PDA

View Full Version : Kruunch's Draft Reaction

Kruunch
04-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Interesting draft with some twists and turns.

1) David Wilson (RB) - I like this pick a lot. The Giants needed some top gun blood at the RB position for awhile now and I think they got it here. Value wise, the only person I really had rated higher was Cordy Glenn and I think that the Gians got better value here then waiting to take a RB lower down (i.e. the Olinemen didn't fall off quite as much as the RBs did later on).

2) Ruben Randle (WR) - We all saw a WR coming in the second round after the Giants worked out Mohamed Sanu and Alshon Jeffery (both 2nd round prospects) and then ended up with a first round talent pick WR in the second in Randle. Great pick here and someone who could come in and potentially smoke all of the #3 WR candidates on the current roster.

3) Jayron Hosely (CB) - Another position the Giants worked out at this level (Omar Bolden) and they go with the solid second round prospect here instead. Solid value pick (BPA by position).

4) Brandon Mosely (OT) - We all know that the Giants needed help at OT this year and Brandon Mosely was the last in the tier of player who could possibly contribute this year or next. Graded as a 3rd round prospect, so solid value in the 4th.

4a) Adrien Robinson (TE - My only real head scratcher of the draft. We needed TE help but this guy was rated as a UFDA and I think we reached here a bit. Reese called this kid the JPP of TEs which I think is a bit of a stretch but honestly I know almost next to nothing about him so I'll give JR the benefit of the doubt here.

6) Matt McCants (OT) - It appears the Giants' philosophy here is similar to what they did last year with the LB position ... if you can't get a solid grade A prospect, throw numbers at the position and this appears to be what the McCants pick was. It also tells me that David Diehl probably doesn't have more then a year or two left with the Giants.

7) Markus Kuhn (DT) - Another position that the Giants needed to add depth to potentially with Marvin Austin being a big question mark two years removed from football. This is technically a value pick (6th round rated player) but 7th round is 7th round. Not really a whole lot of upside I see to this guy past the measurables he brings to the table.

UFDA) The only undrafted free agent that stood out to me was Janzen Jackson (S). Kid is a penalty waiting to happen but you have to love a Safety who throws himself around the way he does. Keep an eye on him in the pre-season games.

Overall I'm very positive about this draft.

Kruunch's Grade: B+

Post Draft Note: It seems that the Giants look to draft by position per round in some rounds in this draft. They tried out Sanu (WR) and Jeffery (WR) both second round WR prospects and ended up taking a WR in the second round. The samething happened in the 3rd with CB (where they originally worked out Omar Bolden).

titwio
04-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Just wanted to offer you a reminder from my mock draft that you shot down:

;)

Good personel but a bit unrealistic ...

1) Devon Still most likely will be gone by #32.

2) Wagner is probably not around at #64.

3) Bobby Massie is sure to be gone at #96.

4) Ladarius Green and Isiah Pead are both borderline 2nd round picks (certainly gone in the 3rd at some point).
http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/2534272.aspx

With the exception Pead going earlier than expected I was right about Still, Massie, Green...Sorry but I had to bring this up.

As far as your draft grade...I agree. I have it at around a B. I like the first 3 picks. Didn't really know too much about Robinson but Mosley I felt was good value. Kuhn is older but his upside and potential makes it a good pick...imo.

Kruunch
04-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Just wanted to offer you a reminder from my mock draft that you shot down:

;)

Good personel but a bit unrealistic ...

1) Devon Still most likely will be gone by #32.

2) Wagner is probably not around at #64.

3) Bobby Massie is sure to be gone at #96.

4) Ladarius Green and Isiah Pead are both borderline 2nd round picks (certainly gone in the 3rd at some point).

With the exception Pead going earlier than expected I was right about Still, Massie, Green...Sorry but I had to bring this up.

As far as your draft grade...I agree. I have it at around a B. I like the first 3 picks. Didn't really know too much about Robinson but Mosley I felt was good value. Kuhn is older but his upside and potential makes it a good pick...imo.

Hindsight is always 20/20 http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-4.gif

I'm sure if you went over your own prospects you'll find a few that went somewhere other than you thought they'd go.

However none of those guys fell too far from where I thought they'd go.

titwio
04-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20 http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-4.gif

I'm sure if you went over your own prospects you'll find a few that went somewhere other than you thought they'd go.

However none of those guys fell too far from where I thought they'd go.

I get the same thing every year that's all. People think because others have some players at a certain round or projection that they're always slotted for that spot. Draft day always brings up panic and second guesses on prospects....much like I felt was the case for Massie and Still. I feel I'm good in that aspect but usually get responses much like yours.

Anyway...Yes, I feel better now.

Kruunch
04-30-2012, 11:11 AM
I am admittedly the worst judge of player draft projections [b]

titwio
04-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Your still one of my favorite and most respected posters here :)

Kruunch
04-30-2012, 12:43 PM

Your still one of my favorite and most respected posters here :)

http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-10.gif

allentown PA
04-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Interesting draft with some twists and turns.

1) David Wilson (RB) - I like this pick a lot. The Giants needed some top gun blood at the RB position for awhile now and I think they got it here. Value wise, the only person I really had rated higher was Cordy Glenn and I think that the Gians got better value here then waiting to take a RB lower down (i.e. the Olinemen didn't fall off quite as much as the RBs did later on).

2) Ruben Randle (WR) - We all saw a WR coming in the second round after the Giants worked out Mohamed Sanu and Alshon Jeffery (both 2nd round prospects) and then ended up with a first round talent pick WR in the second in Randle. Great pick here and someone who could come in and potentially smoke all of the #3 WR candidates on the current roster.

3) Jayron Hosely (CB) - Another position the Giants worked out at this level (Omar Bolden) and they go with the solid second round prospect here instead. Solid value pick (BPA by position).

4) Brandon Mosely (OT) - We all know that the Giants needed help at OT this year and Brandon Mosely was the last in the tier of player who could possibly contribute this year or next. Graded as a 3rd round prospect, so solid value in the 4th.

4a) Adrien Robinson (TE - My only real head scratcher of the draft. We needed TE help but this guy was rated as a UFDA and I think we reached here a bit. Reese called this kid the JPP of TEs which I think is a bit of a stretch but honestly I know almost next to nothing about him so I'll give JR the benefit of the doubt here.

6) Matt McCants (OT) - It appears the Giants' philosophy here is similar to what they did last year with the LB position ... if you can't get a solid grade A prospect, throw numbers at the position and this appears to be what the McCants pick was. It also tells me that David Diehl probably doesn't have more then a year or two left with the Giants.

7) Markus Kuhn (DT) - Another position that the Giants needed to add depth to potentially with Marvin Austin being a big question mark two years removed from football. This is technically a value pick (6th round rated player) but 7th round is 7th round. Not really a whole lot of upside I see to this guy past the measurables he brings to the table.

UFDA) The only undrafted free agent that stood out to me was Janzen Jackson (S). Kid is a penalty waiting to happen but you have to love a Safety who throws himself around the way he does. Keep an eye on him in the pre-season games.

Overall I'm very positive about this draft.

Kruunch's Grade: B+

Post Draft Note: It seems that the Giants look to draft by position per round in some rounds in this draft. They tried out Sanu (WR) and Jeffery (WR) both second round WR prospects and ended up taking a WR in the second round. The samething happened in the 3rd with CB (where they originally worked out Omar Bolden).

I agree with al u said but I've read some good things on Robinson, from waht I've heard he is a good blocker and should fit well with what we do...Mcants was the only pick I didnt really like....Randle was my favorite pick in this draft..really exicted about this kid.

giantsfan420
04-30-2012, 01:55 PM
i dunno about massie and the others, but I too believed Still was not a 1rst round pick worthy...I kept seeing people project Still to us and I would have been upset had we picked him at 32...i believe he made it to the 3rd didnt he?

swimeasy
04-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Always enjoy your analyses Kruunch. I'm still unsettled about the OL, but keeping the faith. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what's happens with Robinson. JR is typically more guarded about prospects and he really went out on a limb elaborating on this guy and comparing him to JPP. I also noted he was only slightly shorter than Gronk and ran I believe a 4.57 to Gronk's 4.68 and JR specifically addressed his catching ability as an area that they vetted as well. We shall see. Like all of us, hoping for another diamond. [:)]

Kruunch
04-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Always enjoy your analyses Kruunch. I'm still unsettled about the OL, but keeping the faith. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what's happens with Robinson. JR is typically more guarded about prospects and he really went out on a limb elaborating on this guy and comparing him to JPP. I also noted he was only slightly shorter than Gronk and ran I believe a 4.57 to Gronk's 4.68 and JR specifically addressed his catching ability as an area that they vetted as well. We shall see. Like all of us, hoping for another diamond. [:)]

Thank you thank you! I always enjoy your replies Swim [b]

Well the numbers game has worked before for the Giants. We've done it with RB (in the past), TE and LB and they've all managed to work out thus far. Now we're doing it with OT.

I don't think we'll have the #1 rushing attack this year, but I'm optimistic going forward.

Kruunch
04-30-2012, 02:21 PM
i dunno about massie and the others, but I too believed Still was not a 1rst round pick worthy...I kept seeing people project Still to us and I would have been upset had we picked him at 32...i believe he made it to the 3rd didnt he?

I wasn't crazy about Still myself, but he was ranked really high going into the draft.

Picked in the 2nd by the Bengals (53rd pick overall).

jhamburg
04-30-2012, 02:23 PM
I think the Rivers trade hurt us a little with the Robinson pick, in that we really wanted to take a chance on him but could easily have waited for the 5th if we had a 5th pick, but waiting for the 6th might have been too risky, so we had to make a big reach in the 4th instead.

Kruunch
04-30-2012, 02:58 PM
I think the Rivers trade hurt us a little with the Robinson pick, in that we really wanted to take a chance on him but could easily have waited for the 5th if we had a 5th pick, but waiting for the 6th might have been too risky, so we had to make a big reach in the 4th instead.

Possibly.

Apparently Reese and company are really high on Robinson. Supposedly he had a great pre-draft workout with them. If he works out, then we'll be like "we drafted him in the 4th ... JR is a genius!" ..... again.