PDA

View Full Version : IMO THE GIANTS WILL RE-SIGN OSI

NYGiantsFan56
05-02-2012, 12:22 AM
After listening to Reese today, I am convinced the Giants will resign Osi because they don't want a repeat of a "Plax-Type" situation from the 2008 season. We truly have a chance to repeat. As much as I think Osi is a jerk, he still is a Giant and a good player. If my memory serves me correct the Giants went through this with Strahan over his last contract. Like it or not Osi will retire a Giant. They will compromise.

ashleymarie
05-02-2012, 12:32 AM
What did Reese say exactly to convince you of this, if you don't mind my asking?

bELIeve_in_Giants
05-02-2012, 12:33 AM
They'll re-sign Osi to prevent him from shooting himself in the leg during the season under the existing contract?

GmenFan1980
05-02-2012, 12:40 AM
They'll re-sign Osi to prevent him from shooting himself in the leg during the season under the existing contract?

when you put it that way, they totally sound related to each other.....

NYGiantsFan56
05-02-2012, 12:41 AM
What did Reese say exactly to convince you of this, if you don't mind my asking?
Reese's interview today that was quoted in a New Jersey Star Ledger article:
"Iím not going to discuss Osiís contract situation with you guys. I can say this to you, though: the New York Giants are a better football team with Osi Umenyiora on our team," Reese said when Ruocco asked him if he has the urge to "throw (Umenyiora) a bone" for his years of production. "We respect him as a football player. Our goal is to have Osi play football with the New York Giants and retire as a Giant. That is what we would like to do first. All of our options are open as I have said before but Osi makes us a better football team, I do know that."
At that point, Smith interjected by serving less as questioner and more as judge and jury in asking Reese how he responded to "some of the erroneous things that came out of his mouth" about Reese.
"I donít carry grudges. That is the offseason, that is part of the job," Reese said. "In the offseason there is always some controversy about contracts. It is not just one person, it can be several different people with contract situations. That is part of my job, it is never personal, I donít think it is personal with respect to players and it definitely is not personal with respect to me. It is just part of the business."
Reese continued, "We will get through this and we will see what happens moving forward. It is part of the business. It is not a big problem for me to have guys say some things. I think sometimes some people say things that they obviously really donít mean. Everybody is trying to make as much money as they can for themselves and their families and everybody understands that and it is not personal."

Harooni
05-02-2012, 12:42 AM
please change thread title this is opinion not a fact

NYGiantsFan56
05-02-2012, 12:45 AM

true

NYGiantsFan56
05-02-2012, 12:47 AM

Now that I have changed it kindly offer up your opinion on this issue

ashleymarie
05-02-2012, 12:50 AM
TY

Neverend
05-02-2012, 12:59 AM
I hope they resign Osi.

He also seems willing to accept becoming a situational pass rusher 2 years from now... which is right where JPP will be hitting his peak I guess

ashleymarie
05-02-2012, 01:08 AM
After listening to Reese today, I am convinced the Giants will resign Osi because they don't want a repeat of a "Plax-Type" situation from the 2008 season. We truly have a chance to repeat. As much as I think Osi is a jerk, he still is a Giant and a good player. If my memory serves me correct the Giants went through this with Strahan over his last contract. Like it or not Osi will retire a Giant. They will compromise.</P>

</P>

When I read Reese's response I thought like you. But I also saw a "Maybe/Maybe Not" in there.</P>

Rat_bastich
05-02-2012, 01:16 AM
My opinion is that Reese is handling this like a professional by saying the right things. He can't show anyone that he will lose his cool and has to remain calm and in control. He is doing all the right things.

I do believe however that as said in many previous posts that Osi holds no leverage. As good of a player as he is, you can only throw so many DE's in a game at the same time. Reese will not allow the Giants to be held hostage and if this goes on well into the season Osi will not get the contract he wants as a Free Agent.

JJC7301
05-02-2012, 01:22 AM
After listening to Reese today, I am convinced the Giants will resign Osi because they don't want a repeat of a "Plax-Type" situation from the 2008 season. We truly have a chance to repeat. As much as I think Osi is a jerk, he still is a Giant and a good player. If my memory serves me correct the Giants went through this with Strahan over his last contract. Like it or not Osi will retire a Giant. They will compromise.
I sincerely hope so, as long as it won't prevent us from resigning JPP, Nicks, and Cruz in the near future.

Firenugget
05-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Nah. They would like to but Osi just wants too much imo. You can't squeeze blood from a stone as they say. If the money isn't available, it's not available. The only way we "extend" (it's not re-signing, he's under contract) Osi is if he takes much less than what he's been asking for.

miked1958
05-02-2012, 09:19 PM
I hope they resign Osi.

He also seems willing to accept becoming a situational pass rusher 2 years from now... which is right where JPP will be hitting his peak I guess
I second that

RoanokeFan
05-02-2012, 09:59 PM

LOL nicely done

RoanokeFan
05-02-2012, 10:03 PM
The reality is Reese has all the aces. Osi keeps turning down extension offers and Reese says, OK, see you in free agency, you're still under contract this season. Osi can't be seriously thinking about holding our for the entire season. He would cut his own throat or, God help me, shoot himself in the thigh!

miked1958
05-02-2012, 10:41 PM
The reality is Reese has all the aces.* Osi keeps turning down extension offers and Reese says, OK, see you in free agency, you're still under contract this season.* Osi can't be seriously thinking about holding our for the entire season.* He would cut his own throat or, God help me, shoot himself in the thigh!

Lol

buddy33
05-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I don't see Osi coming back after next year.

They can say they want him back, but they simply don't have the money to pay him what he wants especially when they have to worry about signing Tuck next year.

Dorothy
05-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Tom c also said that the Giants are a better team with Osi as part of it. Sounds like the powers that be got together on a pat reply when asked about Osi. who knows what they really mean.

CDN_G-FAN
05-03-2012, 08:53 PM

i think the proper way of phrasing this is Osi will sign the extension he's been offered.

this idea that we haven't tried to re-sign Osi isn't true, and while i don't begrudge Osi trying to get what he's worth, he's simply not worth what he thinks he is.

to stop the osi fan club from jumping all over me, he's an exceptional pass rusher that's been very valuable on our team.

but he's not worth what he wants to get paid, not with our cap situation and who we have to sign in the next 3 years.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2012, 09:14 PM

They can say they want him back, but they simply don't have the money to pay him what he wants especially when they have to worry about signing Tuck next year.

Could be, but that will depend on what Reese think he's worth at the end of this season.

Gimaniac
05-03-2012, 09:46 PM

Could be, but that will depend on what Reese think he's worth at the end of this season.

Or what other teams think he's worth at the end of this season. I doubt there is any team willing to pay the $10M per that Osi thinks he is worth.