like Cruz and Nicks."

nycsportzfan
04-27-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm happy about the pick, very happy, but can someone explain what it is that makes him so special besides his size? His vertical jump is really bad. I'm only asking because I don't watch college. I'm thrilled to have him based on projections. What exactly makes him a borderline first round talent? Bad vertical? Well ELi just can't throw too many alley oops to him in pick up basketball games after practice.... Eli loves throwing the ball high where only his WR can leap and get it...

Neverend
04-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Dont really see Nicks. I guess with the way they stride, their agility and move, but it ends there.

Nicks is more explosive off the ball. Randle is a long strider

Randle runs his routes very upright & rounds them off, sure he stems them well but Nicks is more of a guy who'll drop his weight and is much more sharper

Randle loves to adjust to the ball over his shoulder, Nicks is a guy who will box out a corner and high point the ball

Nicks has a burst to his game, off the line and out of his breaks. Randle is more of a quick guy

Both have good body control and can make contested catches, but Nicks has absolutely SUPERIOR range/radius going up for the ball (which is amazing considering he's like 6'1). Randle can make contested catches but not someone who's going to do it leaping very high in the air

I can keep going on, but this kid isnt Nicks

Randle moves and strides like Nicks, thats it. Nicks made a ton of his big plays in college by just being animal fighting for the ball, randle just runs at corners by freezing them with double moves. I think hes overrated and thats why he fell, not because teams were so dumb to pass on such an amazing player

nycsportzfan
04-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Are people really comparing this kid to hakeem nicks? Has anyone seen teh catches Hakeem Nicks made in college and pros? When has Randle made any, even 1 spectacular catch?

nycsportzfan
04-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Dont really see Nicks. I guess with the way they stride, their agility and move, but it ends there. Nicks is more explosive off the ball. Randle is a long strider Randle runs his routes very upright &amp; rounds them off, sure he stems them well but Nicks is more of a guy who'll drop his weight and is much more sharper Randle loves to adjust to the ball over his shoulder, Nicks is a guy who will box out a corner and high point the ball Nicks has a burst to his game, off the line and out of his breaks. Randle is more of a quick guy Both have good body control and can make contested catches, but Nicks has absolutely SUPERIOR range/radius going up for the ball (which is amazing considering he's like 6'1). Randle can make contested catches but not someone who's going to do it leaping very high in the air I can keep going on, but this kid isnt Nicks Randle moves and strides like Nicks, thats it. Nicks made a ton of his big plays in college by just being animal fighting for the ball, randle just runs at corners by freezing them with double moves. I think hes overrated and thats why he fell, not because teams were so dumb to pass on such an amazing player I see more Brandon lafell then i do Hakeem nicks...

nycsportzfan
04-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Man, the cowboys killed it again with Tyrone Crawford.. Take him off my big board...

CGYgiant
04-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Are people really comparing this kid to hakeem nicks? Has anyone seen teh catches Hakeem Nicks made in college and pros? When has Randle made any, even 1 spectacular catch?

Marc Ross did? why should we take your word over his?

You wanted Sanu over Randle?

Britt over Nicks,

You really are a new york sports fan haha. Your opinions are biased for Rutgers players...

Neverend
04-27-2012, 11:28 PM
* Are people really comparing this kid to hakeem nicks? Has anyone seen teh catches Hakeem Nicks made in college and pros?* When has Randle made any, even 1 spectacular catch?

Britt over Nicks,

You really are a new york sports fan haha. Your opinions are biased for Rutgers players...

I think he was comparing him to nicks in terms of how they play better on the field not in workouts

put the highlights of nicks coming out of college. You saw an animal that simply just dominated corners playing the ball in the air

Randle... freezes corners on double moves.. then runs by them. How dyanmic...

I don't see how that translates into the NFL at all. He'll be a good receiver but I don't see much big play potential with him

giantsfan420
04-27-2012, 11:29 PM
* Are people really comparing this kid to hakeem nicks? Has anyone seen teh catches Hakeem Nicks made in college and pros?* When has Randle made any, even 1 spectacular catch?

Britt over Nicks,

I think he was comparing him to nicks in terms of how they play better on the field not in workouts

put the highlights of nicks coming out of college. You saw an animal that simply just dominated corners playing the ball in the air

Randle... freezes corners on double moves.. then runs by them. How dyanmic...

I don't see how that translates into the NFL at all. He'll be a good receiver but I don't see much big play potential with him

cool. good for u. the guys doing the actual drafting said he's as good as nicks AND cruz...

and is freezing corners and running by them a bad thing to u? it IS dynamic. dunno if u were being condescending it comes off that way.

Ross made the comments, u should let him know he's wrong

Neverend
04-27-2012, 11:43 PM
and is freezing corners and running by them a bad thing to u? it IS dynamic.

Would have to disagree.

For example look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s0A9GOjKKC0#!

He builds speed as he goes down the field, and froze the corner with a shoulder fake. Looks like a great play but is he going to see that bad technique on sundays?

While its flashy in college, I dont think hes gonna have as much success with that in the nfl. I think the big plays guys like kendall wright or alshon jeffery is more translatable.

Dont get me wrong, the kid has impressive savvy to his game. But I think theres a reason why he fell. A guy who gets the most out of his athletic ability and wins on his routes with deceptive speed + savvy/deception.. Not with elite, dynamic qualities like justin blackmon or michael floyd

giantsfan420
04-27-2012, 11:45 PM

Would have to disagree.

He builds speed as he goes down the field, and froze the corner with a shoulder fake. Looks like a great play but is he going to see that bad technique on sundays?

While its flashy in college, I dont think hes gonna have as much success with that in the nfl. I think the big plays guys like kendall wright or alshon jeffery is more translatable.

Dont get me wrong, the kid has impressive savvy to his game. But I think theres a reason why he fell. A guy who gets the most out of his athletic ability and wins on his routes with deceptive speed + savvy/deception.. Not with elite, dynamic qualities like justin blackmon or michael floyd

guess someone forgot to tell randle that freezing the db and burning them is a bad thing. SMH. sometimes i just dont get people...

"how dynamic (sarcastic) he just burnt the corner. Now that isnt elite. He should have let the db stick with him."

ARE U SERIOUS?

Cosell and Ross say ur dead wrong, and thats more than good enough for me

giantsfan420
04-27-2012, 11:47 PM
neverend, thats like saying u want ur DL to have short arms...oh wait...nevermind

Neverend
04-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Well im glad thats good enough for you.

I want to see guys make big plays by running by cornerse with a second gear, or showcasing the ability to make highly contested catches with corners draped over them. I like that TD against oregon randle made but i want to see more of that, and he doesnt have the greatest range in the air

Thats just my preference. If making most of your big plays through savvy and deception is good enough to convince you he's going to be doing the same on the outside in the nfl fine.. thats good enough for you. dont see why you took the time to tell me im wrong if you're not even really interested in my opinion anyway

giantsfan420
04-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Well im glad thats good enough for you.

I want to see guys make big plays by running by cornerse with a second gear, or showcasing the ability to make highly contested catches with corners draped over them. I like that TD against oregon randle made but i want to see more of that, and he doesnt have the greatest range in the air

Thats just my preference. If making most of your big plays through savvy and deception is good enough to convince you he's going to be doing the same on the outside in the nfl fine.. thats good enough for you. dont see why you took the time to tell me im wrong if you're not even really interested in my opinion anyway

i wouldnt be interested except ur telling people we're wrong with the nicks comparison. Cosell and Ross say your wrong. Simple as that.
And i have never heard "freezing a db and running by him (vs SEC teams top corners) for a td" is a bad thing...

cool. we got ur opinion. my opinion is he is very similar to Nicks, not as polished, but similar in terms of body control, steming routes, getting seperation, being an elite deep threat and can go over the middle.

no offense intended

G-FanFromDurham
04-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Randle's video highlights do not show any spectacular catches that I have seen. Maybe I don't have all his film. He does look solid and even good.He probably is more ready to contribute next yr. than a lot of other receivers in the draft which impressed the Giants. He also played against some tough players and teams etc..

giantsfan420
04-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Randle's video highlights do not show any spectacular catches that I have seen. Maybe I don't have all his film. He does look solid and even good.He probably is more ready to contribute next yr. than a lot of other receivers in the draft which impressed the Giants. He also played against some tough players and teams etc..

remember, he had some pretty terrible qb play at LSU...Eli will make this kid look like an all pro...defenses are gonna go crazy trying to figure which wr to single up on

Neverend
04-28-2012, 12:11 AM
[And i have never heard "freezing a db and running by him (vs SEC teams top corners) for a td" is a bad thing...

It seems like when we argue with eachother, you have a bad tendency to read what you want to read

I never said it was a "bad" thing, I just don't see him having much success at it in the nfl like he did in college. Veteran corners are going to have better technique not to freeze on all those head/shoulder fakes and double moves

But ofc u read this as "he beat a CB. its a bad thing". No wonder so many have issues trying to argue with you

NYG4lifeNYK
04-28-2012, 12:13 AM
So you seem to think you can scout better than Jerry Reese Neverend?

lol....

giantsfan420
04-28-2012, 12:13 AM
[And i have never heard "freezing a db and running by him (vs SEC teams top corners) for a td" is a bad thing...

It seems like when we argue with eachother, you have a bad tendency to read what you want to read

I never said it was a "bad" thing, I just don't see him having much success at it in the nfl like he did in college. Veteran corners are going to have better technique not to freeze on all those head/shoulder fakes and double moves

But ofc u read this as "he beat a CB. its a bad thing". No wonder so many have issues trying to argue with you

LMFAO..."How dynamic..."

Sorry. When I need advice on Zelda, u'll be the first guy I call on. Leave the football stuff to the guys who know what they're doing.

And yes you did imply that Randle like was beating corners cheaply. whatever, off conversing with u. u take pot shots bc some one says ur opinion is wrong. Late

edit- and for the record, you are dead wrong trying to tell people nicks and randle are nothing alike. ur reasoning was moronic. Cosell is an excellent evaluator, and Ross is our head scout...i'll take there word over urs

giantsfan420
04-28-2012, 12:19 AM

Would have to disagree.

and the reason U argue with me is bc u make ridiculous claims, get proven wrong, then say "see this is why blah blah blah you cant read blah blah blah"

in this quote, u say it isnt a good thing freezing corners and running by them...

Neverend
04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
in this quote, u say it isnt a good thing freezing corners and running by them...

When I say "how dynamic" I'm saying it isn't overly dynamic beating corners mostly on savvy, deception, and fakes. Its more dynamic beating corners on the outside like michael floyd or kendall wright does... elite range/ball skills or second gear

ive given credit to his savvy many times already through many threads. just dont think he is going to have success with it as much in the nfl as he did in college

Damn, im just repeating myself again compared to my last post. Ugh Its talking to a wall when someone argues with giantsfan420

JJC7301
04-28-2012, 01:15 AM
Well he was right about the QB play at LSU.
Yeah, but no need to say it that way. No need to call out a college QB like that.

GreenZone
04-28-2012, 01:59 AM
This is interesting seeing the YouTube scouting staff making its snap judgments on a guy based on a few clips.

Having seen about 80% of Rueben's games, I have no way to evaluate how well he stacks up against the rest of the WR's out there because I haven't seen many of them, hardly watch any other non-LSU college games, and don't study films. It is true that he has been in a running offense on a team that depends on a strong defense.

And last year's stats, just under 1000 yards were suppressed by the type of offense, poor QB play from Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee (who took over when Jefferson was suspended for the first two games), and was on a team that had easily the most difficult schedule in all NCAA football.

But my observations of him was that he is clutch, dependable and stacked up well against anyone and everyone that LSU faced. He made two mediocre quarterbacks look better.

The reason so many get so much wrong is that how a player continues to develop is the key. A freshman is not the same as a junior or a junior is not the same as a senior. And the same guy coming to a talented and unified team could turn out completely differently than a guy drafted by the Raiders.

A guy who does extra work with Eli can be made into a polished receiver too, through repetitive concerted training. Remember how Tom and Jerry let go of the veteran receivers and trusted the rookies a couple years ago?

Let's talk again in three years. Until then, the snap judgments on draft day are as good as those that comment on the season and conclude what's going to happen after a loss to the Redskins, i.e. in 2007 and again in 2011. You know who you are.

Firenugget
04-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Where did he say Reuben would be as good as Nicks/Cruz? I just watched his presser and not once did he say that. The closest he came to saying something like that was talking about how Nicks/Cruz wouldn't be combine stars either but when you put them on the field they shine, saying he see's Reuben the same way.

That's a far cry from "Reuben will be as good as Nicks and Cruz"...

miked1958
04-28-2012, 08:22 AM

Some dude named Jordan Jefferson (bad stats, bad mechanics, bad decision making etc..)
Yes they made the choice to go with him full time after beating Bama in regular season. Jefferson was more of a running QB. It was a bad choice on their part as it eventually led to them getting destroyed the 2nd time around in CG vs Bama. Prior to the switch they ran a two Quarterback system with Jarrett Lee. Good thrower

Neverend
04-28-2012, 09:15 AM
So you seem to think you can scout better than Jerry Reese Neverend?

lol....

I'm not exactly sure you read "hakeem nicks and reuben randle aren't really similar in terms of big play style" as "i scout better than reese" i hate it when ppl say that, its a lazy counterpoint

But anyway. I guess I'll try to be more open minded and come around on the comparison. You can make the case for them being alike, especially based on some of the criticism nicks was getting predraft

I just think their differences are significant enough to say they arent similar: more importantly -- their big play style

With randle i see a guy who gets more downfield separation than nicks does and runs by corners with fakes and deception. As I showed in the highlights, Nicks wasnt like that NC -- he just simply fought or high pointed the ball all the time.

Im being a little bit of a hyprocrite here as well. I was a huge coby fleener fan and raved about how he beat defenders with his savvy, deception, and fakes & argued hes going to have great success doing so in the nfl. so by no means should i not give randle this same credit

sligoker
04-28-2012, 09:24 AM
My understanding is that the guy is an excellent route runner and can get separation on intermediate routes. He will compliment Victor and Akim perfectly. Can you imagine if we had an pass catching tight end!

NYGRealityCheck
04-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Marc Ross just added that the Giants CONSIDERED taking Randle with the 32nd pick in the 1st round last night. They were shocked they could still get him a whole round later!

I'm a bit surprised as well with R. Randle dropping down to the Giants in the second round. Finder's keepers loser's weepers...

chasjay
04-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm expecting good things from Randle - and his production this year was hindered by LSU's issues at QB. I don't want to take a personal swipe at the LSU QB(s) - but there were complex, negative issues there. I'm a transplant into the N.O. area and am put off by the arrogance of the LSU fans, but for the most part, respect their players. I believe Randle will excel - and hope his old teammate, Chad Jones, gets to defend him in practice.

OX1
04-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Is he smarter than MH, thats all I want. Don't ever want to see Eli throwing into dead space with 3 defenders right around the ball again. I do hope to see MH continue his confusion (and running out of bounds), but I'm sure his new offense will be simplified.

Anyway, we are bringing this guy in as a 3rd, right?? He won't need to jump when he is wide open. I can't wait for Philly to stack the box like they always do, while trying to cover Nicks, Cruz, (whoever we put in as 3rd) and also trying figure out if Wilson is going to take a check down and go to the house. I'm way more exicted to possibly get some kind of running game going. Last year no one had to respect it at all really.

JMFP2
04-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Some comments by Marc Ross on Reuben Randle: "He's an NFL ready wide receiver. He will be fine here because LSU had a terrible QB." "He will be as good as Nicks and Cruz." "We almost took him last night in Round 1. We're shocked we could get him an entire round later." Yes, he said LSU's QB was bad. So they're confident Eli will make him better. And I agree. And I sure hope he is right about him becoming the next Nicks or Cruz.</P>

Marc Ross is The ****ing Man. To me, he's as big a reason as Coughlin &amp; Reese for why the Giants are where they are right now.</P>

Thank God the Bears didn't hire him as their GM this offseason.</P>

This could be his last draft for us, and if so, this was a fitting swan song.</P>

nycisgreat
04-28-2012, 05:05 PM
I think this guys will make a big impact as a 3 wr if given the chance. I think the Giants are going to come away with many good player by the time the draft is over. I am just curious to see what they will do with the talent that are left over.

JMFP2
04-28-2012, 05:31 PM
I think this guys will make a big impact as a 3 wr if given the chance. I think the Giants are going to come away with many good player by the time the draft is over. I am just curious to see what they will do with the talent that are left over.
</P>

Agreed.....Giants are totally set at #1 and #2.....no risk working Randle in as the #3.</P>

UmenYiourAnIdiot
04-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Dont really see Nicks. I guess with the way they stride, their agility and move, but it ends there.

Nicks is more explosive off the ball. Randle is a long strider

Randle runs his routes very upright &amp; rounds them off, sure he stems them well but Nicks is more of a guy who'll drop his weight and is much more sharper

Randle loves to adjust to the ball over his shoulder, Nicks is a guy who will box out a corner and high point the ball

Nicks has a burst to his game, off the line and out of his breaks. Randle is more of a quick guy

Both have good body control and can make contested catches, but Nicks has absolutely SUPERIOR range/radius going up for the ball (which is amazing considering he's like 6'1). Randle can make contested catches but not someone who's going to do it leaping very high in the air

I can keep going on, but this kid isnt Nicks

Randle moves and strides like Nicks, thats it. Nicks made a ton of his big plays in college by just being animal fighting for the ball, randle just runs at corners by freezing them with double moves. I think hes overrated and thats why he fell, not because teams were so dumb to pass on such an amazing player

Great stuff, enjoyed reading that and was really insightful thanks.

I'm excited about the pick, love a flashy offensive weapon.

GMenNY21
04-28-2012, 06:12 PM
My understanding is that the guy is an excellent route runner and can get separation on intermediate routes.* He will compliment Victor and Akim perfectly.* Can you imagine if we had an pass catching tight end!
Who is akim?