PDA

View Full Version : The Impact of David Wilson

True That
04-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Wanted to start off by raving about this pick. I love this guy's fiery running and personal style. I believe a team like the Giants can benefit from a player like this, a player that the head coach will LOVE.

That being said, I'm curious to see what you all thought he can accomplish his rookie year. Of course it depends on injuries and performance in training camp, but what do you think is a realistic outcome from WIlson's first year as a New York football Giants?!

TuckYou
04-28-2012, 11:27 AM
He will be backup RB, maybe a return man with Hosely / Hixon. If Bradshaw gets injured, he will get more touches, but I still feel TC will use Ware more as a primary back if AB goes down. Wilson needs to fix his fumbling problem, like Bradshaw did and Scott is working on. We love RBs that fumble.</P>

</P>

slipknottin
04-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Well a lot of it depends on Bradshaw's health too, and how the OL plays.

But if its a hit, and he transitions his game the way we hope, hits the holes inside instead of bouncing, takes what the D gives instead of dancing behind the line, then I would expect perhaps 100-150 carries, and 400-700 yards.

FBomb
04-28-2012, 11:30 AM
The guy was never on my radar, soI don't know a lot about him,but as a 1st rd pick I would hope that he has an immediate impact!! </P>

Other than hope, what do you have?</P>

giantsfan420
04-28-2012, 11:33 AM
i think i read somewhere that he's going to be the 2nd rb on the depth chart right away...

hopefully he can make an impact in ST if he isnt getting carries, but I'm hopeful we'll see a lot of him bc he adds a dimension to our offense we havent had for a while

TuckYou
04-28-2012, 11:46 AM
the thing that scares me a bit is our OLine was horrible last year at run blocking. How did we improve it? </P>

Spizi
04-28-2012, 11:47 AM
2000 yards and 22 TDs sounds reasonable

slipknottin
04-28-2012, 11:48 AM
the thing that scares me a bit is our OLine was horrible last year at run blocking. How did we improve it? </P>

Lots of NFL people say the back makes the OL, the OL doesnt make the back

NYGRealityCheck
04-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Don't know but the Giants were No. 1 at Rushing in the playoffs, which is all that mattered last season.

giantsfan420
04-28-2012, 11:49 AM

i think by not changing it up it will improve it. continuity is a big factor imo. hopefully with a full offseason program, andbeing on the same page, they'll improve.

and also, some say that a rb can make the OL look better...

I too would like to see OL improve, but I'm still hopeful that the corp we had just needs more time together

Spizi
04-28-2012, 11:53 AM

Don't know but the Giants were No. 1 at Rushing in the playoffs, which is all that mattered last season.

probably because they played in 4 playoff games instead of 3 or less like some teams...

jjj45
04-28-2012, 11:54 AM
If the Giants bothered to spend of first round pick on him then I should hope he starts as the #2.

Cuz Ware sure as heck ain't scaring anybody.

Mohann
04-28-2012, 11:59 AM
the thing that scares me a bit is our OLine was horrible last year at run blocking. How did we improve it? </p>

It improved when Diehl was moved from guard, and will improve again when McKenzie is replaced. Snee and Baas getting healthier helped too.

TuckYou
04-28-2012, 12:01 PM

Lots of NFL people say the back makes the OL, the OL doesnt make the back</P>

Thats wack... IMO. A solid OL can make great RBs. Great RBs cant really make great OLmen. Was Barry Sanders' OL ever considered great? Barry I think actually led the league in tackles for losss while he played. But guys like Derrek Ward and some of those RBs in Denver look great, but it was because of the OL.</P>

GfieldGmen
04-28-2012, 12:01 PM
screens, screens, screens

NYGRealityCheck
04-28-2012, 12:27 PM

probably because they played in 4 playoff games instead of 3 or less like some teams...

can't help it if the team went all the way... lol

Mr Excitement
04-28-2012, 01:29 PM
If you are talking Barry Sanders maybe..he had horrible O lines...But Emmitt Smith had one of the best O Lines ever to run behind...Smith would have never had the career he had running behind the Lions line that Sanders had....That being said...Wilson is no Barry Sanders, so the line will have to improve.

since55
04-28-2012, 01:39 PM
If by week 8 he has become proficient at standing up rushing defensive linemen I will be ecstatic. All else will be gravy.

mainegiantsfan
04-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Case I always refer to (for you fans from a few years back) the year the Giants picked up Ron Johnson and immediately changed from a poor line to a very good one.

Mohann
04-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Case I always refer to (for you fans from a few years back) the year the Giants picked up Ron Johnson and immediately changed from a poor line to a very good one.

And Carpenter in 81, but you still need talent on the oline.

JMFP2
04-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I think Wilson is going to be our #1 back by the end of the season....I don't think Bradshaw's feet are going to hold up for an entire season.</P>

And if Bradshaw can stay healthy, it will probably be due to Wilson getting close to 40% of the running back workload (along with DJ Ware).</P>

Toadofsteel
04-28-2012, 03:58 PM

can't help it if the team went all the way... lol

I wonder where the giants ranked in yards per carry for all playoff teams?

gmen0820
04-28-2012, 04:06 PM

Lots of NFL people say the back makes the OL, the OL doesnt make the back</P>

Thats wack... IMO. A solid OL can make great RBs. Great RBs cant really make great OLmen. Was Barry Sanders' OL ever considered great? Barry I think actually led the league in tackles for losss while he played. But guys like Derrek Ward and some of those RBs in Denver look great, but it was because of the OL.</P>You're right, it's wack.

Rice, McCoy, Williams, Stewart, McFadden, Forte, CJ2K, Peterson, MJD, LdT, all mid round picks. Oh wait.

People get so caught up in the OL, by that logic, what makes a good or bad RB? Nothing. I guess teams are stupid to ever draft a RB before round 4.

Gmenfan87
04-28-2012, 04:14 PM
This kid needs to be coached up in pass protection and then he will crack the line up and be effective because he can catch and is super fast. But until he does that then he will ride the pine.

mainegiantsfan
04-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Yes you do need talent, but as Carpenter and Johnson proved, a great back can offset the line talent quite a bit. BTW Carpenter didn't come to my mind right away, so thanks for the reminder. These guys came to us pretty cheap also. Johnson got cut by Cleveland after the exibition season, and Carpenter came in a trade.

Mohann
04-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Yes you do need talent, but as Carpenter and Johnson proved, a great back can offset the line talent quite a bit. BTW Carpenter didn't come to my mind right away, so thanks for the reminder. These guys came to us pretty cheap also. Johnson got cut by Cleveland after the exibition season, and Carpenter came in a trade.

Maybe before Carpenter and Johnson the oilne was doing ok but looked bad because of the running back. They help each other.