PDA

View Full Version : CHECKING IN WITH TRAVIS BECKUM

RoanokeFan
05-06-2012, 07:57 PM
CHECKING IN WITH TRAVIS BECKUM (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/05/checking-in-with-travis-beckum)

"The Giants may not be banking on having Travis Beckum at the start of the
2012 season. But there's a pretty good chance that it might happen.

Beckum was at Sunday's Knicks-Heat game, and he told the Daily News that he's
still hoping to return by the start of the season.</p>

"If everything works out, yeah," he said. "I'm just working hard and getting
it healthy."</p>

Just two months after surgery, Beckum, who tore his ACL and meniscus in Super
Bowl XLVI, is already moving around without a brace and feeling next to no pain.
He had surgery on Feb. 28, then spent three weeks using a passive machine to
regain his range of motion. He's already progressed to strength exercises, and
there was no sign of crutches when he showed up at the Garden.</p>

He said he hasn't run yet, mostly because there's no need to push it this
early in the offseason.</p>

There's also no need to rush back to health, and Beckum said that he
understands that. The Giants acquired veteran tight end Martellus Bennett in
free agency, and they picked up super-athlete Adrien Robinson in the draft, so
Beckum knows he doesn't need to rush back.</p>

"I can take my time and get healthy," he said.</p>
Beckum said he will be around for the Giants' minicamp this week, but he will
not take part in any activities."

fourth&forever
05-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Any chance the surgery will improve his blocking?

NYFan221
05-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Any chance the surgery will improve his blocking?

i lol'd

but if pope can't help him, i don't think any doctor could.

G-Man67
05-07-2012, 05:24 PM
good news ... Beckum actually made a few plays late in the year and into the playoffs

THE_New_York_Giants
05-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Beckum's only highlight is that huge TD vs Green Bay in the regular season. That's still a hell of a highlight.

jomo
05-07-2012, 05:38 PM
I'd rather just go with a 4 wide receiver set. He can't block andso all he gives us is the 4th receiver who is slower than the other candidates who are true WRs.

Neverend
05-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Beckum's only highlight is that huge TD vs Green Bay in the regular season. That's still a hell of a highlight.

I'd also add he had an extremely impressive catch against the chiefs some years ago as well

... and that might be about it lol

giantsfan420
05-07-2012, 06:53 PM
he also had a big day vs the eagles a few seasons ago in philly. i believe he had a 2 td day...i know at least he had one nice td grab...

i think he could still be a viable threat in this offense. if he can get healthy, i'd still give him one more season.

i think we all know by now he's not going to be the typical blocking inline te, but that doesnt mean he cant be effective.

could still use him in motion to crack back block off the edge on toss plays, and he could still create mismatches lining up in the slot getting matched up with a LB or safety...

wouldnt phase me either way, i'm expecting huge things from bennett, but our offense works really well with creating and exploiting mismatches...I could see Cruz and Beckum lining up stacked in the slot and using that to create mismatches...he can give some flexibility and creativity to KG...

Lambeau12
05-08-2012, 04:48 PM
I think Beckum scored against us. Isnt he a fullback?

fourth&forever
05-10-2012, 06:08 PM
a pass catching TE and maybe someday an H back. My beef is he's one dimensional. can't block.

RoanokeFan
05-10-2012, 06:11 PM
a pass catching TE and maybe someday an H back. My beef is he's one dimensional. can't block.

He's a very slow WR in disguise. They tried him in the slot and then Victor Cruz laid claim to that position.

jomo
05-10-2012, 06:40 PM
I think Beckum scored against us. Isnt he a fullback? a pass catching TE and maybe someday an H back. My beef is he's one dimensional. can't block.Which makes him nothing more than a slow wide receiver, which means no place on our roster for him IMO.

giantsfan420
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
hes actually not that slow...he doesnt have great speed but he does actually have some speed. i think he looks slow at times bc he isnt sure of what he needs to do...

he cant block as a typical te, but he could still be used like d clark used in motion to crackblock on a LB on toss plays...like line him out wide, motion him into the line snap it before he sets, then let him use his motion to crackback block the LB or DE...the original kellen winslow of the chargers was a beast at this

he can still be used to create mismatches, we just havent seen it yet. ideally, id think lining him up in the slot stacked with Cruz could be a matchup nightmare for defenses...

i still think we give him one more chance bc he did start to be used more and more as the season went on late last season...

he'll abuse a LB or S imho, not corners

fourth&forever
05-10-2012, 07:04 PM
I think Beckum scored against us. Isnt he a fullback? a pass catching TE and maybe someday an H back. My beef is he's one dimensional. can't block.Which makes him nothing more than a slow wide receiver, which means no place on our roster for him IMO.
no room for a 1 dimensional TE, IMO too

giantsfan420
05-10-2012, 07:05 PM
i could see him being a 30-40 reception a season guy with 3 or 4 tds...

BlueSanta
05-10-2012, 07:46 PM
i could see him being a 30-40 reception a season guy with 3 or 4 tds...

I think a lot of stuff needs to happen for that to be the case.

He has a hard time seeing the field because in most situations there is another guy who can perform the same job with better versatility. His lack of ability to block really keeps him off the field. He doesnt block any better than our WRs and while he is an ok recieving threat, he isnt better then any of the WRs .

Its just a numbers game.For him to see the field someone else has to come off. Right now, all the people who would come off are clearly better than Beckum in 1 or more aspects of the game.

If he comes on for Hynoski we lose out in the run game bc of poor blocking.

If he comes on in place of the 3rd Wr, we dont get much if any upgrade in the run game because he is so poor at blocking and we lose out in the passing game because our WRs are so good.

He flat out wont come of as a end line blocking TE, he just cant do that even in 2 tight formations. In recent years we have been more likely to play a tackle at TE rather than put him in as a TE. In some goaline
situations we do use him as a H-back type. But you wont get those stats
in that situation.

So unless there is a key injury I just dont see him being on the field enough to get those stats. I think he is fighting for a job this preseason.

In fact, I look at our TEs and think Bennett is obviousy safe. Robinson is a 4th round pick and would have to really dissapoint to not make it. That leaves Pascoe and Beckum to fight it out for the 3rd spot, assuming we keep 3. Pascoe is the backup FB too and unless the udfa rookie RB from Rutgers make the team and takes that backup FB position from Bear, that means Pascoe has to be the favorite going into camp. Dont forget Ballard might still be coming back for this year as well.

I don't think it looks good for him.

RoanokeFan
05-10-2012, 08:09 PM
The title of the thread might be better stated as: TRAVIS BECKUM: CHECKING OUT!