PDA

View Full Version : What was your personal favorite Giants' draft pick?

Breezely
04-28-2012, 07:13 PM
I know there is a bunch of you who probably think this is the worst draft in Giants' history. For those. . . . . .maybe this post is not for you. For the rest of us; I know only time will tell about the selections but with the free-agent signings and the draft selections, I am satisfied. One thing for certain, our special teams units have tremendously improved.

As much as I like the David Wilson pick, I am ecstatic about the Randle pick.

My personal favorite pick : Rueben Randle, LSU

nycsportzfan
04-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Mines been Jayron Hosely.. I also really like the Mosely and McCants picks.. I'm not a huge fan of RDs 1or2, mainly because of value with Wilson, and as for Randle, i just don't see him as a diffrence maker, but more just a guy type... Jayron is my favorite pick

myles2424
04-28-2012, 07:21 PM
*Mines been Jayron Hosely..** I also really like the Mosely and McCants picks.. I'm not a huge fan of RDs 1or2, mainly because of value with Wilson, and as for Randle, i just don't see him as a diffrence maker, but more just a guy type...* Jayron is my favorite pick
I like Jayron also...
As far as randle goes, fortunately we don't need him to be a difference maker......hes going to compete for the 3rd spot & being a 1st round talent at the 3rd WR spot, I'd say thats pretty damn good...

nevada11
04-28-2012, 07:23 PM
David wilson, the best RB in the draft behind richardson. Stud, better than martin really

allentown PA
04-28-2012, 07:27 PM
*Mines been Jayron Hosely..** I also really like the Mosely and McCants picks.. I'm not a huge fan of RDs 1or2, mainly because of value with Wilson, and as for Randle, i just don't see him as a diffrence maker, but more just a guy type...* Jayron is my favorite pick
I like Jayron also...
As far as randle goes, fortunately we don't need him to be a difference maker......hes going to compete for the 3rd spot & being a 1st round talent at the 3rd WR spot, I'd say thats pretty damn good...

dont need him to be a difference maker? Manningham was...was that important during the playoff run?

VegasGmen
04-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Randle!

TheEnigma
04-28-2012, 07:50 PM
I like McCants upside but it's a hard choice between Randle and Mosley for me.

myles2424
04-28-2012, 07:52 PM
I like Jayron also...

dont need him to be a difference maker? Manningham was...was that important during the playoff run?
wrong wording.....dont need him to become a #1...
If a 1st round talent Wr cant be a difference maker at the 3rd spot, something wrong

nycsportzfan
04-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Mines been Jayron Hosely.. I also really like the Mosely and McCants picks.. I'm not a huge fan of RDs 1or2, mainly because of value with Wilson, and as for Randle, i just don't see him as a diffrence maker, but more just a guy type... Jayron is my favorite pick I like Jayron also... As far as randle goes, fortunately we don't need him to be a difference maker......hes going to compete for the 3rd spot & being a 1st round talent at the 3rd WR spot, I'd say thats pretty damn good... See, i think if your drafting a WR in the 2nd rd, then hes gotta be pretty good, and at least capable of being the "GUY".. I could be dead wrong, but i don't see it with Randle... I see more of another LSU WR Dud type.. He kinda reminds me of Brandon Lafell alittle bit.. Outta all the picks, i probably dislike the Randle pick the most... So many talented WR's out there, u could of snatched Juron Criner with your last pick of RD 4 or Marvin McNutt or someone like that, who in my opinion, are not only way more productive players, but similar in measurables, speed, and route running..

b_ELI_eve
04-28-2012, 08:10 PM
When Manningham was drafted, who really thought he would be an impact player?? Turned out to make quite the impact for us, and I see Randle doing the same after a season in the system.

But I like the Hosley pick because its going to create even more competition at corner. TT, Prince and the rest of our corners (besides Cweb) will be earning playing time. Training camp is going to be intense for them

jonnyhaze
04-28-2012, 08:56 PM
David Wilson is my favorite pick by far.
This kid is going to be fan favorite by the time pre-season over.
Giants haven't had this caliber of a runningback since tiki barber in his prime.
People want to knock on his fumbling as a huge negative but most of the fumbles came from 2nd efforts after breaking tackles.

The Giants are a big play offense now if you havent noticed and this draft reflects that philosophy. We now have a player that can get homeruns in the run game. Something our offense has lacked for quite some time.

Evo'Ed
04-28-2012, 09:02 PM
David Wilson is my favorite pick by far.
This kid is going to be fan favorite by the time pre-season over.
Giants haven't had this caliber of a runningback since tiki barber in his prime.
People want to knock on his fumbling as a huge negative but most of the fumbles came from 2nd efforts after breaking tackles.*

The Giants are a big play offense now if you havent noticed and this draft reflects that philosophy.* We now have a player that can get homeruns in the run game.* Something our offense has lacked for quite some time.

Agreed!

The kid is certainly talented.

I don' t understand why so many people on these forums are not happy with this pick.

It seems everybody wanted Doug Martin, who many evaluators had ranked behind Wilson.

Zoboomafoo
04-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Getting Randle at 63 was a steal.

Juanito
04-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Getting Randle at 63 was a steal.
Agreed. Thats why we are consistently a winning team too. Reese rarely reaches in the draft while teams like the Rams and Browns reach for guys consistently.

NYGRealityCheck
04-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Randle... only cause I don't keep up with college football games and he played for the LSU Tigers on the national spotlight twice and was their featured WR....

moecoastie
04-28-2012, 10:57 PM
David Wilson....

I dont watch college football much (except all of Manti Teo's games) but this guy seems really explosive.

are people getting tired of the term "value" being used so loosely? It wasnt like the Giants drafted a kicker in the 3rd round!

JMFP2
04-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Mines been Jayron Hosely.. I also really like the Mosely and McCants picks.. I'm not a huge fan of RDs 1or2, mainly because of value with Wilson, and as for Randle, i just don't see him as a diffrence maker, but more just a guy type... Jayron is my favorite pick</P>

Me too....Hosely, then Wilson.</P>

JJC7301
04-29-2012, 02:15 AM
I've got to say Robinson (TE) only because he was new to me and I've been really happy about what the FO had to say about him. Looking over the clips that another thread posted on him, he's a really tall dude who looks VERY athletic, and as the FO gushed he's already an excellent blocker.

JMFP2
04-29-2012, 02:20 AM
I've got to say Robinson (TE) only because he was new to me and I've been really happy about what the FO had to say about him. Looking over the clips that another thread posted on him, he's a really tall dude who looks VERY athletic, and as the FO gushed he's already an excellent blocker.</P>

Nice....don't really know anything about him, but sounds solid.</P>

Diamondring
04-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Reuben made me happy and yes he can make the 3 wr set and 4 wr set almost unstoppable.

Mohann
04-29-2012, 03:08 AM
Loving Wilson and Robinson.
Really like a lot Randle and Hosley.

I think Wilson has speed we haven't seen at RB in a long time, I like that he can catch. He does need to learn patience and setting up his blocks, but then again he didn't have much blocking on the neg yardage runs I saw. He'll get a few carries, and break long runs, catches and returns.

Robinson can block, and is more athletic than Ballard. I think Pope will do wonders with him.

giantyankee1976
04-29-2012, 04:58 AM
I have a toss-up:

D-Wil as he might be the speedback I've wanted for a while

and

Double-R, as he is a definite Needs pick as well and will help keep defending 2ndaries honest or at minimum force them to choose their poison.

BlueSanta
04-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Most of the guys in the draft forums will tell you I have been on the Wilson bandwagon for months. I just dont think you can fake his production. Every team he faced in college knew the key to stopping Virginia Tech was to stop their run game(ei Wilson) yet still he was 4th in the NCAA in rushing yards. VT runs the ball, plays defense and special teams. Thats what they do there. Of all the runningbacks in the nation, I would argue only Richardson was specifically gameplanned against more than Wilson. Yet he still racked up yards.

I also had a problem with people saying he likes to bounce it outside too often, which was the major knock on him. I watch a lot of ACC football and I think you will agree with after watching his highlights closely. He doesnt often bounce them outside, Virginia tech designs the run plays to go outside. There is a big difference. Look at the seal block on the end of the los, look at the pullers going wide. The offtackle/ outside run is the most used play in that offense. When asked to run up the middle Wilson did very well. The problem is, they didnt ask him to do it much. It can be a frustrating offense to watch because of that.

I would not have been upset if we had taken Martin, because he is good too. But I have really liked Wilson since about half way through the 2011 season when his leading the NCAA in rushing(at the time) led me to take a closer look at him.

Lastly, the reason I specifically liked Wilson for us is because of his yards after contact. For those who dont know, he was tops in the NCAA in that category. Last year, we flat our stunk on short yardage running plays. This has a lot to do with our line, but it also had to do with our short yardage back(Jacobs) not performing like he used to(although he improved in the playoffs). No back coming out this year explodes into the hole harder than Wilson. An 11 foot broad jump and a 41 inch vertical translate to explosion, and thats what you want on 3rd and 1.

Many on these boards seem shocked and even angry that we had Wilson rated above Martin as Reese said. The fact is we were not alone. Feel free checking out what Walterfootball.com (http://walterfootball.com/combine2012stock3.php) said about Wilson's stock after the combine. Here is a quote:

"<font size="2">No running back was more impressive than David Wilson in Indianapolis. He blew up the Combine for a number of reasons:

First, Wilson's measurables were off the charts. He notched a 4.40 40, a
41-inch vertical and an 11-foot broad jump. Second, Wilson was terrific
in the receiving drills. He caught 22 balls as a junior in 2011, so his
pass-catching ability didn't appear to be the strength of his game. If
his Combine performance is any indication, that's definitely not the
case, and he can be a quality receiving running back as a professional. </font> <font size="2">

Last, it's worth noting that NFL teams were highly impressed with Wilson
in the interviews. Wilson reportedly was the only prospect to show up
in a suit (Armani, to boot) to all of his meetings, while most of his
peers wore sweats. He was a professional both on and off the field this
weekend, which could help him be the second running back off the board
in the 2012 NFL draft"
</font>

redbeardxxv
04-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Wilson instantly improves our run game, RR will fill in MM's spot. They exist in a symbiotic relationship. Our passing game will prosper on the emergence of a run, and vice-versa. Eli is smiling right now.

Firenugget
04-29-2012, 07:20 AM
I like Hosley but wonder about maturity. David Wilson is my favorite if I had to pick one. All in all I like all of them and feel we had a very good draft.

titwio
04-29-2012, 09:35 AM
I loved the Wilson pick. The guy is just a specimen...He looks like a gymnast in some of his runs and he takes shots and bounces up like a rubber ball...It's freakishly amazing. Love everything he brings...great attitude, hard worker, sense of humor, leadership...all round a great locker room guy as well as being driven on the field.

Already looking to forward to the Bradshaw/Wilson combo....these boys are going to be a blast together.

Shockeystays08
04-29-2012, 10:03 AM
*Mines been Jayron Hosely..** I also really like the Mosely and McCants picks.. I'm not a huge fan of RDs 1or2, mainly because of value with Wilson, and as for Randle, i just don't see him as a diffrence maker, but more just a guy type...* Jayron is my favorite pick I like Jayron also... As far as randle goes, fortunately we don't need him to be a difference maker......hes going to compete for the 3rd spot & being a 1st round talent at the 3rd WR spot, I'd say thats pretty damn good...** See, i think if your drafting a WR in the
2nd rd, then hes gotta be pretty good, and at least capable of
being the "GUY"..* I could be dead wrong, but i don't see it with
Randle... I see more of another LSU WR* Dud type.. He kinda
reminds me of Brandon Lafell alittle bit.. Outta all the picks, i
probably dislike the Randle pick the most... So many talented
WR's out there, u could of snatched Juron Criner with your last
pick of RD 4 or Marvin McNutt or someone like that, who in my
opinion, are not only way more productive players, but similar in
measurables, speed, and route running..

Have to agree with you. Randle does zero for me. I have seen a great deal of him and have never been impressed. Find some highlights where he beat a good DB ,you can't! Any one handed highlight grabs like Hicks and Jernigan? Not that I have seen. Highlights where he laid out and made a great grab? Not that I have seen! Poor combine, 9 WR taken b4 him. Trouble getting separation, questionable game speed! You comparison to Lafell is a good one. He will make a catch or 2 sure but a big play guy like Manningham? Don't see it. Childs and Adams from Arkansas showed me more in SEC games than Randle ever did. The 2 VT picks and Mosely are all I can have a good feeling about tho . Mcants could be good in the long run. Last but not least, granted LSU QB are not great but Randle still could not shake Kirkpatrick in not just the National Championship games as Reese refers but either game vs Alabama. So the QB play is a mute point. Randle stayed covered like a blanket.

Diamondring
04-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Most of the guys in the draft forums will tell you I have been on the Wilson bandwagon for months. I just dont think you can fake his production. Every team he faced in college knew the key to stopping Virginia Tech was to stop their run game(ei Wilson) yet still he was 4th in the NCAA in rushing yards.* VT runs the ball, plays defense and special teams. Thats what they do there. Of all the runningbacks in the nation, I would argue only Richardson was specifically gameplanned against more than Wilson. Yet he still racked up yards.

I also had a problem with people saying he likes to bounce it outside too often, which was the major knock on him. I watch a lot of ACC football and I think you will agree with after watching his highlights closely. He doesnt often bounce them outside, Virginia tech designs the run plays to go outside. There is a big difference.* Look at the seal block on the end of the los, look at the pullers going wide. The offtackle/ outside run is the most used play in that offense. When asked to run up the middle Wilson did very well. The problem is, they didnt ask him to do it much. It can be a frustrating offense to watch because of that.

I would not have been upset if we had taken Martin, because he is good too. But I have really liked Wilson since about half way through the 2011 season when his leading the NCAA in rushing(at the time) led me to take a closer look at him.

Lastly, the reason I specifically liked Wilson for us is because of his yards after contact. For those who dont know, he was tops in the NCAA in that category. Last year, we flat our stunk on short yardage running plays. This has a lot to do with our line, but it also had to do with our short yardage back(Jacobs) not performing like he used to(although he improved in the playoffs). No back coming out this year explodes into the hole harder than Wilson. An 11 foot broad jump and a 41 inch vertical translate to explosion, and thats what you want on 3rd and 1.

Many on these boards seem shocked and even angry that we had Wilson rated above Martin as Reese said. The fact is we were not alone. Feel free checking out what Walterfootball.com (http://walterfootball.com/combine2012stock3.php) said about Wilson's stock after the combine. Here is a quote:

"<font size="2">No running back was more impressive than David Wilson in Indianapolis. He blew up the Combine for a number of reasons:

case, and he can be a quality receiving running back as a professional. </font> <font size="2">

in the 2012 NFL draft"
</font>Very good post. I want to talk about play design. There are plays that are designed against zone defenses. When I read one post by one poster who said screens does not work against zone defense, I was thinking, " Does that guy know that plays can be designed for zones defenses?" What he saids shows that he doesn't know that much about play design.

In the past, I made a post about using 4 and some 5 wr sets more and I got teased by a lot of know it all posters. Well I have looked at a lot of plays and coppied off of a lot of them so I know that there is nothing wrong with using more 4 wr sets. Those plays I coppied are even made against certain defenses. Long as you have the personel to any set, that set should have a big chance to succeed.

Even when a so so O-line, plays can be designed for the qb to get rid of the ball faster than he wants to and still there is no chance that the ball would be intercepted because there are rules to the game. Some of those rules can help the qb get ird of the ball if something goes wrong and still be able to not give the defenders a chance to get the ball. A play can have a receiver go to the sidelines and stay there and when or if the qb has troubles, he can throw the ball out of bounce near where the receiver is. A play can also have a rb or te be near the rb to help with the blocking and if the qb has troubles, he can throw the ball to that rb's or te's feet so the refs can't call intentional grounding.

I'm glad you talked about play design because that is very important and it helps to get rid of that execution thing like every play will work if executed propperly. A lot of times a play can't be executed because it is not the right one and the offense may not have the right personel for that play to be successful.

gumby742
04-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Probably Randle, mainly because it seems like he can step in a play right away - pretty good for a late 2nd round pick.

I like Hosely also, but he's going to be sitting behind Prince, Webster, and Thomas. I can see him being the heir apparent to Webster and his enormous salary.

chasjay
04-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Personal favorite was Randle, then Hosley. No complaints with any of them, though.

Bohemian
04-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Considering that RB is the position which is easiest for college players to translate to the league, due its heavy reliance on instinct play, I have to say that I am really looking forward to seeing Wilson play. I am also excited about Randle and Robinson. Robinson is a really intriguing pick, as it reminds me of when we drafted Osi, and how raw Osi was.

Hosley is another interesting pick, who seems that at the very least could be a monster on special teams. And we know how essential special teams play was to our championship run.

I think that it was a good draft overall, considering that we did not have grave holes to fill. The team can still go after a free agent or two if needed.

Breezely
04-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Most of the guys in the draft forums will tell you I have been on the Wilson bandwagon for months. I just dont think you can fake his production. Every team he faced in college knew the key to stopping Virginia Tech was to stop their run game(ei Wilson) yet still he was 4th in the NCAA in rushing yards.* VT runs the ball, plays defense and special teams. Thats what they do there. Of all the runningbacks in the nation, I would argue only Richardson was specifically gameplanned against more than Wilson. Yet he still racked up yards.

I also had a problem with people saying he likes to bounce it outside too often, which was the major knock on him. I watch a lot of ACC football and I think you will agree with after watching his highlights closely. He doesnt often bounce them outside, Virginia tech designs the run plays to go outside. There is a big difference.* Look at the seal block on the end of the los, look at the pullers going wide. The offtackle/ outside run is the most used play in that offense. When asked to run up the middle Wilson did very well. The problem is, they didnt ask him to do it much. It can be a frustrating offense to watch because of that.

in the 2012 NFL draft"
</font>

I smell a helluva lot of screens!!!!!!

Axels15
04-29-2012, 12:41 PM
As soon as I heard how many yards after contact Wilson has, he became my top pick

BigBlue1971
04-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Randle is my favorite pick!</P>

i think he will benefit greatly from the presence of Nicks and Cruz.</P>

he also presents a good target for Eli in the <FONT color=#ff0000>green </FONT>zone!</P>

jakegibbs
04-29-2012, 06:38 PM
*Mines been Jayron Hosely..** I also really like the Mosely and McCants picks.. I'm not a huge fan of RDs 1or2, mainly because of value with Wilson, and as for Randle, i just don't see him as a diffrence maker, but more just a guy type...* Jayron is my favorite pick I like Jayron also... As far as randle goes, fortunately we don't need him to be a difference maker......hes going to compete for the 3rd spot & being a 1st round talent at the 3rd WR spot, I'd say thats pretty damn good...** See, i think if your drafting a WR in the 2nd rd, then hes gotta be pretty good, and at least capable of being the "GUY"..* I could be dead wrong, but i don't see it with Randle... I see more of another LSU WR* Dud type.. He kinda reminds me of Brandon Lafell alittle bit.. Outta all the picks, i probably dislike the Randle pick the most... So many talented WR's out there, u could of snatched Juron Criner with your last pick of RD 4 or Marvin McNutt or someone like that, who in my opinion, are not only way more productive players, but similar in measurables, speed, and route running..

I hope you're wrong about Randle but if history repeats itself you'll be right. Not many stud WRs from LSU in the NFL. Doom dispair & agony on me........

Duckdownman
04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Favorite pick is wilson because i absolutely love his game but id have to say I'm most intrigued to see what Pope can do with Adrien Wilson.

ShakeNBake
04-29-2012, 07:26 PM
I like Hosley, if the guy develops our secondary will be ridiculous and he is great value for a 3rd rounder.

Drez
04-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Probably Randle, mainly because it seems like he can step in a play right away - pretty good for a late 2nd round pick.

I like Hosely also, but he's going to be sitting behind Prince, Webster, and Thomas. I can see him being the heir apparent to Webster and his enormous salary.
Webster's salary isn't that enormous considering how much other top tier CBs make.

G-ManSB42
04-29-2012, 07:42 PM
I have to say Randle because when Hixon goes down he'll be ready. I feel like Hixon be the best in the 3rd spot but 2 ACLs hard to come back from. JJ and Barden idk. I lkie Wilson pick up but I do think Ware will when out at 2nd RB spot but Wilson will still have a great especially in the return game. In through injuries might get his shot. Like the Nickel Back and he does look like he can handle his biz better than Prince. T2 snaps might be limited due to the injury.

G-ManSB42
04-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Probably Randle, mainly because it seems like he can step in a play right away - pretty good for a late 2nd round pick. I like Hosely also, but he's going to be sitting behind Prince, Webster, and Thomas. I can see him being the heir apparent to Webster and his enormous salary.
Webster's salary isn't that enormous considering how much other top tier CBs make.
</P>

Webster deserves every damn penny</P>

gumby742
04-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Still enormous. If Hosely can step in and make us forget all about Webster a couple years from now, it'll be huge. I'm a big webster fan mind you. Just speaking financially.

Tommy_Ribs
04-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Randle - LSU - big time size, and he as very good speed for his size.

With the rule changes the way they are now, big WRs will thrive.

The GIANTs will have one of the biggest, and most talented group of WRs in the league.

Drez
04-29-2012, 08:25 PM

Still enormous. If Hosely can step in and make us forget all about Webster a couple years from now, it'll be huge. I'm a big webster fan mind you. Just speaking financially.

Not really. I think he isn't getting $6.5m this year and $7m next year. That really isn't enormous for what he brings to the table.

By the time Hosley would be stepping in making us forget about Webster, he'll be asking for similar money.

NYGRealityCheck
04-29-2012, 08:45 PM

Not really. I think he isn't getting $6.5m this year and $7m next year. That really isn't enormous for what he brings to the table.

By the time Hosley would be stepping in making us forget about Webster, he'll be asking for similar money.

Way too early for Hosley-Webster competition lol.. We know for sure Webster can handle NFL WRs. Hosely, we don't know yet. That's always the big challenge to any CB just coming out of college. They're no longer playing against college WRs and they will need to do better to deal with NFL WRs. Even Patrick Peterson goes through this. Highly-touted but gets burned by Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith (Panthers), AJ Green, etc.. just to name a few...

egyptian420
04-29-2012, 08:46 PM
I like Hosley, if the guy develops our secondary will be ridiculous and he is great value for a 3rd rounder.

me too...I have a feeling this kid will turn out to be a monster

he's always getting his hands on receivers and gets "fiesty" like Reese said, I could see him turning into a Finnegan-type CB

gumby742
04-29-2012, 08:54 PM

I think webster is a free agent in a couple years. So we should have at least 2-3 years out of Hosley. But lol, we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves.

Webster is definitely worth his salary, but anytime you can not resign someone and replace him with a player that makes many times less. It's definitely a win for you.

BeatYale
04-29-2012, 08:54 PM
The top 3 picks. I think Randle is going to surprise a lot of people. Hopefully he gets together with Eli to play some catch similar to what Cruz did last off season to get up to speed with what's expected on the field.

Drez
04-29-2012, 09:05 PM

I think webster is a free agent in a couple years. So we should have at least 2-3 years out of Hosley. But lol, we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves.

Webster is definitely worth his salary, but anytime you can not resign someone and replace him with a player that makes many times less. It's definitely a win for you.
I think his contract is up after 2013, but depending on how he's doing, I can see him getting an extension. Maybe nothing too long, but if during the 2013 season the FO thinks we can get another 2-3 years of high production from him, I can see them extending him that long... Saying the price tag is right.

embeshAtYa
04-29-2012, 10:12 PM
lsu wr

zigwontdieNYG
04-30-2012, 03:38 AM
KUHHHHNNNNN SMASSSSHHHHH

BlueBlooded1979
04-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Randle. First round value along with an ideal "Y" receiver. The only knock on this kid is that he is still developing as a player.

I also love the situation this kid fell into. No pressure to be a #1 (or #2 for that matter) and he seems to be a good fit to the "no divas" WR group we have. Playing with a better QB is going to be huge for this kid and should bring out the best in him. He may be too raw to win the #3 job out of camp but I would be surprised if he didn't take the job by week 5.