PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Armstead Question

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm bored so I thought I might get some input on Armstead. When he entered the league he was about 205. He got up to about 238 lbs. My friends used to joke that Jesse was on roids the way he blew up.

Looking back I can honestly say that packing on that kind muscle in a 2 year period is phenomenal. I think the guy was juicing. The older I get the less likely I am too assess every Giants team or player with rose colored glasses.

Not trying to be a troll, just interested to see what other peoples thoughts were on J Armstead. He's my favorite player after LT. Yes I like him more than Strahan.

RagTime Blue
05-06-2012, 01:29 AM
He was a good player on some very mediocre teams.

As for the 'roids, in this country you're innocent until proven guilty. I see no reason Armstead's legacy should be tarnished.

jmike
05-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Jesse Armstead weighed in at 235 prior to the 1993 draft.

bigblue5611
05-06-2012, 02:12 AM
why are you posting something ridiculous about jesse armstead when you you should've been watching Eli's stellar performance on SNL?

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Jesse Armstead weighed in at 235 prior to the 1993 draft.

Not even close my friend. I'm a loyal fan of the U and he wasn't anywhere near 230. The Bermuda Triangle was known to be undersized, fast, and furious.

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 10:10 AM

As for the 'roids, in this country you're innocent until proven guilty.* I see no reason Armstead's legacy should be tarnished.

Armstead was a great player not just good. If he didnt' get hurt he'd be a HOFer.

I think Roids was a part of that football era. I don't think it tarnishes any football players legacy. Roids can only add strength and decrease muscle recovery time from fatigue and some injuries. Roids never made anybody a better player. Armstead was the same player he was at Miami just way bigger.

nhpgiantsfan
05-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Where is this coming from? 98 hasn't played in like ten years. Did he ever get the 4 game rip? No! So it's a non issue. Why would a Giants fan with absolutely no evidence at all come on here and attempt to tarnish the career of a fan favorite. Take a walk buddy!

allentown PA
05-06-2012, 10:53 AM

As for the 'roids, in this country you're innocent until proven guilty.* I see no reason Armstead's legacy should be tarnished.

Armstead was a great player not just good. If he didnt' get hurt he'd be a HOFer.

I think Roids was a part of that football era. I don't think it tarnishes any football players legacy. Roids can only add strength and decrease muscle recovery time from fatigue and some injuries. Roids never made anybody a better player. Armstead was the same player he was at Miami just way bigger.

Love armstead too but even if healthy he was never going to sniff the Hall..Idk about ur point about roids not making someone a better player either.

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Where is this coming from? 98 hasn't played in like ten years. Did he ever get the 4 game rip? No! So it's a non issue. Why would a Giants fan with absolutely no evidence at all come on here and attempt to tarnish the career of a fan favorite. Take a walk buddy!

Long offseason and I'm tired of talking about Osi. MBs may not be the place for you as there tend to be lots of varying opinions. Me, I'm in my comfort zone. I learn so much from those that don't see things the way I do. I look for opposing views to help grow my perpective.

Like I said I don't think roids tarnishes his rep. That's just my opinion.

jmike
05-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Sorry...you are mistaken. He may have played at Miami at 205; however, prior to the draft he weighed in at 235. Look it up and you will see.

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 11:14 AM

Love armstead too but even if healthy he was never going to sniff the Hall..Idk about ur point about roids not making someone a better player either.

Okay you have a point but those few years of dominance he was the best thing going at OLB. Of course I'm biased.

I guess roids can add strength so your ability to take on double teams and make and break tackles and shed blockers is enhanced so you're probably right in that sense roids makes you a better player.

John Saunders had a piece on the Sports Reporters where he talks about how roids didn't ruin baseball and how the older era players had advantages that today's players don't have making the roids issue a moot point,

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Sorry...you are mistaken. He may have played at Miami at 205; however, prior to the draft he weighed in at 235. Look it up and you will see.

I tried to look it up and couldn't find anything. If you find it post it. Thanks.

BlueSanta
05-06-2012, 12:34 PM

That may have been his listed playing wieght in the program guide, but he played much closer to 220.

Jesse was 1 of the most highly recruited players in the country coming out of high school. His biggest claim to fame coming out of high school(little known fact) was that he was the 1st player to ever be named All-American 3 years in high school.
However, he was only about 200 lbs coming out of high school and many teams wanted him to play safety. Reportedly, Jimmy Johnson promised him a chance to play LB and that was a key factor in his decision. However, shortly after being recruited JJ announced his intention to leave for the Cowboys. Reports were that Armstead was about to ask out of his commitment until Dennis Erickson came in and upheld the Johnson promise not to move him to safety.

Back then, media guides were often not updated for a players entire college career. It is likely Armstead weighed 205 his freshman year when they took his info and they just didnt update it. But he was bigger by the time he left. A lot pf programs still do this, althogh not as much with the big name players.

nhpgiantsfan
05-06-2012, 02:28 PM

Long offseason and I'm tired of talking about Osi. MBs may not be the place for you as there tend to be lots of varying opinions. Me, I'm in my comfort zone. I learn so much from those that
don't see things the way I do. I look for opposing views to help
grow my perpective.

Like I said I don't think roids tarnishes his rep. That's just my
opinion.

I am all for varying opinions on MB's. Actually I've been on here a lot longer than you. However, I get real pissed when people come on here and troll and start rumors without one ounce of fact to back it up. Your speculation has no merit, and as a huge Armstead fan it gets me going.

allentown PA
05-06-2012, 05:05 PM

Okay you have a point but those few years of dominance he was the best thing going at OLB. Of course I'm biased.

I guess roids can add strength so your ability to take on double teams and make and break tackles and shed blockers is enhanced so you're probably right in that sense roids makes you a better player.

John Saunders had a piece on the Sports Reporters where he talks about how roids didn't ruin baseball and how the older era players had advantages that today's players don't have making the roids issue a moot point,

I knew I heard he was a safety at some point too.

RichGiants81
05-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Jesse was one of the best giants ever which means he could def "sniff the hall" if he didn't get hurt so bad. I highly doubt he was on the gas, why stop at 238 which is still small for an nfl linebacker and not try for 250? He def coulda done it if he was on the gear. Either way , respect to him for being a great giant

allentown PA
05-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Jesse was one of the best giants ever which means he could def "sniff the hall" if he didn't get hurt so bad. I highly doubt he was on the gas, why stop at 238 which is still small for an nfl linebacker and not try for 250? He def coulda done it if he was on the gear. Either way , respect to him for being a great giant

Big fan of Armstead, he was one of my favorites..but your way off if you think he was a HOF type player..don't be foolish.

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 05:26 PM

I knew I heard he was a safety at some point too.

They wanted to make him a safety because he was so small. He was a LB at the U and just as vicious. Many a RB/TE/WR lost their heart and/or love for the game in the "Bermuda Triangle". (Bermuda Triangle= S-Darrin Smith, MLB-Michael Barrow, OLB- Jessie Armstead)

RichGiants81
05-06-2012, 05:28 PM
I think a few more years on that level could have made it a realistic concept? I think you may have just forgotten what a beast he was, I still watch the old highlight tapes all the time. He was one of the best giants lbs ever. Not only that he was a leader on defense, dude never shut up on the field

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 05:34 PM

Big fan of Armstead, he was one of my favorites..but your way off if you think he was a HOF type player..don't be foolish.

IDK, 5 pro bowls is pretty close to HOF territory. If he can't sniff it then how is Eli a lock for the HOF with 2 or 3 dominant seasons? Just saying.

greenca190
05-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Worse things have happened within the Miami University football program than some guys roiding. I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm not sold on it or anything.

Also have to remember though, that throughout high school he was working at a high school level. Miami's athletic team might as well have been NFL trainers.

allentown PA
05-06-2012, 05:44 PM

IDK, 5 pro bowls is pretty close to HOF territory. If he can't sniff it then how is Eli a lock for the HOF with 2 or 3 dominant seasons? Just saying.

Honestly I don't know if Eli is a HOF either..but yes Armstead made 5 probowls and is one my personal favs and from 97 to 2001 was very good but I don't think I've ever heard his named mentioned for the hall until now..he just wasnt that level of a player imo...I'm pretty strict with my standards for the hall...I also dont think Harry Carson was a HOF player.

allentown PA
05-06-2012, 05:48 PM

he was not better than carl banks and banks is not in the hall...Armstead is the 6th best linebakcer in giant history imo..thats pretty good

RagTime Blue
05-06-2012, 06:06 PM

he was not better than carl banks and banks is not in the hall...Armstead is the 6th best linebakcer in giant history imo.<font size="6">.thats pretty good</font>

True enough. Getting into the HOF wouldn't have changed his body of work at all. Who cares what some sportswriters think?

Jesse A. was a bright spot in a rather dark period for Giants fans.

Was and always will be a fan fave!

allentown PA
05-06-2012, 06:27 PM

he was not better than carl banks and banks is not in the hall...Armstead is the 6th best linebakcer in giant history imo.<font size="6">.thats pretty good</font>

True enough.* Getting into the HOF wouldn't have changed his body of work at all.* Who cares what some sportswriters think?

Jesse A. was a bright spot in a rather dark period for Giants fans.*

Was and always will be a fan fave!

agreed, he is top on my list of all time fav giants, picked in the later rounds, turned into an all pro player, miss him.

Mod_C
05-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm bored so I thought I might get some input on Armstead. When he entered the league he was about 205. He got up to about 238 lbs. My friends used to joke that Jesse was on roids the way he blew up.

Looking back I can honestly say that packing on that kind muscle in a 2 year period is phenomenal. I think the guy was juicing. The older I get the less likely I am too assess every Giants team or player with rose colored glasses.

Not trying to be a troll, just interested to see what other peoples thoughts were on J Armstead. He's my favorite player after LT. Yes I like him more than Strahan.

Sent you a PM

PIERCEnumber58rules
05-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Who knows. I used to think 75% of the league juiced. It's amazing how "thick" some of these guy's muscles are, which you can see with steroids. But a couple things to think about are: 1) These kids are in there muscle building prime due to higher testosterone levels and younger metabolism, and 2) To make it to the NFL, you gotta have superior genetics. These guys are the best of the best. To play in the NFL, you gotta be blessed with super-human athleticism. 3) Their who entire lives are basically spent training, and they have the best nutritionists, supplement coaches & weight trainers aiding them.

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 08:54 PM
I sent a reply.

B&RWarrior
05-06-2012, 08:55 PM

Sent you a PM

I sent you a reply.

RichGiants81
05-06-2012, 11:39 PM

he was not better than carl banks and banks is not in the hall...Armstead is the 6th best linebakcer in giant history imo..thats pretty good

Funny you mention banks because I think he belongs in there too, I still think you are out of line for calling me foolish for thinking that Jessie could have made an argument for the hof had he remained healthy a few more years.

allentown PA
05-06-2012, 11:59 PM

Funny you mention banks because I think he belongs in there too, I still think you are out of line for calling me foolish for thinking that Jessie could have made an argument for the hof had he remained healthy a few more years.

didnt mean to be out of line or offend...I just think your wrong..I hate arguing against banks and armstead but I'm sorry neither one of them are even close imo