PDA

View Full Version : What about Scott ?

jints1964
05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Since we drafted Wilson this board has people talking about the tandem of AB and Wilson. Believe me I want to see Wilson play this year, (as long as they work on his ball control). He looked good on tape and I think he can be a potent return man. This guy looks like he's in fast forward on the tapes. But what happened to Scott ? I wanted to see more of him last year. I think he may be ready this year to step in.
So who's the tandem going to be AB with Scott and some Wilson ? Yes I did leave out Ware. Your ideas on this.

JMFP2
05-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Since we drafted Wilson this board has people talking about the tandem of AB and Wilson. Believe me I want to see Wilson play this year, (as long as they work on his ball control). He looked good on tape and I think he can be a potent return man. This guy looks like he's in fast forward on the tapes. But what happened to Scott ? I wanted to see more of him last year. I think he may be ready this year to step in.
So who's the tandem going to be AB with Scott and some Wilson ? Yes I did leave out Ware. Your ideas on this.

I think Scott can become a major force on special teams, and could definitely challenge for the #3 roster spot.

But, unless he steps up, DJ Ware will remain ahead of him, and for good reason....Ware is unspectacular, but very steady.

With Scott, we saw flashes in the preseason, and fumbles in the regular season, so it's really difficult to get a bead on the kid.

I was a huge Scott cheerleader when Jacobs and Bradshaw was struggling, and then the put the kid in and he coughed up the ball.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM

I think Scott can become a major force on special teams, and could definitely challenge for the #3 roster spot.

But, unless he steps up, DJ Ware will remain ahead of him, and for good reason....Ware is unspectacular, but very steady.

With Scott, we saw flashes in the preseason, and fumbles in the regular season, so it's really difficult to get a bead on the kid.

I was a huge Scott cheerleader when Jacobs and Bradshaw was struggling, and then the put the kid in and he coughed up the ball.

If there's one thing I disagree with TC about it's the "fumble doghouse." I understand he wants to make sure we don't give the ball away, but every player who fumbles sits on the bench for extended periods of time before getting field time in games.

Still, it's his ship and we all know how much a fumble can cost.

nygsb42champs
05-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I would love to see more of him. With Bradshaw, Wilson and Scott we have spped and power. I do not want to see DJ Ware anymore. He has had his.

C1010
05-03-2012, 01:15 PM
I would like to see Scott more involved. They should bring back Earth, Wind, and Fire. Having AB, Wilson, and Scott/Ware run wild would be cool. In general our O line will need to improve though.

JMFP2
05-03-2012, 01:17 PM

If there's one thing I disagree with TC about it's the "fumble doghouse."* I understand he wants to make sure we don't give the ball away, but every player who fumbles sits on the bench for extended periods of time before getting field time in games.

Yeah, it's tough. You see that with guys like Coughlin, Parcells, Belichick.....Parcells went with OJ Anderson in part because of ball security.

sg92
05-03-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm more excited about Wilson than Scott. Though they are both fast, Wilson's balance and drive make him a special runner.

Maryland fans were not particularly enamored with Scott, and his production was lower than Wilson's (senior year comparison: 700 rushing yards in 13 games vs. 1700 rushing yards in 14 games).

That said, their efficiency was quite comparable, and in some areas Scott was better -- Scott averaged 5.8 ypc, while Wilson averaged 5.9 ypc. Scott actually had higher TD efficiency (5 TDs on 122 carries to Wilson's had 9 TDs on 290 carries).

Scott was also a more effective receiver (14 catches, 170 yds, 3 TD's) than Wilson (22 catches, 129 yds, 1 TD).

Not sure all these numbers are really comparable because they played for different teams. Scott's carries were probably lower because Maryland was often playing from behind -- and this could have helped his yardage efficiency and receptions. But since both were in the ACC, they were playing against the same competition....

So, though I'm more excited by Wilson, I was surprised to see that Scott's college numbers can support an argument that he belongs in the conversation....

RoanokeFan
05-03-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm more excited about Wilson than Scott. Though they are both fast, Wilson's balance and drive make him a special runner.

Maryland fans were not particularly enamored with Scott, and his production was lower than Wilson's (senior year comparison: 700 rushing yards in 13 games vs. 1700 rushing yards in 14 games).

That said, their efficiency was quite comparable, and in some areas Scott was better -- Scott averaged 5.8 ypc, while Wilson averaged 5.9 ypc. Scott actually had higher TD efficiency (5 TDs on 122 carries to Wilson's had 9 TDs on 290 carries).

Scott was also a more effective receiver (14 catches, 170 yds, 3 TD's) than Wilson (22 catches, 129 yds, 1 TD).

Not sure all these numbers are really comparable because they played for different teams. Scott's carries were probably lower because Maryland was often playing from behind -- and this could have helped his yardage efficiency and receptions. But since both were in the ACC, they were playing against the same competition....

So, though I'm more excited by Wilson, I was surprised to see that Scott's college numbers can support an argument that he belongs in the conversation....

Scott has had some chances and hasn't taken the best advantage. However, in a season with no real activity until training camp I think we have to wait and see.

Living in Hokie Land, I have to say his followers here say the GIANTS struck it rich with the two VT players we drafted.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2012, 01:27 PM

If there's one thing I disagree with TC about it's the "fumble doghouse." I understand he wants to make sure we don't give the ball away, but every player who fumbles sits on the bench for extended periods of time before getting field time in games.

Yeah, it's tough. You see that with guys like Coughlin, Parcells, Belichick.....Parcells went with OJ Anderson in part because of ball security.

In fairness to TC, his hard stance has been a positive force for Barber and Bradshaw.

greenca190
05-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Wilson seems very coach-able to me. I have tremendous respect for college guys that could pretty much go anywhere coming out of high school, but decide to go to a place with tradition and a coach that they know will make them better. Beamer comes off as much in the realm of Coughlin.

JMFP2
05-03-2012, 01:40 PM

If there's one thing I disagree with TC about it's the "fumble doghouse."* I understand he wants to make sure we don't give the ball away, but every player who fumbles sits on the bench for extended periods of time before getting field time in games.

In fairness to TC, his hard stance has been a positive force for Barber and Bradshaw.

Bradshaw still scares me (just ask any SF fan....sore subject for them...LOL).

buddy33
05-03-2012, 01:44 PM
As of now it's Bradshaw, Ware, and Scott. Everyone gets happy around draft time and forgets about the guys they drafted last year.

By the start of the season the 1-3 at RB could look very different. I think it will most likely be Bradshaw, Ware, and either Scott or Wilson. That is unless someone goes off in pre season. People seem to not like Ware, butbinget the feeling the coaches love him.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Bradshaw still scares me (just ask any SF fan....sore subject for them...LOL).

He seems to not want to give up balance for ball security at times. Those are the moments when my balls are headed for mu socks

RoanokeFan
05-03-2012, 01:50 PM
As of now it's Bradshaw, Ware, and Scott. Everyone gets happy around draft time and forgets about the guys they drafted last year.

By the start of the season the 1-3 at RB could look very different. I think it will most likely be Bradshaw, Ware, and either Scott or Wilson. That is unless someone goes off in pre season. People seem to not like Ware, butbinget the feeling the coaches love him.

I tend to agree unless Wilson lights things up between now and opening day. Great problem to have so many potential starters.

B-Red22
05-03-2012, 02:42 PM
i think Scott is about to be handed the #3 spot, i'm tired of Ware getting chances and not doing anything with it

JesseJames
05-03-2012, 05:10 PM

wasn't it Parcells who said that a player who fumbles plays for another team and not his...

miked1958
05-03-2012, 09:58 PM
I think with the ankles of AB u just never know how it will play out and how many games he might miss due to those ankles.

miked1958
05-03-2012, 09:59 PM
With that said I think Wilson and Scott will both get extended playing time at some point this season

TuckYou
05-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Wilson wont play much right away. He might even have Scotts role this year, backing up AB, Ware. Wilson needs to work on his blocking and ball control before he gets chances.

bearbryant
05-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Barring injuries: AB, Ware, Scott, wilson. Ware has proven himself to be a consistent performer who does his job wel, w/o flash and no fumbles. Lets see whay our new boys can do