PDA

View Full Version : Bill Barnwell (Grantland) rips Giants and Browns for grabbing RBs in 1st round...

G-Men4Supes
04-30-2012, 02:49 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/25185/five-up-five-down-from-day-1-of-the-nfl-draft

Excerpt (more at the link, under "Five Down"):

The Giants, meanwhile, can't even follow their own history. Remember who
the Giants had in 2006? Right: Tiki Barber, a big-name, big-money
running back. When he retired before the 2007 season, the Giants pieced
together a rotation with a fourth-round pick (Brandon Jacobs) and a pair
of seventh-rounders (Ahmad Bradshaw and Derrick Ward). Behind a great
offensive line, they were a dominant rushing attack and a key part of
Big Blue's Super Bowl run. During the following season, they were even
better, with Jacobs and Ward each hitting 1,000 yards. Instead of
assuming that the offensive line was the important part of the equation,
these running backs all began to get rich. Ward got a big contract in
free agency from the Buccaneers and ran for a total of 409 yards before
being released. Jacobs got a hefty raise to re-sign with the Giants and
immediately saw his performance drop off before he was taken out of the
starting lineup and replaced with Bradshaw. What do you think happened
to Bradshaw? Why, he got a hefty contract extension last offseason and
promptly saw his yards per carry dip below 4.0 for the first time in his
career. Bradshaw also struggled with injuries and then nearly fumbled the game
away in both the NFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl. How on earth
could you follow that pattern and decide that your team needs to invest
more in running backs? With their Super Bowl halo, though, the Giants
spent the 32nd pick on Virginia Tech running back David Wilson. Some
depth on the offensive line or in the back seven might have been more
useful.

gmen0820
04-30-2012, 02:55 PM
I ****ing hate Bill Barnwell.

GameTime
04-30-2012, 02:56 PM
so he rips the Giants RBs for being injury prone and lack production after salary bumps but goign after a top notch RB is a bad thing?? According to him we need an RB worth the $$. He brings up the oline with good cuase but IMO the oline will be fine. He fails to mention that Wilson also is a good return guy too.

sharick88
04-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Who the **** is Bill Barnwell? Might as well be Barney Rubble ripping the giants. WHO GIVES A ****???!!!!

ny06
04-30-2012, 03:09 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Pm43Iyp0sDg/Tmk06muELHI/AAAAAAAAARU/HCm6rILXz6w/s1600/barnwell_bill_m.png</P>

Here he is folks, and no that's not a mug shot. </P>

The man is entitled to his opinion, but to bad his opinion is off base. </P>

TheEnigma
04-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Bill Barnwell=lawl

Sorry, had to do it

Manning
04-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Hes a Giants fan FYI.

G-Men4Supes
04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
My response to Barnwell would be that although I agree that the O-Line was a big part of the running failure of last season, and that it also allowed the most QB hurries in the NFL (220 versus 205 for the second-worst team), the Giants didn't see O-Line value where they were picking, and are content to fix the O-Line incrementally while picking up some excellent skill players in the first 3 rounds. After all, the G-Men had an incredible championship run with their very suspect O-Line last season. In time, if the current crop of offensive tackles and guards doesn't show improvement, the Giants will move to correct the problem.

sharick88
04-30-2012, 03:38 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Pm43Iyp0sDg/Tmk06muELHI/AAAAAAAAARU/HCm6rILXz6w/s1600/barnwell_bill_m.png</P>

That guy is even beneath those dorks for the bleacher report.

BigBlue1971
04-30-2012, 03:46 PM

</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#ff0000>he looks like an expert on running backs!</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000000>moron.</FONT></P>

jakegibbs
04-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Looks like a Dallas fan. I bet he wears Tony Romo undershirts.

dave56dj
04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Actually Barnwell is a great writer and has had some nice articles for Grantland. It seems any time a player leaves the giants (goff - we must say who cares he wasn't good) or if a player becomes a giant its awesome (i realize not all of us do this but a vast majority). I would agree with Barnwell except for this. I have been praising Wilson for months now. He is a guy, unlike most backs, who doesn't need much room at all to pick up yards. He is extremely shifty (most yards after contact in all of college last year) and although it can get him in trouble as well, for the most part this type of back can work with many lines. A guy like shady comes to mind - although this is a tough comparison as he is one of the better backs in the league. The Eagles do a lot of quick hitting runs which forces mccoy to hit the hole fast - they also run a lot of delays giving mccoy a chance to choose the best hole - sort of a contradiction but he seems to do well at both.

I think the giants o line is very interesting in that they have 3 potential swings with locklear diehl and boothe. No one is a standout - with exception of snee but they have worked together for a good while and have a great deal of versatility. With a healthy snee (hurt shoulder all year) a healthy baas (variety of injuries) healthy Beatty (eye) and some young kids pushing (brewer/ petrus/ mosely/ mccants) the giants certainly will have competition and aren't in the bad spot some think we are. CAn they get better with a stud for sure - but its not just patchwork - there are some highly touted kids on this line.

But the point is no need to kill barnwell just cause he doesn't like wilson.

G-Man67
04-30-2012, 04:06 PM
ha, he's ripping our Super Bowl winning formula????</P>

must be a slow sports day????</P>

we should have learned that operating the way we do only produces 2 Super Bowl wins in 4 years ... unaccecptable! ... we should have tradedour whole draft and next year's 1st for a4 wonderlic DB [:)]</P>

Sundown
04-30-2012, 04:13 PM

Dude looks like a sex offender

nygsb42champs
04-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Never even heard of Bill Barnwell.

G-Men Surg.
04-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Who the **** is Bill Barnwell? Might as well be Barney Rubble ripping the giants. WHO GIVES A ****???!!!!
Pardon my ignorance but Who the hell is Bill Barnswell ?!?!

DragonSoul
04-30-2012, 04:42 PM
I ****ing hate Bill Barnwell.never heard of him

TuckYou
04-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Damn it. He is using logic. I hate that. Everything he said was true. This is why I was not thrilled with the pick. But again, I will root my butt off for him and hope he becomes a star. In Reese I Trust. 2 SBs and counting.

BlueSanta
04-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Uhh he is a random internet Blogger.

I could get a hobo off the streets of Paraguay who has never even heard of the NFL, put a computer in front of him, give him a "Staff writer" position on a blog site of mine, and his opinion would then carry as much weight as Bill Barnwell.

Btw, why didnt he mention the Bucs, who traded up 5 spots for their runningback giving away the equivalent of a 3rd round pick in value?

nevada11
04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Damn it. He is using logic. I hate that. Everything he said was true. This is why I was not thrilled with the pick. But again, I will root my butt off for him and hope he becomes a star. In Reese I Trust. 2 SBs and counting.

Why are you not thrilled? Dont you trust Reese? They are the proffesional scouts you are just a fan who knows nothing

"IN REESE WE TRUST!"

JMFP2
04-30-2012, 07:21 PM

LOL

dave56dj
04-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Not defending Barnwell but here is who he is

<ul> Bill Barnwell,managing editor of Football Outsiders and a statistical consultant for Major League Baseball, who has written forThe New York Times,The Wall Street Journal, and ESPN The Magazine.[/list]I dont agree with him b/c i think wilson has the kind of moves you dream of but man you guys will kill anyone who doesnt agree with everything the giants ever do. i love Reese but that does not mean he is above reproach. Again i rarely ever question the guy and dont agree with barnwell here but dont feel it necessary to kill everyone who questions any pick he makes. But continue on.

GfieldGmen
05-01-2012, 04:29 AM
The only problem with his logic is that

Diehl was a 5th round pick.

Ohara went undrafted and signed as a free agent

Seubert went undrafted and signed as a free agent

Snee was a 2nd rd pick

Mckenzie was a 3rd rd pick for the jets who we signed as a free agent.

rainierjef
05-01-2012, 06:46 AM
can i just say one thing. and i mean no disrespect or am trying to insult anyone but you all sound like a cult with this.

"do you not trust reese? in reese we trust."

its almost like if you don't trust him you liable to get verbally attacked or worst conformed. i don't know maybe all this absolute man love for reese is becoming a little annoying.

carry on

TuckYou
05-01-2012, 07:56 AM
can i just say one thing. and i mean no disrespect or am trying to insult anyone but you all sound like a cult with this.

its almost like if you don't trust him you liable to get verbally attacked or worst conformed. i don't know maybe all this absolute man love for reese is becoming a little annoying.

carry on
</P>

It's like peeing your pants, it's the cool thing to do. Everybody is doing it. </P>

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE6AnyKBxZlFXKRSZwAr4shlpV2mO9K 6nCu9MZjZ1akJokLk_B</P>

domfin
05-01-2012, 08:01 AM
You got to be kidding me. This board is turning into a land of morons.

gumby742
05-01-2012, 08:47 AM

carry on
</P>

It's like peeing your pants, it's the cool thing to do. Everybody is doing it. </P>

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE6AnyKBxZlFXKRSZwAr4shlpV2mO9K 6nCu9MZjZ1akJokLk_B</P>

</P>

I'm probably teh biggest JR homer out there, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with questioning his picks. We're fans and we have opinions. There's nothing wrong with being unhappy with a GMs draft, yet having faith that everything will work itself out. </P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

lawl
05-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Bill Barnwell=lawl

Sorry, had to do it

This means war

B&RWarrior
05-01-2012, 12:46 PM
can't flaw his logic except where he tries to blame AB for his mistakes.

Run blocking should always supercede the runner in terms of imprtance to an offense unless you have a Barry like back.

Can anyone name a RB besides Barry that ran well behind a bad line.

If the line struggles it won't matter who we have at RB. Still you can't go into the season with one starter quality back, which is what we had for sure before the draft- Ware, Brown, and Scott being unknowns as far as their starter potential is concerned. RB and OL were needs.

Rat_bastich
05-01-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm just trying to get past him ripping the Browns for taking Richardson. If Luck or RGIII were not there you can bet that Richardson probably would have been the first player of the draft gone.

idiotekniQues
05-01-2012, 04:00 PM
heard the same thing about letting smith and boss go, and look what happened.

jerry and crew know more about what we have on the team in regards to OL and we have to believe they took that into consideration in the draft.

can't wait for the season to play out.

Pksoze
05-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Bill Barnwell is a Giants fan and a smart guy...but he's not infallible. He did pick against the Giants in 3 out of the last 4 playoff games last year. I was puzzled by the pick but I have learned to trust our front office.

GfieldGmen
05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
I think Wilson is going to be used in a TON of screens which will help out an offensive line tremendously.

Plus we added Bennett who is known as an outstanding run blocker.

Ruben Randle is known as a strong run blocker out of college with his size and strength at the WR position.

The giants picked up some good things to compliment and make the job of the Oline easier over just drafting Olinemen. Plus the O-line was dealing with a lot of injuries last season and could be improved if they just get healthy which showed in the playoffs.

MikeIsaGiant
05-02-2012, 11:42 AM
He should coach the New York Giants