PDA

View Full Version : George Young's letter to my Grandfather.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-06-2012, 10:37 PM
I thought you guys would appreciate this as much as I did. My grandfather wrote George Young a letter regarding how Parcells teated all of his kickers poorly, namely Ali Haji-Sheikh. George Young wrote the following back to my grandfather:

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/QuinPat/GeorgeYoung.jpg

There you go

gmen0820
05-06-2012, 10:47 PM

THE_New_York_Giants
05-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks haha.

BluTri10
05-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Very interesting. Shows the disagreement Bill had with George...ultimately leading to Bill's "retirement". I'm surprised George would even say "making a fool out of himself" regarding Bill. A GM would never write anything like this in the 21st century with internet, twitter...etc.

Thanks for posting!

Drez
05-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Very interesting. Shows the disagreement Bill had with George...ultimately leading to Bill's "retirement". I'm surprised George would even say "making a fool out of himself" regarding Bill. A GM would never write anything like this in the 21st century with internet, twitter...etc.

Thanks for posting!
I actually read that as a subtle jab at the OP's grandfather. "...as I do preventing many fans from the same fate." [my emphasis]

THE_New_York_Giants
05-06-2012, 11:59 PM

Thanks for posting!
I actually read that as a subtle jab at the OP's grandfather. "...as I do preventing many fans from the same fate." [my emphasis]

I think there's truth to both. My grandfather apparently wrote him several times lol. He had been a season ticket holder since 1938 and he wrote them a lot. This is the only thing he's shown us as far as a response though apparently Tim Mara used to write him back regularly.

Drez
05-07-2012, 12:05 AM

Thanks for posting!

I think there's truth to both. My grandfather apparently wrote him several times lol. He had been a season ticket holder since 1938 and he wrote them a lot. This is the only thing he's shown us as far as a response though apparently Tim Mara used to write him back regularly.
That's cool that Mara used to write him back on a regular basis.

As odd as it sounds, as I was reading it I was thinking to myself... "Wow. This may be the first ever 'message board' post ever." lol. From the subtle and playful jab at your grandfather to the last sentence, "Forget Ali," seems like a MB post haha.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-07-2012, 12:15 AM

Thanks for posting!

As odd as it sounds, as I was reading it I was thinking to myself... "Wow. This may be the first ever 'message board' post ever." lol. From the subtle and playful jab at your grandfather to the last sentence, "Forget Ali," seems like a MB post haha.

It was a different time back then. Reading that letter brought a huge smile to my face though.

Drez
05-07-2012, 12:22 AM

Thanks for posting!

It was a different time back then. Reading that letter brought a huge smile to my face though.

No doubt. I can see it being cool that the GM of the Giants took the time out of his day to write a letter (handwritten to boot, talk about it being a different time) to your grandfather.

ashleymarie
05-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks for sharing this with us, TNYG. That's cool. A voice from the past.

YATittle1962
05-07-2012, 01:23 AM
thats awesome

thanks for posting

AceOspadZ4
05-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Defintely cool. A letter my father wrote actually landed us season tickets. In the early 80's the team was so bad that fans were burning their tix in the parking lot. My father being a huge fan unable to get tix due to the waiting list wrote Wellington Mara a letter saying how it was a shame he had to watch from home while fans were burning tix in disgust. Wellington wrote back agreeing with him and said he will see what he can do. The next season Wellington sent another letter asking if my dad would like 2 season tickets. That was 1984 and we still have them today. The Maras are certainly a class act.

carthon44
05-07-2012, 11:14 AM
cool thread.although I dont have the letter,my dad,wjo has since passed away,wrote George Young in 1990 or so just to tell him our family was in Denver,supporting the Giants like we did when we lived in NY.Mr.Young replied,also with a handwritten letter and 3 Giants keychains (for me,my dad and my brother).he thanked us for the support and wished us luck.very cool.</P>

</P>

FloydEddings2
05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Always been a huge fan of George Young and this letter made my day. Ali-Haji Shank, as we used to call him was great but George was right, he just fell of a cliff.