PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' JERRY REESE SAYS DAVID WILSON WAS TOP PICK

RoanokeFan
05-01-2012, 10:15 PM
GIANTS' JERRY REESE SAYS DAVID WILSON WAS TOP PICK (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d828c9336/article/new-york-giants-jerry-reese-says-david-wilson-was-top-choice)

"New York Giants (/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG) general manager
Jerry Reese quashed speculation that the Super Bowl champions missed out on
Boise State running back Doug Martin when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (/teams/tampabaybuccaneers/profile?team=TB) moved
up to take him with the previous pick in the first round of the NFL draft.

<div id="yui_3_4_1_2_1335924700328_3609" class="articleText">

"There's been some conjecture that Tampa had moved up in front of us and took
Martin," Reese told WFAN Radio on Tuesday (http://nyc.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/d0/dE/dF/dW/10EFW_3.MP3?authtok=5561760239574585922_Se0vQJiGPq 47WckXQjvQdD3Co). "That's not true ... Martin would not
have been our pick."</p>

The Giants selected Virginia Tech running back David Wilson with the 32nd
pick, one choice after the Bucs took Martin, <a id="yui_3_4_1_2_1335924700328_3849" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d828a5f87" target="_blank">leading
analysts to speculate</a> that Tampa Bay jumped in front to nab the player New
York really wanted.</p>

"First of all, (Wilson) was the highest player on our board at the time that
we picked," Reese said. "That was an easy pick for us. It was a value and a need
pick for us, we thought."</p>

Reese said Martin was considered for their first-round pick but eventually
was rated lower than a few other players, including Wilson.</p>

Reese added that Ahmad Bradshaw (/players/ahmadbradshaw/profile?id=BRA254359) will
continue to be the Giants' top back and that they wanted to get another runner
after losing Brandon Jacobs (/players/brandonjacobs/profile?id=JAC705688) in free
agency.</p>

Bradshaw has <a id="yui_3_4_1_2_1335924700328_3852" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d828c4c77" target="_blank">embraced
Wilson</a>, saying he will treat him as his "project."</p></div>

logan9839
05-01-2012, 10:26 PM
In his interview after that picked he admitted that Wilson was his second choice. Not picking on JR, but he is doing the devils dance :-)

speedman
05-01-2012, 10:40 PM
He never said Wilson was his second choice. He said Wilson was the second highest rated back on their board in the draft.

jhamburg
05-01-2012, 10:41 PM
In his interview after that picked he admitted that Wilson was his second choice. Not picking on JR, but he is doing the devils dance :-)

He clearly meant 2nd after Richardson, not Martin. I don't think we'll ever know who was really higher on our board. FWIW I will say that I'm glad we got Wilson.

TheEnigma
05-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Even though you should always be skeptical of what a GM says (especially around draft time), Reese's previous record speaks for himself. Wilson does have superior measurables over Martin and we know that Reese is a guy who values natural, physical attributes like long arms, good frame, and backflips.

Giant stuck in Texas
05-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Even though you should always be skeptical of what a GM says (especially around draft time), Reese's previous record speaks for himself. Wilson does have superior measurables over Martin and we know that Reese is a guy who values natural, physical attributes like long arms, good frame, and <font size="5">backflips</font> . lmao.

giantsfan420
05-02-2012, 12:53 AM
martin may be the more ready nfl back and a more all around back right now...but wilson has elite measurables...in that regard martins not even in wilsons league

egyptian420
05-02-2012, 01:00 AM
They might have had Wilson ahead of Martin, but I don't think Wilson was as easy of a pick to make as Reese makes it seem like it was.

If that was the case we wouldn't have been on the clock as long as we were. We basically used every single second of the clock before making the final decision, leading me to believe it was a tough decision and there were a few guys in the conversation. Or maybe the report is actually true and Tampa threw our draft room in a fit, I guess we'll never know.

giantsfan420
05-02-2012, 01:03 AM
They might have had Wilson ahead of Martin, but I don't think Wilson was as easy of a pick to make as Reese makes it seem like it was.

If that was the case we wouldn't have been on the clock as long as we were. We basically used every single second of the clock before making the final decision, leading me to believe it was a tough decision and there were a few guys in the conversation. Or maybe the report is actually true and Tampa threw our draft room in a fit, I guess we'll never know.

they were apparently torn between wilson and randle...somehow they got both

jhamburg
05-02-2012, 01:31 AM

That makes no sense to me at all, there should never be anything to think about in the 1st round, you take the highest player on your board and that's that. You have months to think about who is ranked higher than who, you don't start arguing when you're on the clock. The only thing you should be doing at that point is maybe trying to work a trade.

BlueSanta
05-02-2012, 01:38 AM

That makes no sense to me at all, there should never be anything to think about in the 1st round, you take the highest player on your board and that's that. You have months to think about who is ranked higher than who, you don't start arguing when you're on the clock. The only thing you should be doing at that point is maybe trying to work a trade.

I have no idea what they were doing. But I know that if I was the last pick of the night, I would let the timer tick to see if anyone had any notions to trade up, just to hear out the offers. its not impossible to believe either. The Bucs traded up to 31, maybe the Giants thought they might also get a similar offer.

How quickly you pick is no indication of anything except that maybe your considering all your options and letting everyone else do it too since there will be about 20 hours till the next pick.

egyptian420
05-02-2012, 01:39 AM

Lol do you actually buy that? I know Randle was a huge steal where we got him and he should've been picked earlier. But do you actually think they would've took him in the first? I'm not buying it

PRFan
05-02-2012, 02:43 AM

I have no idea what they were doing. But I know that if I was the last pick of the night, I would let the timer tick to see if anyone had any notions to trade up, just to hear out the offers. its not impossible to believe either. The Bucs traded up to 31, maybe the Giants thought they might also get a similar offer.

How quickly you pick is no indication of anything except that maybe your considering all your options and letting everyone else do it too since there will be about 20 hours till the next pick.

THIS, he said they where waiting for offers and that they got a few but not enought to trade out of the pick...

giantsfan420
05-02-2012, 02:50 AM

Lol do you actually buy that? I know Randle was a huge steal where we got him and he should've been picked earlier. But do you actually think they would've took him in the first? I'm not buying it

lol i do actually think he was discussed at 32. dont think ross would lie bout that, maybe jr would posture on that but dont see why ross would...the giants liked RR, i'd imagine a few teams had 1rst round grades on him. at 32 he's basically an early 2nd...i dunno, thats just what they said...which is why i said they were apparently torn between wilson and randle...

i will say this, if randle had been the pick at 32, could u definitively say "that was a bad pick, we reached"???

i certainly wouldnt have.

giantsfan420
05-02-2012, 02:51 AM
for petes sake didnt the 9ers take aj jenkins from arkansas at 28 or 29???

RR HAD to have been graded higher on almost every teams draft board over him....

egyptian420
05-02-2012, 07:56 AM
for petes sake didnt the 9ers take aj jenkins from arkansas at 28 or 29???

RR HAD to have been graded higher on almost every teams draft board over him....
I agree with this but I honestly think he would've been a reach at 32...IMO he was the 4-5th best WR in the draft

The way I rated them was:
1- Justin Blackmon
2- Michael Floyd
3- Kendall Wright
4- Stephen Hill/Reuben Randle/Alshon Jeffery

nygsb42champs
05-02-2012, 08:06 AM
You have to believe in what JR said.

hadenough
05-02-2012, 08:08 AM

</P>

</P>

Why would you not use every second of the clock? What if you sent in your pick within30 sec. and a team wanted to trade with you but you rushed your pick and the team never was able to contact you? I think it's wise to use every second of the clock in the early rounds in case some team wants to give you a bunch of extra picks. No need to rush anything....you are given time...might as well use it.</P>

TuckYou
05-02-2012, 10:13 AM
We always seem to be in these comparisons on back to back picks in the 1st. So far Reese is 2 for 2 IMO, selecting Nicks over Britt in 2009 and JPP over Derek Morgan in 2010. He also took Phillips over Tyrell Johnson in 2008who was gaining steam at the time and Kiper actually doubted Reese's pick, saying Johnson would of been the better safety. Tyrell was selected a few picks later in the 2nd round by Minny. </P>

LT_was_good
05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
We always seem to be in these comparisons on back to back picks in the 1st. So far Reese is 2 for 2 IMO, selecting Nicks over Britt in 2009 and JPP over Derek Morgan in 2010. He also took Phillips over Tyrell Johnson in 2008who was gaining steam at the time and Kiper actually doubted Reese's pick, saying Johnson would of been the better safety. Tyrell was selected a few picks later in the 2nd round by Minny. </p>

Good points on Britt and Morgan. I thought the Giants were taking each of those guys when their picks came up.

OX1
05-02-2012, 12:58 PM
We basically used every single second of the clock before making the final decision, </P>

</P>

95% of that time was tryng to trade Osi.............[:D]</P>

egyptian420
05-02-2012, 01:09 PM
We basically used every single second of the clock before making the final decision, </p>

</p>

95% of that time was tryng to trade Osi.............[:D]</p>
lol

buddy33
05-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Reese has drafted Ross, KP, Nicks, JPP, and now Wilson.

Seems like he knows what he is doing.