PDA

View Full Version : My idea for the Pro Bowl

JMFP2
05-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Some of you older dudes probably remember Battle of the Network Stars..... </P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqWU9huMMco</P>

I think the NFL should go this route with ProBowl Players....make it NFC v AFC, and bust out some goofy competitions, with some serious cake going to the winning team.</P>

Examples:</P>

NFC QBs v AFC QBs in a huge game of Dodge Ball.</P>

WRs and CBs..... relay races.</P>

Runningbacks / LBs.....obstacle cources.</P>

Offensive/Defensive linemen...... tug of war.</P>

They could come up with some other crap as well, I'm sure.</P>

It would just be cool, and probably pretty funny, watching these guys compete in something off the wall, and without the risk of injury.</P>

</P>

</P>

zimonami
05-02-2012, 08:15 PM

I think the NFL should go this route with ProBowl Players....make it NFC v AFC, and bust out some goofy competitions, with some serious cake going to the winning team.</P>

It would just be cool, and probably pretty funny, watching these guys compete in something off the wall, and without the risk of injury.</P>

*</P>

*</P>
I think this is a great idea.
I thought of introducing them at halftime of the superbowl and pay for them and a guest to go to hawaii as reward... They could finish it with the kind of competition you mention.... very cool. I stopped watching this farce after the 1987 season. I watched after the '86 Pro Bowl game because Simms was in it...lol.

miked1958
05-02-2012, 08:49 PM

*</P>

*</P>
I think this is a great idea.
I thought of introducing them at halftime of the superbowl and pay for them and a guest to go to hawaii as reward... They could finish it with the kind of competition you mention.... very cool. I stopped watching this farce after the 1987 season. I watched after the '86 Pro Bowl game because Simms was in it...lol.
Can't be worse then the current format

titwio
05-02-2012, 09:07 PM
NFC QBs v AFC QBs in a huge game of Dodge Ball.

Wouldn't work...Dodge balls hurt and if thrown with enough velocity, will cause concussions. Roger Goodell...Does not approve.

WRs and CBs..... relay races. Runningbacks / LBs.....obstacle courses.

It works until one player tears a ham string resulting in a career ending injury in which the player proceeds to sue the NFL adding another lawsuit to list.

Roger Goodell...Does not approve.

Offensive/Defensive linemen...... tug of war.

More injuries, more lawsuits and once again, Roger Goodell....Does not approve.

BigBlueHits
05-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Along these lines I would get rid of the game completly. I would turn it into a huge "mini game" day.
You could for instance Have a QB....with 4 WRS with different colored jerseys. When a color pops up the QB hits that guy...or another color for less points. Have a Radar gun for fastest ball.
You can do this stuff for so many positions...pays each player that wins each compition.

GiantLife615
05-02-2012, 10:46 PM
LOL, yeah thats what we want, Eli getting hurt during a game of dodgeball.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Instead of actually playing football, from now on we should develop people to play specific positions at Madden and broadcast it live on Fox on Sundays. Injury problem solved.

FBomb
05-02-2012, 11:02 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

I like this idea a lot! I had been thinking about what they could do as well, and I thought there should be some fan interaction too.</P>

Toadofsteel
05-02-2012, 11:07 PM
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!

http://www.sportsrubbish.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/dodge-wrench-dodge-ball.jpg

fizzlestick
05-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Instead of actually playing football, from now on we should develop people to play specific positions at Madden and broadcast it live on Fox on Sundays. Injury problem solved.

Carpal Tunnel is serious business.

appodictic
05-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Can the players all just play themselves on one big game of madden? on the dallas big screen.

TheEnigma
05-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Maybe I'm the only one who never liked the Pro Bowl? Instead of some game, just keep the award but do a better and more thorough job at who earns the selections. Probably should remove fan vote since majority just vote for the popular names.

GiantLife615
05-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Whoever wins the MVP, his team earns an extra 2nd round draft pick.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-03-2012, 12:47 AM

Carpal Tunnel is serious business.

most of us get that by the time we retire anyway

SweetZombieJesus
05-03-2012, 09:54 AM
That's actually a good idea... I think it should be played at the Hall of Fame inductions.

jhamburg
05-03-2012, 10:24 AM
I vote for spelling bee

JMFP2
05-03-2012, 02:21 PM
I vote for spelling bee

All joking aside, that would be pretty damn funny!

Right now, the game itself is a joke, and watching Jared Allen slow waltzing is a ****ing insult to anyone who enjoys the game.

I'd much rather watch Tony Romo try to drill Philip Rivers in a game of Dodge Ball.

Like I said, throw some serious cash in a pot, and make it fun and profitable for the players.

And FBomb had a good idea about fan interaction....if you could work the fans into the mix (without getting anyone hurt), it could be great entertainment.

Either way, the Pro Bowl game itself is a waste of time....instead of getting rid of the day, try somethnig different first.

The players might actually enjoy doing it, if they knew they were getting paid.

greenca190
05-03-2012, 02:25 PM

Wouldn't work...Dodge balls hurt and if thrown with enough velocity, will cause concussions. Roger Goodell...Does not approve.

It works until one player tears a ham string resulting in a career ending injury in which the player proceeds to sue the NFL adding another lawsuit to list.

Yeah, have you seen those offensive linemen? It's not like they wash dishes for a living or something. Their hands aren't callused enough to handle rope burns.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2012, 02:31 PM
As long as there's not a pretend football game I don't care what they do. That whole process, giving fans a vote, has been reduced to little more than a beauty pageant.

JMFP2
05-03-2012, 02:33 PM

Yeah, have you seen those offensive linemen? It's not like they wash dishes for a living or something. Their hands aren't callused enough to handle rope burns.

Those lineman are generally big old country boys....I think they'd do fine in a tug of war.

greenca190
05-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Those lineman are generally big old country boys....I think they'd do fine in a tug of war.

How did you not see the joke in that? Like, I understand it's tough to read sarcasm on the internet and all, and I didn't put it in red. But I'm seriously wondering how many chromosomes you have right now.

Redeyejedi
05-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Dress them in fatigues put them in the woods and let them play Paintball

JMFP2
05-03-2012, 02:37 PM

How did you not see the joke in that? Like, I understand it's tough to read sarcasm on the internet and all, and I didn't put it in red. But I'm seriously wondering how many chromosomes you have right now.

Enough chromosones to know that failure to pick up sarcasm isn't a big deal to me.

greenca190
05-03-2012, 02:40 PM

Enough chromosones to know that failure to pick up sarcasm isn't a big deal to me.

Haha, touche. Carry on, boys. Carry on.

titwio
05-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Dress them in fatigues put them in the woods and let them play Paintball

They'll shoot their eyes out.

burier
05-03-2012, 04:20 PM

*</P>

*</P>

No one wants to see football players play dodge ball or run relay races or play hopscotch. People want to watch football players play football.

I think the general idea of bringing back the skills competitions and maybe putting some real money behind it so its not a total joke is the best way to go.

JMFP2
05-03-2012, 05:04 PM

*</P>

*</P>

No one wants to see football players....
run relay races

They said the same thing about Gabe Kaplan....and they were wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3712343

G-Man67
05-03-2012, 05:10 PM
ha, yeah im on board with getting creative here</P>

b/c we do want to see these star players competing</P>

so, yeah let them take the helmets off and do some fun things that still involve competition</P>

im thinking JPP would be fairly good a dodge ball [:)] ... of course, he wont be involved in Pro Bowl activities [;)]</P>

burier
05-03-2012, 05:14 PM

*</P>

*</P>

No one wants to see football players....
run relay races

They said the same thing about Gabe Kaplan....and they were wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3712343

Who???

Anyway its not the same thing and football players running way from a kickball will be a joke.

TrueBlue@NYC
05-03-2012, 05:15 PM

*</P>

*</P>

No one wants to see football players play dodge ball or run relay races or play hopscotch. People want to watch football players play football.

I think the general idea of bringing back the skills competitions and maybe putting some real money behind it so its not a total joke is the best way to go.

I agree, focus on it being a skills event type of deal. The NBA skills competitions are just as popular as their all-star game, heck I think their dunk contest is probably more watched than the game itself.

They already have alot of skills competition things as part of the event, or at least they used to.

I remember they had a bench press, pass catching tree that was timed, the QB's had a throwing for distance thing. Those were pretty fun, but they werent promoted at all.

burier
05-03-2012, 05:19 PM

*</P>

*</P>

I agree, focus on it being a skills event type of deal. The NBA skills competitions are just as popular as their all-star game, heck I think their dunk contest is probably more watched than the game itself.

They already have alot of skills competition things as part of the event, or at least they used to.

I remember they had a bench press, pass catching tree that was timed, the QB's had a throwing for distance thing. Those were pretty fun, but they werent promoted at all.

I think they got rid of all that cool stuff a few years back for shame.

They should bring it back. We don't need to see that crappy game anymore but they should bring back the skills.

JMFP2
05-03-2012, 05:24 PM

*</P>

*</P>

They should bring it back. We don't need to see that crappy game anymore but they should bring back the skills.

The NFL should poll the players and fans on what they'd like to see.

I wouldn't be suprised if players would be into some otherwise goofy stuff. Guys like Aaron Rodgers seem to have good senses of humor, and I bet they would do some unconventional stuff for the sake of having a good time.

Maybe they could have a ton of different activities and players could sign up for whatever they wanted to do.

They should name a "Pro Bowl Team", and then have an "NFC v. AFC Competition".......the Pro Bowlers would get first priority on doing what they wanted.....then alternates., etc.....I'd invite all NFL Players to be able to participate in the events, if possible.

Hell, coaches could go for it as well.

Andy Reid v. BJ Raji in a hot dog eating contest?.....I'd watch that.

If I were Roger Goodell, I'd approach Rich Eisen about putting it together.....I bet he'd throw something together that would be a riot to watch.

burier
05-04-2012, 11:44 AM

*</P>

*</P>

I wouldn't be suprised if players would be into some otherwise goofy stuff. Guys like Aaron Rodgers seem to have good senses of humor, and I bet they would do some unconventional stuff for the sake of having a good time.

Maybe they could have a ton of different activities and players could sign up for whatever they wanted to do.

They should name a "Pro Bowl Team", and then have an "NFC v. AFC Competition".......the Pro Bowlers would get first priority on doing what they wanted.....then alternates., etc.....I'd invite all NFL Players to be able to participate in the events, if possible.

If I were Roger Goodell, I'd approach Rich Eisen about putting it together.....I bet he'd throw something together that would be a riot to watch.

If they want to have hotdog eating contests let MTV produce and air it and that's fine. I wouldn't watch it but I dont see any problem with it as long as it has nothing to do with the probowl.

football fans want to see the best players in the league gather to compete together and against one another in football or at things related to football.

I don't think making a mockery of players and coaches by making the fat ones eat disgusting quantities of mystery meat is the look the NFL is going for.

JimC
05-04-2012, 02:15 PM
<font color="#0000FF" size="5">How about a chess tournament? </font>[;)]

titwio
05-04-2012, 02:56 PM
<font color="#0000FF" size="5">How about a chess tournament? </font>[;)]

Too risky.

"e.g."....see Bobby Fischer.

JMFP2
05-04-2012, 05:32 PM

*</P>

*</P>

If they want to have hotdog eating contests let MTV produce and air it and that's fine. I wouldn't watch it but I dont see any problem with it as long as it has nothing to do with the probowl.

football fans want to see the best players in the league gather to compete together and against one another in football or at things related to football.

I don't think making a mockery of players and coaches by making the fat ones eat disgusting quantities of mystery meat is the look the NFL is going for.

Fans have all season to watch football.

My point is to replace an utterly neutered game (The Prowl Bowl) with events that might be fun to watch.

I'd much rather watch a REAL competition - not matter how goofy - than watch a FAKE game....which is what the Pro Bowl has become.

gmen46
05-04-2012, 06:52 PM

*</P>

*</P>

Why would it be more entertaining to replace one un watchable program with another one even more un watchable?

Now, if you're talking converting the crushingly boring days of Combine drills into various competitions, you may be onto something. At least that would be more indicative of a prospect's ability to fit onto a "team" than are the current individual drills.

pino
05-04-2012, 08:06 PM

*</P>

*</P>

</P>

I like this idea a lot!* I had been thinking about what they could do as well, and I thought there should be some fan interaction too.*</P>

And hot celebrity chicks. Maybe cheerleader mud wrestling. Okay, okay...cheerleading vollyball?

JMFP2
05-04-2012, 09:01 PM

Why would it be more entertaining to replace one un watchable program with another one even more un watchable? Now, if you're talking converting the crushingly boring days of Combine drills into various competitions, you may be onto something. At least that would be more indicative of a prospect's ability to fit onto a "team" than are the current individual drills.</P>

I suppose it is in the eye of the beholder. Some people might tune out, others might check it out.</P>

I think the current spot - Super Bowl bye week - is a good one.</P>

JMFP2
05-04-2012, 09:01 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

I like this idea a lot! I had been thinking about what they could do as well, and I thought there should be some fan interaction too.</P>

And hot celebrity chicks. Maybe cheerleader mud wrestling. Okay, okay...cheerleading vollyball?</P>

</P>

I can think of no reason to exclude cheerleaders.....the more, the meerier.</P>