PDA

View Full Version : JAYRON HOSLEY WAS A GOOD PICK FOR THE GIANTS

RoanokeFan
05-04-2012, 06:36 PM
JAYRON HOSLEY WAS A GOOD PICK FOR THE GIANTS (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/jayron_hosley_was_a_good_pick_for_the_giants/10718741)

"The pick of <a href="http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=jayron+hosley&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantsports .com%2Fnew-york-giants%2F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%2Fnfl%2Fteams%2F">Jayron
Hosley</a> may prove to be an important pick for the New York Giants (http://www.rantsports.com/new-york-giants/) in 2012.
Corners are much needed in today’s NFL and you can never have enough of them.
Hosley will fill a need as the Giants move forward in this season.

<a href="http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=aaron+ross&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantsports.co m%252Fnew-york-giants%252F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%2Fnew-york-giants%2F">Aaron
Ross</a> went and signed with the<a href="http://www.rantsports.com/jacksonville-jaguars/"> Jacksonville
Jaguars</a>. The Giants needed to pick up another corner to help them.<a href="http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=terell+thomas&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantsports .com%252Fnew-york-giants%252F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%252Fnfl%252Ftea ms%252F">
Terrell Thomas</a> re-signed and he will start opposite<a href="http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=corey+webster&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantsports .com%252Fnew-york-giants%252F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%252Fnew-york-giants%252F">
Corey Webster</a>.<a href="http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=prince+amukamara&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantspo rts.com%252Fnew-york-giants%252F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%252Fnfl%252Ftea ms%252F">
Prince Amukamara </a>in really his first full season will end up playing the
nickel. Hosley at this point is the team’s fourth best corner. He’s one play
away from being on the field a lot for the Giants. If Hosley was two inches
taller he probably would’ve been a first round pick.
</p>

Hosley plays a physical brand of corner and may also help in the kick and
punt return games. Just because the Giants picked Hosley doesn’t mean they think
less of what a guy like Amukamara can do. The way teams run wide open offenses
around the NFL, you need as many good corners as you can to cover the wide
receivers and maybe even some tight ends. Little injuries come around here and
there throughout the NFL season, and having depth at every position is
important.
</p>

Hosley did fail a drug test at the combine which might have caused his stock
to drop a little bit, and guys who end up failing drug tests will have questions
about them especially in their first year and being in New York. With all that
said, I think this was a solid, smart draft pick by Jerry Reese and may prove
great dividends right away in 2012."</p>

RagTime Blue
05-04-2012, 06:46 PM
I really hope he, or anyone for that matter, can add some pepper to our bland return game.

B&RWarrior
05-04-2012, 06:51 PM
4.38 40 with great cover skills. I really like this pick.

RagTime Blue
05-04-2012, 07:12 PM
4.38 40 with great cover skills. I really like this pick.

Hopefully he's fairly polished in both man and zone coverages. In our system, you need to be versatile.

B&RWarrior
05-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Does the failed drug test scare anybody else b/c it scares me. The most important 2 month period of your life and you can't lay off the marijuana. I honestly don't know what goes through these guys heads. Yes they are young men and 20 something guys aren't notorious for their savvy decision making, but c'mon. I did a lot of dumb things when I was 20 but I never had a chance to make millions presented to me. If I did I'd like to think I'd put the doobie down.

RoanokeFan
05-04-2012, 08:18 PM
I really hope he, or anyone for that matter, can add some pepper to our bland return game.

If Hixon is healthy, it will be his job to lose.

RoanokeFan
05-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Does the failed drug test scare anybody else b/c it scares me. The most important 2 month period of your life and you can't lay off the marijuana. I honestly don't know what goes through these guys heads. Yes they are young men and 20 something guys aren't notorious for their savvy decision making, but c'mon. I did a lot of dumb things when I was 20 but I never had a chance to make millions presented to me. If I did I'd like to think I'd put the doobie down.

I don't disagree with you in terms of "what were you thinking?" However, for Reese &amp; Co. to pick him means, to me, he's got a boatload of talent they are pretty sure they can develop.

G-Men Surg.
05-04-2012, 08:43 PM
He reminds me a lot of a young Asante Samuel.

ShakeNBake
05-04-2012, 08:47 PM

So you're weary about a pot smoker, but not someone who kills dogs for a kicks, gotcha

RoanokeFan
05-04-2012, 08:55 PM

So you're weary about a pot smoker, but not someone who kills dogs for a kicks, gotcha

How did Vick slip into this thread?

fletch842
05-04-2012, 09:06 PM

I don't disagree with you in terms of "what were you thinking?"* However, for Reese & Co. to pick him means, to me, he's got a boatload of talent they are pretty sure they can develop.

I read that after the failed test was revealed, he sent a letter of apology to all NFL team, accepting responsibility for his actions, and explaining the circumstances around his usage. The Giants have a history of giving good guys who make mistakes a second chance, think Kerry Collins. I have full faith that Jerry R and co did their research and were comfortable with the kid.

ShakeNBake
05-04-2012, 09:06 PM

He didn't, I just know from previous threads that this person in particular sees nothing wrong in dogfighting, so I thought it was funny that testing positive for pot scares this guy from a moral standpoint.

B&RWarrior
05-04-2012, 09:08 PM

Drug addiction is a disease incomparable to poor decision making. Vick had no physiological dependence on dog fighting therefore the probability of the offense reoccurring was far less than that of a person with a drug problem. So yes I would be much less weary of a "pot smoker" than someone who fought dogs if I'm a GM in the NFL. (trying my best to relate your jab to this thread and keep your comment relevant)

Which action is more offensive depends on the person doing the judging's personal morals.

Thanks for playing and as a consolation prize I'll send you home with the board game version of "It Sounded Clever Until I Typed It".

B&RWarrior
05-04-2012, 09:15 PM

He didn't, I just know from previous threads that this person in particular sees nothing wrong in dogfighting, so I thought it was funny that testing positive for pot scares this guy from a moral standpoint.

You know nothing. Anyone that read the thread would have noticed the multiple times I stated I don't fight dogs or watch dogfights, but am unwilling to condemn people that do.

fletch842
05-04-2012, 09:16 PM

Drug addiction is a disease incomparable to poor decision making. Vick had no physiological dependence on dog fighting therefore the probability of the offense reoccurring was far less than that of a person with a drug problem. So yes I would be much less weary of a "pot smoker" than someone who fought dogs if I'm a GM in the NFL. (trying my best to relate your jab to this thread and keep your comment relevant)

Which action is more offensive depends on the person doing the judging's personal morals.

Thanks for playing and as a consolation prize I'll send you home with the board game version of "It Sounded Clever Until I Typed It".
Substance abuse is a very serious issue, but occasional usage of weed (sound like it may have been a one time occurrence in his case) is a far cry from abuse. Lets not jump to hasty conclusions about him. I'd personally be a lot more concerned if he had a DUI. Alcohol is far more addictive, potent, and physically impairing. It just happens to be one of the few legal drugs.

05-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I remember hearing one NFL scout (don't know which team) saying that he preferred the pot smokers over the drinkers.....they play a more controlled.. thinking game</P>

B&RWarrior
05-04-2012, 09:27 PM

I don't disagree with you in terms of "what were you thinking?"* However, for Reese & Co. to pick him means, to me, he's got a boatload of talent they are pretty sure they can develop.

I read that after the failed test was revealed, he sent a letter of apology to all NFL team, accepting responsibility for his actions, and explaining the circumstances around his usage. The Giants have a history of giving good guys who make mistakes a second chance, think Kerry Collins. I have full faith that Jerry R and co did their research and were comfortable with the kid.

I give him points for writing the letter and realizing what a huge mistake he made. Still the whole idea of "explaining the circumstances around his usage" has me LOL! Excerpt from the letter:

"You see Mr. Goodell and prospective teams my main man Rick came through with that Fire. He had just come back from a weekend trip to Mexico. He had an ounce of the Purple and a triple chambered bong and the rest, as they say, is history. The next thing I know Bob Marley is sounding good as f**** on Rick's sound system..."

There is no valid excuse, but at least he attempted to make up for his mistake. Let's hope he doesn't ever have to write any more letters b/c he has got talent from hear to wazoo.

B&RWarrior
05-04-2012, 09:28 PM
I remember hearing one NFL scout (don't know which team) saying that he preferred the pot smokers over the drinkers.....they play a more controlled.. thinking game</P>

LOL!

ShakeNBake
05-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Pot is not physically addictive, thank you for furthering the point of my initial post, that you are ignorant in regards to the effects of pot so your opinion is void. I was poking at you because I find it absolutely hilarious that someone that finds dogfighting to be morally acceptable is upset with a pot smoker, again because of your ignorance. Thanks for playing, know what you're talking about before you attempt to make someone look stupid.

Roosevelt
05-04-2012, 09:48 PM

I guess it's safe to say you haven't any family or friends asking you to pet-sit their puppy?

BTW, what's the punishment for getting caught smoking in the NFL? Does it match the 2 years Vick did?

B&RWarrior
05-04-2012, 10:13 PM

I guess it's safe to say you haven't any family or friends asking you to pet-sit their puppy?

BTW, what's the punishment for getting caught smoking in the NFL?* Does it match the 2 years Vick did?

Its safe to say that reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

B&RWarrior
05-04-2012, 10:34 PM

Pot is not physically addictive, thank you for furthering the point of my initial post, that you are ignorant in regards to the effects of pot so your opinion is void.* I was poking at you because I find it absolutely hilarious that someone that finds dogfighting to be morally acceptable is upset with a pot smoker, again because of your ignorance. Thanks for playing, know what you're talking about before you attempt to make someone look stupid.

ShakeNBake you seem like an intelligent fellow, but you're just wrong on this issue. I'm not saying I'm smarter than you I'm saying I am way more informed than you on this issue.

Marijuana is considered to be a gateway drug. It's a documented fact that people that smoke weed are exponentially more likely to try other drugs that are extremely physically addictive. Todd Marinovic is a classic example of a gateway user that started of with innocent ole marijuana.

There is physical addiction and then there is psychological addiction.

Most people that have marijuana addictions fall into the latter category. Still there are those cases where people develop physical addictions though they are the minority of marijuana users.

The point is that because Hosley tested positive at the worst possible time to be using marijuana in his life it's logical to question whether he had a problem he couldn't control.

As a man I'm weary of neither the drug user or the dog fighter. As a GM the drug user causes me more concern than the dog fighter.

BlueSanta
05-04-2012, 10:55 PM

If Hixon is healthy, it will be his job to lose.

I dunno man. 2 straight knee injuries has to have an effect on his speed and quickness. I have always loved Hixon and want him on these team if he can play. But, 2 straight knee operations in 2 years is no joke.

I think people have to be prepared for a different player.

ShakeNBake
05-04-2012, 11:15 PM

Pot is not physically addictive, thank you for furthering the point of my initial post, that you are ignorant in regards to the effects of pot so your opinion is void. I was poking at you because I find it absolutely hilarious that someone that finds dogfighting to be morally acceptable is upset with a pot smoker, again because of your ignorance. Thanks for playing, know what you're talking about before you attempt to make someone look stupid.

ShakeNBake you seem like an intelligent fellow, but you're just wrong on this issue. I'm not saying I'm smarter than you I'm saying I am way more informed than you on this issue.

Marijuana is considered to be a gateway drug. It's a documented fact that people that smoke weed are exponentially more likely to try other drugs that are extremely physically addictive. Todd Marinovic is a classic example of a gateway user that started of with innocent ole marijuana.

Most people that have marijuana addictions fall into the latter category. Still there are those cases where people develop physical addictions though they are the minority of marijuana users.

The point is that because Hosley tested positive at the worst possible time to be using marijuana in his life it's logical to question whether he had a problem he couldn't control.

As a man I'm weary of neither the drug user or the dog fighter. As a GM the drug user causes me more concern than the dog fighter.

Pot is not physically addictive, there is no scientific evidence that says so, and I'm not going to debate it further unless you can find me scientific evidence that says otherwise(you won't). As far as psychological addiction, you can be psychologically addicted to anything and we know so little about psychological effects of pot to make any conclusions about them so we can't say whether it is or it isn't at this point. Arguing that pot is a gateway drug is also wrong, when it is less harmful and physically addictive than tobacco, caffeine and alcohol to name a few. Have you ever heard of someone dying from marijuana? I haven't. Also, there are plenty of people that smoke pot exclusively, and plenty of those that do other drugs exclusively. I don't think the problem was the kid smoking, it was him lying about it.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own perception of "right and wrong" ala dog fighting and pot smoking, so even though I disagree with you I'm not going to try to argue with you about whether or not they are morally right or wrong . I just get angry when someone is trying to argue a point based on wrong information, because someone else who doesn't know about it might read it and believe it too. I'm not trying to insult you, but what you're saying is just completely wrong.

Roosevelt
05-04-2012, 11:18 PM

BTW, what's the punishment for getting caught smoking in the NFL? Does it match the 2 years Vick did?

Its safe to say that reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Misread your post, but the first line still stands, yes?

Drez
05-04-2012, 11:21 PM
The only reason it doesn't overly concern me is because we drafted him despite it. If TC and JR talked to him about and came away feeling as it was worth the risk, then who am I to argue? There were issues surrounding AB, too, when he was coming out.

It also helps that we have a pretty strong locker room.

NY_Eli
05-04-2012, 11:23 PM

Pot is not physically addictive, thank you for furthering the point of my initial post, that you are ignorant in regards to the effects of pot so your opinion is void.* I was poking at you because I find it absolutely hilarious that someone that finds dogfighting to be morally acceptable is upset with a pot smoker, again because of your ignorance. Thanks for playing, know what you're talking about before you attempt to make someone look stupid.

Pot is not physically addictive, there is no scientific evidence that says so, and I'm not going to debate it further unless you can find me scientific evidence that says otherwise(you won't).* As far as psychological addiction, you can be psychologically addicted to anything and we know so little about psychological effects of pot to make any conclusions about them so we can't say whether it is or it isn't at this point.* Arguing that pot is a gateway drug is also wrong, when it is less harmful and physically addictive than tobacco, caffeine and alcohol to name a few.* Have you ever heard of someone dying from marijuana? I haven't. Also, there are plenty of people that smoke pot exclusively, and plenty of those that do other drugs exclusively. I don't think the problem was the kid smoking, it was him lying about it.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own perception of "right and wrong" ala dog fighting and pot smoking, so even though I disagree with you I'm not going to try to argue with you about whether or not they are morally right or wrong .* I just get angry when someone is trying to argue a point based on wrong information, because someone else who doesn't know about it might read it and believe it too.* I'm not trying to insult you, but what you're saying is just completely wrong.

+1 thanks for typing what I had not the mental energy to type

JJC7301
05-04-2012, 11:33 PM
I thought that it was an awesome pick and I always love the thinking behind it. You have a player like Hosley who, like MM, dropped out of the 1st/2nd round due to some issues. If the FO talks with the player, like they did, and feel that the player won't be stupid again then it's great value in the 3rd round.

Even AB (7th rd pick in '07) had a track record while in college, but the Giants spoke with him a lot and he's been straight as an arrow ever since he's been on the team.

Hosley's coming to a great organization, head-to-toe, with savvy veterans who will help keep him on the right track, as long as he wants to stay on the right track. Welcome aboard, Mr. Hosley.

BlueBlitzer
05-04-2012, 11:52 PM
So you think Electrocuting, Hanging from Trees, and Drowning dogs are just poor choices ?!?!?! You either have a heart of Stone, or are reading too many Stephen King novels. Michael Vick was sentenced to 2 years in Prison. He financed the whole thing, brought His family into it ( Brother to run it, while trying to hide His own name from it ) Illegal gambling. People weren't there to just see the psycho carnage, but to bet money on the winner. M.V. was a Heartless Bas---d . To keep defending Him is not only Dopey, it's Scary.

JJC7301
05-04-2012, 11:58 PM
So you think Electrocuting, Hanging from Trees, and Drowning dogs are just poor choices ?!?!?! You either have a heart of Stone, or are reading too many Stephen King novels. Michael Vick was sentenced to 2 years in Prison. He financed the whole thing, brought His family into it ( Brother to run it, while trying to hide His own name from it ) Illegal gambling. People weren't there to just see the psycho carnage, but to bet money on the winner. M.V. was a Heartless Bas---d . To keep defending Him is not only Dopey, it's Scary.
Is THAT what Hosley did? If so, I wasn't aware. I thought that he just had a pot problem.

B&RWarrior
05-05-2012, 12:05 AM

Pot is not physically addictive, there is no scientific evidence that says so, and I'm not going to debate it further unless you can find me scientific evidence that says otherwise(you won't).* As far as psychological addiction, you can be psychologically addicted to anything and we know so little about psychological effects of pot to make any conclusions about them so we can't say whether it is or it isn't at this point.* Arguing that pot is a gateway drug is also wrong, when it is less harmful and physically addictive than tobacco, caffeine and alcohol to name a few.* Have you ever heard of someone dying from marijuana? I haven't. Also, there are plenty of people that smoke pot exclusively, and plenty of those that do other drugs exclusively. I don't think the problem was the kid smoking, it was him lying about it.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own perception of "right and wrong" ala dog fighting and pot smoking, so even though I disagree with you I'm not going to try to argue with you about whether or not they are morally right or wrong .* I just get angry when someone is trying to argue a point based on wrong information, because someone else who doesn't know about it might read it and believe it too.* I'm not trying to insult you, but what you're saying is just completely wrong.

Here's a link. Remember doctor knows best. Survey says about 9% of all marijuana users develop a addiction. While it's much lower than other drugs of choice like cocaine, cigarettes, alcohol it is still considered an addictive drug. If you don't believe your the articles talk to someone that worked in a rehab center or a scientist or physician that has researched drug addiction as I have.

Marijuana is a gateway drug. If you talk to enough drug addicts to compile statistically relevant data you will find this to be true.

I just spoke with my family physician and he said their is mountains of clinical proof that marijuana is addictive.

There we have it a primary source and 3 secondary sources.

We can have different opinions but we can't have different facts. Marijuana is addictive-FACT.

<a href="http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-addiction/201001/is-marijuana-addictive-you-can-bet-your-heroin">The scientific proof you wanted. <a/>

<a href="http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/201012/is-marijuana-addictive">The scientific proof you wanted.<a/>

<a href="http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/infofacts/marijuana">The scientific proof you wanted. <a/>

ShakeNBake
05-05-2012, 12:58 AM

Pot is not physically addictive, there is no scientific evidence that says so, and I'm not going to debate it further unless you can find me scientific evidence that says otherwise(you won't). As far as psychological addiction, you can be psychologically addicted to anything and we know so little about psychological effects of pot to make any conclusions about them so we can't say whether it is or it isn't at this point. Arguing that pot is a gateway drug is also wrong, when it is less harmful and physically addictive than tobacco, caffeine and alcohol to name a few. Have you ever heard of someone dying from marijuana? I haven't. Also, there are plenty of people that smoke pot exclusively, and plenty of those that do other drugs exclusively. I don't think the problem was the kid smoking, it was him lying about it.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own perception of "right and wrong" ala dog fighting and pot smoking, so even though I disagree with you I'm not going to try to argue with you about whether or not they are morally right or wrong . I just get angry when someone is trying to argue a point based on wrong information, because someone else who doesn't know about it might read it and believe it too. I'm not trying to insult you, but what you're saying is just completely wrong.

Here's a link. Remember doctor knows best. Survey says about 9% of all marijuana users develop a addiction. While it's much lower than other drugs of choice like cocaine, cigarettes, alcohol it is still considered an addictive drug. If you don't believe your the articles talk to someone that worked in a rehab center or a scientist or physician that has researched drug addiction as I have.

Marijuana is a gateway drug. If you talk to enough drug addicts to compile statistically relevant data you will find this to be true.

I just spoke with my family physician and he said their is mountains of clinical proof that marijuana is addictive.

We can have different opinions but we can't have different facts. Marijuana is addictive-FACT.

The scientific proof you wanted. (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-addiction/201001/is-marijuana-addictive-you-can-bet-your-heroin)<a>

</a>The scientific proof you wanted. (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/201012/is-marijuana-addictive)<a>

</a>The scientific proof you wanted. (http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/infofacts/marijuana)<a>

</a><a><font face="Arial">Do you even read the articles that you claim to be proof?

</font></a>

<font face="Courier New">
</font></p>

<font face="Courier New">"Since there's a close connection between the targets of THC
and the addictive properties of many other drugs, it seems to me that
arguing against an addictive potential for marijuana is silly. Of course, some will read this as my saying that marijuana is always addictive and very dangerous. They would be wrong. My point is that marijuana can not be considered as having no potential for addiction. As I've pointed out many times before (http://www.allaboutaddiction.com/addiction/teens-and-drugs-drug-use-statistics-and-treatment-that-works/)<span class="ext"></span>,
the proportion of drug users that become addicted, or dependent, on
drugs is relatively small (10%-15%). This is true for almost all drugs. </font><font face="Courier New">All I'm saying is that it is probably also true for marijuana." </font>

</p>

<font face="Arial">Thats a direct quote from the first link you posted http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-addiction/201001/is-marijuana-addictive-you-can-bet-your-heroin, is in reference to psychological addiction, not physical like you claimed. It also says the rate of addiction is the same of any other common drug such as caffiene, so again your claim is ridiculous.</font>
</p>

"However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes
mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to
self-medicate symptoms already in existence."</p>

Direct quote from your second link http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/infofacts/marijuana. Again, they are unsure because there is no scientific evidence to support your idea.
</p>

"Compared to other substances, marijuana is not very addicting. It is
estimated that 32% of tobacco users will become addicted, 23% of heroin
users, 17% of cocaine (http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/cocaine) users, and 15% of alcohol users. Cocaine and heroin are more physically harmful and nicotine (http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/nicotine) is much more addictive. It is much harder to quit smoking (http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/smoking) cigarettes than it is to quit smoking pot."</p>

"So, to wrap up, is marijuana addictive? For most people, no."</p>

Quotes from the third link you posted http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/201012/is-marijuana-addictive.
</p>None of your articles say anything definitive about pot addiction, one guy clearly states he is making an assumption, the next clearly says there is no definitive evidence, and the third says that<a> the vast majority of people do not get addicted. The rates are so low, to the point of insignificance unless you think that coffee and tea drinkers are high risks too.
</a>

NY_Eli
05-05-2012, 01:42 AM
I wonder what the percentage of people who get addicted to the NYG Message Boards is [:D]

Drez
05-05-2012, 01:43 AM

The scientific proof you wanted. (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-addiction/201001/is-marijuana-addictive-you-can-bet-your-heroin)<a>

</a>The scientific proof you wanted. (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/201012/is-marijuana-addictive)<a>

</a>The scientific proof you wanted. (http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/infofacts/marijuana)<a>

Oh lord. Could you please post some more? I'm having a good time laughing at what you call "evidence" and "fact." In the first one, the author says, "probably also true." Yeah. That sounds like definitive proof to me.

In the second, the author claims pot was introduced to the US in the 1960's and doesn't know how people would know why marijuana is stronger today than it was then. If she gets those basic facts wrong then how can she even be considered reliable on the subject. She also doesn't provide any proof, just suggests that based on data from other, clinically proven physiologically/psychologically addictive drug rates that some users may become addicted. And even then she only relates about psychological addiction, which is generally accepted as being true about pot (or any other substance or activity that alters mood/brain chemistry at all, including exercise).

The last one, from the government site, only defines addiction as drug use while knowing of potential harmful effects. Again, not definitive in any manner suggesting any kind of manifestation of a true physical addiction.

Also, there is mounting evidence against pot as a gateway drug. There is also a compelling case that to any extent that it is a gateway drug is more due to it being a black market product, which means there is a high likelihood that the person one gets their pot from also deals other drugs that they will in turn try to get the pot smoker to use.

I could talk to enough drug addicts and come to the conclusion that drinking milk is the gateway substance. Correlation does not equal causation.
</a>

Captain Chaos
05-05-2012, 09:46 AM
I think he was are answer to the small quick WRs that we see in the league. I think it was a great pick!

Pa1jintfan
05-05-2012, 11:41 AM
I don't care if he smokes like a chimney, as long as he plays his *** off on Sunday's. LT was a brutal drug offender, and he is the most feared giant of all time. I don't condone it, but I'm not gonna go off on the kid for doing something I did at his age, yea it was stupid, seeing he new he would be tested, but he probably fell to us because of it. So that could have been the best bowl he ever smoked. Lol......

mad4ahmad
05-05-2012, 06:48 PM
BR. Just curious. Are you related to Nancy Reagan?

ShakeNBake
05-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Oh lord. Could you please post some more? I'm having a good time laughing at what you call "evidence" and "fact." In the first one, the author says, "probably also true." Yeah. That sounds like definitive proof to me.

In the second, the author claims pot was introduced to the US in the 1960's and doesn't know how people would know why marijuana is stronger today than it was then. If she gets those basic facts wrong then how can she even be considered reliable on the subject. She also doesn't provide any proof, just suggests that based on data from other, clinically proven physiologically/psychologically addictive drug rates that some users may become addicted. And even then she only relates about psychological addiction, which is generally accepted as being true about pot (or any other substance or activity that alters mood/brain chemistry at all, including exercise).

The last one, from the government site, only defines addiction as drug use while knowing of potential harmful effects. Again, not definitive in any manner suggesting any kind of manifestation of a true physical addiction.

Also, there is mounting evidence against pot as a gateway drug. There is also a compelling case that to any extent that it is a gateway drug is more due to it being a black market product, which means there is a high likelihood that the person one gets their pot from also deals other drugs that they will in turn try to get the pot smoker to use.

I could talk to enough drug addicts and come to the conclusion that drinking milk is the gateway substance. Correlation does not equal causation.
</a>

Let him keep digging his hole, this is really starting to get entertaining
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_dzDb5v744

B&RWarrior
05-05-2012, 08:12 PM
I wonder what the percentage of people who get addicted to the NYG Message Boards is [:D]
I've got a NYG MB habit.. I try to cover the track marks but I forgot to clear by browsers history. My internet went out for a few days last week and I got the shakes real bad. I don't have a problem though I can stop posting whenever I want to.

B&RWarrior
05-05-2012, 09:07 PM

</a><a><font face="Arial">Do you even read the articles that you claim to be proof?

</font></a>

</font></p>

<font face="Courier New">"Since there's a close connection between the targets of THC
arguing against an addictive potential for marijuana is silly. Of course, some will read this as my saying that marijuana is always addictive and very dangerous. They would be wrong. My point is that marijuana can not be considered as having no potential for addiction. As I've pointed out many times before (http://www.allaboutaddiction.com/addiction/teens-and-drugs-drug-use-statistics-and-treatment-that-works/)<span class="ext"></span>,
drugs is relatively small (10%-15%). This is true for almost all drugs. </font><font face="Courier New">All I'm saying is that it is probably also true for marijuana." </font>

</p>

<font face="Arial">Thats a direct quote from the first link you posted http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-addiction/201001/is-marijuana-addictive-you-can-bet-your-heroin, is in reference to psychological addiction, not physical like you claimed.* It also says the rate of addiction is the same of any other common drug such as caffiene, so again your claim is ridiculous.</font>
</p>

Direct quote from your second link http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/infofacts/marijuana. Again,* they are unsure because there is no scientific evidence to support your idea.*
</p>

users, 17% of cocaine (http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/cocaine) users, and 15% of alcohol users. Cocaine and heroin are more physically harmful and nicotine (http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/nicotine) is much more addictive. It is much harder to quit smoking (http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/smoking) cigarettes than it is to quit smoking pot."</p>

Quotes from the third link you posted http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/201012/is-marijuana-addictive.*
</p>None of your articles say anything definitive about pot addiction, one guy clearly states he is making an assumption, the next clearly says there is no definitive evidence, and the third says that<a> the vast majority of people do not get addicted. The rates are so low, to the point of insignificance unless you think that coffee and tea drinkers are high risks too.
</a>

The link form the first article was "is-marijuana-addictive-you-can-bet-your-heroin" This should have been a big hint as to the conclusion of the author, which happened to have a PHD, was trying to communicate.

Quote from first link "My point is that <font size="5">marijuana can not be considered as having no potential for addiction</font>." What does that mean to you?

Quote from 2nd link: "The Science of Marijuana is written by Leslie L. Iverson, a professor of pharmacology at the University of Cambridge in England. In the book, <font size="5">he reviews decades of international research on marijuana, both laboratory research and survey research. Based on his review of the scientific literature, between 10 to 30% of regular users will develop dependency. Only about 9% will have a serious addiction.</font>

Quote from third link: "<font size="5">Long-term marijuana abuse can lead to addiction</font>; that is, compulsive drug seeking and abuse despite the known harmful effects upon functioning in the context of family, school, work, and recreational activities. <font size="5">Estimates from research suggest that about 9 percent of users become addicted to marijuana</font>..."

9% of all marijuana users develop an addiction. Ask any physician or social worker that has worked in a rehab clinic and they will tell you that yes marijuana can be addictive- improbable but a very real possibility.

For most people no but for 9% of weed smokers yes addiction is a reality. .

This debate is not a valid one in medical circles. Mabye in college frat houses but not among trained professional that study and deal with addiction on a daily basis.

Call up any rehab clinic right now and say I'm considering smoking weed. Is there any possibility that I can get addicted? I already know the answer and so do you.

Respond as you like your wrong and anybody with a brain that reads the post knows I'm beating a dead horse and your going to be in denial no matter what evidence is presented and that's okay.

"You might win some but you just lost one."
--Lauryn Hill

The other point the doctor I spoke with said that if Hosely hadn't shown a history of drug usage that it could mean that he is just a poor decision maker and may not have an addiction at all. This is almost as much of a worry as an addiction. That was literally the most expensive blunt Hosley ever rolled, he just didn't realize it at the time. I pray he has learned his lesson.

egyptian420
05-05-2012, 09:10 PM

</font></a>

</font></p>

</p>

<font face="Arial">Thats a direct quote from the first link you posted http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-addiction/201001/is-marijuana-addictive-you-can-bet-your-heroin, is in reference to psychological addiction, not physical like you claimed. It also says the rate of addiction is the same of any other common drug such as caffiene, so again your claim is ridiculous.</font>
</p>

Direct quote from your second link http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/infofacts/marijuana. Again, they are unsure because there is no scientific evidence to support your idea.
</p>

Quotes from the third link you posted http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/201012/is-marijuana-addictive.
</a>

The link form the first article was "is-marijuana-addictive-you-can-bet-your-heroin" This should have been a big hint as to the conclusion of the author, which happened to have a PHD, was trying to communicate.

Quote from first link "My point is that <font size="5">marijuana can not be considered as having no potential for addiction</font>." What does that mean to you?

Quote from 2nd link: "The Science of Marijuana is written by Leslie L. Iverson, a professor of pharmacology at the University of Cambridge in England. In the book, <font size="5">he reviews decades of international research on marijuana, both laboratory research and survey research. Based on his review of the scientific literature, between 10 to 30% of regular users will develop dependency. Only about 9% will have a serious addiction.</font>

Quote from third link: "<font size="5">Long-term marijuana abuse can lead to addiction</font>; that is, compulsive drug seeking and abuse despite the known harmful effects upon functioning in the context of family, school, work, and recreational activities. <font size="5">Estimates from research suggest that about 9 percent of users become addicted to marijuana</font>..."

9% of all marijuana users develop an addiction. Ask any physician or social worker that has worked in a rehab clinic and they will tell you that yes marijuana can be addictive- improbable but a very real possibility.

This debate is not a valid one in medical circles. Mabye in college frat houses but not among trained professional that study and deal with addiction on a daily basis.

Call up any rehab clinic right now and say I'm considering smoking weed. Is there any possibility that I can get addicted? I already know the answer and so do you.

Respond as you like your wrong and anybody with a brain that reads the post knows I'm beating a dead horse and your going to be in denial no matter what evidence is presented and that's okay.

--Lauryn Hill

The other point the doctor I spoke with said that if Hosely hadn't shown a history of drug usage that it could mean that he is just a poor decision maker and may not have an addiction at all. This is almost as much of a worry as an addiction. That was literally the most expensive blunt Hosley ever rolled, he just didn't realize it at the time. I pray he has learned his lesson.
Marijuana is certainly addictive

Proof: Me and other people I know

B&RWarrior
05-05-2012, 09:25 PM

I frankly don't give a sh*** if they smoke. There are so many functional drug addicts in society that it's a fact that it is possible to be productive and maintain a dependency/ addiction to drugs.

I care about their drug history b/c a positive test could hurt our chances of winning. If they can get high and not hurt our chances at winning another SB then I say, "Party like a rock star!!!"

chasjay
05-05-2012, 09:41 PM
I am weary of reading the word 'weary' misused by folks whose intent is to say 'wary'.

Research has shown that 100% of slaughtered dogs remain dead while their ex-owners are chillin' with a cold one.

After almost 50 years in the heavy construction industry, I can truthfully say that I'd rather that the crane operator flying 10 tons of steel over the work site had smoked a joint the night before instead of guzzling beer or liquor. And I stress <u>the night before</u>

Gateways are openings for those inclined to go through them - they are not black holes sucking everyone inside.

egyptian420
05-05-2012, 09:45 PM

I frankly don't give a sh*** if they smoke. There are so many functional drug addicts in society that it's a fact that it is possible to be productive and maintain a dependency/ addiction to drugs.

I care about their drug history b/c a positive test could hurt our chances of winning. If they can get high and not hurt our chances at winning another SB then I say, "Party like a rock star!!!"
Lol neither do I. Manningham got caught for the same thing and he was one of the biggest reasons we won the SB. Being a pothead doesn't mean you're a horrible person.

That being said, I am totally against any professional athlete using it or smoking Anything for that matter. It's just stupid. If I had an offer right now from any team, I would quit in a split second.

rcrane082985
05-05-2012, 10:18 PM

Id be willing to bet that cigarettes and alcohol are more of "gateway" drugs. The whole gateway drug argument is absolutely ret@rded. Just because alcohol and cigarettes are legal, it doesnt make them better.

B&RWarrior
05-05-2012, 10:25 PM
I am weary of reading the word 'weary' misused by folks whose intent is to say 'wary'.

Research has shown that 100% of slaughtered dogs remain dead while their ex-owners are chillin' with a cold one.

After almost 50 years in the heavy construction industry, I can truthfully say that I'd rather that the crane operator flying 10 tons of steel over the work site had smoked a joint the night before instead of guzzling beer or liquor. And I stress <u>the night before</u>

Gateways are openings for those inclined to go through them - they are not black holes sucking everyone inside.

Thanks for catching that. This being a message board and seeing as I'm not defending my dissertation I tend to make a lot of those kinds of mistakes on this board. In fact reading my posts one can grow weary of the many typos that will pop up.

I tend not to be wary / leery of anybody that doesn't produce flawless prose on a message board about the Giants.

Mike Vick spent two years in jail. He paid his debt to society so I'm unwilling to brand him with a scarlet letter.

I wasn't trying to demonize marijuana or Hosely. At such a key moment in his life to stray from the path raised a red flag for me. If the day your do to negotiate your biggest construction project ever and your key negotiator shows up high as a kite, do you see a problem with his timing?

Still, the kid deserves a clean slate.

B&RWarrior
05-05-2012, 10:28 PM
BR. Just curious. Are you related to Nancy Reagan?

Your making assumptions about my usage of narcotics based on nothing.

B&RWarrior
05-05-2012, 10:32 PM

</a>

I'll stick with the professional opinion of the PHDs and the primary care physician i consulted on the issue with over 25 years of experience. Talk to doctors if you don't think drug addicts are credible. The story will be the same.

B&RWarrior
05-05-2012, 10:43 PM

Lol neither do I. Manningham got caught for the same thing and he was one of the biggest reasons we won the SB. Being a pothead doesn't mean you're a horrible person.

That being said, I am totally against any professional athlete using it or smoking Anything for that matter. It's just stupid. If I had an offer right now from any team, I would quit in a split second.

Exactly, I did a lot of stupid things when I was younger. As do most young adults. The difference is 99% of us don't have offers to make millions based on our sobriety.

I would drink coconut water and eat wheat germ everyday for the kind of cash these guys earn at age 21.

ShakeNBake
05-05-2012, 10:50 PM

</font></a>

</font></p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</a>

--Lauryn Hill

I was trying to play nice, but since you want to insult me let me say that you're a ****ing imbecile. Your whole argument was that smoking pot is worse than dog fighting because it is addictive and leads to other drugs, yet the "proof" you posted showed no definitive evidence, at best they are guessing that pot is addictive, at lower rates than common drugs like caffeine. I bet you're the type of ******bag that claims they're addicted to tv or videogames.

B&RWarrior
05-05-2012, 11:03 PM

</font></a>

</font></p>

</p>

<font face="Arial">Thats a direct quote from the first link you posted http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-addiction/201001/is-marijuana-addictive-you-can-bet-your-heroin, is in reference to psychological addiction, not physical like you claimed.* It also says the rate of addiction is the same of any other common drug such as caffiene, so again your claim is ridiculous.</font>
</p>

Direct quote from your second link http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/infofacts/marijuana. Again,* they are unsure because there is no scientific evidence to support your idea.*
</p>

Quotes from the third link you posted http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/201012/is-marijuana-addictive.*
</a>

--Lauryn Hill

I was trying to play nice, but since you want to insult me let me say that you're a ****ing imbecile.* Your whole argument was that smoking pot is worse than dog fighting because it is addictive and leads to other drugs, yet the "proof" you posted showed no definitive evidence, at best they are guessing that pot is addictive, at lower rates than common drugs like caffeine.* I bet you're the type of ******bag that claims they're addicted to tv or videogames.

I never insulted you once. I fear the real problem hear is your interpretation of what you read; your adding things that aren't there and missing key points.

My key point was that dug addiction is a problem that can be difficult to control. Vick has been punished for dog fighting and can't even own a dog if he wanted to. He has no need to fight dogs comparable to how an addict needs a fix. The greater risk for a GM drafting a player is the problem that is more difficult to control. The drug problem.

ShakeNBake
05-05-2012, 11:04 PM

Exactly, I did a lot of stupid things when I was younger. As do most young adults. The difference is 99% of us don't have offers to make millions based on our sobriety.

I would drink coconut water and eat wheat germ everyday for the kind of cash these guys earn at age 21.

Killing dogs is a-ok though!

B&RWarrior
05-05-2012, 11:06 PM

Killing dogs is a-ok though!

I'm moving on now Shake. You should too.

ShakeNBake
05-05-2012, 11:14 PM

</font></a>

</font></p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</a>

--Lauryn Hill

I was trying to play nice, but since you want to insult me let me say that you're a ****ing imbecile. Your whole argument was that smoking pot is worse than dog fighting because it is addictive and leads to other drugs, yet the "proof" you posted showed no definitive evidence, at best they are guessing that pot is addictive, at lower rates than common drugs like caffeine. I bet you're the type of ******bag that claims they're addicted to tv or videogames.

I never insulted you once. I fear the real problem hear is your interpretation of what you read; your adding things that aren't there and missing key points.

My key point was that dug addiction is a problem that can be difficult to control. Vick has been punished for dog fighting and can't even own a dog if he wanted to. He has no need to fight dogs comparable to how an addict needs a fix. The greater risk for a GM drafting a player is the problem that is more difficult to control. The drug problem.

Are you slow? You said "anyone with a brain that reads the post will know I'm beating a dead horse" is that not an insult? I'm not missing any key points genius, let me reiterate you think that someone using a substance is bad because it has the potential to be addictive. The problem with that in this case, is that the substance in question is virtually harmless and is less addictive than caffeine and other common drugs we use on a daily basis. I guess by that logic we should not let people who watch tv, use the internet or phone on the team because they have the potential for addiction too, even if its an insignificant number of people right? Let me again say, you think that potential pot addiction is a larger concern than someone who has killed hundreds of animals for fun, and your moral compass and sense of logic is completely backwards.

miked1958
05-05-2012, 11:37 PM
I really hope he, or anyone for that matter, can add some pepper to our bland return game.*
Duse certainly look quick

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Are you slow? You said "anyone with* a brain that reads the post will know I'm beating a dead horse"* is that not an insult? I'm not missing any key points genius, let me reiterate you think that someone using a substance is bad because it has the potential to be addictive. The problem with that in this case, is that the substance in question is virtually harmless and is less addictive than caffeine and other common drugs we use on a daily basis. I guess by that logic we should not let people who watch tv, use the internet or phone on the team because they have the potential for addiction too, even if its an insignificant number of people right? Let me again say, you think that potential pot addiction is a larger concern than someone who has killed hundreds of animals for fun, and your moral compass and sense of logic is completely backwards.

Against my better judgment I'm going to jump back into the fray. Why b/c it's obvious I have no girlfriend and need one badly. Since my balls are Giants blue I might as well have frivolous MB debates to pass the time.

Let me first say Google is you friend.

"beating a dead horse" is a cliche that means I am wasting my time. "Anybody with a brain" refers to anybody and everybody that reads this senseless debate. Other posters not including you is who I was referring to. Read it again you'll see the comment is totally benign.

Yes you again missed my key point because I never said anybody was bad, the drug addict or the dog fighter.

I never made a statement about what the effects of marijuana addiction or usage was. I never made a judgement on people that use marijuana. I stated a fact that marijuana is addictive. Not for most but for 9% of all users addiction is a reality. Every 100 people that smoke 9 will develop an addiction. These are facts.

Vick can never own any dogs again so the future risk of him killing dogs is nonexistent. A drug addict can always relapse, look at Steve Howe, Strawberry, LT, Diego Maradona. A drug addiction problem is always there posing a risk even if it's a small one.

So we have no risk versus risk. Which one is more of a concern if your a GM? Don't rush to answer read it 3 times and let the final question soak in.

The defense rests. Vaya con dios.

NY_Eli
05-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Holy cow I can't believe this thread hasn't been deleted yet lol

nycsportzfan
05-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Webster</P>

TT</P>

Amukumura</P>

Hosley</P>

B.Johnson</P>

</P>

Thats a sick 5 CB's right there.. </P>

fletch842
05-06-2012, 08:18 AM
perhaps it will rival the old Jonas Seawright thread from a few years back

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 09:19 AM
perhaps it will rival the old Jonas Seawright thread from a few years back

My apologies to the Moderator for straying off topic. I did try to at least relate my ranting to the OP's topic of discussion.

Hosley may be the pick of this draft for the Giants. I read some report that said he was slow, so I didn't think much about the pick. 4.48 is all the speed you need to play CB in the NFL.

I love the way he tackles as well. We may have the best tackling CBs in the league.

G-Man67
05-06-2012, 12:16 PM
sounds like he plays with a chip on his shoulder ... he's been told he can't be a top corner b/c of his height and he is out to prove everyone wrong

jimsgints
05-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Wow.. My dad, a retired computer programmer has not touched a keyboard since his retirement. (many years ago) so I print entertaining and/or informative string for him to enjoy. Of course, I don't always say I am when I print one. This one he'll like, although it does help me make my point on this discussion we recently had. Thanks..
Oh, yea, Hosley was a great pick and I trust this pick was another good one. He'll be fine.

lawl
05-06-2012, 06:39 PM

Its considered a gateway drug because the people that created the term are completely ******ed. Marijuana does not make anyone want to do another drug. Marijuana doesn't buy crack for you and light the pipe. The person does. This whole idea of "gateway drug" is ******ed.

I'd venture to say that people involved in dog fighting or dog killing are much more likely to have also committed other crimes than people who aren't involved in dog fighting. Does that mean dog fighting is a gateway crime?

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 07:20 PM

Its considered a gateway drug because the people that created the term are completely ******ed. Marijuana does not make anyone want to do another drug. Marijuana doesn't buy crack for you and light the pipe. The person does. This whole idea of "gateway drug" is ******ed.

I'd venture to say that people involved in dog fighting or dog killing are much more likely to have also committed other crimes than people who aren't involved in dog fighting. Does that mean dog fighting is a gateway crime?

I respectfully disagree. Whenever a physical addiction is present the need and the amount of drugs has a propensity to grow over time in many cases. The need for a stronger high leads them to try harder drugs. The vast majority of marijuana smokers don't experience this but it's a reality for some portion of that 9% that do get addicted.

How many people make illegal bets on the SB in America? Would you also venture that they are much more likely to commit other crimes? Pointing out the flaw in the logic.

I agree that the more a person breaks a law(s) the easier it is for that person to participate in illegal activities. What's illegal and legal is not the line that people draw between right and wrong. Morals are personal.

Hosley doesn't need to understand that marijuana is bad or unethical to smoke. He needs to understand that right or wrong he is endangering his career by smoking marijuana.

He wrote the letter apologizing for his behavior so I think he gets it.

lawl
05-07-2012, 01:41 AM

I respectfully disagree. Whenever a physical addiction is present the need and the amount of drugs has a propensity to grow over time in many cases. The need for a stronger high leads them to try harder drugs. The vast majority of marijuana smokers don't experience this but it's a reality for some portion of that 9% that do get addicted.

How many people make illegal bets on the SB in America? Would you also venture that they are much more likely to commit other crimes? Pointing out the flaw in the logic.

I agree that the more a person breaks a law(s) the easier it is for that person to participate in illegal activities. What's illegal and legal is not the line that people draw between right and wrong. Morals are personal.

Hosley doesn't need to understand that marijuana is bad or unethical to smoke. He needs to understand that right or wrong he is endangering his career by smoking marijuana.

The desire of a stronger "high" does not come from marijuana. It comes from the people that want a stronger high, it is a personal choice. Marijuana absolutely does not make people do other drugs. This is a fact. Marijuana is only addictive because of peoples personal choices. There is no addictive substance in weed. This, again, is fact.

The drug itself does not contribute to these things at all. It is about personal responsibility.

giantsfan420
05-07-2012, 07:33 AM
I also want to add that saying weed is addictive bc 9% can possibly bc addicted to it is like saying "well 9% of people who are stung by bees die, so bee stings are deadly."

no offense intended at all B&R, you've presented your stance very well. but I'd say that only 9% will possibly bc addicted as a statistic that proves marijuana ISN'T addictive...

B&RWarrior
05-07-2012, 10:17 AM
The desire of a stronger "high" does not come from marijuana. It comes from the people that want a stronger high, it is a personal choice. Marijuana absolutely does not make people do other drugs. This is a fact. Marijuana is only addictive because of peoples personal choices. There is no addictive substance in weed. This, again, is fact.

The drug itself does not contribute to these things at all. It is about personal responsibility.

Call a doctor or a rehab professional and argue with them. You won't get very far with your argument though. You'll say, "This is what I think...." and they'll say "This is the clinical proof that I have to the contrary. This is what I do for a living. This is not debatable."

My stance is not that an addiction to marijuana has to be negative or even that it has to limit your productivity. Many functional drug addicts live productive lives and take care of all their responsibilities and then some.

If it wasn't against the rules and Hosley played better while he was high I would sent him a triple chambered bong express mail.

I see thing one way and you see things another and that's okay. We'll agree to disagree. Go Giants!!!

B&RWarrior
05-07-2012, 10:29 AM
I also want to add that saying weed is addictive bc 9% can possibly bc addicted to it is like saying "well 9% of people who are stung by bees die, so bee stings are deadly."

no offense intended at all B&R, you've presented your stance very well. but I'd say that only 9% will possibly bc addicted as a statistic that proves marijuana ISN'T addictive...

If we're rounding 9% is just about 1 out of 10 marijuana smokers that develop an addiction. Do 1 out 10 bee stings result in death- not even close. I get the jist of what your saying but this is not a good comparison.

I think it should be legalized. 15% of people that drink develop an addiction to alcohol yet somehow at 9% weed is seen as more of a threat to society even though it's used for medicinal purposes. When's the last time the doc prescribed some Jack to cure a cold? This doesn't change my stance that there is still a low probability of addiction from smoking weed.

And as long as its against the law Hosely needs to lay off the hasish.

JesseJames
05-07-2012, 10:39 AM
this thread started out pretty good but then ZZZZZZZZ.

Drez
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM

I respectfully disagree. <font color="#0000FF">1.</font>Whenever a physical addiction is present the need and the amount of drugs has a propensity to grow over time in many cases. <font color="#0000FF">2.</font>The need for a stronger high leads them to try harder drugs. <font color="#0000FF">3.</font>The vast majority of marijuana smokers don't experience this but it's a reality for some portion of that 9% that do get addicted.

<font color="#0000FF">4. </font>How many people make illegal bets on the SB in America? Would you also venture that they are much more likely to commit other crimes? Pointing out the flaw in the logic.

<font color="#0000FF">5. </font>I agree that the more a person breaks a law(s) the easier it is for that person to participate in illegal activities. What's illegal and legal is not the line that people draw between right and wrong. <font color="#0000FF">6. </font>Morals are personal.

<font color="#0000FF">7. </font>Hosley doesn't need to understand that marijuana is bad or unethical to smoke. He needs to understand that right or wrong he is endangering his career by smoking marijuana.

1) Marijuana is not physically addictive. It is to a small extent psychologically addictive, as is almost anything that alters one's mood. That would include exercise. Ever hear of "runner's high?" Yes, as tolerance increases, one usually does need to intake more of a substance to get a similar effect. Again, this goes for nearly everything that alters mood and is not specific to marijuana.

2) Completely false. To what extent that people try other drugs after using marijuana has nothing to do with the need for a stronger high, or rather that the percentage of people that that might occur in is such a small percentage that it is completely irrelevant. There is considerable data that shows that environmental factors, socialization, and the individual psychology of the person (such as, what was the reason a person began getting high to begin with; was it due to low self-esteem? was it because they like to get high at parties? I could go on with examples, but I think those two are sufficient for now).

3) Again, to whatever extent the estimated 9% are addicted, it is psychologically addicted and not physically.

4) It isn't a flaw in his logic, it's a flaw in yours. It actually isn't illegal in most places to place a bet with a bookie or any other non-legal source. And even in those places where it is illegal it usually isn't prosecuted. So, yeah, placing "illegal" bets is right up there with jay walking and going 35mph in a 30mph zone on the crime hierarchy. Actually, it's below those because you can actually get ticketed for those things. And yes, people who commit on crime are more likely to commit others. However, there is quite the difference between smoking pot and organizing and running a dog fighting racket, which is why the legal penalties and moral judgements of the one is much harsher than that of the other.

5) You are right, what's legal and illegal isn't necessarily what is right and wrong. However, there is a big difference between smoking a blunt occasionally and forcing animals to fight (many times to their death) against their wills for entertainment, then many times torturing and killing them if they do not perform well. Though both are illegal, one isn't immoral the other is. Actually, one of them isn't even a moral act.

6) Wrong. I don't have the time or desire to go into all of the reasons that is wrong, but just know that you are completely and totally wrong.

7. Yes, smoking when ever it was the he smoked did and could endanger his career. I think he realizes that, otherwise we wouldn't have drafted him. However, I think the coaching staff would be much more reticent in drafting him had he been involved in a violent criminal act, such as dog fighting.

Drez
05-07-2012, 10:47 AM

Call a doctor or a rehab professional and argue with them. You won't get very far with your argument though. You'll say, "This is what I think...." and they'll say "This is the clinical proof that I have to the contrary. This is what I do for a living. This is not debatable."

My stance is not that an addiction to marijuana has to be negative or even that it has to limit your productivity. Many functional drug addicts live productive lives and take care of all their responsibilities and then some.

If it wasn't against the rules and Hosley played better while he was high I would sent him a triple chambered bong express mail.

I see thing one way and you see things another and that's okay. We'll agree to disagree. Go Giants!!!

I'll say this again, because you just don't seem to get it. <u>MARIJUANA IS NOT PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE. EVERY DOCTOR ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET WILL TELL YOU THAT!!!</u>

B&RWarrior
05-07-2012, 11:26 AM

I'll say this again, because you just don't seem to get it. <u>MARIJUANA IS NOT PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE. EVERY DOCTOR ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET WILL TELL YOU THAT!!!</u>

<font size="5"> Your right and I'm wrong. There's nothing more to be said</font> Go Giants!!

JPP
05-07-2012, 12:19 PM

Could have been while he was drunk. Not justifying it just saying his judgement could have already been impaired leading him to not think of the consequences or maybe even realize what he was smoking had weed in it. Spliff anyone?

And buddy is right there is no addictive properties. People become addicted to removing themselves from the situation and relaxing, which is what weed does for them gives them an escape. Is it physically addictive? No but people with addictive personalities or lots of problems that use weed as a temporary escape can develop mental addictions which is really a personal thing and can happen with almost any kind of behavior not just drugs. BTW caffeine and sugar are drugs too and alter your state of mind and even cause addictions as well but nobody has any problems with these.

B&RWarrior
05-07-2012, 12:36 PM

I respectfully disagree. <font color="#0000FF">1.</font>Whenever a physical addiction is present the need and the amount of drugs has a propensity to grow over time in many cases. <font color="#0000FF">2.</font>The need for a stronger high leads them to try harder drugs. <font color="#0000FF">3.</font>The vast majority of marijuana smokers don't experience this but it's a reality for some portion of that 9% that do get addicted.

<font color="#0000FF">4. </font>How many people make illegal bets on the SB in America? Would you also venture that they are much more likely to commit other crimes? Pointing out the flaw in the logic.

<font color="#0000FF">5. </font>I agree that the more a person breaks a law(s) the easier it is for that person to participate in illegal activities. What's illegal and legal is not the line that people draw between right and wrong. <font color="#0000FF">6. </font>Morals are personal.

<font color="#0000FF">7. </font>Hosley doesn't need to understand that marijuana is bad or unethical to smoke. He needs to understand that right or wrong he is endangering his career by smoking marijuana.

1) Marijuana is not physically addictive. It is to a small extent psychologically addictive, as is almost anything that alters one's mood. That would include exercise. Ever hear of "runner's high?" Yes, as tolerance increases, one usually does need to intake more of a substance to get a similar effect. Again, this goes for nearly everything that alters mood and is not specific to marijuana.

2) Completely false. To what extent that people try other drugs after using marijuana has nothing to do with the need for a stronger high, or rather that the percentage of people that that might occur in is such a small percentage that it is completely irrelevant. There is considerable data that shows that environmental factors, socialization, and the individual psychology of the person (such as, what was the reason a person began getting high to begin with; was it due to low self-esteem? was it because they like to get high at parties? I could go on with examples, but I think those two are sufficient for now).

3) Again, to whatever extent the estimated 9% are addicted, it is psychologically addicted and not physically.

4) It isn't a flaw in his logic, it's a flaw in yours. It actually isn't illegal in most places to place a bet with a bookie or any other non-legal source. And even in those places where it is illegal it usually isn't prosecuted. So, yeah, placing "illegal" bets is right up there with jay walking and going 35mph in a 30mph zone on the crime hierarchy. Actually, it's below those because you can actually get ticketed for those things. And yes, people who commit on crime are more likely to commit others. However, there is quite the difference between smoking pot and organizing and running a dog fighting racket, which is why the legal penalties and moral judgements of the one is much harsher than that of the other.

5) You are right, what's legal and illegal isn't necessarily what is right and wrong. However, there is a big difference between smoking a blunt occasionally and forcing animals to fight (many times to their death) against their wills for entertainment, then many times torturing and killing them if they do not perform well. Though both are illegal, one isn't immoral the other is. Actually, one of them isn't even a moral act.

6) Wrong. I don't have the time or desire to go into all of the reasons that is wrong, but just know that you are completely and totally wrong.

7. Yes, smoking when ever it was the he smoked did and could endanger his career. I think he realizes that, otherwise we wouldn't have drafted him. However, I think the coaching staff would be much more reticent in drafting him had he been involved in a violent criminal act, such as dog fighting.

I'll let the addiction thing go. My original point was that weed can be addictive for small minority of smokers. Now your saying psychologically addictive but not physically addictive after you took the time to do some research. Your right I'm wrong- you can't argue with that.

"It actually isn't illegal in most places to place a bet with a bookie or any other non-legal source." You lost me here. Laws on gambling vary from state to state. The large majority of bets placed on the SB are illegal.

If you smoke weed your more likely to participate in activities that you relate to smoking marijuana. If you run a dog racket your more likely to try crimes that you relate to the dog racket. It depends on the person what these activities are. Neither activity has a direct correlation to participation in other criminal activity.

You see dog fighting as a violent activity and immoral. Most people that fight dogs see it as a sport and have no moral qualms about it.

Next thing to research is dog fighting. I have friends that have owned dogs "bred" for fighitng. I have live with "fighting dogs" I've owned a cross bred dog that was considered "game". I've never myself fought dogs.

These dogs are aggressive to other dogs by instinct. You don't have to force them to fight other dogs you have to stop them from fighting other dogs.

Example: My roommate had 2 Boudreaux pits which he never fought. This is a fighting line of pit bulls, He had to give one away because they would always fight each other and it would scare the kids. It was a father and his daughter too. He couldn't own another dog as long as he had the fighting pit.

Put 2 dogs that have been bred for fighting in close quarters and it the result is pretty much guaranteed.

I like dogs a lot, working breed dogs are my favorite. If you ever research how they are bred or the history of pit bulls you will understand how the breed developed and how aggression towards other dogs can be bred into their instincts. I still do not condone fighting. of dogs.

Morals are personal and there is no way to be wrong or right on the subject. After getting into 5 accidents I may think driving above the speed limit is immoral. If my grandfather fights dogs and my neighbors fight dogs then I might think that fighting dogs is A-okay. I can tell you feel better about yourself when your right. I like when people are happy so I'll say your right I'm wrong.

People want to hang Mike Vick, but he did his time. Paid his debt to society and then some. He owes no one an apology. I find the manner in which he killed the dogs disturbing and don't understand why he had to electrocute them and drown them with his bare hands. I've been around people that fight dogs and everybody agreed this seemed extreme. Even still he paid the price,

Every draft pick is a risk. A guy who fails a drug test at the most inopportune time in his life is a bigger risk. IDK much about Hosely but I'm hoping for the best.

As I stated in an earlier post, we hunt rabbits, deer,and bears for sport we kill fish, chicken, and cows because we like meat, but we don't NEED it to survive. We wear fur coats, leather jackets, alligator skin shoes and wallets, and have leather interior in our cars etc. etc. In the year 2012 none of these things are NEEDED in America.

Dogs provide us with companionship so we value their lives more than these other animals but in truth their lives are no more valuable. The animals above are killed in cold blood and some are kept in pens for their entire lives until they are slaughtered. None of this done out of need. Some of it done for money, some for sport and amusement, but none of it is a necessity.
Yet the outcry for these other animals pails in comparison to that of dogs. The height of hypocrisy.

giantsfan420
05-07-2012, 01:26 PM

if you call up a rehab u think they'd turn down busniess and say "no marijuana isnt addictive"? that'd be like if I called McDonalds and ask "subway says they're healthier, should I eat lunch from them?" its bad business...and rehabs are based upon the misconception about pot being addictive and thats not even true of every rehab. i had to go to one a couple times and they full out admitted its not addictive, they based the reasoning on why not to smoke on the trouble and possible punishments one can receive for smoking...

I used to be THE BIGGEST POTHEAD...I quit NO PROBLEM...i literally, without incriminating myself so try and read between the lines, supported myself thanks to it...

and my ma is allergic to bees u'd be surprised, i used the bee example bc 1 in 10 people at the least are allergic to their bites and can die if they don't use the epipen thing...so is it fair to say generally and applying to everyone "if you get stung by a bee you will die"?

edit- and the gateway drug is yet another misconception. if anything, in my experience with pot involving the people i know, pot was actually the anti gateway drug...they'd avoid other drugs bc they were very happy with pot, knew it wasnt addictive, and not 1/10 as dangerous as other drugs including alcohol and tobacco

i suggest you watch one of the many excellent documentaries based upon solid research...the whole anti marijuana movement began earlier in the 1900's and i forget the term but it was marijuana propaganda...it was also believed that smoking marijuana would cause u to jump off buildings and kill your parents...there was a ton of lies and propaganda used to stop people from using pot...

alot of it came from industrial tycoons of the cotton, tobacco, and alcohol industries...hemp blows cotton out of the water in virtually every way cotton can be used...hemp would replace so many of the products people who thrive in our economy produce...it'd also save our economy if taxed and legalized, and illegal is americas 4th leading cash crop, if it was legal it'd be 1...the war on drugs is based on fraudulent claims and hysteria, all the while its mainstream news that the gov't and many of the top banks smuggle drugs, make billions off it, and launder drug money

B&RWarrior
05-07-2012, 02:57 PM

Could have been while he was drunk. Not justifying it just saying his judgement could have already been impaired leading him to not think of the consequences or maybe even realize what he was smoking had weed in it. Spliff anyone?

And buddy is right there is no addictive properties. People become addicted to removing themselves from the situation and relaxing, which is what weed does for them gives them an escape. Is it physically addictive? No but people with addictive personalities or lots of problems that use weed as a temporary escape can develop mental addictions which is really a personal thing and can happen with almost any kind of behavior not just drugs. BTW caffeine and sugar are drugs too and alter your state of mind and even cause addictions as well but nobody has any problems with these.

The part of my thread you probably missed.

I think it should be legalized. 15% of people that drink develop an addiction to alcohol yet somehow at 9% weed is seen as more of a threat to society even though it's used for medicinal purposes. When's the last time the doc prescribed some Jack to cure a cold? .

Drez
05-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Next thing to research is dog fighting. I have friends that have owned dogs "bred" for fighitng. I have live with "fighting dogs" I've owned a cross bred dog that was considered "game". I've never myself fought dogs.

These dogs are aggressive to other dogs by instinct. You don't have to force them to fight other dogs you have to stop them from fighting other dogs.

Example: My roommate had 2 Boudreaux pits which he never fought. This is a fighting line of pit bulls, He had to give one away because they would always fight each other and it would scare the kids. It was a father and his daughter too. He couldn't own another dog as long as he had the fighting pit.

Put 2 dogs that have been bred for fighting in close quarters and it the result is pretty much guaranteed.

I don't have time to reply to your entire post right now, but I have to address this one issue. You admit that these dogs were "bred" for fighting, which you claim means that they are aggressive by nature. Au contraire, mon frere. The key word in this is bred, which means that humans intervened and purposefully selected that trait to propagate in future generations of the animal. While those dogs may have been naturally aggressive to begin with (not all animals are cute and cuddly), human intervention has accentuated that trait. There is also a distinction between what an animal will do of its own volition (however limited that may be) and it being bred/forced to do it for a human beings enjoyment.

Drez
05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
i suggest you watch one of the many excellent documentaries based upon solid research...the whole anti marijuana movement began earlier in the 1900's and i forget the term but it was marijuana propaganda...it was also believed that smoking marijuana would cause u to jump off buildings and kill your parents...there was a ton of lies and propaganda used to stop people from using pot...

alot of it came from industrial tycoons of the cotton, tobacco, and alcohol industries...hemp blows cotton out of the water in virtually every way cotton can be used...hemp would replace so many of the products people who thrive in our economy produce...it'd also save our economy if taxed and legalized, and illegal is americas 4th leading cash crop, if it was legal it'd be 1...the war on drugs is based on fraudulent claims and hysteria, all the while its mainstream news that the gov't and many of the top banks smuggle drugs, make billions off it, and launder drug money

"Reefer Madness" is the propaganda film you're thinking of.

And actually, the prohibition on pot has nothing to do with the industrial uses of hemp. The movement to make pot (and other narcotics illegal) didn't happen until the 1930's after the 21st Amendment repealed Prohibition (18th Amendment).

B&RWarrior
05-07-2012, 04:18 PM

I don't have time to reply to your entire post right now, but I have to address this one issue. You admit that these dogs were "bred" for fighting, which you claim means that they are aggressive by nature. Au contraire, mon frere. The key word in this is bred, which means that humans intervened and purposefully selected that trait to propagate in future generations of the animal. While those dogs may have been naturally aggressive to begin with (not all animals are cute and cuddly), human intervention has accentuated that trait. There is also a distinction between what an animal will do of its own volition (however limited that may be) and it being bred/forced to do it for a human beings enjoyment.

You're obviously an intelligent guy and who knows you may even enjoy reading about dog breeding. Even if you don't agree with dog fighting it would be good to be informed on a topic you feel so passionately about. It's pretty fascinating stuff. APBT are my favorite breed of dog, followed by the Neapolitan Mastiff. Smart, strong, loyal, awesome.

Maybe Hosely should take up dog breeding to make up for the time he spent puffing ganja.

If you just want to argue this point just remember you're right and I'm wrong and we can avoid the argument.

giantsfan420
05-07-2012, 05:13 PM

"Reefer Madness" is the propaganda film you're thinking of.

And actually, the prohibition on pot has nothing to do with the industrial uses of hemp. The movement to make pot (and other narcotics illegal) didn't happen until the 1930's after the 21st Amendment repealed Prohibition (18th Amendment).**

well I disagree on that aspect. I absolutely believe the hysteria and propaganda tied to marijuana usage to this very day has ties to the industries that would be destroyed by hemp. You may be right about the dates and from that aspect I'd agree, but that doesn't mean afterwards that the use of hemp wasnt a factor in the ongoing propaganda and lies about marijuana usage...

RichGiants81
05-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Back to the football aspect, I can't wait to see him in pre season action in a couple months