PDA

View Full Version : We continue to ignore LB, OL and TE

TuckYou
04-27-2012, 11:55 PM
And somehow, JR builds us championship caliber teams year after year.

Well done.

Wasn't in favor of RB that early, but love the Randle pick and if Reese and Coughlin are good with Hosley's failed drug test, then he could be a steal that late even with our depth at cb.

One would think we would need to address OL and DL in the 4th, but who knows.

In Reese We Trust

JJC7301
04-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Can never have enough depth in the secondary. It seems like we get decimated every single year back there with injuries.

We could really use more depth at Safety.

I'm fine with our LB corp as is, but could use some help on the o-line.

JacksGiant76
04-28-2012, 12:01 AM
I think we're good on LB.

TE we can address a little later, not that immediate of a need.

I would like to see them grab an OLine man sometime soon, whether it's a tackle or guard.

BurnerNYG
04-28-2012, 12:06 AM
How many Lbers do you want? Williams looks to be the real deal and we just picked up Rivers. We picked up Martellus Bennett a few weeks. As far as Oline... I agree, we need some depth.

T.Rice57
04-28-2012, 12:10 AM

Well done.

Wasn't in favor of RB that early, but love the Randle pick and if Reese and Coughlin are good with Hosley's failed drug test, then he could be a steal that late even with our depth at cb.

In Reese We Trust

I agree with nearly everything you've said.

OL- There's still Massie ( he HAS to be gone by our next pick, right?) and the kid from FSU. He's raw but in a later round he may be worth the pick

DT- The kid I have in my sig is supposed to be a beast and supposedly demands a double team.

As far as LB, I'm a big NC State fan and have been saying all off season we need to get Terrell Manning. He's a play maker. I consider myself to be pretty level headed when it comes to the draft, so i don't want to come across as an NC State homer, but he's pretty good.

Would you rather an ILB, or OLB?

nygfan0816
04-28-2012, 12:17 AM
we are set at LB

OL could use depth, like the guys we have now though

TE is the big issue. are going into the season with just Bennett and Pascoe? are there any other FA out there to get cause no1 in the draft looks to be worth much

Drez
04-28-2012, 01:02 AM
we are set at LB OL could use depth, like the guys we have now though TE is the big issue. are going into the season with just Bennett and Pascoe? are there any other FA out there to get cause no1 in the draft looks to be worth much</P>

We have Bennett, Pascoe, and Beckum says he should be ready by the start of the season. There's also a kid on the practice squad, Christan Hopkins, that the staff seems to be high on. TE may not be as big of a need as many think. We don't need a lot of production out of the spot.</P>

Harooni
04-28-2012, 01:06 AM
I do think eventually not drafting OL first day will bite us badly. but Eli is the master at getting rid of the ball fast while back peddling. (to his credit)

but i will not knock the draft especially the first round, could be no good OL fall to us at our pick and JR wants the best available over needs.

G-Men Surg.
04-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Give me George Bryan SC TE and Coach Pope and I will be happy, LOL !

slipknottin
04-28-2012, 02:02 AM
I do think eventually not drafting OL first day will bite us badly

Im not sure you need first day OL. McKenzie was 3rd round, Diehl 5th, Seubert and O'Hara undrafted, Snee was the highest as a 2nd rounder.

I think you can find late round guys that can eventually be starters but you have to give them some time to develop. Like what they are doing with Petrus and Brewer. Draft physically gifted players, teach them technique.

FlyingTruck
04-28-2012, 02:11 AM
What is it with everyone and getting a TE? We got Bennet. Do you guys know how our system works? We don't NEED a TE in our offense.

slipknottin
04-28-2012, 02:13 AM
What is it with everyone and getting a TE? We got Bennet. Do you guys know how our system works? We don't NEED a TE in our offense.

Giants must disagree, seeing as they took a move TE in Beckum in the 3rd round.

And dont blame Beckum's lack of production on the system.

egyptian420
04-28-2012, 02:13 AM

Im not sure you need first day OL. McKenzie was 3rd round, Diehl 5th, Seubert and O'Hara undrafted, Snee was the highest as a 2nd rounder.

I think you can find late round guys that can eventually be starters but you have to give them some time to develop. Like what they are doing with Petrus and Brewer. Draft physically gifted players, teach them technique.

G-Men Surg.
04-28-2012, 02:20 AM

Snee is the highest and he was a 2nd round pick if memory serves my well. This is the Giants way, draft talented and gifted players, strong and with some nasty mean streak ( this last ingredient is running low IMO and will not hurt if they can find some, the 5 players you mention above although not all drafted by the Giants they sure all have or played with some kind of mean streak ).

Danny1024
04-28-2012, 02:23 AM
Boley, Kiwi, Rivers, Blackburn, Williams, ETC isn't enough at LB? Stop being greedy.

You have a legit beef with OL and TE but I think we'll draft a TE (or two) in the next few rounds.

nycsportzfan
04-28-2012, 04:34 AM
And somehow, JR builds us championship caliber teams year after year. Well done. Wasn't in favor of RB that early, but love the Randle pick and if Reese and Coughlin are good with Hosley's failed drug test, then he could be a steal that late even with our depth at cb. One would think we would need to address OL and DL in the 4th, but who knows. In Reese We Trust What he does is plug the gaps at said "need" positons, and keeps loading up his positons, and on occasion makes sure to add a significant piece, like a michael boley , or a david baas... For instance, this yrs gap pluggers are Sean Locklear, Martellus Bennett, and Keith Rivers... I think Locklear is a real solid add, and a great pickup, that could end up being a starter for us and doing a solid job if need be.. To me, Locklear was the best pickup of the offseason, and allowed us to go in other directions on draft day, because we feel confident that he can step in if Brewer is not ready...

Diamondring
04-28-2012, 04:59 AM
Uh oh, giantsfan420 is gonna come down on you hard for this threadAnd that is what he suppose to do.

TooEasy
04-28-2012, 07:26 AM
How can anyone say the Giants ignored LB and TE when they signed Bennett and Rivers?

FA and the draft are both a part of the team building process and Reese is using both very well.

TuckYou
04-28-2012, 07:46 AM
How can anyone say the Giants ignored LB and TE when they signed Bennett and Rivers?</P>

Sorry, should be more specific. I mean the Giants ignore those positions in thedraft. Bennett and Rivers are one year guys. No doubt I love both those pick ups and think they both will be beneficial to us, however, they are rentals not long term guys. dont tell me you dont think our LB core could use a young stud playing MLB or we counldnt of used Fleener or Allen. </P>

I know Reese will work his magic later on, but it just goes to show how overrated certain positions are when you are so much better in others.</P>

sligoker
04-28-2012, 08:25 AM
How about picking up Dallas Smith for a one year ride. I don't know how much he has in the tank, but if he is 80% of what he was, Eli would be one happy camper.

NYDestroyer
04-28-2012, 09:46 AM
That's because they plan to get some undrafted Victor Cruz type talent at those positions LOL![:D]

Redeyejedi
04-28-2012, 09:53 AM

I think you can find late round guys that can eventually be starters but you have to give them some time to develop. Like what they are doing with Petrus and Brewer. Draft physically gifted players, teach them technique.Brewer physically was gifted some had as a 2nd Rounder like Massie. Petrus I had rated as a 3rd Rounder in that draft. Im getting a little anxious though watching the Eagles draft Fletcher Cox, Kendricks who is a great Blitzer and Curry who could be lethal in the Wide 9. Those are really good defensive players the Eagles got. Id say they had the best draft so far

jomo
04-28-2012, 10:09 AM
We.ve signed free agents in all three buckets and very good ones at LB and TE. We can use more on the OL and that needs to start tonight.

NYGRealityCheck
04-28-2012, 10:09 AM

Logic strikes again!!!!

Pa1jintfan
04-28-2012, 10:11 AM
I think we have to make a push now to get down in the first few picks on Saturday. I think it's very important that we get at least 1 quality lineman. I would rather package our 6-7 round picks to get a highly regarded player. Maybe massie. Honestly after a few years, when you look back at a draft class, if you have 2 players starting from that class, you feel pretty good. I think we have 2 right now already. So let's package some late picks and get a stud offensive lineman. Still have to win in the trenches.

jomo
04-28-2012, 10:23 AM

Logic strikes again!!!!Let me start with, we still need some pieces on the OL, particularly guys with a nasty streak We don't need ball room dancers like Beatty. That said, often times JR and the staff know that they've got something good coming through player development. They may feel very good about Brewer and Petrus for example.

slipknottin
04-28-2012, 10:28 AM
If ball room dancers keep guys off Eli I'll take as many of those as possible. In mid late rounds guys who are maulers aren't dancing bears. Guys who do both go early first round

jomo
04-28-2012, 10:30 AM
If ball room dancers keep guys off Eli I'll take as many of those as possible. In mid late rounds guys who are maulers aren't dancing bears. Guys who do both go early first roundYou are right, those guys, as finished products are not available any more this year but there are plenty of projects available who could be like that in a couple of years. We are not getting any ready made help on the OL out of the draft right now. I agree with that.

NYGRealityCheck
04-28-2012, 10:34 AM

Logic strikes again!!!!Let me start with, we still need some pieces on the OL, particularly guys with a nasty streak We don't need ball room dancers like Beatty. That said, often times JR and the staff know that they've got something good coming through player development. They may feel very good about Brewer and Petrus for example.

I totally agree with skip on the "true" purpose of the draft. You draft based on talent and physical ability and then try mold them into decent or great NFL players at the NFL level.

I also agree with you jomo, I expect Reese to start filling some O-line needs in the later rounds. He did well with filling the LB depth last draft in the later rounds.

We haven't even gotten to the undrafted players yet either!

TuckYou
04-28-2012, 11:06 AM
I do think eventually not drafting OL first day will bite us badly Im not sure you need first day OL. McKenzie was 3rd round, Diehl 5th, Seubert and O'Hara undrafted, Snee was the highest as a 2nd rounder. I think you can find late round guys that can eventually be starters but you have to give them some time to develop. Like what they are doing with Petrus and Brewer. Draft physically gifted players, teach them technique. Logic strikes again!!!!</P>

Yeah, but same could be said for RBs. Im not sure you need a first round RB. In fact, you dont. (Giants, Patriots, Packers, Saints ect...) Tiki Barber 2nd round, Brandon Jacobs 4th, Bradshaw 7th, Ware UDFA, Scott 7th, Ron Dayne 1st eeehhhh, Andre Brown 4th. </P>

Would you guys be upset if we got Upshaw in the first and a RB like Turbin in the 4th? I know I would be happy. </P>

G-Men Surg.
04-28-2012, 11:06 AM
We.ve signed free agents in all three buckets and very good ones at LB and TE. We can use more on the OL and that needs to start tonight.
What is your opinion on Ben Jones C of Georgia, do you see him playing under and at G or only C ? I like he's nasty mean streak, good worker and leader, not top notch athlete but I see a of ingredients in him to be a Giants kind of OL.

slipknottin
04-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Going by roster spots, assuming they like Petrus and Brewer, and they expect Locklear to make the team (i would think they do) that leaves one additional spot for another OL. They take 9 into the season generally

1. Diehl
2. Petrus
3. Boothe
4. Baas
5. Beatty
6. Brewer
7. Locklear
8. Snee
9. - unknown

They could also draft two guys, let them compete for final spot during camp, but I think OL need to develop, so competition during the first couple months may just be a waste

NYGRealityCheck
04-28-2012, 11:42 AM
I do think eventually not drafting OL first day will bite us badly Im not sure you need first day OL. McKenzie was 3rd round, Diehl 5th, Seubert and O'Hara undrafted, Snee was the highest as a 2nd rounder. I think you can find late round guys that can eventually be starters but you have to give them some time to develop. Like what they are doing with Petrus and Brewer. Draft physically gifted players, teach them technique. Logic strikes again!!!!</P>

Yeah, but same could be said for RBs. Im not sure you need a first round RB. In fact, you dont. (Giants, Patriots, Packers, Saints ect...) Tiki Barber 2nd round, Brandon Jacobs 4th, Bradshaw 7th, Ware UDFA, Scott 7th, Ron Dayne 1st eeehhhh, Andre Brown 4th. </P>

Would you guys be upset if we got Upshaw in the first and a RB like Turbin in the 4th? I know I would be happy. </P>

Rodney Hampton first-round, the Bucs trading up in the first round thinking they jacked RB Doug Martin from the Giants, etc...

The Giants got the BPA in their opinion and also filled a need at backup-RB.

We will get to know these players on the football field at the NFL level. For now, everyone being drafted is just a name...(I know...very shallow comment)

G-Men Surg.
04-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Ben Jones is off the board, one of my favorite players.

ShakeNBake
04-28-2012, 12:47 PM

I was really hoping to pickup a mauler or two this draft, hopefully we get one soon

BeatYale
04-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Boley, Rivers, Kiwi, Blackburn, Williams, Herzlich, Greg Jones. The latter 3 LB's were rookies who were limited with a short offseason because of the CBA deal. They should progress more this year.

Then you have to consider the fact that last season 60% of the snaps in the NFL involved 3 WR sets meaning our Nickle personnel will be on the field a lot. That will most likely involve Boley and another LB, last season it seemed to be Williams.

We have plenty of LB depth. Heck, there was even talk about Chad Jones playing LB if he felt that was his best chance at being on the active roster.

We signed Shaun Rogers for DT depth. We also have Marvin Austin in the mix.

I thought the OL did well when Boothe/Petrus was at Guard and Diehl moved back to tackle. I'd imagine Diehl will be our RT this year, but we sure could use an upgrade there.

NYSPORTS
04-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Ronell Lewis would be a nice fit if the Giants don't go OL/DL.

He's a LB for those wondering. A bit short but looked nice wearing #56 for the Sooners.

RoanokeFan
04-28-2012, 01:14 PM

Well done.

In Reese We Trust

We have picks yet to go.

nycsportzfan
10-20-2012, 12:14 AM
And somehow, JR builds us championship caliber teams year after year. Well done. Wasn't in favor of RB that early, but love the Randle pick and if Reese and Coughlin are good with Hosley's failed drug test, then he could be a steal that late even with our depth at cb. One would think we would need to address OL and DL in the 4th, but who knows. In Reese We Trust What he does is plug the gaps at said "need" positons, and keeps loading up his positons, and on occasion makes sure to add a significant piece, like a michael boley , or a david baas... For instance, this yrs gap pluggers are Sean Locklear, Martellus Bennett, and Keith Rivers... I think Locklear is a real solid add, and a great pickup, that could end up being a starter for us and doing a solid job if need be.. To me, Locklear was the best pickup of the offseason, and allowed us to go in other directions on draft day, because we feel confident that he can step in if Brewer is not ready... i like looking over these old threads from time to time.. Nailed this one on the head... In reese we trust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BurnerNYG
10-20-2012, 01:07 AM
What did this guy Tuck You change his name to? I used to think him and TMurda was the same person.

Toadofsteel
10-20-2012, 01:11 AM
good job necroing a thread from april, sportzfan...

BlueReign
10-20-2012, 01:19 AM
OL please. THhings change every year. You really can't account for injury that will happen the follwing year.

GMan-67
10-20-2012, 02:39 AM
define ignore?

1st we run a 4-3 D, so you are not gonna spend high draft picks on LBs ... this isnt the 80s with our 3-4 D ... you will use those for DEs ... a 3-4 team would use on OLB ... despite that we aquired Boley and Rivers via FAs and we are not an overly active FA team, so i wouldnt say IGNORE

Oline, well again Baas and Locklear were acquired thru FA ... and Beatty was a high draft pick - 2nd round ... .Snee, a guard, was drafted in the 2nd round, which is as high as you would ever draft a Guard ... the only position you would even consider drafting 1st round is LT ... every season we draft, at least, 1 Olineman ... this year we drafted 2

TE ... well a great example here is that neither Gronk or Hernandez were drafted in the 1st round ... Gronk was 2nd round and Hernandez was 4th round, so not using a 1st on a TE is standard even for the most TE heavy team in the league ... i guess some think we shoulda bypassed Wilson ... left Bennett with the Boys and got Fleener ... thank god we ddint do that

i dont see us ignoring any part of the team ... sometimes we forget there is a salary cap ... it would be nice to have the highest paid player at each position, but we would never fit all that under the cap

BlueSanta
10-20-2012, 07:18 AM
I certainly agree that we have an amazing Gm in Reese. I just dont agree with the notion that we have ignored LB, TE, and OL. Many of those positional needs were addressed via free agency, but not all. It isnt "ignoring a position" if you select it later in the draft. It just might mean you have more faith in your developmental staff.

Because we didnt pick them in the 1st round does not mean we ignored those positions. If that were the case, it would take 22 years to build a proper offense and defense.

nycsportzfan
10-20-2012, 07:30 AM
I certainly agree that we have an amazing Gm in Reese. I just dont agree with the notion that we have ignored LB, TE, and OL. Many of those positional needs were addressed via free agency, but not all. It isnt "ignoring a position" if you select it later in the draft. It just might mean you have more faith in your developmental staff.

Because we didnt pick them in the 1st round does not mean we ignored those positions. If that were the case, it would take 22 years to build a proper offense and defense. agreed.. I think Reese is just really good at using all means nessecary to fill certain positons.. He dosent' reach in the early rounds if the value isnt there for a certain positon because he beleives in finding "gap fillers" and as u said, he believes in his developmental staff.. He dosent' beleive in just RD's 1 through say 4 are the important rds, but all rounds.. Hes smart in finding guys on the FA front that have something to still offer a team, and hes good at knowing what he has, and if that said FA will fit well within the schemes and players he all ready has.. For instance, maybe Locklear woulden't be a good FA pickup for a team like the browns, but for us, and what we have, and the scheme we run, he fits well..

Also, hes smart when spending his money on a FA.. For instance, people say we have trouble at LB, so he drafts a guy with oodles of potential that would of been a 2nd rd pick if he stayed in school a yr early, in Jaquain Williams, and uses FA pool to aquire Active LB Mike Boley, and realizes he can move Kiwi to the SLB positon , and then trades for Keith Rivers, a 1st rder that has been injury prone but clearly has talent, and even throws in a UDF in Chase Blackburn .. TO me, thats using all ur resources and being smart with ur money and really thinking a positon through...

nycsportzfan
10-20-2012, 07:34 AM
good job necroing a thread from april, sportzfan... Uhh, if u got a problem with a old thread being brought up, simply ignore it.. Many others have responded to this thread that has been as u say "necroed", so why not just let us enjoy it and beet feet if u have nothing to offer but trash remarks?

The best part of these new boards is the ability to bring up old threads and see what we thought and were saying months ago.. I happen to enjoy it.. There is no rule saying once a thread leaves the main board, its never to be talked about or brought up again..lol

penguinfarmer
10-20-2012, 07:36 AM
I don't really get the "we don't use the TE in this system". We've been extracting 35 catch / 500+ yard seasons from physically modest late picks and UDFAs. That and Shockey was either first or second on the team in targets during his tenure with Eli, albeit only a few of those seasons had Gilbride at OC. Imagine how this offense would function with a legitimate talent.

With that said, in-line TEs are becoming harder to find as they are of lesser positional value and probably making way to the new age receiving TE. But I can't say Reese has ignored it this year. I think the move for Bennett and project pick with Robinson shows both a short and far-sighted approach.

Giants are gutloaded at LB.

I would love for the OL to be addressed with some young talent for the right side of the line.

RoanokeFan
10-20-2012, 09:12 AM
we are set at LB OL could use depth, like the guys we have now though TE is the big issue. are going into the season with just Bennett and Pascoe? are there any other FA out there to get cause no1 in the draft looks to be worth much We have Bennett, Pascoe, and Beckum says he should be ready by the start of the season. There's also a kid on the practice squad, Christan Hopkins, that the staff seems to be high on. TE may not be as big of a need as many think. We don't need a lot of production out of the spot. You left out Adrian Robinson

RoanokeFan
10-20-2012, 09:14 AM
I don't really get the "we don't use the TE in this system". We've been extracting 35 catch / 500+ yard seasons from physically modest late picks and UDFAs. That and Shockey was either first or second on the team in targets during his tenure with Eli, albeit only a few of those seasons had Gilbride at OC. Imagine how this offense would function with a legitimate talent. With that said, in-line TEs are becoming harder to find as they are of lesser positional value and probably making way to the new age receiving TE. But I can't say Reese has ignored it this year. I think the move for Bennett and project pick with Robinson shows both a short and far-sighted approach. Giants are gutloaded at LB. I would love for the OL to be addressed with some young talent for the right side of the line. It isn't that they don't use the tight end but he's a lineman first. That's what Shockey hated about working here

penguinfarmer
10-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Well, I would refine it as the myth of Giants not utilizing the TE in the passing game as just that, still a myth. I would say some of the prospects the Giants took on were better receivers than blockers upon leaving college who were then asked to take on the role along the line.

I'm willing to bet a fortune that the staff is aiming to have a receiving TE at the caliber of their WR, just not at the expense of system compatibility and other potential draft picks at other positions. To say the Giants are neglecting the TE is just erroneous.

Mohann
10-20-2012, 10:06 AM
I do think eventually not drafting OL first day will bite us badly. but Eli is the master at getting rid of the ball fast while back peddling. (to his credit)

but i will not knock the draft especially the first round, could be no good OL fall to us at our pick and JR wants the best available over needs.

Haha, this made me laugh. What about when he's not back peddling? Does he get the ball off fast then? Is he the only QB that back peddles? You could have just said he gets the ball out quick and left it at that, It is true.

RoanokeFan
10-20-2012, 10:11 AM

Well done.

In Reese We Trust

I agree about the OLine but I have no complaints at LB or TE

JesseJames
10-20-2012, 10:18 AM
What is it with everyone and getting a TE? We got Bennet. Do you guys know how our system works? We don't NEED a TE in our offense.I think the only teams who aren't using the TE in their offense right now are the teams who don't have a decent one, this is becoming a TE oriented league right now....

tonyt830
10-20-2012, 11:07 AM
I am glad to see how our offensive line has gelled as the season has progressed. Now I am all for Reese looking for a future interior linemen or 2 in the coming drafts. Baas and Snee are over 30, Boothe is approaching 30. I think if Beatty stays healthy, he looks to be the LT Reese was hoping he would be, At RT Locklear and Diehl are over 30, so if Brewer can step in next season, he could be the RT of the future for the Giants. If not, Reese may look at a T in the coming drafts.

And I am not saying they should draft one in the 1st or 2nd rd necessarily, because Reese will not reach on a draft pick.

As for TE, like Roanoke said, TEs that come to the Giants need to be willing and able to block ahead of being a receiver.

jomo
10-20-2012, 11:21 AM
We are down to OL now in need of major work, JR will get after that in the off season.

RoanokeFan
10-20-2012, 11:24 AM
We are down to OL now in need of major work, JR will get after that in the off season.

You can't help but admire the team's philosophy

fansince69
10-20-2012, 12:22 PM
You can't help but admire the team's philosophy

I agree.....people get hurt...next man steps up...does job and we keep winning with the exact formula that we have been using.....drafting best player available.......why would anyone want to change it?

It would make total sense to draft a OL in first round who probably has no more than 2nd or 3rd round talent.........this is how you get 1st round picks that suck....by drafting by need.....you cant pick a position because you need it... if the player is not worthy of the pick