PDA

View Full Version : Post Draft Thoughts

prantzer
04-28-2012, 08:38 PM
A few post-draft thoughts for you to comment on:

1. Giants must have a great deal of confidence in their defense -- felt secure enough to dedicate top 2 picks to an offense that was very productive this year.

2. Giants must love David Wilson -- the fact that they left Fleener on the board, notwithtstanding the consensus view he was the best TE in the draft, says alot.

3. Reuben Randle and Jayron Hosley may both be true heists by the NYG.

4. Jets are brain dead -- take the biggest head case in round 1, then give up multiple picks for a receiver who was mocked similar to Randle. Rex Ryan and Tannenbaum will be gone after this season.

5. NFC East will be brutal this year -- which I think is great. Eagles will go at least 11 and 5, Redskins at least 9 and 7.

jparmer
04-28-2012, 08:47 PM
First we have defensive draft picks from last year that didn't get a chance to contribute (austin) or contributed very little (prince). Add that to guys coming back from injury like Thomas and free agents we signed/traded for, I'd say our defense is looking good.

Second, though I would've liked fleener he didn't fit the tight end mold the giants look for. Being receiving and blocking threat. He had the recieving but not the blocking. According to reports anyway.

We filled what we lost wilson for jacobs, Randle for Manningham, hosley for ross. We picked up some Oline depth, another te and a dt.

I'm extremely happy with our draft! Can't wait for training camp

NewYorkSwagg
04-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Thought we had a great draft we filled all our needs with great players. But I don't think the last 2 picks will make the team tho.

prantzer
04-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Like the fact that unlike in 2009 after the last SB win, where we pretty much sat tight with the squad, this time we had the cahunas to cut loose the guys who either were not that productve (Ross and Jacobs) or had flashes but couldn't be relied on (Manningham), and replaced them with what appears to be real talent and youth (picks 1, 2 and 3).

Given the parity in the NFL, we've done the right thing. This year's going to be fascinating to watch unfold.

paul007
04-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Giants draft was very good. I like 5 of our picks.
Rounds 1-3 RB,WR, CB, Two OTs Mosley and McCants are all very good picks.

I'm not too familiar with the TE we picked?

river555
04-28-2012, 11:54 PM
i'd say draft was good but not great. The last 2 picks will not make the team. We already have blocking TE's, not sure why we didnt draft a receiving TE instead of another blocker like Robinson. Also would have liked a DE to replace Tollefson.

Bohemian
04-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Giants draft was very good. I like 5 of our picks.
Rounds 1-3 RB,WR, CB, Two OTs Mosley and McCants are all very good picks.

I'm not too familiar with the TE we picked?

I have to say that i liked the TE as well. The one that I don't have a clue about is the last pick.

JJC7301
04-29-2012, 12:28 AM
First we have defensive draft picks from last year that didn't get a chance to contribute (austin) or contributed very little (prince). Add that to guys coming back from injury like Thomas and free agents we signed/traded for, I'd say our defense is looking good.

Second, though I would've liked fleener he didn't fit the tight end mold the giants look for. Being receiving and blocking threat. He had the recieving but not the blocking. According to reports anyway.

We filled what we lost wilson for jacobs, Randle for Manningham, hosley for ross. We picked up some Oline depth, another te and a dt.

I'm extremely happy with our draft! Can't wait for training camp
+1.

NJGIANTinNC
04-29-2012, 12:50 AM
The only pick I was able to guess correctly was Double R.

not anything like i thought would happen-

most likely a good thing.

-- even the redskins think RGlll will bust-- hahaha

--- A punter in the 3rd?

slipknottin
04-29-2012, 12:55 AM
I enjoyed seeing the Jets take a WR who only runs vertical routes, because neither of their QBs has the arm to throw deep.

Jags taking a punter in the 3rd was a fantastic, glad someone did something idiotic.

My bold prediction is that at some point Cousins will be starting over a healthy RG3.

I really like Hosley, but the pick truly shocked me. Completely unlike a typical giants DB, hes 5'10 180, where they only ever draft 6'+ 200 lb+ guys. But Hosley plays like hes 6' 200+ with how physical he is, and he does have a wonderful wingspan, so maybe his size isnt a huge concern, still would love to see him get up to 190 at least

I hope David Wilson is an absolute terror on the field, I would love to see him be so good the fans start bringing little plastic rabbits to the game and throwing them on the field after the game ends. (hell have the giants charge $2 per plastic rabbit at the gates and donate the money to charity)

I found it funny how the giants and media were talking about how little production Adrien Robinson had, only 12 catches this year... Meanwhile Beckum's best NFL season he had 13 catches.

JMFP2
04-29-2012, 02:31 AM
First we have defensive draft picks from last year that didn't get a chance to contribute (austin) or contributed very little (prince). Add that to guys coming back from injury like Thomas and free agents we signed/traded for, I'd say our defense is looking good. Second, though I would've liked fleener he didn't fit the tight end mold the giants look for. Being receiving and blocking threat. He had the recieving but not the blocking. According to reports anyway. We filled what we lost wilson for jacobs, Randle for Manningham, hosley for ross. We picked up some Oline depth, another te and a dt. I'm extremely happy with our draft! Can't wait for training camp</P>

Agreed on all your points.</P>

Great draft....World Champs are loaded for next season.</P>

rEaS
04-29-2012, 02:53 AM
its so hard to evaluate WR/TE guys coming from college because their numbers depend SO MUCH on who the qb is..

rueben randle is the best example.. the lsu qb sucked balls.. and most of the time (specially against the bama games) he was running for his life.. so how do you evaluate that against other WRs that had great qbs and played in a pro style offense.. or ones that had such crappy RBs that coach made the team a pass first, run second type of team..

im happy with the picks.. this time of year i always go to http://www.nfl.com/draft/2008 or http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009, and take a look back at our picks, other guys picks, analyst commentaries, etc.. on paper everyone looks good, but a lot of those picks from that draft aren't even playing anymore.. so in reality you never know..

and about the cb we drafted, im sure his wingspan makes up for his height.. in the end it all that matters is playing with intensity and being able to grab that ball at the highest point and his massive wingspan helps him..

Martyr
04-29-2012, 03:26 AM
I think they did well even picking last every round.

fletch842
04-29-2012, 08:47 AM
I'm quite satisfied with the draft, and look forward to seeing the players on the field, especially Wilson.

KATKAVAGE75
04-29-2012, 09:43 AM
I live in Albany, NY & I can't wait for training camp. The competition will be fierce. May the best men make the team. Let's see who wants to play for the defending champs?

jaxnygmen
04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
A Decent draft filling in some needs. Still thinl LB is a concern and I am not high on who we have there.

DelawareGiants
04-29-2012, 11:11 AM
I feel good about our LB'er core- Kiwi, Boley, Rivers plus all the young guys. We tend to play 2 LB'ers quite a bit with extra Safety so I am more concerned about the safety role and having enough guys healthy there.

I think Kiwi will help give us depth at DE. Once we got past the 3rd round- I was sure that Osi would be a Giant for 2012. When the Colts took the 2nd TE Allen- I thought they might have been working on a deal involving Osi for the Allen pick and were working out details before it was announced but that was not the case. Kiwi signing a new extension was JR's way of telling Osi- come on man- lets be realistic here.

With the picks- I thought we got a great mix of value and need and probably a higher ratio of need this year vs others. I am excited about our top 4 picks and how much they might contribute this year. The biggies at the end could prove to be solid players with time. Wilson could prove to be the best RB this year if Bradshaw injury bug with foot continues.

Bohemian
04-29-2012, 11:24 AM
It was a really weak draft for defensive players, which seems to have been the trend lately. The giants did well in picking the BPA. I am glad that they landed two impact players, who should be able to significantly impact the team within the next couple of years. Plus, it is great to see that we can have the luxury of picking solid athletes to develop with our mid to late pics. There are no real urgent or hopeless weaknesses with the team to speak of, and there are still free agents to be signed out there.

titwio
04-29-2012, 11:49 AM
So I don't want to start a new thread for this but when are the Giants going to introduce their draft picks?

I'm looking around on all other teams and they've already had introductory presser's for their new players and have given out jersey #'s already...

Anyone got any info on when the Giants are doing this?

titwio
04-29-2012, 01:00 PM
So I don't want to start a new thread for this but when are the Giants going to introduce their draft picks?

I'm looking around on all other teams and they've already had introductory presser's for their new players and have given out jersey #'s already...

Anyone got any info on when the Giants are doing this?

Anyone? C'mon now... what better place to find an answer than on the Giants forum.

egyptian420
04-29-2012, 01:40 PM
I actually like Wilson but I could imagine if we got Martin and the Eagles or someone else in our division landed Wilson, so many on this board would be straight bashing him. The same people that love him right now because he's a Giant lol....the bias is hilarious.

slipknottin
04-29-2012, 01:42 PM
I actually like Wilson but I could imagine if we got Martin and the Eagles or someone else in our division landed Wilson, so many on this board would be straight bashing him. The same people that love him right now because he's a Giant lol....the bias is hilarious.

Or people would be complaining about the eagles getting the more explosive player...

jonnyhaze
04-29-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm a little surprised that Fleener slipped past the first round. I like many others thought he was a possibility for the giants. Now that i think about it maybe he was a slightly overrated. His college production probably had a lot to do with Andrew Luck.

O well...who cares at this point.
David Wilson - Offensive Rookie of the Year !!!
[:P]

giantsfan420
04-29-2012, 02:22 PM

im gonna be honest, leading up to the draft, i was pretty much against taking a rb. i wanted a target for eli like fleener or k.wright, i even said randle would be a good pick...

mayock had richardson as the top rated rb, and for much of the leadup, wilson as the 2nd rated rb. watching clips and doing the occasional fan research into it, u could tell wilson was extremely athletic, agile, and explosive. some of his highlight reels were amazing...
then, martin started to gain attention. i didnt really know why, he doesnt have an elite attribute, but he's very well rounded. my thinking was, if my choice is between martin and any other played worth it at 32, i take any other player than Martin...but he kept on getting more and more attention...

public opinion will always play a part in a persons opinion...i kinda started to see Martin as a more nfl ready back than wilson...but still didnt feel he possessed any trait that makes u go, "we cant pass him up."

i totally understand why JR had wilson as his 2nd ranked back. he has elite burst, agility, and athleticism...in those regards martin isnt even in wilsons league...

then i started to think about upside or ceiling, and to me, wilson is the 1 ranked back in that regard...he hasnt even come close to his peak, whereas a rb like martin, i dont see how he could dramatically improve his game, he's already imo displayed what his game is going to be...

I love Wilson as a compliment to bradshaw, both tough runners but wilson has that 5th gear bradshaw doesnt have...i truly believe wilson is going to be the best back of this class. not on day 1, but over the career...thats why i started to love the pick more and more...wilson, already an extremely talented, quick, explosive runner has a ton of room to improve, and i dont see that with martin or even richardson for that matterm i cant look at those two backs and go "well here's where he can improve dramatically"...maybe that means richarson and martin are better today, but i think wilson, if he can progress the way the giants have done with so many of their players, is going to be a serious serious threat...

so yeah thats my thinking on it. and i love the pick even more bc we were able to get Randle at 63. if we had taken randle round 1, no way would wilson last to 63 imho, not a chance...so, once again, JR works his genius and it might not be clear today, but in a few years i think it will be in your face "wow that was a sick draft class for the giants"...

bigblue5611
04-29-2012, 02:36 PM
i'd say draft was good but not great. The last 2 picks will not make the team. We already have blocking TE's, not sure why we didnt draft a receiving TE instead of another blocker like Robinson. Also would have liked a DE to replace Tollefson.

on the subject of DEs, would you have preferred upshaw(ravens #35)instead of wilson? just askin...