PDA

View Full Version : Jayron Hosley.. Are you serious??

Serg812
04-28-2012, 01:57 PM
How do we end up with a guy like this in the 3rd round? Might be my favorite pick so far. I like Wilson, Randle is ok to me, but Hosley looks like the real deal. Looks better than Prince did. His only negative is his size but makes up for it with that 37 inch vertical and instincts. Great in man to man, good at zone, a human missile against the run? We have a gem, boys. All hail Reese!!

giantsfan420
04-28-2012, 01:59 PM
How do we end up with a guy like this in the 3rd round? Might be my favorite pick so far. I like Wilson, Randle is ok to me, but Hosley looks like the real deal. Looks better than Prince did. His only negative is his size but makes up for it with that 37 inch vertical and instincts. Great in man to man, good at zone, a human missile against the run? We have a gem, boys. All hail Reese!!

i agree. he's a serious ball hawk, and has tremendous range. great closing speed, and excellent ball skills...he could be one of the best steals of the entire draft...

Axels15
04-28-2012, 02:02 PM
He dropped cause of a weak Junior year, and getting testing positive for Pot at the combine.

That said, didn't Super Mario fall because of weed concerns? That worked out pretty well

nYg24
04-28-2012, 02:14 PM
He dropped cause of a weak Junior year, and getting testing positive for Pot at the combine.

That said, didn't Super Mario fall because of weed concerns? That worked out pretty well

I love how testing positive for pot is a big red flag, i bet the majority of college students smoke pot... AT LEAST once.

Axels15
04-28-2012, 02:16 PM

I love how testing positive for pot is a big red flag, i bet the majority of college students smoke pot... AT LEAST once.

I'm sure they do. But more of an issue is that the players KNOW they will be tested at the combine, and yet they can't stop themselves from smoking for a few months.

That's the big issue

RoanokeFan
04-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Hosley is insurance against TT or Amukamara not being 100% physically. Great move.

ShakeNBake
04-28-2012, 02:24 PM

I'm sure they do. But more of an issue is that the players KNOW they will be tested at the combine, and yet they can't stop themselves from smoking for a few months.

That's the big issue

I really hate this argument, because depending on the individual pot can stay in your system for up to 4-6 weeks, where virtually every other drug clears from your system in usually 48hrs. The guy who gets "red flagged" for pot could have done so way beforehand, while the guy who stops doing coke for 2 days before the combine will test clean. Just a really stupid way to evaluate someone imo.

jjj45
04-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Reminds me so much of Brent grimes.

Giantz4Life
04-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Not to "high-jack" the thread ( I kill myself sometimes)

But this is an interesting article about marijuana use among college athletes, mainly the Oregon Ducks:

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2012/04/19/from-the-department-of-obvious-college-athletes-smoke-weed/

Axels15
04-28-2012, 02:39 PM

That's the big issue

I really hate this argument, because depending on the individual pot can stay in your system for up to 4-6 weeks, where virtually every other drug clears from your system in usually 48hrs. The guy who gets "red flagged" for pot could have done so way beforehand, while the guy who stops doing coke for 2 days before the combine will test clean. Just a really stupid way to evaluate someone imo.

I don't think it's awful. They know the combine is coming, and they know (or should) that it can stay in their system for more than a month.

So just don't do it for two months. I've smoked. It's not that difficult.

Bones911
04-28-2012, 02:40 PM
I like the pick too. He is a ball hawk and he is primarily a nickel corner. WE PLAY A LOT OF NICKLE. Perry loves those 5 DB's sets. So I think he will take Deon Grants spot and Rolle then can play his natural safety.

giantsfan420
04-28-2012, 02:42 PM
I like the pick too. He is a ball hawk and he is primarily a nickel corner. WE PLAY A LOT OF NICKLE. Perry loves those 5 DB's sets. So I think he will take Deon Grants spot and Rolle then can play his natural safety.

our nickel corner is diff than the role grant gave us. I project T2 as that hybrid safety. Hosley is a lil too undersize for that particular role, but as a nickel corner, he has immense talent and potential. he could be our starting nickel corner on day 1

Serg812
04-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Our defensive backfield is looking promising. Don't forget about how good Witherspoon was looking last year before he got hurt. Hopefully we can keep him as well but there will be crazy competition for the last spot. 4th CB will be Hosley, 5th CB will either be Witherspoon, Tryon, Molden, Bruce Johnson, Michael Coe. Ton of talent at this position.

rEaS
04-28-2012, 03:09 PM

That's the big issue

this exactly.. i dont really care about the pot.. it just makes me question their intelligence overall..

but in any case i think its a steal.. and sometime you don't need to be that bright to be a football player.. point in case.. super mario..

GiantWarfare
04-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Hosley might be a real steal...

If it wasn't for him being undersized he'd be a 1st round lock

BurnerNYG
04-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Sam Madison was so called undersized. If Hosley puts in the work, he's gonna mess around and take somebody's job.

Marvelousmik
04-28-2012, 03:45 PM

That's the big issue

this exactly.. i dont really care about the pot.. it just makes me question their intelligence overall..

but in any case i think its a steal.. and sometime you don't need to be that bright to be a football player.. point in case.. super mario..

i can bet you anything there are other players on our roster who smoke pot lol. One person that immediately jumps out to me is nicks. He always looks borderline high in every interview he does

JMFP2
04-28-2012, 03:52 PM
</P>

I'd like to thank the dude who passed Hosley that joint prior to the Combine.....if not for that, he wouldn't be around for the G-Men.</P>

With his vertical leap + wingspan, he can playa ball 11 feet in the air.</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4yWAOqviFY&amp;feature=player_embedded</P>

BurnerNYG
04-28-2012, 03:53 PM
I didn't realize people still call weed pot. Lol

GMENAGAIN
04-28-2012, 05:18 PM
He dropped cause of a weak Junior year, and getting testing positive for Pot at the combine. That said, didn't Super Mario fall because of weed concerns? That worked out pretty well I love how testing positive for pot is a big red flag, i bet the majority of college students smoke pot... AT LEAST once.</P>

It's not the smoking pot itself . . . . its the stupidity and immaturity shown by the decision to smoke before the biggest job interview in your life when you know you are going to be tested . . . . </P>

THE_New_York_Giants
04-28-2012, 05:22 PM

That's the big issue
I can assure you most of us college professors smoke bud at least once a week.

FUUFNF
04-28-2012, 05:33 PM
21 year old college kids aren't generally known for the best decision making... Plus, depending on what the NFL uses for their marijuana test, the individual's metabolism, and frequency of use, positive results can come from use 3-6 months back... Remember, these are college Seniors and Juniors who are on the verge of possibly making millions of dollars... I might be very tempted to live it up a bit too... Not making any excuses, but I just don't think that's a big deal... I'd much rather have a kid who smokes a little weed every now and then, versus a player who has a drinking problem, or has a history of violence, or is lazy... I'm sure Jayron now realizes that his little mistake may have cost him quite a bit of money, but hopefully he learns from this.

ShakeNBake
04-28-2012, 08:14 PM

That's the big issue

I don't think it's awful. They know the combine is coming, and they know (or should) that it can stay in their system for more than a month.

So just don't do it for two months. I've smoked. It's not that difficult.

not smoking for awhile wouldn't be too much to ask of a mature adult, but we are talking about young men who have growing up to do, and make many stupid decisions. Personally I wouldn't even consider it as a negative, especially considering half the other **** some other guys do.

ShakeNBake
04-28-2012, 08:16 PM
He dropped cause of a weak Junior year, and getting testing positive for Pot at the combine. That said, didn't Super Mario fall because of weed concerns? That worked out pretty well I love how testing positive for pot is a big red flag, i bet the majority of college students smoke pot... AT LEAST once.</p>

It's not the smoking pot itself . . . . its the stupidity and immaturity shown by the decision to smoke before the biggest job interview in your life when you know you are going to be tested . . . . </p>

Pot can stay in your system for a long time, its not like these guys are ripping bongs the day before of the combine

Mod_C
04-28-2012, 08:43 PM
He dropped cause of a weak Junior year, and getting testing positive for Pot at the combine. That said, didn't Super Mario fall because of weed concerns? That worked out pretty well I love how testing positive for pot is a big red flag, i bet the majority of college students smoke pot... AT LEAST once.</p>

It's not the smoking pot itself . . . . its the stupidity and immaturity shown by the decision to smoke before the biggest job interview in your life when you know you are going to be tested . . . . </p>

Pot can stay in your system for a long time, its not like these guys are ripping bongs the day before of the combine

It's not that he did whatever he did, it's that, when asked, he lied. He's acknowledged both were wrong and he's been given a second chance.

greenca190
04-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Anyone know how they test for drugs at the combine? Sure, pot can be detected in your urine for up to a month after usage, but what about hair?

Never mind. The answer is: Urine.

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/gridiron/nfl-draft.htm

Urine, I tell you. URINE.

FIFTY6G-MAN
04-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Well, it sure beats the cocaine that major league baseball players were doing just before gametime(Dennis "Oil-Can" Boyd). Either way, we ended up getting him and from some highlight vids he is a ball hawk and also a legit return guy! Hope he pans out and starts making better decisions pronto!

Brandon jacobs
04-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Just got out of the hospital and need surgery next month and today is my anniversary.

I missed the draft. I see you guys popping bubbly for our draft this year... pour me a drink!

ShakeNBake
04-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Anyone know how they test for drugs at the combine? Sure, pot can be detected in your urine for up to a month after usage, but what about hair?

Never mind. The answer is: Urine.

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/gridiron/nfl-draft.htm

Urine, I tell you. URINE.

If they took hair samples everyone would test dirty

NY_Eli
04-29-2012, 03:52 AM
With his jumping ability and long arms he plays much taller than his height indicates. Loving the pick.

giantsfan420
04-29-2012, 03:59 AM
With his jumping ability and long arms he plays much taller than his height indicates. Loving the pick.

sports science did a feature on him. his wing span is that of a 6'5 player...his span is only a few inches shorter than JPP!

he's gonnabe our nickel corner day 1...i love the pick bc it allows T2 to move into Grants role, it allows Rolle to do what he does best, ball hawk FS, which then gives KP more dimensions to his game like playing near the LOS which he rarely did bc he was pretty much the only S who could play the deep centerfield role. Webby and Prince on the perimeter, with great depth in Tryon, Weatherspoon, Coe, Molden and Johnson

each unit/position on our team is so stacked right now its unbelievable especially in the cap/FA era

NY_Eli
04-29-2012, 04:26 AM

sports science did a feature on him. his wing span is that of a 6'5 player...his span is only a few inches shorter than JPP!

he's gonnabe our nickel corner day 1...i love the pick bc it allows T2 to move into Grants role, it allows Rolle to do what he does best, ball hawk FS, which then gives KP more dimensions to his game like playing near the LOS which he rarely did bc he was pretty much the only S who could play the deep centerfield role. Webby and Prince on the perimeter, with great depth in Tryon, Weatherspoon, Coe, Molden and Johnson

each unit/position on our team is so stacked right now its unbelievable especially in the cap/FA era

Yep. I thought Tryon was the future at nickel corner to be honest but I think it's pretty clear they drafted Hosley to fill that rule.

FIFTY6G-MAN
04-29-2012, 04:23 PM
With his jumping ability and long arms he plays much taller than his height indicates. Loving the pick. sports science did a feature on him. his wing span is that of a 6'5 player<FONT color=#0000ff size=4>...his span is only a few inches shorter than JPP</FONT>! he's gonnabe our nickel corner day 1...i love the pick bc it allows T2 to move into Grants role, it allows Rolle to do what he does best, ball hawk FS, which then gives KP more dimensions to his game like playing near the LOS which he rarely did bc he was pretty much the only S who could play the deep centerfield role. Webby and Prince on the perimeter, with great depth in Tryon, Weatherspoon, Coe, Molden and Johnson each unit/position on our team is so stacked right now its unbelievable especially in the cap/FA eraUH- JPP's wing span is 7'3.Thats almost a foot. ButI get your point.

ShakeNBake
04-29-2012, 10:26 PM

It's not that he did whatever he did, it's that, when asked, he lied. He's acknowledged both were wrong and he's been given a second chance.

I didn't know that he was asked and lied about it, that changes things.

Kase-1
04-29-2012, 11:05 PM
The more I read about and watch videos of him, the more I really like this pick. He's steps in being one of the better zone CBs on our team since thats what VT did most of the time

From cbssports.com

<div class="featureComponent stdPad"><div id="choppedContent">
Read &amp; React: Gets better as the game goes on, picking up on small
details and learning on the fly -- gets smarter as game progresses. Has
very quick reaction skills and does a nice job using his eyes to
recognize what the offense wants to do. Makes snap decisions and loves
to drive on the ball. Will get caught with his eyes in the backfield at
times, allowing the receiver to gain a step.

Man Coverage: A smooth athlete with fluid footwork and excellent
quickness out of his breaks to drive on the ball. Has loose hips with
above average foot quickness and balance to transition in a flash.
Possesses the change of direction ability to be sticky in tight<span id="elipsis"></span></div><div id="expandoContent" style="">coverage.
Will get too hands-on in coverage and his physical nature will attract
penalties at the next level. Needs to stay under control through the
whistle.

Zone Coverage: Shows exceptional feel in zone coverage, putting himself
in ideal position to make a play with very good body positioning. Highly
aggressive and competitive when the ball is in the air. Shows the
ballskills and awareness to make plays on the ball. Lined up mostly in
off-man coverage at Virginia Tech and has an obvious comfort level in
this scheme.

Closing/Recovery: Hosley lacks elite speed and trusts his athleticism
too much -- hasn't focused on developing his technique and footwork for
the position. Doesn't have great long-speed to recover after a false
step. Accelerates in a flash to close in a hurry.

Run Support: Has a physical playing style and never backs down in run
support. Scrappy and loves to get dirty, attacking ballcarriers and
never backing down. Very lean and lack of strength is a concern -- needs
to spend more time in the weight room to add bulk. Inconsistent in run
support because he's too easily blocked and knocked out of the play.
Often overaggressive, taking inaccurate angles to the play --
undisciplined with too many self-inflicted wounds.

Tackling: Needs to become a better wrap tackler and not settle for
simply throwing his body around -- missed too many open-field tackles.
Undersized with a short, light frame -- lack of overall size against
bigger ballcarriers is tough to ignore.

Intangibles: Has a feisty playing temperament and displays much needed
confidence for the position. Adds value as a return man on special
teams, averaging 11.8 yards per return as a three-year punt returner,
including a pair of touchdowns over his career. Has been very productive
with a combined 12 interceptions and 20 passes broken up the past two
seasons as a starter. Struggled with injuries in 2011, battling a
hamstring and then a concussion late in the season.

-- Dane Brugler
</div><p id="expandoLink" style="cursor:pointer; font:12px Arial bold; color:#3E69AE; float:right;white-space:nowrap; margin-right:20px;position:relative"><span id="label">Close </span>http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/fantasynews/minus.png</p></div>

RoanokeFan
04-29-2012, 11:27 PM
<font color="#0000FF">The more I read about and watch videos of him, the more I really like this pick. He's steps in being one of the better zone CBs on our team since thats what VT did most of the time
</font>
From cbssports.com

<div class="featureComponent stdPad"><div id="choppedContent">
Read &amp; React: Gets better as the game goes on, picking up on small
details and learning on the fly -- gets smarter as game progresses. Has
very quick reaction skills and does a nice job using his eyes to
recognize what the offense wants to do. Makes snap decisions and loves
to drive on the ball. Will get caught with his eyes in the backfield at
times, allowing the receiver to gain a step.

Man Coverage: A smooth athlete with fluid footwork and excellent
quickness out of his breaks to drive on the ball. Has loose hips with
above average foot quickness and balance to transition in a flash.
Possesses the change of direction ability to be sticky in tight<span id="elipsis"></span></div><div id="expandoContent" style="">coverage.
Will get too hands-on in coverage and his physical nature will attract
penalties at the next level. Needs to stay under control through the
whistle.

Zone Coverage: Shows exceptional feel in zone coverage, putting himself
in ideal position to make a play with very good body positioning. Highly
aggressive and competitive when the ball is in the air. Shows the
ballskills and awareness to make plays on the ball. Lined up mostly in
off-man coverage at Virginia Tech and has an obvious comfort level in
this scheme.

Closing/Recovery: Hosley lacks elite speed and trusts his athleticism
too much -- hasn't focused on developing his technique and footwork for
the position. Doesn't have great long-speed to recover after a false
step. Accelerates in a flash to close in a hurry.

Run Support: Has a physical playing style and never backs down in run
support. Scrappy and loves to get dirty, attacking ballcarriers and
never backing down. Very lean and lack of strength is a concern -- needs
to spend more time in the weight room to add bulk. Inconsistent in run
support because he's too easily blocked and knocked out of the play.
Often overaggressive, taking inaccurate angles to the play --
undisciplined with too many self-inflicted wounds.

Tackling: Needs to become a better wrap tackler and not settle for
simply throwing his body around -- missed too many open-field tackles.
Undersized with a short, light frame -- lack of overall size against
bigger ballcarriers is tough to ignore.

Intangibles: Has a feisty playing temperament and displays much needed
confidence for the position. Adds value as a return man on special
teams, averaging 11.8 yards per return as a three-year punt returner,
including a pair of touchdowns over his career. Has been very productive
with a combined 12 interceptions and 20 passes broken up the past two
seasons as a starter. Struggled with injuries in 2011, battling a
hamstring and then a concussion late in the season.

-- Dane Brugler
</div><p id="expandoLink" style="cursor:pointer; font:12px Arial bold; color:#3E69AE; float:right;white-space:nowrap; margin-right:20px;position:relative"><span id="label">Close </span>http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/fantasynews/minus.png</p></div>

It just goes to show we don't to junk!

I live in the heart of Hookie Land. I don't follow college sports but all of my friends know I am a huge GIANTS fan. I have been hearing from all of them a bout what great players these VT guys are. The proof will be in the pudding but from all indications around here, we've struck gold.

RoanokeFan
04-29-2012, 11:31 PM

I didn't know that he was asked and lied about it, that changes things.

He's young. We've all done stupid things.

JJC7301
04-30-2012, 12:20 AM

That's the big issue
I know -- the stupidity is frightening. At least MM was a total pro as a Giant. He appeared to have truly learned from his mistake, but he paid $$$ for that mistake.

I don't remember if he failed his test for pot at the combine. I could be wrong, but I thought he got busted a few times for pot while in college. Either way, incredibly stupid when you've got millions of dollars on the plate.

XxBigWhitxX
04-30-2012, 12:28 AM
With his jumping ability and long arms he plays much taller than his height indicates. Loving the pick. sports science did a feature on him. his wing span is that of a 6'5 player<FONT color=#0000ff size=4>...his span is only a few inches shorter than JPP</FONT>! he's gonnabe our nickel corner day 1...i love the pick bc it allows T2 to move into Grants role, it allows Rolle to do what he does best, ball hawk FS, which then gives KP more dimensions to his game like playing near the LOS which he rarely did bc he was pretty much the only S who could play the deep centerfield role. Webby and Prince on the perimeter, with great depth in Tryon, Weatherspoon, Coe, Molden and Johnson each unit/position on our team is so stacked right now its unbelievable especially in the cap/FA eraUH- JPP's wing span is 7'3.*Thats almost a foot. But*I get your point.Hosley's wingspan 76"
JPP's wingspan 81"

that's what he means.

Drez
04-30-2012, 12:40 AM

For an occasional or casual smoker, a urine test probably uncover use in the past 2 weeks. A heavy smoker might test positive about a month and a half later.

Either way, it's not like the kid didn't know when the combine was going to be.

That being said, I don't have an issue with pot so long as it doesn't negatively effect what a person is supposed to do.