PDA

View Full Version : NFL DRAFT 2012: GIANTS SIGN FORMER RUTGERS' FULLBACK JOE MARTINEK

RoanokeFan
04-28-2012, 11:10 PM
NFL DRAFT 2012: GIANTS SIGN FORMER RUTGERS' FULLBACK JOE MARTINEK (http://www.nj.com/sports/nfldraft/index.ssf/2012/04/nfl_draft_2012_giants_sign_for.html)

"The Giants (http://www.nj.com/giants/) signed 10 undrafted free
agents immediately following the conclusion of the draft and one of them is Rutgers (http://www.nj.com/rutgers/) fullback Joe Martinek, who tweeted
the news. Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross confirmed the signing.
The 6-foot, 224-pounder ran a 4.5 40-yard-dash at Rutgers' pro day after
catching 27 passes for 262 yards and a touchdown in addition to 24 rushes for
123 yards in 2011

"We had him at the local day," Ross said. "Weve been
to tons of Rutgers games. Hes just a gritty, hard-nosed football player. Hes
played fullback, hes played running back, done whatever they asked. He worked
out really well. Can really catch the ball. A guy you can throw in at any
position there in the backfield and hell not miss a beat."</p>

NYGRealityCheck
04-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Some competition for Hynoski.. nice..

FourthAndOne
04-28-2012, 11:32 PM
What does this mean w/ regards to Hynoski? I thought he was progressing well last year.

Any chance the Giants have 2 FBs on the roster, or maybe just use Martinek at RB?

NYGRealityCheck
04-28-2012, 11:36 PM
What does this mean w/ regards to Hynoski? I thought he was progressing well last year.

Any chance the Giants have 2 FBs on the roster, or maybe just use Martinek at RB?

Preseason, competition, not letting some of the players think they got a regular season roster spot in the bag, etc..

DownWitJPP
04-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Martinek is much more than a fullback guys...he holds the record for high school rushing yards in NJ. He's a good ball carrier, can catch out of the backfield and is a good blocker.

Don't be surprised if they keep him over Andre Brown or even Danny Ware

NYGRealityCheck
04-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Martinek is much more than a fullback guys...he holds the record for high school rushing yards in NJ. He's a good ball carrier, can catch out of the backfield and is a good blocker.

if he pulls off a victor-cruz splash type preseason, I won't be surprised either...

tikiandphil
04-29-2012, 01:58 AM

Nice change of pace guy more like Jacobs than our other backs. Interesting to see how he is used in pre-season.

JMFP2
04-29-2012, 02:01 AM
Martinek is much more than a fullback guys...he holds the record for high school rushing yards in NJ. He's a good ball carrier, can catch out of the backfield and is a good blocker. Don't be surprised if they keep him over Andre Brown or even Danny Ware</P>

Always good to have some competition.</P>

JJC7301
04-29-2012, 02:20 AM

He already sounds more talented than Ware and Brown. I hope that neither are on the team this year. Martinek sounds like he would have some very good value and could maybe play ST.

O.C. Giant Fan
04-29-2012, 02:33 AM
Just saw his Youtube highlight reel.........if he shows any glimpses of the speed, hands or blocking I viewed during the preseason Brown, Ware, and possibly Hynoski are in trouble......

BlueSanta
04-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Just saw his Youtube highlight reel.........if he shows any glimpses of the speed, hands or blocking I viewed during the preseason Brown, Ware, and possibly Hynoski are in trouble......

1st off, let me say how refreshing it is to see a highlight film where a kid is shown in pass protection like that.

I do think Hynoski is at risk.Other than that I would argue Pascoe is in trouble and possibly Beckum. Sure, this kid isnt gonna line up at TE. But he could make the team as a RB/H-Back and serve as a backup FB. Thats what we did with Droughns in 2007. People forget, Pascoe is our 2nd string Fullback, that is his real value to this team. We have to have a 2nd guy who can play that position in a pinch, even if it is a h-back lead blocker.It is a staple of our offense.

If you take away Pascoe as a backup FB I am not sure he is on this team. I beleive I read Pascoe led the NFL in holding penalties per snap last year. He really is not a very good TE at all and struggles a lot with seal blocks. Maybe this is why we have not resigned him yet.

We will likely keep 3 TEs on the roster. Bennett is a lock. That leaves Robinson, Beckum( he said he would be ready), and Pascoe to fight over the 2nd and 3rd spots. However, Ballard may enter the mix too at some point. So maybe we hold 2 TEs if it looks like Ballard will be healthy in time to contribute meaningful playtime.

Considering Beckum isnt really a TE but rather a H-back, I do not see why this Joe Martinek, who looks very good as a reciever and particularly good as a pass protector, cant do at least as well as Beckum as a reciever and would be an upgrade in blocking. And, if Joe does make the team, it means we no longer need to count on Pascoe as a 2nd string FB. So I think either or possibly both Beckum and Pascoe might he in trouble(assuming we even resign pascoe to begin with, which at this point is only going to happen for the league minimum.)

Firenugget
04-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Goal line RB?

sodbuster
04-29-2012, 11:36 AM
brown is gone .and DJ Ware will be looking over his shoulder. i say this this kid makes the team. i will be rooting for him all the way..

slipknottin
04-29-2012, 11:50 AM
At 6' 224, he isnt a FB, H-back, or TE.

Hes a HB.

Pa1jintfan
04-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Guys, I'm the biggest Hynoski fan ever, since high school. But this guy martinek is something special. He will definitely make this team. He has GIANTS written all over him. With a side of Peyton hills on crack. This guy is a beast. I want my guy Henry to grow as our feature fullback. But this martinek has a spot on this team

BlueSanta
04-29-2012, 05:12 PM

Hes a HB.Rueben Droughns was 6'0 220 and was our backup fullback.

We have to carry a guy who can play backup FB in a pinch, and while I agree Joes primary position is a HB in the NFL, his versatility is why he is threat to Pascoe, who I think was only on this team because he could play 3 different positions, even if he played them at a mediocre level.

I think the fact that we signed this kid prior to resigning Pascoe pretty much confirms my statement.

DownWitJPP
04-29-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't think we picked him up to play fullback to be honest with you guys. maybe as a backup in case Hynoski gets hurt. Hes just a good solid football player who is really versatile, would rather keep him than Pascoe

slipknottin
04-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Rueben Droughns was 6'0 220 and was our backup fullback.

We have to carry a guy who can play backup FB in a pinch, and while I agree Joes primary position is a HB in the NFL, his versatility* is why he is threat to Pascoe, who I think was only on this team because he could play 3 different positions, even if he played them at a mediocre level.

I think the fact that we signed this kid prior to resigning Pascoe pretty much confirms my statement.

Pascoe is a EFRA, he has been given a tender offer. I dont think a 224 pound back is going to be anything but a HB.

Gmen2005
04-29-2012, 06:34 PM
I like Martinek, the Rutgers offensive line was horrible when he was playing there so he could surprise people.

Firenugget
04-29-2012, 06:48 PM
After watching a bit of him...I'm impressed. His pass blocking seems outstanding, plays smart and when he gets the ball he's not really "rumblin n bumblin" like you would expect from a FB. While I'm by no means going to claim he'll be the same caliber player, but watching him, he reminds me of Mike Alstott. Maybe a smaller, faster/better recieving Mike Alstott... Here's a vid if nobody has seen him-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87EG1RgZBo

BlueSanta
04-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Rueben Droughns was 6'0 220 and was our backup fullback.

We have to carry a guy who can play backup FB in a pinch, and while I agree Joes primary position is a HB in the NFL, his versatility is why he is threat to Pascoe, who I think was only on this team because he could play 3 different positions, even if he played them at a mediocre level.

Pascoe is a EFRA, he has been given a tender offer. I dont think a 224 pound back is going to be anything but a HB.

Well again, we did it before with droughns. He would be a Hb and also our backup FB if Hynoski gets hurt. This Offense doesnt function without a fullback. He would be exactly what Droughns was to us. A 3rd+ string HB and a 2nd string FB.

Who knows what will happen, but if Robinson is to make the team, then either Pascoe or Beckum wont. If this kid Martinek shows he can play HB in this league, then his ability to also serve as the backup FB will certainly make Pascoe less valuable. I do not see Hynoski in much danger.

Out of Exile
04-29-2012, 07:32 PM
As a Rutgers student, I am stoked he got picked up by the GMEN.

JJC7301
04-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Guys, I'm the biggest Hynoski fan ever, since high school. But this guy martinek is something special. He will definitely make this team. He has GIANTS written all over him. With a side of Peyton hills on crack. This guy is a beast. I want my guy Henry to grow as our feature fullback. But this martinek has a spot on this team
I like and am very comfortable with Hynoski and Pascoe, but competition is competition. Bring the kid in and see what he can do.

DefenseWins
04-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Big RU fan here...

I would be shocked if he made the team. Too slow to play running back in the NFL, and not big enough/not enough experience to play fullback in the NFL.

With that said, prove me wrong kid!

nygsb42champs
04-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Competition for Hynoski. We will only carry 1 FB.

sg92
04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
I wonder if he's one of those guys who always outplays what the numbers would say. Guys with really good instinct for the game have done well in the past, even when not the fastest/biggest/strongest.

I like this kid, and would not be surprised if he makes the team on special teams/backup FB.

buddy33
04-30-2012, 05:46 PM
I hint he makes the team because there are a couple of guys that he moves much better than while he can also block and catch.

FroZeNx31x
04-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Wow he looks great!
Looks just as fast, or even faster than Jacobs at full speed. I think he will make the roster and we will make him a True RB,

C1010
04-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Is it possible that Pascoe's job is at risk? I just ask because he is a backup TE/FB.

slipknottin
04-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Lets put it this way.

Hynoski 6'1 266 pounds
Pascoe 6'5 285

Martenik 6'0 225

Unless he gains 50 pounds this offseason, or the giants decide they no longer want their FBs or TEs to block, he is not taking a FB or TEs job.

King Sully
04-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Lets put it this way.

Hynoski 6'1 266 pounds
Pascoe 6'5 285

Martenik 6'0 225

Unless he gains 50 pounds this offseason, or the giants decide they no longer want their FBs or TEs to block, he is not taking a FB or TEs job.

you're right, i think he was brought in as competition for ware/brown

BlueSanta
04-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Lets put it this way.

Hynoski 6'1 266 pounds
Pascoe 6'5 285

Martenik 6'0 225

Lets put it this way.

We actually traded for Ruben Droughns. He was a HB on this team for 2 years and also served as the backup fullback

Ruben Droughns 6'0 220 poinds

Joe Martinek 6' 224 lbs.

You have opinion on your side, I have history on mine.

Let me reiterate, I do not think they brought him in to be a starting FB, with that I agree. But, I do think his positional versatility is exactly why he was brought in. We have to have a guy on the roster who can play FB in a pinch in case Hynoski gets hurt. If it isnt Pascoe, it will be this kid.

slipknottin
04-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Lets put it this way.

We actually traded for Ruben Droughns.

Droughns was brought in to play HB. End of story.

DJ Ware is the same size as Martinek, does that mean DJ Ware is a threat to Hynoski's or Pacoes jobs too? Im sure DJ Ware could be a "backup FB" too.

BlueSanta
04-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Lets put it this way.

We actually traded for Ruben Droughns.

Droughns was brought in to play HB. End of story.

So your saying he wasnt our backup fb and didnt actually play some Fb for us?

Positional versatility adds value, end of story

slipknottin
04-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Pascoe has more versatility than Martinek.

Pascoe can actually play TE and FB.

Martinek can do what exactly? Be a backup HB and a poor FB? Oh yay.

BlueSanta
04-30-2012, 07:46 PM

Pascoe has more versatility than Martinek.

Pascoe can actually play TE and FB.

I wasnt comparing them, merely talkings skillset and saying why they likely brought him in, because positional versatility matters. Im not saying he is better than Pascoe, nor am I saying he wil ldefinitely take his spot. But thank you for proving my point.

Truth is that Pascoe is in a battle for his position this year. We have Beckum returning (so he says) before the season. We have Bennett who is a lock. We have our 4th round pick Robinson. We have Pascoe. And lastly, we might have Ballard returning as well. Thats 5 guys competing for 3 likely spots. In reality it is 4 guys competing for 2 because Bennett isn't going anywhere.

If Martinek does ok as a HB during camp, it then makes Pascoe that much more expendible because Joe can be our backup FB if needed, a job that Pascoe has had for some time and likely has helped keep Bear on this roster.

nevada11
04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
I agree. Martinek's versatility is a plus. Pascoe can't play RB and he is an AWFUL blocker

Have you watched him slipknottin? He is just terrible. There is a reason why the giants cut him pre 2010 despite it would badly hurt their TE depth

buddy33
04-30-2012, 09:38 PM
What ever his size is, Martinek can block and he is faster than those guys. I'm not ready to dismiss anyone who helped win a Super Bowl, but Jersey Joe, as they call him, is going to surprise people.

Neverend
04-30-2012, 11:37 PM

Yeah, I'm excited. Should push hynoski

sg92
05-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Special teams will be his place initially if he makes the team.

rainierjef
05-01-2012, 03:01 AM
he runs a 4.45-4.50 / 1.5 10 yd dash. can catch out of the backfield hes a HB not a FB he will absolutely get mauled with his size at FB. he will most likely challenge for the 4th RB spot and i hope he wins i've sort of given up on ware.

ru_gmen55
05-01-2012, 05:12 AM
Weird...he's been in my sig for a couple of years now...he's a tough dude, and it seems like he works hard. Glad to see he's getting a shot, even happier it's with the Gmen. Best of luck to him.

nevada11
05-13-2012, 10:37 PM
he runs a 4.45-4.50 / 1.5 10 yd dash. can catch out of the backfield hes a HB not a FB he will absolutely get mauled with his size at FB. he will most likely challenge for the 4th RB spot and i hope he wins i've sort of given up on ware.

where did you read he runs a 4.4?

mainegiantsfan
05-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Jacobs was 260 lbs. He wasn't a HB, or FB in my eyes. Size is not always the main criteria. Jacobs was terrible on short yardage. With this guys motor, and speed, he will at least be a perfect short yardage man. Aside from that, this guy will be better than Ware or Brown based on what I've seen. I'd put Ware and Brown on the practice squad or cut them. Neither are Pro quality.

mainegiantsfan
05-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Goal line RB?
Agreed.

thomsoad
05-14-2012, 09:44 AM

Yeah, I'm excited. Should push hynoski

Hynoski is 266 lbs. Martinek is 220 lbs....Martinek aint pushin ***. Martinek will be competing but it sure as heII aint gonna be against Hynoski. Personally the idea of a 220 lb FB is laughable...and scary.

BlueSanta
05-14-2012, 12:51 PM
I love how a couple weeks ago, in this very thread I argued Joe's positional versatility was why we brought him and several of you disagreed with me arguing he is onlya hb in this league.

So in light of Gilbride's most recent statement about Joe :

" Gilbride said he projects the former tailback as a <u>fullback</u>,
though he maintained Martinek brings <u>versatility</u> to the table. </p>

"That fullback position is so versatile depending on who it is that's
playing," Gilbride said. "But if he ever became the fullback, I think you would
probably expand the movement in terms of taking him out of the backfield and
putting him into that <u>detached position that sometimes the tight ends will go to</u>
and see if he can catch the ball and do some things."</p>

</p>

It appears some people have some crow to eat...
</p>

</p>

Toadofsteel
05-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I hope Martinek makes the team. That said, Hynoski will be our starting FB unless Martinek can do this:

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.3424089.1325550017!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.JPG

slipknottin
05-14-2012, 05:17 PM
detached position that sometimes the tight ends will go to[/b]</u>
and see if he can catch the ball and do some things."</p>

</p>

It appears some people have some crow to eat...
</p>

</p>

He is more of a threat to DJ Ware than Hynoski.

a 3rd down FB, where he can catch the ball and motion out wide. Hes never going to be that I-formation FB that moves LBs out of the hole

And thats not really the role Pascoe plays either, Pascoe is much more of just a blocker, he isnt the receiving threat, but Martinek is not the blocker Pascoe is, either

BlueSanta
05-14-2012, 06:11 PM
He is more of a threat to DJ Ware than Hynoski.

a 3rd down FB, where he can catch the ball and motion out wide. Hes never going to be that I-formation FB that moves LBs out of the hole

And thats not really the role Pascoe plays either, Pascoe is much more of just a blocker, he isnt the receiving threat, but Martinek is not the blocker Pascoe is, either

Well again,I do not think he is a threat to Hynoski but I have repeatedly said his versatility as well as his ability to play backup FB does add value. This is a point your argued earlier.

<u>You:</u>

Hes a HB.

I dont think a 224 pound back is going to be anything but a HB.

<u>Me:</u>

I do think his positional versatility is
exactly why he was brought in. We have to have a guy on the roster who
can play FB in a pinch in case Hynoski gets hurt.

Gilbride's comments since these statement comfirm exactly what I was saying.

"Gilbride said he <u>projects the former tailback as a fullback</u>,
though he maintained Martinek brings versatility to the table."

And

"That fullback position is so versatile depending on who it is that's
playing," Gilbride said. "But if he ever became the fullback, I think you would
putting him into that <u>detached position that sometimes the tight ends will go to</u>"

I still don't think he is taking Hynoski's job as the primary FB, I have remained constant on that. But, in every point you have debated with me, Gilbride has confirmed everything I said and also kind of dismantled everything you based you arguments on.

slipknottin
05-14-2012, 06:56 PM
But, in every point you have debated with me, Gilbride has confirmed everything I said and also kind of dismantled everything you based you arguments on.

No, not really. The only thing Gilbride confirmed is that they are calling him a fullback.

That he is a fullback they think they can motion out wide isnt a ground breaking development.

BlueSanta
05-14-2012, 07:27 PM
But, in every point you have debated with me, Gilbride has confirmed everything I said and also kind of dismantled everything you based you arguments on.

No, not really. The only thing Gilbride confirmed is that they are calling him a fullback.

That he is a fullback they think they can motion out wide isnt a ground breaking development.

It is for a guy who said he cant do it...

I will just let Gilbride do the talking for me.
You:

Hes a HB.

Gilbride:
"Gilbride said he projects the former tailback as a fullback"

You:

Gilbride:
"Gilbride maintained Martinek brings versatility to the table.
I think you would
putting him into that detached position that sometimes the tight ends will go to.

I dont even need to type, just quote.

slipknottin
05-14-2012, 07:34 PM
You are stuck on the idea that name indicates what a player does.

Like saying Beckum and Ballard were both TEs, so they played the same position.

Or that Bradshaw and Jacobs were both Hbs so they ran all the same plays.

B&RWarrior
05-14-2012, 08:07 PM
A great example is Alstott for the Bucs. He had fullback size, but he was tailback. He ran with power and blocked like a cream puff. FB is a skill set just like any other position. It takes more than height and weight to fill the role.

BlueSanta
05-14-2012, 08:40 PM
You are stuck on the idea that name indicates what a player does.

Like saying Beckum and Ballard were both TEs, so they played the same position.

Or that Bradshaw and Jacobs were both Hbs so they ran all the same plays.

a person who thought like that might be inclined to make a statement like the following

Hes a HB.

GameTime
05-14-2012, 08:56 PM
no way he is competition for Hynoski.......
little light for a FB in the NFL...
he has talent though...