PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper's take on Giants drafts from 2004-2009

bigblue5611
05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
someone sent this to me earlier today, so i cant take credit for the compilation, but be ready to laugh hard here...

------------------------------------------------------------

2004:
1- Manning
2- Snee
4- Torbor
5- Gibril Wilson
6- Jamaar Taylor
7- Strojny

Kiper:
Quote:
New York Giants: C+
It all hinges on Eli Manning and how he pans out. The Giants obviously felt he was significantly better than the other top quarterbacks or they would not have given up so much to get him. There will be tremendous pressure on him to make it all worth it, but Ernie Accorsi has a history of being a good judge of young quarterbacks, so it could all work out. Chris Snee was a solid pickup at guard but they did pass on Nat Dorsey, failing to upgrade the left tackle spot. Gibril Wilson was arguably the defensive MVP for Tennessee last season.

2005:
2- Webster
3- Tuck
4- Jacobs
6- Eric Moore

Kiper:

Quote:
New York Giants: C
Cornerback Corey Webster was slowed by nagging injuries last season but is a tremendous cover man when healthy and had a top-10 grade after his junior season. Justin Tuck is an okay end in the third round but should have gone back to Notre Dame, Brandon Jacobs should carve a niche as a power back and end Eric Moore is also an okay pick. The Giants just did not have enough selections to make a big impact on their football team.

2006:
1- Kiwanuka
2- Moss
3- Wilkinson
4- Cofield
4- Whimper
5- Peprah
7- Gerrick McPhearson

Kiper:

Quote:
New York Giants: GRADE: C+
DE Mathias Kiwanuka was a reach late in the first round, but he will get a chance to learn from Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora. Getting WR Sinorice Moss in the second round was one of the best picks in the draft; he could be the deep threat the Giants' offense needs. Guy Whimper is a versatile offensive lineman and could have gone higher than the fourth round.

2007:
1- Ross
2- Steve Smith
3- Alford
4- DeOssie
5- Boss
6- Koets
7- Michael Johnson
7- Bradshaw

Kiper:

Quote:
New York Giants: GRADE: C-
I would have gone differently with the Giants’ draft. Cornerback Aaron Ross has very good ball skills but not great catchup speed. I was surprised they didn’t take left tackle Joe Staley because they need someone who can protect Eli Manning’s blind side. The Giants took offensive tackle Adam Koets in the sixth round and even passed on left tackle Jermon Bushrod. If they had taken Staley, they could have drafted Eric Wright from UNLV instead of WR Steve Smith. I would rather have had Staley and Wright, but Smith is a good receiver and will be someone who holds onto the ball. Zak DeOssie was a really good long snapper in college and, at worst, will be a backup linebacker in the NFL. Kevin Boss (fifth round) is a natural pass-catching tight end with speed and has a chance to make an impact in the passing game. Safety Michael Johnson was a good pick in the seventh round but needs to be more physical.

2008:
1- Phillips
2- T. Thomas
3- Manningham
4- Kehl
5- Goff
6- Woodson
6- Robert Henderson

Kiper:

Quote:
I understand taking safety Kenny Phillips with the last pick in the first round. He had a great sophomore season in 2006. Terrell Thomas could be a No. 2 cornerback, but I thought that pick was just OK. Wide receiver Mario Manningham is worth a role of the dice in the third round because he has talent, but his stock dropped in the months leading up to the draft, with some teams viewing him as a late-round pick. Jonathan Goff was a good find in the fifth round, and the same can be said about Andre’ Woodson in Round 6. Defensive end Robert Henderson is just a marginal prospect.

2009:
1- Nicks
2- Stintim
2- Beatty
3- Barden
3- Beckum
4- Andre Brown
5- Bomar
6- Wright
7- Woodson

Kiper:

Quote:
New York Giants: GRADE: B
The selection of first-round wide receiver Hakeem Nicks could be a good one, but he really needs to keep his weight up to make an impact in the NFL. I like the selection of offensive tackle William Beatty in the second round and wide receiver Ramses Barden in the third round. They made some good selections late in the draft with running back Andre Brown in the fourth and the two defensive backs in the sixth and seventh rounds: DeAndre Wright and Stoney Woodson.

Long story is, Kiper's not the draft grader to read..

LT_was_good
05-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Honorable Mentions:
"Justin Tuck is an okay end in the third round but should have gone back to Notre Dame"

(After getting Webster, Tuck, and Jacobs 2, 3, 4) "The Giants just did not have enough selections to make a big impact on their football team."

But of course the Grand Prize:

"Getting WR Sinorice Moss in the second round was one of the best picks in the draft"

egyptian420
05-01-2012, 09:36 PM
That Sinorice Moss statement is classic

Drez
05-01-2012, 09:40 PM

I think I wet myself a little laughing so hard at that one.

Sundown
05-01-2012, 09:59 PM
This is awesome! By his constant failing we get 3-4 great players a draft!! This draft should be a good draft for us haha

ebick
05-01-2012, 10:02 PM
ok.....I'd be the first one to jump on the "question Mel Kiper" bandwagon.....I've always felt he had a job with very little accountability, since you can't truly evaluate a draft until several years down the road.</P>

But what's the expectation? Perfection? I wouldn't think so. And he was certainly dead wrong with several of his comments (Moss evaluation leading the way).......but if you look at this objectively, there were many evaluations that were pretty spot on. On the other hand, many of the comments can also be read as non-commital......2004 for instance.....graded the draft a C but qualified it saying it all hinged on how things turned out with Eli.</P>

dubee_j
05-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Great post!

Giants10Joe
05-01-2012, 10:19 PM
His analysis for 2004 and 2008 was fairly accurate even though the grades don't really match what he wrote. Based on what he wrote, both should deserve at least a B+ with the stipulation that the 04 grade changes based on Eli (clearly an A+ now). The rest was just laughable.

logan9839
05-01-2012, 10:21 PM
ok.....I'd be the first one to jump on the "question Mel Kiper" bandwagon.....I've always felt he had a job with very little accountability, since you can't truly evaluate a draft until several years down the road.</P>

But what's the expectation?* Perfection?* I wouldn't think so.* And he was certainly dead wrong with several of his comments (Moss evaluation leading the way).......but if you look at this objectively, there were many evaluations that were pretty spot on.* On the other hand, many of the comments can also be read as non-commital......2004 for instance.....graded the draft a C but qualified it saying it all hinged on how things turned out with Eli.</P>

I hear you, but...........this brings up a great point. You just can't go by his board. Seems the GMs know a thing or two.

Axels15
05-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Getting WR Sinorice Moss in the second round was one of the best picks in the draft;

LOL

Axels15
05-01-2012, 10:30 PM

But what's the expectation?* Perfection?* I wouldn't think so.* And he was certainly dead wrong with several of his comments (Moss evaluation leading the way).......but if you look at this objectively, there were many evaluations that were pretty spot on.* On the other hand, many of the comments can also be read as non-commital......2004 for instance.....graded the draft a C but qualified it saying it all hinged on how things turned out with Eli.</P>

Not perfection, but some decent evaluation would be nice

giantyankee1976
05-01-2012, 10:32 PM

I starting smirking as soon as I read it.

the guy is basically everything his hair style states: dweeb

B&RWarrior
05-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah he was off on a few but for the most part he was pretty accurate. I didn't realize C-Web was that well regarded in college. So he really didn't surprise anybody with his success in the NFL.

Is LSU CB Univ?

jomo
05-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Love me that Sinorice Moss.</P>

If Kiper knew what he was talking about, he'd be a GM and not a talking head. [:)]</P>

JJC7301
05-01-2012, 10:37 PM

If Kiper knew what he was talking about, he'd be a GM and not a talking head. [:)]</P>
Sinorice Moss may be my most hated pick of all time.

NJAquaman
05-01-2012, 10:50 PM
very interesting compilation...kiper lost his cred with me after his over the top man crush on Jimmy Clausen...

NYGiantsFan56
05-01-2012, 11:28 PM
That's great. looks like we hit gold again because Kiper gave us another "C". LOL

TuckYou
05-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Kiper said Jamarcus Russell was going to be a star QB in the NFL. I said he would suck. I win.

BlueBlooded1979
05-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Mayock is far better than kiper. I have little use for BSPN anymore.

egyptian420
05-02-2012, 12:31 AM
someone sent this to me earlier today, so i cant take credit for the compilation, but be ready to laugh hard here...

------------------------------------------------------------

2004:
1- Manning
2- Snee
4- Torbor
5- Gibril Wilson
6- Jamaar Taylor
7- Strojny

Kiper:
Quote:
New York Giants: C+
It all hinges on Eli Manning and how he pans out. The Giants obviously felt he was significantly better than the other top quarterbacks or they would not have given up so much to get him. There will be tremendous pressure on him to make it all worth it, but Ernie Accorsi has a history of being a good judge of young quarterbacks, so it could all work out. Chris Snee was a solid pickup at guard but they did pass on Nat Dorsey, failing to upgrade the left tackle spot. Gibril Wilson was arguably the defensive MVP for Tennessee last season.

2005:
2- Webster
3- Tuck
4- Jacobs
6- Eric Moore

Kiper:

Quote:
New York Giants: C
Cornerback Corey Webster was slowed by nagging injuries last season but is a tremendous cover man when healthy and had a top-10 grade after his junior season. Justin Tuck is an okay end in the third round but should have gone back to Notre Dame, Brandon Jacobs should carve a niche as a power back and end Eric Moore is also an okay pick. The Giants just did not have enough selections to make a big impact on their football team.

2006:
1- Kiwanuka
2- Moss
3- Wilkinson
4- Cofield
4- Whimper
5- Peprah
7- Gerrick McPhearson

Kiper:

Quote:
DE Mathias Kiwanuka was a reach late in the first round, but he will get a chance to learn from Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora. Getting WR Sinorice Moss in the second round was one of the best picks in the draft; he could be the deep threat the Giants' offense needs. Guy Whimper is a versatile offensive lineman and could have gone higher than the fourth round.

2007:
1- Ross
2- Steve Smith
3- Alford
4- DeOssie
5- Boss
6- Koets
7- Michael Johnson
7- Bradshaw

Kiper:

Quote:
New York Giants: GRADE: C-
I would have gone differently with the Giants’ draft. Cornerback Aaron Ross has very good ball skills but not great catchup speed. I was surprised they didn’t take left tackle Joe Staley because they need someone who can protect Eli Manning’s blind side. The Giants took offensive tackle Adam Koets in the sixth round and even passed on left tackle Jermon Bushrod. If they had taken Staley, they could have drafted Eric Wright from UNLV instead of WR Steve Smith. I would rather have had Staley and Wright, but Smith is a good receiver and will be someone who holds onto the ball. Zak DeOssie was a really good long snapper in college and, at worst, will be a backup linebacker in the NFL. Kevin Boss (fifth round) is a natural pass-catching tight end with speed and has a chance to make an impact in the passing game. Safety Michael Johnson was a good pick in the seventh round but needs to be more physical.

2008:
1- Phillips
2- T. Thomas
3- Manningham
4- Kehl
5- Goff
6- Woodson
6- Robert Henderson

Kiper:

Quote:
I understand taking safety Kenny Phillips with the last pick in the first round. He had a great sophomore season in 2006. Terrell Thomas could be a No. 2 cornerback, but I thought that pick was just OK. Wide receiver Mario Manningham is worth a role of the dice in the third round because he has talent, but his stock dropped in the months leading up to the draft, with some teams viewing him as a late-round pick. Jonathan Goff was a good find in the fifth round, and the same can be said about Andre’ Woodson in Round 6. Defensive end Robert Henderson is just a marginal prospect.

2009:
1- Nicks
2- Stintim
2- Beatty
3- Barden
3- Beckum
4- Andre Brown
5- Bomar
6- Wright
7- Woodson

Kiper:

Quote:
New York Giants: GRADE: B
The selection of first-round wide receiver Hakeem Nicks could be a good one, but he really needs to keep his weight up to make an impact in the NFL. I like the selection of offensive tackle William Beatty in the second round and wide receiver Ramses Barden in the third round. They made some good selections late in the draft with running back Andre Brown in the fourth and the two defensive backs in the sixth and seventh rounds: DeAndre Wright and Stoney Woodson.

Long story is, Kiper's not the draft grader to read..
Would you be able to get the same thing for Todd McShay?

giantsfan420
05-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Kiper said Jamarcus Russell was going to be a star QB in the NFL. I said he would suck. I win.

i remember how he gushed over him, touting him the next big thing and possible top level nfl qb...

but i do have to say, some of his player assessments were fairly accurate. but his grades offset that. he basically covers both ends, which is why i find him nothing more then entertainment. he will rarely take a definitive stance on a player and grades, and when he does, he's usually dead wrong (so i guess i get why he is that way)

lmfao at the s.moss comment

RagTime Blue
05-02-2012, 01:50 AM
Love me that Sinorice Moss.</p>

If Kiper knew what he was talking about, he'd be a GM and not a talking head. [:)]</p>
Sinorice Moss may be my <font size="6">most hated pick</font> of all time.

I would agree with you, except that we used 2 picks on him (we actually traded up. . .yes, I know).

jhamburg
05-02-2012, 02:16 AM
The one smart thing he suggested there was taking Staley over Ross or Bushrod over Koets. Maybe he's better at grading OTs....but probably goes in the "broken clock is right twice a day" category.

GreenZone
05-02-2012, 05:36 AM
Kiper has questionable upside. An overrated talent out of the University of BS of PN. He's been timed on the set to take 40 ms to get out the first utterance in a conversation, prior to thinking. We feel a top round air talent would take a little less time when not thinking about they are about to say.

At the combine, Kiper sees ghosts and has a hard time distinguishing between phantom talent and apparitions, yet we give him credit in that he still manages to utter out a string of consecutive English words that do form a partial sentence. Kiper has been known to bench press a bagel or two in succession during intermissions, not a bad skill set for his height and weight.

He's seen as being light on ball skills, especially when it comes to making bold predictions that can widely be pinned to him.

A lot of fantasy scouts have Kiper rated higher, as a top round analyst, but we would have gone in a different direction. He's been nagged by lackluster choices in recent years, but that hasn't slowed Kiper from keeping his steady gums from flapping, nor the on air production team from upgrading at that position.

We can say that, when healthy, Kiper is known not to spread germs in the studio. He did have a top 10 grade in his rookie year on air, for whatever that's worth, and still is able to haul in major ratings from unsuspecting novice talent scout viewers.

We do feel his stock has dropped since the last draft. But Kiper continues to be a safe pick as long as fans don't compile lists of his previous draft choices predictions.

Grade: In duping unsuspecting consumers, believing his random guess work, he gets an A-
From the local psychic: D- "He's stealing all my material!"
Overall grade: We're gong to have to go with a <font color="#FF0000"><font size="6">C-</font></font> on this one.

TuckYou
05-02-2012, 07:38 AM

Sinorice Moss may be my <FONT size=6>most hated pick</FONT> of all time.

I would agree with you, except that we used 2 picks on him (we actually traded up. . .yes, I know).
</P>

We never seem to fair well trading up, Reese even said so himself, which is why we did not this year. We also moved up to get Barden. Or Beckum. One of them, but it doesnt matter. They both pretty much busted so far.</P>

nygsb42champs
05-02-2012, 08:08 AM
That is why they are experts....lol

dsd28
05-02-2012, 08:35 AM
If Kiper knew what he was talking about, he'd be a GM and not a talking head. [:)]</p>

my thoughts exactly. if he was really that good, a team would've hired him by now.

VindicatorPrime
05-02-2012, 09:21 AM
...and this is why I stick with Mayock over on NFLN.

sg92
05-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Kiper has questionable upside. An overrated talent out of the University of BS of PN. He's been timed on the set to take 40 ms to get out the first utterance in a conversation, prior to thinking. We feel a top round air talent would take a little less time when not thinking about they are about to say.

At the combine, Kiper sees ghosts and has a hard time distinguishing between phantom talent and apparitions, yet we give him credit in that he still manages to utter out a string of consecutive English words that do form a partial sentence. Kiper has been known to bench press a bagel or two in succession during intermissions, not a bad skill set for his height and weight.

He's seen as being light on ball skills, especially when it comes to making bold predictions that can widely be pinned to him.

A lot of fantasy scouts have Kiper rated higher, as a top round analyst, but we would have gone in a different direction. He's been nagged by lackluster choices in recent years, but that hasn't slowed Kiper from keeping his steady gums from flapping, nor the on air production team from upgrading at that position.

We can say that, when healthy, Kiper is known not to spread germs in the studio. He did have a top 10 grade in his rookie year on air, for whatever that's worth, and still is able to haul in major ratings from unsuspecting novice talent scout viewers.

We do feel his stock has dropped since the last draft. But Kiper continues to be a safe pick as long as fans don't compile lists of his previous draft choices predictions.

Grade: In duping unsuspecting consumers, believing his random guess work, he gets an A-
Overall grade: We're gong to have to go with a* <font color="#FF0000"><font size="6">C-</font></font> on this one.

Love it! Nice work. I feel you were a little generous in your grading....

Pa1jintfan
05-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Kiper is an idiot. Total moron. The tuck and moss statements are just unreal. No one is perfect, but he's far off. I like mayok. He is much better with more logic for sure.

B-Red22
05-02-2012, 10:16 AM
This is pretty neat to see what was said right after the draft, and know now what all these players did for us down the road.

Vtgmenfan89
05-02-2012, 10:16 AM
The fact he gives our 2009 draft, which is arguably the worst on this whole list, a B just shows he sucks. Kiper has seriously the easiest job ever. NO accountability if you're wrong, you watch college football tape just to guess and give analysis on where players will go...if they don't, they don't. Done deal. Haha

titwio
05-02-2012, 10:25 AM
I find it amusing that his best grade was the 2009 draft which so far has been the worst.

ralphpal
05-02-2012, 10:26 AM
some seem dead on and some seem wrong but that what happens when you try to predict the future. Also it deepens on which team they were drafted to and how they used .

RagTime Blue
05-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Love me that Sinorice Moss.</p>

Sinorice Moss may be my <font size="6">most hated pick</font> of all time.

</p>

We never seem to fair well trading up, Reese even said so himself, which is why we did not this year. We also moved up to get Barden. Or Beckum. One of them, but it doesnt matter. They both pretty much busted so far.</p>

Yes, I heard JR say that as well. It was Barden we traded up for. . .actually gave an extra pick to the Eagles of all teams. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the big guy.

sharick88
05-02-2012, 11:06 AM

"Three years from now you could certainly be looking at a guy who is certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league . . . Nobody has an arm like JaMarcus Russell. . .

Obviously, he'll need a little time. But you're talking about a 2-3-year period. Once he's under center, look out, because the skill level he has is certainly John Elway-like."

Here is his exact quote. LMMFAO!!!

sharick88
05-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Analyzing drafts is a hit or miss line of work. These guys actually do some sort of research in their work. You're a genius if you are right and a moron if you are wrong. Mel Kiper is pretty much comic relief for me when I watch the draft. I usually watch it on NFLN, but do turn it to BSPN just to laugh and Kiper and McShay's arguing and bickering about a team that did not get the guy that they had on their mocks

bigblue5611
05-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Analyzing drafts is a hit or miss line of work. These guys actually do some sort of research in their work. You're a genius if you are right and a moron if you are wrong. Mel Kiper is pretty much comic relief for me when I watch the draft. I usually watch it on NFLN, but do turn it to BSPN just to laugh and Kiper and McShay's arguing and bickering about a team that did not get the guy that they had on their mocks

yo Gee watup my man?

TrueBlue@NYC
05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
This is why the NFLN is by far the best for the draft.

All three of their top draft guys:

Mayock, Casserely (my favorite) and Lombardi are all much better analysts than Kiper.

And they don't make the generalized statements that Kiper does either. They actually going into the scenarios of how the player can possible succeed and where he would likely struggle. It's not just "this guy is good, this guy isn't" type of deal.

You can tell they look at it from more of a GMs' perspective as opposed to Kiper who looks at it more like a fan.

GreenZone
05-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Kiper has questionable upside. An overrated talent out of the University of BS of PN. He's been timed on the set to take 40 ms to get out the first utterance in a conversation, prior to thinking. We feel a top round air talent would take a little less time when not thinking about what they are about to say.

Overall grade: We're gong to have to go with a <font color="#FF0000"><font size="6">C-</font></font> on this one.

Love it! Nice work. I feel you were a little generous in your grading....

Thanks, after hearing so much of this drivel over the past couple of weeks, I'm seeing new vistas of its use in everyday life.

Objectively, I had to bump up the grade for all the sucka's that still watch him; that's what he's there for. When people today rarely pay any attention to history, they're gonna be fooled over and over again.

<code></code>

G-Man67
05-02-2012, 04:51 PM
yeah, it's amazing how some hang on his every draft word</P>

basically Kiper is not a talent evaluator ... he is a rumor mongererwith good connections</P>

but even his connections (scouts / former scouts, etc.) ... don't go out of their way (esp. current scouts) to give him too much b/c they don't want other teams looking extra hard at players they are interested in</P>

i guess he was close to right on2009 and he noted Nicks as a real talent ... of course he always puts a caveat on it just in case the player doesn't pan out</P>

appodictic
05-02-2012, 09:42 PM
That draft with Jacob webster and osi was amazing. That could easy be one of the best drafts ever.

egyptian420
05-02-2012, 09:55 PM
ESPN's NFC East draft analysis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9EUq0PPRQU)

BlueSanta
05-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Ugh..... you say that now but I remember watching a press conference in 2007 where TC fielded numberous questions, many about Moss.

I suggested in these forums that his responses showed displeasure with Moss, and I have been flamed for my opinions on these boards before, but nothing even close to that. Ive never seen any draft selection be so over hyped by Giant fans.

The pure number of threads in these forums on Sinorice was astounding and quite annoying.

Saying he was hated is easy now, but a few years ago suggesting on these forums that he was anything other than the next Jerry Rice got you demoted to closet Cowboy fan status.

BigBlue1971
05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
someone sent this to me earlier today, so i cant take credit for the compilation, but be ready to laugh hard here... ------------------------------------------------------------ 2004: 1- Manning 2- Snee 4- Torbor 5- Gibril Wilson 6- Jamaar Taylor 7- Strojny Kiper: Quote: New York Giants: C+ It all hinges on Eli Manning and how he pans out. The Giants obviously felt he was significantly better than the other top quarterbacks or they would not have given up so much to get him. There will be tremendous pressure on him to make it all worth it, but Ernie Accorsi has a history of being a good judge of young quarterbacks, so it could all work out. Chris Snee was a solid pickup at guard but they did pass on Nat Dorsey, failing to upgrade the left tackle spot. Gibril Wilson was arguably the defensive MVP for Tennessee last season. 2005: 2- Webster 3- Tuck 4- Jacobs 6- Eric Moore Kiper: Quote: New York Giants: C Cornerback Corey Webster was slowed by nagging injuries last season but is a tremendous cover man when healthy and had a top-10 grade after his junior season. Justin Tuck is an okay end in the third round but should have gone back to Notre Dame, Brandon Jacobs should carve a niche as a power back and end Eric Moore is also an okay pick. The Giants just did not have enough selections to make a big impact on their football team. 2006: 1- Kiwanuka 2- Moss 3- Wilkinson 4- Cofield 4- Whimper 5- Peprah 7- Gerrick McPhearson Kiper: Quote: New York Giants: GRADE: C+ DE Mathias Kiwanuka was a reach late in the first round, but he will get a chance to learn from Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora. Getting WR Sinorice Moss in the second round was one of the best picks in the draft; he could be the deep threat the Giants' offense needs. Guy Whimper is a versatile offensive lineman and could have gone higher than the fourth round. 2007: 1- Ross 2- Steve Smith 3- Alford 4- DeOssie 5- Boss 6- Koets 7- Michael Johnson 7- Bradshaw Kiper: Quote: New York Giants: GRADE: C- I would have gone differently with the Giants’ draft. Cornerback Aaron Ross has very good ball skills but not great catchup speed. I was surprised they didn’t take left tackle Joe Staley because they need someone who can protect Eli Manning’s blind side. The Giants took offensive tackle Adam Koets in the sixth round and even passed on left tackle Jermon Bushrod. If they had taken Staley, they could have drafted Eric Wright from UNLV instead of WR Steve Smith. I would rather have had Staley and Wright, but Smith is a good receiver and will be someone who holds onto the ball. Zak DeOssie was a really good long snapper in college and, at worst, will be a backup linebacker in the NFL. Kevin Boss (fifth round) is a natural pass-catching tight end with speed and has a chance to make an impact in the passing game. Safety Michael Johnson was a good pick in the seventh round but needs to be more physical. 2008: 1- Phillips 2- T. Thomas 3- Manningham 4- Kehl 5- Goff 6- Woodson 6- Robert Henderson Kiper: Quote: New York Giants: GRADE: C+ I understand taking safety Kenny Phillips with the last pick in the first round. He had a great sophomore season in 2006. Terrell Thomas could be a No. 2 cornerback, but I thought that pick was just OK. Wide receiver Mario Manningham is worth a role of the dice in the third round because he has talent, but his stock dropped in the months leading up to the draft, with some teams viewing him as a late-round pick. Jonathan Goff was a good find in the fifth round, and the same can be said about Andre’ Woodson in Round 6. Defensive end Robert Henderson is just a marginal prospect. 2009: 1- Nicks 2- Stintim 2- Beatty 3- Barden 3- Beckum 4- Andre Brown 5- Bomar 6- Wright 7- Woodson Kiper: Quote: New York Giants: GRADE: B The selection of first-round wide receiver Hakeem Nicks could be a good one, but he really needs to keep his weight up to make an impact in the NFL. I like the selection of offensive tackle William Beatty in the second round and wide receiver Ramses Barden in the third round. They made some good selections late in the draft with running back Andre Brown in the fourth and the two defensive backs in the sixth and seventh rounds: DeAndre Wright and Stoney Woodson. Long story is, Kiper's not the draft grader to read..</P>

</P>

just these stats show Mel Kiper knows no more than anyone else about drafting players!</P>

hes watches tape of college players forms an opinion and gets paid to talk about it.</P>

anyone on this board can analyze players and make a prediction on how they will perform! </P>

and based onKipers stats herei dare say most on this board would be as successful as he would.</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
05-02-2012, 10:08 PM
The 2007 draft was rated C-, yet that draft is the reason we won the Superbowl

Coach Carter
05-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Great post!

Excellent post.

GreenZone
05-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Here's an idea for great drama on BSPN for next year's draft.

Have some live cameras go into the inner city and find a group of homeless people. Pay one of them handsome money to a) help them get off the streets; and b) this person would then go mano-a-mano against Kiper predicting who that was drafted makes the team roster.

That would be the boob tube at its finest...and a service to humanity.

rcrane082985
05-03-2012, 02:10 AM
The problem that I have with the Draft Grades, is that they dont seem to take into account the teams situation when its their turn to draft. They just seem to grade on what players you ended up with. So, they aren't grading on a teams ability to make decisions during the draft, but rather the results of the draft. Just seems pretty dumb, pointless, and not worth a thought really.

GOBIGBLUE52
05-04-2012, 12:42 AM
This is hilarious, but it only proves what Howard Cosell said best: Too much of a big deal is made of the NFL draft and it's a total crapshoot in the end.

giantsfan420
05-04-2012, 04:09 AM

"Three years from now you could certainly be looking at a guy who is certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league . . . Nobody has an arm like JaMarcus Russell. . .

Obviously, he'll need a little time. But you're talking about a 2-3-year period. Once he's under center, look out, because the skill level he has is certainly John Elway-like."

Here is his exact quote. LMMFAO!!!

hahaha. i remember that vividly. he was a cant miss prospect to kiper...i take anything he says with a grain of salt...so funny how he said s.moss was our best pick and a great one...

the guy is such a flip flopper, and when he doesn't do that, he always is so general and on the fence as a way to avoid putting himself in danger of being wrong, something he is usually anyways.

classic quote thank u for digging that up