PDA

View Full Version : Are Jernell Jernigan and Travis Beckum in danger of getting cut?

GiantRutgersFan
04-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Both have been disappointments.

these guys offically busts?

gmen0820
04-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Except we are talking someone who has been in the league 1 year, and another who has been in the league for 3 years.

PrideofNY
04-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Travis Beckum, maybe. Most because of the injury.

Jerrell Jernigan is not a bust, and he's not getting cut.

EliTE
04-29-2012, 03:21 PM
jj simply got no time as a rook. beckum will be on pup then we'll decide. WR depth is important as we saw in 2010 when we were signing guys off the street.

juice33s
04-29-2012, 03:22 PM

Well we did just spend a 2nd pick on a WR so its not exactly a ringing endoresment of the teams confidence in his abilities. He was brought in here to play the slot, but with Cruz'z emergence he has been kind of rendered useless

Pa1jintfan
04-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Guys, we are the NY GIANTS. Probably the classiest org. In the league. We give drafted player just about every opportunity to make an impact, they are almost always given 3-4 years to explode into a starting role.. Beckum might be done now, but jernigan has had to chance to prove himself. You watch, he will be dynamite this year, and the only problem we will have is not enough balls for all the pro bowl receivers we have. It's official we have the BEST core in the league. And we are the youngest. Great time to be a giants fan. Exciting talent. And eli is the best QB in football. I trust everything he does.

Diamondring
04-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Both have been disappointments.*

Why you mentioned Jernigan for? Giants usualy will keep a certain amount of wrs on the roster.

gmen0820
04-29-2012, 03:24 PM

Well we did just spend a 2nd pick on a WR so its not exactly a ringing endoresment of the teams confidence in his abilities. He was brought in here to play the slot, but with Cruz'z emergence he has been kind of rendered useless
Randle was easily BPA. I think his selection speaks more to his value, than JJ's.

juice33s
04-29-2012, 03:27 PM

Randle was easily BPA. I think his selection speaks more to his value, than JJ's.
Eitherway he just got bumped down the depth chart. The guy had 0 catches and only avg about 23 yards a Kick return (Which he also might be out of the job with the selections of Wilson and Hosley).

But even going in to the draft The Giants knew 3rd receiver was a need, I don't think anyone ever really considered the 5'8" Jernigan as a viable option on the outside

EliTE
04-29-2012, 03:28 PM

quality depth is not useless. like i said in my previous post, we have learned in the past how important depth is. what if we're hit by a rash of injuries to the position? you can never have enough guys that can step in and catch balls and know the system. otherwise you could be forced to sign guys off the street, like we were in the past when hixon, steve smith and nicks all got hurt.

Bones911
I agree JJ will get more reps and more time to prove himself. it takes a WR 2 to 3 years to blossom.

Beckum on the other hand has been given his chance. He's had his share on injuries but even when he does make it on the field he really has shown very little.

IMO Beckum is a BUST

Neverend

Agreed.

I hope beckum gets cut too

jhamburg

Except that we just lost a quasi-starting WR in Manningham, so that cancels the draft pick out.

BlueBlooded1979
04-29-2012, 03:34 PM
I don't think JJ is a disappointment. Cracking the depth chart with Nicks, Cruz and MM ahead of him would have been tough. Keep in mind that MM wasn't used much until year 2 either.

Beckum never lived up to his draft pick but was a poor fit in this offense.

Zoboomafoo
04-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Swap out Jernigan with Barden and this post makes more sense.Why would they give up so quickly on a 2nd year player that was drafted in the third round?

slipknottin
04-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Beckum yes, JJ no.

JJ was known as a little bit of a project coming in, and he projects best as a slot receiver, where Randle is an outside guy

njsean
04-29-2012, 03:46 PM
I expect Beckum gone. I'd say its more likely Barden goes than JJ, though cutting JJ rings of one of those "whoa" moments on cut down that surprises us.

G-Man67
04-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Beckum is b/c of the injury more than anything ... he actually made a few plays for us late in the season and into the playoffs

IMO, no way Jernigan gets cut ... look how long we kept. Sinorce around

BigBlue1971
04-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Beckum showed some promise last year but could be on the chopping block before the season starts!</P>

Jernigan however will not be cut. this is only his 2nd year and could turn out to be valuable to the Giants!</P>

Barden would be cut before JJ!</P>

slipknottin
04-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Beckum showed some promise last year</p>

</p>

With his 5 catches? :o
</p>

</p>

Toadofsteel
04-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Jernigan isn't going anywhere. God forbid something happened to Cruz... it's nice to have a quality slot receiver already there to sub in. Imagine if Cruz won the Madden cover, for instance...

BigBlue1971
04-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Beckum showed some promise last year</P>

</P>

With his 5 catches? :o
</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

lol. actually i was thinking about his famous catch juke and gallop to the endzone in the regular season game vs the Pack! </P>

id say that shows "some" promise! lol.</P>

Shockeystays08
04-29-2012, 04:48 PM
IMO I think Jernigan will get the first shot to be the 3WR. He should be more dynamic with his better YAC potential. If Jernigan fails to produce Cruz to the slot and Randle gets his shot. If JJ does what he was drafted for Randle becomes insurance for injury to the starting 3 or a free agent loss of Hicks or Cruise. To me JJ 'shighlight reel blows away Randles but I'm gonna trust in Reese as I trust Reese with the Jernigan pick. To say JJ has been a disappointment or a bust after 1 year with noOTA's or minicamp is a bit close minded. Beckum? Not sure that was a good draft pick! Barren I'm thinking is most affected by the RR draft pick.

Shockeystays08
04-29-2012, 04:51 PM
IMO I think Jernigan will get the first shot to be the 3WR. He should be more dynamic with his better YAC potential. If Jernigan fails to produce Cruz to the slot and Randle gets his shot. If JJ does what he was drafted for Randle becomes insurance for injury to the starting 3 or a free agent loss of Hicks or Cruise. To me JJ 'shighlight reel blows away Randles but I'm gonna trust in Reese as I trust Reese with the Jernigan pick. To say JJ has been a disappointment or a bust after 1 year with noOTA's or minicamp is a bit close minded. Beckum? Not sure that was a good draft pick! Barren I'm thinking
is most affected by the RR draft pick.

Man that should say Cruz and Barden.WTH?

myles2424
04-29-2012, 04:52 PM

lost Steve smith, draft jernigan....lose manningham, draft randle......Barden is the one at risk,jernigan will have this year atleast to show some promise...

Drez
04-29-2012, 04:57 PM

Maybe it's more of an indictment of Barden rather than the guy that got drafted 1 year ago. Ever think of that?

To the OP: Beckum probably isn't on the bubble. Ballard probably won't play this season and behind that we just have Bennett (so far a bit of an underachiever himself), Pascoe (nothing special), and a developmental rookie. So, unless there's a big surprise somewhere along the line, I doubt Beckum's cut.

JMFP2
04-29-2012, 05:46 PM
It's a business....I don't think Jernigan or Beckum should think they are safe.</P>

It's too bad Beckum is injured, but if one if it becomes a numbers crunch, the Giants need to make sure they've got the best depth....I could see an injury settlement in his future, depending on roster space.</P>

Jernigan hasn't done anything to really make himself bulletproof, either.</P>

BlueSanta
04-29-2012, 07:40 PM
We can only keep 3. It could only be 2 if they think Ballard will be back in a reasonable time.

Bennett is likely a lock. That leaves Beckum, Pascoe and Robinson to fight it out for the remaining 2 spots. Of those 3, Beckum is the only 1 who cant line up on the end of the line. He also doesnt help much on special teams.

I think he is in real danger and it will come down to either he or Pascoe packing their bags.

Firenugget
04-29-2012, 07:47 PM
I'd think Beckum would be. But seeing how long we let Moss linger around, I'm not sure.

JJ..No way. They're not cutting a draft pick year 2. If any Wr is in danger I'd guess Barden.

Drez
04-29-2012, 07:51 PM
We can only keep 3. It could only be 2 if they think Ballard will be back in a reasonable time.

Bennett is likely a lock. That leaves Beckum, Pascoe and Robinson to fight it out for the remaining 2 spots. Of those 3, Beckum is the only 1 who cant line up on the end of the line. He also doesnt help much on special teams.

I think he is in real danger and it will come down to either he or Pascoe packing their bags.

There's a good possibility that Ballard won't play this year. On top of the ACL, he had microfracture on that knee and all reports say that he probably won't be ready until midseason. If he has any setbacks, he'll probably end up on IR.

Pascoe may be the odd man out, depending on how Martinek works out, as most of Pascoe's value is in the fact he can play the FB spot, too.

I don't know much about Robinson, other than he's a developmental guy, so there's always the chance he ends up on the PS.

hugehomer
04-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Are you serious?

RoanokeFan
04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
I doubt Jernigan is, but Beckum.....they may start him on PUP with Ballard probably still needing IR. I'd rather let Beckum go (injury settlement) if we can depend on Adrien Robinson to be in the rotation.

slipknottin
04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
so there's always the chance he ends up on the PS.

in general the giants try very hard to not draft anyone they think will not make the final roster.

Putting the guy on the practice squad requires waiving them, giving every other team access to them.

Drez
04-29-2012, 07:56 PM
It's a business....I don't think Jernigan or Beckum should think they are safe.</p>

It's too bad Beckum is injured, but if one if it becomes a numbers crunch, the Giants need to make sure they've got the best depth....I could see an injury settlement in his future, depending on roster space.</p>

Jernigan hasn't done anything to really make himself bulletproof, either.</p>
JJ hasn't done anything yet to make himself bulletproof, but Barden has done even less given that he has been here longer. If there's a WR that might be in trouble it could be him.

I also wouldn't feel too safe if I were Hixon, either. Aren't both Wilson and Hosley good returners (Wilson on kickoffs and Hosley on punts) and Hosley also supposed to be a good gunner, too. Maybe the FO is concerned about his knee.

Drez
04-29-2012, 07:58 PM
so there's always the chance he ends up on the PS.

in general the giants try very hard to not draft anyone they think will not make the final roster.

Putting the guy on the practice squad requires waiving them, giving every other team access to them.
Very true. Might be worth the risk with 6th or 7th round guy, but not a 4th.

slipknottin
04-29-2012, 07:58 PM
JJ hasn't done anything yet to make himself bulletproof

yes he has, he got himself drafted in the third round a year ago. untouchable.

Drez
04-29-2012, 07:59 PM

Was more using the quoted posts wording to add extra effect for the Barden portion of the statement.

Axels15
04-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Jernigan?? lol you're hilarious

If anyone's gone, it's barden

RoanokeFan
04-29-2012, 08:04 PM

They will "develop" a high draftee until his rookie contract expires. Look how long they hung in there with Sinorice? It's their philosophy and I would imagine their hating to be proven wrong about their selections because they put so much effort into it.

RoanokeFan
04-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Jernigan?? lol you're hilarious

If anyone's gone, it's barden

I tend to agree with this.

slipknottin
04-29-2012, 08:06 PM
They will "develop" a high draftee until his rookie contract expires.** Look how long they hung in there with Sinorice?* It's their philosophy and I would imagine their hating to be proven wrong about their selections because they put so much effort into it.

Yep, first three rounds guys are untouchable. Sintim another example. 4th round guys get at least 2 seasons.

Drez
04-29-2012, 08:07 PM
They will "develop" a high draftee until his rookie contract expires. Look how long they hung in there with Sinorice? It's their philosophy and I would imagine their hating to be proven wrong about their selections because they put so much effort into it.

Yep, first three rounds guys are untouchable. Sintim another example. 4th round guys get at least 2 seasons.
Sounds about right.

nygfan0816
04-29-2012, 08:16 PM
beckum may and should get cut, he just isnt good. not for the giants at least.

jernigan i doubt will be cut. this will only be his 2nd season and he may be the 4th WR. he will also have competition at KR/PR because of wilson, hosley, and hixon.

RagTime Blue
04-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I don't see how you can claim ANY of last year's rookies to be a bust. They had no real offseason, which is how they get acclimated to how things are done.

The one good thing we got out of Travis Beckum was learning NEVER to draft TE's that can't hold down the LOS. Other than that, he has no place on this team.

Ramses Barden might be gone before the season starts. . .but I think that's a longshot. There's always somebody getting injured, and as mediocre as he's been, he knows the system, and that's no small thing.

I can't wait to see what Jernigan can do. He looks to have homerun power.

Bear Pascoe, I think, is safe. He's a proven TE who can block and get just open enough for Eli to slip a ball to him.

RoanokeFan
04-29-2012, 08:24 PM

It seems to me they have to allow for the learning curve which is different for every player. Victor Cruz is an example of a guy who just "has it" and flourishes. That's so rare for a drafted player and he was UDFA.

Axels15
04-29-2012, 08:26 PM
They will "develop" a high draftee until his rookie contract expires.** Look how long they hung in there with Sinorice?* It's their philosophy and I would imagine their hating to be proven wrong about their selections because they put so much effort into it.

It seems to me they have to allow for the learning curve which is different for every player.* Victor Cruz is an example of a guy who just "has it" and flourishes.* That's so rare for a drafted player and he was UDFA.*

Of course, the fourth round rule didn't save Dillard. But the linebackers we got last year were just too promising

slipknottin
04-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Of course, the fourth round rule didn't save Dillard. But the linebackers we got last year were just too promising

Yea, Dillard is the only recent 4th rounder I can think of that got waived before season 2, other than Andre Brown who blew out his achilles. Last time was 2003 with Rod Babers who didnt even make it out of training camp.

RoanokeFan
04-29-2012, 08:36 PM

It seems to me they have to allow for the learning curve which is different for every player. Victor Cruz is an example of a guy who just "has it" and flourishes. That's so rare for a drafted player and he was UDFA.

Nothing's 100%

KATKAVAGE75
04-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Guys, we are the NY GIANTS. Probably the classiest org. In the league. We give drafted player just about every opportunity to make an impact, they are almost always given 3-4 years to explode into a starting role.. Beckum might be done now, but jernigan has had to chance to prove himself. You watch, he will be dynamite this year, and the only problem we will have is not enough balls for all the pro bowl receivers we have. It's official we have the BEST core in the league. And we are the youngest. Great time to be a giants fan. Exciting talent. And eli is the best QB in football. I trust everything he does.
Bump ++++++

BeatYale
04-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Last season had a short off season because of the CBA deal. Rookies were at a bigger disadvantage because of that. I'm shocked that Jernigan's name came up in this topic instead of Barden.

Maybe because Jernigan is 5'8" and Barden is 6'6"? ... I keep forgetting so many fans get wet over tall receivers thinking their height automatically translates them to be a future HOF'er.

NYSPORTS
04-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Last season had a short off season because of the CBA deal. Rookies were at a bigger disadvantage because of that. I'm shocked that Jernigan's name came up in this topic instead of Barden.

Jernigan is an innocent as 95% of the NFL draft class who had no OTA's, etc. It' ridiculous for his name to be mentioned.

Fans will be fans.

jomo
04-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Jernigan is safe and will compete for the #3 oe #4 WR slot. Beckum will be gone.

embeshAtYa
04-29-2012, 10:11 PM
not concerned

giantsfan420
04-29-2012, 10:13 PM
the great thing about our wr corp is the diff dynamics and dimensions we can employ. Its all about matchups.

Hopefully JJ can be used when the situation calls for it, like if teams are playing a deep cover 2 shell, having him work the underneath and churning YAC could come in handy.

Its all about matchups, and while I belivee Randle automatically becomes our 3, there will still be situations where a guy like JJ will come in huge

GameTime
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Both have been disappointments.*

how is Jernigam been disappointing?? He has hardly had a chnace to do much. Beckum....I see and injury settlement for sure. But not JJ. Give the kid a shot......geeze.

NY_Eli
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
I remember when people on the boards were saying Manningham was a bust after his first year.

Give JJ more than one rookie season without an offseason to prove himself

Drez
04-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Both have been disappointments.

how is Jernigam been disappointing?? He has hardly had a chnace to do much. Beckum....I see and injury settlement for sure. But not JJ. Give the kid a shot......geeze.
Because he didn't have 70+ catches, 1200+ yds, and 10+ tds/

JJC7301
04-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Beckum could be, but no reason to cut JJ who has only been around 1 year.

PRFan
04-30-2012, 12:57 AM
This, on 3 WR sets, Cruz should play the slot so We need that 3rd guy to be an outside guy. That's why I thought Barden or Hixon would be on top of JJ on the depth chart. Now Randle comes in a looks the part of an outside receiver...

THE_New_York_Giants
04-30-2012, 01:02 AM
JJ was just as impressive his rookie year as manningham was. Just saying.