PDA

View Full Version : UMENYIORA REPLACING SUGGS UNLIKELY

RoanokeFan
05-03-2012, 04:14 PM
UMENYIORA REPLACING SUGGS UNLIKELY (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828d6ef2/article/osi-umenyiora-replacing-terrell-suggs-is-unlikely)

"It's not hard to connect the dots following TerrellSuggs' <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1336075810375_3909" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d828aeae5" target="_blank">torn Achilles'
tendon injury</a>.

The BaltimoreRavens <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1336075810375_3910" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d828d650c/" target="_blank">need a pass
rusher</a>, and New York Giants (/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG) general manager
Jerry Reese sounded like he was open to the possibility of trading Osi Umenyiora (/players/osiumenyiora/profile?id=UME444955) in comments
made after the draft. To make it even juicier, The Baltimore Sun and the New
York Daily News reported last year that the Ravens showed interest in Umenyiora
for a possible trade.</p>

</p>

Sounds like a match made in speculation heaven, right? Not exactly.</p>

The Giants didn't trade Umenyiora last year because teams like the Ravens
balked at New York's first-round asking price. The Giants likely received calls
on Umenyiora during the draft, but again, no one made an offer Reese couldn't
refuse.</p>

It's not in Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome's DNA to give up high future draft picks.
Umenyiora is especially costly because he would require a big long-term deal to
make the trade sensible. (And the Ravens are tight to the salary cap.) There
also are questions about how he'd fit in the 3-4 defense. Newsome probably has
more confidence in his young pass rushers than the average Ravens fan.</p>

The biggest obstacle of all here: The Giants aren't motivated sellers. They
have Umenyiora under contract at a low price. He's valuable to them, and they
can live through a little offseason drama. After all, they have done it plenty
of times before.</p>

Umenyiora-to-Baltimore makes sense on message boards, but we suspect the
speculation will end there."</p>

JesseJames
05-03-2012, 05:04 PM
every thing in this article makes sense but the Ravens do need a good proven pass rusher and right now I think Osi is at the top of the list of those available...

RoanokeFan
05-03-2012, 06:00 PM
every thing in this article makes sense but the Ravens do need a good proven pass rusher and right now I think Osi is at the top of the list of those available...

Maybe, but why would we trade him?

XxBigWhitxX
05-03-2012, 06:07 PM

Because the Ravens are gonna be desperate for a pass rusher to "win now" not knowing how much longer they'll have Lewis and Reed. Desperation is the ultimate weapon when trading.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-03-2012, 06:07 PM

That means that the Giants are more able to get a ransom for him. The Giants see this as a win/win. Baltimore gives them the kitchen sink, or they keep Umenyiora for this year under contract and if he performs well (as he should want to since it is his contract year), they tag him or something and he has to stay an extra year or they let him walk or they trade him while he is tagged. There are A LOT of options when it comes to Osi, and it seems like Baltimore needs Osi more than the Giants do (though the Giants do need him) which makes them desperate and more likely to give up more.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2012, 06:14 PM

Because the Ravens are gonna be desperate for a pass rusher to "win now" not knowing how much longer they'll have Lewis and Reed. Desperation is the ultimate weapon when trading.

What can they offer the GIANTS now that the draft is over? Don't say pick(s) next year because that doesn't do anything for us in the attempt to repeat.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-03-2012, 06:22 PM

What can they offer the GIANTS now that the draft is over?* Don't say pick(s) next year because that doesn't do anything for us in the attempt to repeat.

The Shockey picks didn't help us the following year (or ever for that matter)

RoanokeFan
05-03-2012, 06:26 PM

What can they offer the GIANTS now that the draft is over? Don't say pick(s) next year because that doesn't do anything for us in the attempt to repeat.

I could be way off base here, but I think Reese &amp; Co. believe we can repeat and they aren't about to let Osi go anywhere while he's under contract.

Gimaniac
05-03-2012, 06:46 PM
"They have Umenyiora under contract at a low price. He's valuable to them, and they can live through a little offseason drama."

This^

THE_New_York_Giants
05-03-2012, 06:49 PM

What can they offer the GIANTS now that the draft is over?* Don't say pick(s) next year because that doesn't do anything for us in the attempt to repeat.

I could be way off base here, but I think Reese & Co. believe we can repeat and they aren't about to let Osi go anywhere while he's under contract.

I agree

NYGRealityCheck
05-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Besides high draft picks for next season, who/what would the Baltimore Ravens have that the Giants would want in return If this Osi trade would happen?

Ray lewis? too old...
Ray Rice? Just spent a first round draft pick on RB Dave Wilson.
Ed Reed? too old...
Joe Flacco? No way. All set with Eli.
WRs? CBs? Nope all set there as well..
Ngata? Just signed Shaun Rodgers. L. Joseph, Canty, M. Austin, etc... all set...

Redeyejedi
05-03-2012, 08:45 PM

I could be way off base here, but I think Reese & Co. believe we can repeat and they aren't about to let Osi go anywhere while he's under contract.
I agree

THE_New_York_Giants
05-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Besides high draft picks for next season, who/what would the Baltimore Ravens have that the Giants would want in return If this Osi trade would happen?

Ray lewis? too old...
Ed Reed? too old...
Ngata? Just signed Shaun Rodgers. L. Joseph, Canty, M. Austin, etc... all set...
I would trade Osi for Ngata in a heartbeat. Just saying.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-03-2012, 08:54 PM

Ray lewis? too old...
Ed Reed? too old...

RoanokeFan
05-03-2012, 09:04 PM

Ray lewis? too old...
Ed Reed? too old...

We are far better off with as many players who are familiar with our system as we can muster.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-03-2012, 10:00 PM

Ray lewis? too old...
Ed Reed? too old...

We are far better off with as many players who are familiar with our system as we can muster.

Ngata is 3 years younger than Osi and arguably the best interior lineman in the league. Ngata for Osi would be a steal.

NY_Eli
05-04-2012, 08:29 AM
I think the problem is the Giants can't afford to pay someone who is similar in talent level to Osi because they can't afford to pay Osi!

If they could afford a player like Ray Rice they wouldn't be in this dilemma to begin with.

If a trade were to happen a good draft pick would have to be the number 1 incentive

OsiStrahan#1combo
05-04-2012, 08:39 AM

I dont see osi in a 3-4 Defense. I mean he can possibly do what suggs did BUT.. Osi been doing his thing for 8 years or so.. Suggs did his thing for 8 years as well.. its hard, to my eyes, to just do something different.

FroZeNx31x
05-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Osi will not holdout this year, he is playing for money next season and needs to show teams what he's worth. Trading Osi to any other team that we may potentially meet in the playoffs is ridiculous.
I dont speak on the Osi drama too often because i know its a waste of time. The ravens took a big hit with the Suggs injury but that's the reason they have backups, someone will have to step up for them.

JesseJames
05-04-2012, 09:40 AM

because we'll probably lose him after this season anyway and get just a comp pick for him but dealing him now with a team in need like the Ravens puts us in a position we won't be in next year and most likely we'll just see Osi walk ...

JesseJames
05-04-2012, 09:40 AM

bec

this thing doubled posted on me, sorry..

RoanokeFan
05-04-2012, 10:44 AM

because we'll probably lose him after this season anyway and get just a comp pick for him but dealing him now with a team in need like the Ravens puts us in a position we won't be in next year and most likely we'll just see Osi walk ...

We need to try to repeat so Osi is going to help us with that. After that he's a free agent and can test those waters.

thomsoad
05-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Since this is pure speculation anyways.

Only way this deal gets done for the Ravens is by way of trading of players. Ravens are too close to the salary cap to bring on someone of Osi contract demands (though justifiably so).

That being said...Ngata for Osi really is the only way I see the Ravens aquiring Osi.

As GM of the Ravens...i dont think i would pull this trigger. But as a Giant fan i also recognize that I come from a position of just winning a SB.

How would we feel if we havent won a SB in 12 years, barely lost the NFC Championship last year, and we now just lose JPP for the season? What would we do in that situation? Would we pull the trigger for a chance to go to the SB?

B&RWarrior
05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Osi aint going nowhere! JR's got him for the low. this year. Why the hell would we give him a front loaded contract then trade him when it cost us the least. We can win it all next year why trade a guy that can be as big an impact player as Osi?

I like how the writer observed that JR and the FO could care less if Osi cries and whines b/c the value is toogood to just give up and he is too good trade for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

G-Man67
05-04-2012, 02:21 PM
if they we're a 4-3 team, then i could see it ... but how can they give up next year's 1st to rent Osi for a year and have to wonder about how he would adapt to the 3-4

titwio
05-04-2012, 02:41 PM
if they we're a 4-3 team, then i could see it ... but how can they give up next year's 1st to rent Osi for a year and have to wonder about how he would adapt to the 3-4

The Ravens run a lot of 4-3 also and Suggs played a hybrid mixture of DE/LB.

XxBigWhitxX
05-04-2012, 02:55 PM

The Ravens run a lot of 4-3 also and Suggs played a hybrid mixture of DE/LB.Thank you! People don't know that while they are put down as a "3-4" team they run lots of 4-3 formations as well. I think Osi could play a 3-4 OLB. He has the speed and agility with good size as well and if he really tried he could set an edge in the run game.

Redeyejedi
05-04-2012, 03:24 PM
We play the Ravens this year as well another reason this wont happen

RoanokeFan
05-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Ray lewis? too old...
Ed Reed? too old...

Ngata is 3 years younger than Osi and arguably the best interior lineman in the league. Ngata for Osi would be a steal.

That's what everyone thought about Haynesworth with the Redskins.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-04-2012, 03:47 PM

Ray lewis? too old...
Ed Reed? too old...

That's what everyone thought about Haynesworth with the Redskins.*

THe difference is that everyone knew Haynesworth was a head case with a poor work ethic. Ngata is a team guy and he got paid and he performed even better.

RoanokeFan
05-04-2012, 03:51 PM

Ray lewis? too old...
Ed Reed? too old...

THe difference is that everyone knew Haynesworth was a head case with a poor work ethic. Ngata is a team guy and he got paid and he performed even better.

Anything can happen, but I'd say the odds of us getting rid of Osi post-draft are not very good.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-04-2012, 04:48 PM

Ray lewis? too old...
Ed Reed? too old...

Anything can happen, but I'd say the odds of us getting rid of Osi post-draft are not very good.

I agree, but the poster said trade Osi for Ngata and you said no. IMHO, if that offer was on the table from Baltimore, you'd be crazy not to take it. That is a vast overpayment. Osi isn't going anywhere but hypothetically if Osi for Ngata is on the table, there is no way in hell Reese doesn't pull the trigger. It's essentially trading 2 apples for 3 of the same apples.

B&RWarrior
05-04-2012, 05:32 PM

Ray lewis? too old...
Ed Reed? too old...

I agree, but the poster said trade Osi for Ngata and you said no. IMHO, if that offer was on the table from Baltimore, you'd be crazy not to take it. That is a vast overpayment. Osi isn't going anywhere but hypothetically if Osi for Ngata is on the table, there is no way in hell Reese doesn't pull the trigger. It's essentially trading 2 apples for 3 of the same apples.

Ngata for Osi wouldn't happen if Ozzie was under gunpoint. They line Ngata up at DE and DT. Arguably the best DL when you account for his ability to play multiple positions at such a high level. We would give Osi and Kiwi up for Ngata (I'm jokng...sort of).

RoanokeFan
05-04-2012, 05:34 PM

Ray lewis? too old...
Ed Reed? too old...

I'm still not convinced bringing in a new veteran to replace Osi is: a) affordable, b) best for us as a team

Martin
05-04-2012, 05:45 PM

and to add to that Osi's only recourse is to play at high level this season to create the most value for himself in FA the following year.

Reese has him by the balls and theres not much he can do but play and play well if he
wants some kind of decent pay day in 2013/2014 season.

Giant in Dallas
05-04-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm sure the Ravens would rather see what Sergio Kindle and newly drafted Courtney Upshaw can bring to the team rather than trading for Osi.

JJC7301
05-05-2012, 12:20 AM

I'm not trading him, not even for a 1st because even a 1st rounder could be a bust. We're trying to repeat, so I keep Osi for at least this year. If he walks next year, then draft another DE in '13.

If I were going to trade him I would have done it already before the '12 draft. I would not do it now.