PDA

View Full Version : David Wilson-Shotgun Runs

giantsfan39
05-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Do shotgun runs finally become effective again? The David wilson pick was a great one imo. And to me this shows we want to remain a passing team.W e want a guy who can take it to the house instead of a Jacobs type to pound it 4-5 yards at a time. A guy who will be able to catch short passes and take them for 6. Also we like the shotgun. With Wilson shotgun won't mean a pass because he is just as effective out of the shotgun as when he is lined up behind the QB.

I think our offense with Wilson, Randle, Adrien Robinson and Benett (and Beatty who is good in pass protection) will be more explosive than ever. 30 points per game average wouldn't surprise me.

B&RWarrior
05-04-2012, 06:05 PM
The shotgun inside hand off may be the most overused play we have in the playbook. I hate it.

FroZeNx31x
05-04-2012, 06:13 PM
The shotgun inside hand off may be the most overused play we have in the playbook. I hate it.

I agree, it was over used, but i don't hate it. With Wilson back there we can definitely make it more effective. Wilson has the vision to make his own holes, when Bradshaw wears down the defense those shotgun draws with Wilson can hit for 6 easily.

giantsfan39
05-04-2012, 06:16 PM

It was a staple when Ward was here. It is only stupid to run if you don't have a HB who can run it. With our passing offense and Wilson it will be a great play imo.

TuckYou
05-04-2012, 07:01 PM
The shotgun inside hand off may be the most overused play we have in the playbook. I hate it.</P>

Hey, don't know Gilbrides 2 point conversion offense.... lol. </P>

Agreed though. "Hey look, its 2nd down, wonder what we are going to do out of the shotgun?"</P>

JPP
05-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Keeps the defense honest. Not every play is gonna be a genius one you need some of those pass' on short yardage or runs in the shotgun. It becomes worth it when you finally break that defense and lets face it sometimes the players just need to go out there and win their assignment or it doesn't matter what play you pick.

RagTime Blue
05-04-2012, 08:36 PM
It seems like we most often used that run on 3rd and VERY long (more than 10).

It's not a great way to get a first down (which is why we all hate it), but it's an easy 5+ yards added to a 4th down punt.

JMFP2
05-04-2012, 09:03 PM
The shotgun inside hand off may be the most overused play we have in the playbook. I hate it.</P>

It's possibly the most predictable play in the NFL.</P>

My son's first few words were "shotgun draw again?"</P>

B&RWarrior
05-04-2012, 11:59 PM

It's possibly the most predictable play in the NFL.</P>

My son's first few words were "shotgun draw again?"</P>

funny

JJC7301
05-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Do shotgun runs finally become effective again? The David wilson pick was a great one imo. And to me this shows we want to remain a passing team.W e want a guy who can take it to the house instead of a Jacobs type to pound it 4-5 yards at a time. A guy who will be able to catch short passes and take them for 6. Also we like the shotgun. With Wilson shotgun won't mean a pass because he is just as effective out of the shotgun as when he is lined up behind the QB.

I think our offense with Wilson, Randle, Adrien Robinson and Benett (and Beatty who is good in pass protection) will be more explosive than ever. 30 points per game average wouldn't surprise me.

I'm glad that we have Wilson, but I still and will always believe that having a bruising back as part of your RB 1-2 punch is ALWAYS good to have in order to wear down the opposing D, control the clock, and keep the more explosive opposing O's off of the field.

I'm glad that we have Wilson, but I wish that we had BJ for 1 more year as well.

miked1958
05-05-2012, 12:54 AM
It worked on a couple very important two point conversions

giantsfan39
05-05-2012, 02:31 PM

I'm glad that we have Wilson, but I still and will always believe that having a bruising back as part of your RB 1-2 punch is ALWAYS good to have in order to wear down the opposing D, control the clock, and keep the more explosive opposing O's off of the field.

I'm glad that we have Wilson, but I wish that we had BJ for 1 more year as well.

I'd rather substitute a short passing game. m

Either way scoring 30-40 points a game is better than having a bruising back and winning games 17-14.

paul007
05-05-2012, 03:18 PM
I think what will be effective is the little dunk type pitch pass like we used to dfo with Dave Meggett
or even with Rob Carrpenter, If any of you guys remember him back in the day?

Rudyy
05-05-2012, 03:57 PM
The shotgun inside hand off may be the most overused play we have in the playbook. I hate it. I agree. Whenever I see the lineup I just say to myself "aah..shotgun draw..here come a loss of yards.

scf424
05-05-2012, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't mind using it as much as Gilbride does if he implemented more play action fakes out of the set.

Rarely do we go play action off a draw fake.

B-Red22
05-05-2012, 06:34 PM
SHOT GUN DRAW!!! good for 0.5 yards everytime!!!

JPP
05-05-2012, 07:51 PM

I'd rather substitute a short passing game. m

Either way scoring 30-40 points a game is better than having a bruising back and winning games 17-14.

Explain how it is better. Wins are wins no matter how they are put up, you could claim they were equal but better seems like a stretch. We beat the patriots 17-14 would it have been better 40-20...no not nearly as many epic moments. Dragging your team in to a close battle is what the Giants have always been about and have always won their Superbowls that way too so I fail to see how going the pats/pack way is better considering we beat both.

JesseJames
05-06-2012, 10:51 AM
having a back that gets 4 yards when needed is a good thing and gets us first downs and ball control and wears down opposing defenses, I'll take that every day...

BeatYale
05-07-2012, 05:30 PM
I only liked the play when Derrick Ward ran it. He seemed to have a knack for getting good yards from running out of shotgun.