PDA

View Full Version : I'm very sorry people

Morehead State
05-07-2012, 10:49 AM
....but it's time we acknowledge the truth.</P>

<FONT size=4>Our QB is a dork!!!!</FONT></P>

Personally I'm fine with that. Its about the play on the field. But please Eli...PLEASE!!!!...don't do another Saturday Night Live ever again. And while your at it, please don't do another Oreo commercial and maybe you should stop the watch commercials too. As a matter of fact don't do anything where there might be a camera in the general vicinity. (except for football of course)</P>

Stick to being the QB of the New York Giants. Its what you're good at.</P>

I say this with love in my heart for you and my beloved team.</P>

</P>

Morehead has spoken!!</P>

TuckYou
05-07-2012, 10:53 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUloWSzabbQ1xThSKaYEgggBdA78E3z qWTptiiftlIY3G-RLLT</P>

"What did you say?"</P>

Morehead State
05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUloWSzabbQ1xThSKaYEgggBdA78E3z qWTptiiftlIY3G-RLLT</P>

"What did you say?"</P>

</P>

I had to look away.</P>

</P>

Flip Empty
05-07-2012, 11:07 AM
http://i.imgur.com/aw3TN.jpg

Morehead State
05-07-2012, 11:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/aw3TN.jpg</P>

Yeah....That's him.</P>

Rudyy
05-07-2012, 11:09 AM
http://www.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/article_photos/eli-manning-drag-snl_1b.jpg

You made Eli cry.

MikeIsaGiant
05-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Lol, HE'S SUCH A COMEDIAN HAHA.

He was such a dork

TuckYou
05-07-2012, 11:16 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxCfC5YfjIBrclB_EUoCTMnR7JGFSKW VEM6s3an9tWDf31qMbqWA</P>

"I don't think Eli isthat dorky..."</P>

</P>

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-mEJKzdooTQ06CW3Iiqk5ifySJKTBSvQWheFnaH08lWVgqxZ3</P>

"I do. What a dork. Nerds! Nerds! Nerds!"</P>

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvLrbhJZytRgJ3g1dfSxeRGRl5HnrIR nye-tCi6tM3VnP4d39zhttps://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRya0wuSf4duK-fAECXrqy_F2dK-I4-V-am2eJwVNzVmzrnTk0z</P>

"More then me? Duh!"</P>

JPizzack
05-07-2012, 11:18 AM
I love that he's dorky. If he played back when you were a kid, Morehead (what, like....the 1920s?) He would have been such an inspiration to people much like yourself!

THE_New_York_Giants
05-07-2012, 11:22 AM
I was talking with a friend the other day who is a Patriot's fan, and she said "Eli Manning has one facial expression; CONFUSED!" I laughed because it's kind of true.

GMENAGAIN
05-07-2012, 11:24 AM
I actually think that Andrew Luck might be goofier looking than both Eli and Jay Cutler combined (before Luck, I thought that Eli and Cutler were neck-and-neck for the title of goofiest looking NFL QB).</P>

I'll take my goofy-looking two-time SB champ and MVP any day though!</P>

yoeddy
05-07-2012, 11:27 AM
I was talking with a friend the other day who is a Patriot's fan, and she said "Eli Manning has one facial expression; CONFUSED!" I laughed because it's kind of true.

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.3701493.1336282047!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.jpg

giantsfan420
05-07-2012, 11:30 AM
i love when he does things like SNL and the oreo commercials...gives us another aspect besides the one thats strictly him as a football player.

you're not exactly the Fonz either but its still fun every 1 in 38 yrs when u post

jhamburg
05-07-2012, 11:35 AM

Personally I'm fine with that.* Its about the play on the field.* But please Eli...PLEASE!!!!...don't do another Saturday Night Live ever again.** And while your at it, please don't do another Oreo commercial and maybe you should stop the watch commercials too.* As a matter of fact don't do anything where there might be a camera in the general vicinity.* (except for football of course)</P>

Stick to being the QB of the New York Giants.** Its what you're good at.</P>

*</P>

It's true...but in all seriousness, I'd rather have a QB whose personal life is so boring that we never hear about it, than one who gets accused of rape every year, or one who texts **** pics, or one who stages dogfights, or one who is a GQ centerfold, or...

RoanokeFan
05-07-2012, 11:40 AM
....but it's time we acknowledge the truth.</p>

<font size="4">Our QB is a dork!!!!</font></p>

Personally I'm fine with that. Its about the play on the field. But please Eli...PLEASE!!!!...don't do another Saturday Night Live ever again. And while your at it, please don't do another Oreo commercial and maybe you should stop the watch commercials too. As a matter of fact don't do anything where there might be a camera in the general vicinity. (except for football of course)</p>

Stick to being the QB of the New York Giants. Its what you're good at.</p>

I say this with love in my heart for you and my beloved team.</p>

</p>

Morehead has spoken!!</p>

Yes, but he's OUR DORK! [;)]

He gets [Y] [Y] [Y] for being willing to put himself out there

ashleymarie
05-07-2012, 11:53 AM
As his brother, Cooper, says: "Eli is Eli". Every time Eli steps on the field, we becomeONE with him. So essentially we are all dorks.

G-Man67
05-07-2012, 12:10 PM
i liked the little brother thing

G-Stan
05-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't see anything wrong with Eli doing commercials and SNL. Nothing wrong with him being human and having some fun. Everything isn't about football.

NYFan221
05-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I've always called him the poster boy for dorks/awkward people.

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
05-07-2012, 12:27 PM

Personally I'm fine with that.* Its about the play on the field.* But please Eli...PLEASE!!!!...don't do another Saturday Night Live ever again.** And while your at it, please don't do another Oreo commercial and maybe you should stop the watch commercials too.* As a matter of fact don't do anything where there might be a camera in the general vicinity.* (except for football of course)</P>

*</P>

How about this incarnation of SNL being terrible? Some cast of SNL just don't have it. Every couple of years the stars align and SNL gets a very funny young cast. This cast is garbage!

I'm not saying Eli was a shining star, but let's face facts the scripts were corny with the exception of "the little brother skit"

Mod_C
05-07-2012, 12:35 PM

We need to push his expression as THOUGHTFUL [;)]

bELIeve_in_Giants
05-07-2012, 12:36 PM
I love that dork! It's so much more fun to root for a dork! You can keep your pretty boy QBs.

bELIeve_in_Giants
05-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I've said this in other threads, but that was a successful SNL episode. The has never ever (even in the Bill Murry days) produced more that 2-3 memorable skits per episode.

Little Brothers, the Madden motion thing, and the court room all made me laugh.

Who remembers anything Peyton did outside of the united way and the basketball lockerroom skit?

RoanokeFan
05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
I've said this in other threads, but that was a successful SNL episode. The has never ever (even in the Bill Murry days) produced more that 2-3 memorable skits per episode.

Who remembers anything Peyton did outside of the united way and the basketball lockerroom skit?

The guest hosts aren't auditioning. They are mostly successful at whatever they do and get a chance to do something different and cool.

Eli is who Eli is and we don't want that to change.

FBomb
05-07-2012, 12:52 PM
As long as he keeps providing us with Lombardi's...he can dork it up 24-7!!!!!</P>

SweetZombieJesus
05-07-2012, 12:53 PM
So.... we're supposed to have the Stetson Man having children with two supermodels at the same time?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_a7c-frSG7KA/R2Wf534pVOI/AAAAAAAAACg/UePNfNS0BmI/s400/Tom+Brady+Original+Stetson+cr.jpg

I love that Eli is considered the complete opposite yet has beaten him in the big game not once but twice.

Go dorks!

dsd28
05-07-2012, 12:59 PM
agreed, SNL was painful to watch [:$]

Kruunch
05-07-2012, 01:04 PM

*</P>

/agree 1000%

Great QB ... lousy stage presence. I actually felt embarassed watching it.

jhamburg
05-07-2012, 01:09 PM

Everyone always talks about how great the 70s SNLs were, but I honestly didn't find them funny. It seems like everything was based on either a funny voice or physical comedy, but there was no real "joke" to any of it. Granted it was before my time so maybe its a generational thing, but I LOVE all of the 70s/80s era comedies like Caddyshack, Blues Brothers, etc

bELIeve_in_Giants
05-07-2012, 01:14 PM

*</P>

/agree 1000%

You guys are nuts. Go watch Jeter or Brady or Grektsy on SNL. Eli did just fine for an athlete - better than most and they gave him a lot more to do than a typical host.

Kruunch
05-07-2012, 01:19 PM

*</P>

/agree 1000%

You guys are nuts. Go watch Jeter or Brady or Grektsy on SNL. Eli did just fine for an athlete - better than most and they gave him a lot more to do than a typical host.

Hey if it does it for you then [b]

I honestly felt embarassed for him ... he was that bad.

P.S. - I'd love to see what the guys in the locker room are going to do with all that lovely new material.

giantsfan420
05-07-2012, 01:22 PM
i love when he does things like SNL and the oreo commercials...gives us another aspect besides the one thats strictly him as a football player.

you're not exactly the Fonz either but its still fun every 1 in 38 yrs when u post

giantsfan420
05-07-2012, 01:23 PM

*</P>

/agree 1000%

Hey if it does it for you then [b]

I honestly felt embarassed for him ... he was that bad.

P.S. - I'd love to see what the guys in the locker room are going to do with all that lovely new material.

i know it doesnt mean much but i havent read any negative criticisms from any non giants fan or analyst...

B&RWarrior
05-07-2012, 01:24 PM

Personally I'm fine with that.* Its about the play on the field.* But please Eli...PLEASE!!!!...don't do another Saturday Night Live ever again.** And while your at it, please don't do another Oreo commercial and maybe you should stop the watch commercials too.* As a matter of fact don't do anything where there might be a camera in the general vicinity.* (except for football of course)</p>

Stick to being the QB of the New York Giants.** Its what you're good at.</p>

*</p>

Yes, but he's OUR DORK!* [;)]

He gets [Y] [Y] [Y] for being willing to put himself out there

Check your inbox RF. I sent you a PM.

bELIeve_in_Giants
05-07-2012, 01:27 PM
I think my favorie moment was when he threw the grenade in the madden skit. That probably bothered those that want our QB to be macho all of the time :)

Roosevelt
05-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Personally I'm fine with that. Its about the play on the field. But please Eli...PLEASE!!!!...don't do another Saturday Night Live ever again. And while your at it, please don't do another Oreo commercial and maybe you should stop the watch commercials too. As a matter of fact don't do anything where there might be a camera in the general vicinity. (except for football of course)</p>

</p>

How about this incarnation of SNL being terrible? Some cast of SNL just don't have it. Every couple of years the stars align and SNL gets a very funny young cast. This cast is garbage!

I'm not saying Eli was a shining star, but let's face facts the scripts were corny with the exception of "the little brother skit"

^ This.

Most of the scripts sucked. I don't blame Eli for playing along.

After SNL did Jeter as a woman was it really wise to do that with Eli?

The only skit worth anything was the Little Brothers. The rest was a waste.

Roosevelt
05-07-2012, 01:31 PM
I think my favorie moment was when he threw the grenade in the madden skit. That probably bothered those that want our QB to be macho all of the time :)

That was pretty funny.

NJ10
05-07-2012, 01:32 PM
I though he was really funny, LOL at the court room skit. Kewl

giantsfan420
05-07-2012, 01:36 PM
i actually literally laughed out loud several times which never happened before when watching SNL, well for the most part. it used to be quite funny but that was sometime ago

bELIeve_in_Giants
05-07-2012, 01:38 PM
i actually literally laughed out loud several times which never happened before when watching SNL, well for the most part. it used to be quite funny but that was sometime ago

I did too and so did my mother and husband - neither of whom are football fans.

dezzzR
05-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I thought he did well. The skits were absolutely horrible though so I can see why a lot of people didnt think he was funny.

The only good skit was the shades of gray one, and Eli wasnt even in it.

" Im singing on mommys microphone!" lol

gmen46
05-07-2012, 02:17 PM

Everyone always talks about how great the 70s SNLs were, but I honestly didn't find them funny. It seems like everything was based on either a funny voice or physical comedy, but there was no real "joke" to any of it. Granted it was before my time so maybe its a generational thing, but I LOVE all of the 70s/80s era comedies like Caddyshack, Blues Brothers, etc

Are you being ironic here on purpose?

Morehead State
05-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining that he's a dork. I like that about him. I like that he's a poster child for every kid that got his lunch money stolen every day.</P>

I'm just stating the undeniable fact.</P>

bELIeve_in_Giants
05-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Don't get me wrong.* I'm not complaining that he's a dork.* I like that about him.* I like that he's a poster child for every kid that got his lunch money stolen every day.</P>

It's not just that he's a dork, it's that he embraces it. That makes him even cooler.

ashleymarie
05-07-2012, 03:02 PM
^This, bELIeves_in_Giants.

jhamburg
05-07-2012, 03:10 PM

Not sure what's ironic- If you mean that the casts of that movie era being mostly SNL alums, that's my point exactly. I love the movies and the actors I just didn't find the writing on the SNL skits to be all that funny.

LT_was_good
05-07-2012, 03:15 PM

Not sure what's ironic- If you mean that the casts of that movie era being mostly SNL alums, that's my point exactly. I love the movies and the actors I just didn't find the writing on the SNL skits to be all that funny.

SNL's that are at least several years old will rarely be enjoyable to people who didn't watch during that time period. To me, it's not the kind of show that's funny if you don't remember watching when a particular skit was culturally relevant. It's also a rather hit-or-miss show to begin with, although I haven't watched in many years so maybe now it's just miss.

Diamondring
05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Post should have said he looks like a dork but tough as nails because if a person can take a lot of hits from the 49ers known to hurt people like he did, then you gots to be tough indeed.

Morehead State
05-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Post should have said he looks like a dork but tough as nails because if a person can take a lot of hits from the 49ers known to hurt people like he did, then you gots to be tough indeed.</P>

No....Eli is a dork.........Who is tough and took a lot of hits etc.......</P>

Is it your position that a dork can't be tough? That's racist!!</P>

Meanhothead
05-07-2012, 03:27 PM
When the offers for commercials, SNL etc. dry up for Eli . . .

He won't be the same QB.

Enjoy the ride.

If you get embarrassed watching Eli perform off the field . . . it's a waste of energy.

Eli is enjoying himself. Good for him.

jomo
05-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Post should have said he looks like a dork but tough as nails because if a person can take a lot of hits from the 49ers known to hurt people like he did, then you gots to be tough indeed.</P>

Is it your position that a dork can't be tough? That's racist!!</P>

It is much worse than that. </P>

It is dorkist!!</P>

[:D]</P>

jax5338
05-07-2012, 04:02 PM
eli has always been a dork lol. that's what makes it so funny. SNL has always been a hit-and-miss show, it just stinks that they put all the good skits first this week.

gmen46
05-07-2012, 05:16 PM

Nearly all the scenes and lines involving Chevy Chase and Bill Murray in Caddyshack were improvised by themselves to a large extent. The credit for the script itself goes to Brian Doyle-Murray, who was one of the regular writers for SNL 1977-82.

Blues Brothers (the movie) was conceived, developed and cowritten by Dan Ackroyd, who along with Belushi conceived and developed the original Blues Brothers personas and musical skits in the late 70s for SNL.

They--Ackroyd, Belushi, Chase, Murray-- also contributed (as did most of the other cast members at the time) as writers for many of their skits in the 70s.

THAT's what's ironic about your selective "distinctions" between the "unfunny writing" of SNL skits from the 70s crew and the movies you so love that involve the same people.

Harooni
05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
YEAH MOORE he is dorky but i give him credit for doing it. and snl stinks thats not his fault. I thought he did well.

FBomb
05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
It's amazing that people have reacted so poorly to something that was meant to be fun. I'm sure Eli isn't embarassed at all.....and I heard his check went to charity.</P>

Some people get worked up over the silliest things.</P>

Harooni
05-07-2012, 05:39 PM
It's amazing that people have reacted so poorly to something that was meant to be fun. I'm sure Eli isn't embarassed at all.....and I heard his check went to charity.</p>

Some people get worked up over the silliest things.</p>

agreed plus seeing Eli in drag ,gives me hope that he reads his fan mail.

jhamburg
05-07-2012, 05:53 PM

Nearly all the scenes and lines involving Chevy Chase and Bill Murray in Caddyshack were improvised by themselves to a large extent. The credit for the script itself goes to Brian Doyle-Murray, who was one of the regular writers for SNL 1977-82.

Blues Brothers (the movie) was conceived, developed and cowritten by Dan Ackroyd, who along with Belushi conceived and developed the original Blues Brothers personas and musical skits in the late 70s for SNL.

They--Ackroyd, Belushi, Chase, Murray-- also contributed (as did most of the other cast members at the time) as writers for many of their skits in the 70s.

THAT's what's ironic about your selective "distinctions" between the "unfunny writing" of SNL skits from the 70s crew and the movies you so love that involve the same people.

When I think about what made movies like Caddyshack great, it was the perfect mix of subtle and non-subtle humor. But when you're writing for 5 minute skits, theres no room to set anything up, you just come up with a schtick, let it play out a few times, and then you're done. The great scenes from those movies, like the Murray/Chase exchage, for the most part never would have worked as SNL skits.

Contrast with a "classic" SNL skit like, say, Samurai Hotel...OK, he's a samurai, he talks funny, he shouts and swings a sword at inappropriate times...but what am I supposed to laugh at exactly?

RoanokeFan
05-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Post should have said he looks like a dork but tough as nails because if a person can take a lot of hits from the 49ers known to hurt people like he did, then you gots to be tough indeed.</p>

No....Eli is a dork.........Who is tough and took a lot of hits etc.......</p>

Is it your position that a dork can't be tough? That's racist!!</p>

It can't be racist when it is a equal opportunity trait [;)]

RoanokeFan
05-07-2012, 06:30 PM
It's amazing that people have reacted so poorly to something that was meant to be fun. I'm sure Eli isn't embarassed at all.....and I heard his check went to charity.</p>

Some people get worked up over the silliest things.</p>

agreed plus seeing Eli in drag ,gives me hope that he reads his fan mail.

LMAO! Metro Man

Dorothy
05-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Don't get me wrong.* I'm not complaining that he's a dork.* I like that about him.* I like that he's a poster child for every kid that got his lunch money stolen every day.</P>

who made you the authority on what we should think??? an undeniable fact????? Well, guess what, I for one do not agree with you, or am I not allowed to disagree with some one who states undeniable FACTS??????

GameTime
05-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Eli is a total Dork and has been since day one. Didn't need his stint on SNL to figure that out.</P>

His too scripted and not comfortable ad libbing in that scenario...</P>

Oh well.....</P>

Delicreep
05-07-2012, 07:27 PM

</p>

Morehead is way, way off base.

Let me try it this way: prior to being the guest host of SNL, Eli was perceived as dorky, a goober, a goof and generally as a dufus.

After hosting, Eli is perceived as...dorky, a goober, a goof and generally as a dufus who is not only completely comfortable with who he is, but completely comfortable laughing at himself.

His timing was off on the monologue (ironically, going too fast rather than taking the delay of game) but still got a few laughs,

He was funny in the "Little Brothers" bit, the Madden bit, and the court bit.

I am unsure who could have been funny in the Swedish talk show bit and I am pretty sure that there was no effort put into the Eli in a dress skit, either by the writers or actors--but Eli looked like he was enjoying himself.

Dork..fugedaboutit!

giantyankee1976
05-07-2012, 09:02 PM
I actually think that Andrew Luck might be goofier looking than both Eli and Jay Cutler combined (before Luck, I thought that Eli and Cutler were neck-and-neck for the title of goofiest looking NFL QB).</p>

I'll take my goofy-looking two-time SB champ and MVP any day though!</p>

Andrew Luck is a goofy looking dude

so's Eli. But he's our dork so there.

yoeddy
05-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Contrast with a "classic" SNL skit like, say, Samurai Hotel...OK, he's a samurai, he talks funny, he shouts and swings a sword at inappropriate times...but what am I supposed to laugh at exactly?

I agree. But on the other hand, Samurai Dry Cleaner was hilarious...!

Other classics:

Point-Counterpoint
Wild and Crazy Guys
Bass-o-matic
Chinch-o-matic
Dan Ackroyd as Julia Child
Rosanne Rosanna Danna
...and more...

bELIeve_in_Giants
05-07-2012, 09:37 PM

Other classics:

Point-Counterpoint
Wild and Crazy Guys
Bass-o-matic
Chinch-o-matic
Rosanne Rosanna Danna
...and more...

But, if you watch whole episodes of the old ones, for every 1 classic skit, there are about 3 or 4 clunkers. I actually think the year with Billy Crystal and Martin Short was the one with the fewest stinkers.

yoeddy
05-07-2012, 09:44 PM

Other classics:

Point-Counterpoint
Wild and Crazy Guys
Bass-o-matic
Chinch-o-matic
Rosanne Rosanna Danna
...and more...

But, if you watch whole episodes of the old ones, for every 1 classic skit, there are about 3 or 4 clunkers. I actually think the year with Billy Crystal and Martin Short was the one with the fewest stinkers.

Back in the 70s, the show was pretty much funny-ha-ha from the start up thru Weekend Update. Then the last 45 minutes was more experimental...

NY_Eli
05-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Eli's inherently likeable, dork or not. He doesn't have the strong ego of a guy like Brady, and I think that just makes him easier to root for. Goes against the 'nice guys finish last' motif.

giantsfan420
05-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Other classics:

Point-Counterpoint
Wild and Crazy Guys
Bass-o-matic
Chinch-o-matic
Rosanne Rosanna Danna
...and more...

anyone else find the ambiguously gay duo cartoons classic?

...besides harooni...

Bohemian
05-07-2012, 11:39 PM
I have to say that I really enjoyed watching Eli trying to act. The monologue was a blur, and the highlight for me was the text evidence skit. I thought that Eli was extremely at ease during the skit, and his timing was not bad. After all these year, we are finally seeing Eli get comfortable with the city's media spectacle, and we are seeing the city (and the football world) get comfortable with him. New York is one tough tough town, and although there are harsher fans out there, no other market is as tough due to New York's media fire power... truly incredible. I am really looking forward to seeing Eli be increasingly more involved in goofy shows, but knowing Eli (after all these years), we all know that he will just be Eli. Great show, not so say that he was as good as other athletes on SNL, but he certainly entertained.

Bohemian
05-07-2012, 11:52 PM

Other classics:

Point-Counterpoint
Wild and Crazy Guys
Bass-o-matic
Chinch-o-matic
Rosanne Rosanna Danna
...and more...

...besides harooni...

You would also have to include the hall of presidents as well. But yes, the duo is certainly an SNL classic, considering that it was way ahead of its time. Eddie Murphy's Buckwheat has to be on that list as well.

I would like to add:
The ladies' man, Leon Phelps; Father Guido; Hans and Franz; The Festrunk brothers; The Continental; Pat; Chicago Superfans; Molly Shannon; Coneheads; Gumby; Matt Foley; Blues brothers; Mr. Robinson; Spartan Cheerleaders; Church lady; and Wayne and Garth.

For fans that have never seen any of the mentioned SNL acts, please do yourself a favour, and look them up.

gmen46
05-08-2012, 01:03 AM

When I think about what made movies like Caddyshack great, it was the perfect mix of subtle and non-subtle humor. But when you're writing for 5 minute skits, theres no room to set anything up, you just come up with a schtick, let it play out a few times, and then you're done. The great scenes from those movies, like the Murray/Chase exchage, for the most part never would have worked as SNL skits.

You're comparing a movie to skits-- they're not the same. Really? No ****.

So, what's your point again?

They each (movie, sketches) have their own structural requirements, but they both can be funny or they both can miss on being funny.

My point--as if I really need to explain it--is that I find it profoundly ironic you speak so strongly about your negative opinion of SNL of the 70s (FIVE years of comedic skits, and you found NOTHING to be funny?), and in the SAME SENTENCE rave about how you LOVED movies that were acted in, and written by, the key participants of the 70s SNL crew.

And of course let us not forget that the making of a movie may "enjoy" months (certainly weeks, at least) of writing, rewriting, changing, adding, subtracting, and rewriting again before the final product is in the can, as they say.

And even then, no one involved in making the movie knows if it will be seen by audiences as actually funny until audiences begin to watch the movie.

Whereas a weekly comedic vehicle such as SNL has 5-6 DAYS, at most, to originate, rehearse, massage, rehearse, and perfect 90 minutes of pure comedy gold, before turning around and start form scratch again on Monday. The human condition dictates that not every sketch in every show is going to be comedy gems. "Hit-and-miss" comes with the territory of a show like SNL.

It's no coincidence that in the early days of SNL's success there were several attempts by the other 2 networks to copy its success--even decades later attempts were made--but none of them lasted more than a handful of seasons.

The difference of opinion on this board about the comedic effectiveness of SNL over the years, as I see it, enters where there are those of us (mostly 47 or older, because we witnessed it with fresh eyes) who believe the original cast and writers tended to hit the mark more frequently than has been the case since then, and those who believe later years had more success--although I admit there were sporadic seasons in the mid 80s, early 90s, late 90s, early 2000s, where some exceptional new talent of writers/cast members infused their unique comedy into the show, giving it repeated new leases on life.

And a huge reason why that (belief the original crew was on balance funnier) is actually true (in my opinion) is that in those early years it was a refreshing new phenomenon in broadcast TV. Up to that time, prime time or no prime time, TV never allowed comedy to be that edgy.

When SNL launched in 75, the only "after hours" comedy available was Carson, and by then he already was lame--16 years before he finally retired.

Now, we have Leno, Fallon, Letterman, Stewart, Conan(?), and several cable channels devoted to comedy and comedy stand up routines, 24/7.

Mighty, mighty difficult to be original AND funny, when such an abundance of comedy--good and awful--are continuously assaulting us.

And yet, SNL abides.

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 01:26 AM
didnt a bunch of skits from SNL in the 70's go onto be movies? i know blues bros. went onto be a movie, i thought caddyshack had characters that originated from SNL could be wrong about that...memory aint too great and not really that informed on the subject but i coulda sworn a bunch of movies by guys like akroid, chase, murray etc. originated as SNL skits...

Bohemian
05-08-2012, 01:47 AM
didnt a bunch of skits from SNL in the 70's go onto be movies? i know blues bros. went onto be a movie, i thought caddyshack had characters that originated from SNL could be wrong about that...memory aint too great and not really that informed on the subject but i coulda sworn a bunch of movies by guys like akroid, chase, murray etc. originated as SNL skits...

The old SNL crew did have a cameo in one of the Monty Python movies. The movie is the Rutles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdjZSb0S7ZU

BurnerNYG
05-08-2012, 02:57 AM

Other classics:

Point-Counterpoint
Wild and Crazy Guys
Bass-o-matic
Chinch-o-matic
Rosanne Rosanna Danna
...and more...

...besides harooni...

You would also have to include the hall of presidents as well.* But yes, the duo is certainly an SNL classic, considering that it was way ahead of its time.* Eddie Murphy's Buckwheat has to be on that list as well.

I would like to add:
The ladies' man, Leon Phelps; Father Guido; Hans and Franz; The Festrunk brothers; The Continental; Pat; Chicago Superfans; Molly Shannon; Coneheads; Gumby; Matt Foley; Blues brothers; Mr. Robinson; Spartan Cheerleaders; Church lady; and Wayne and Garth.

For fans that have never seen any of the mentioned SNL acts, please do yourself a favour, and look them up.
I went through this whole thread patiently waiting for somebody to mention the pure comic genius that's known as Eddie Murphy. I thought I was gonna have to.

ashleymarie
05-08-2012, 03:00 AM
"Buckwheat Sings" was one of the best. LOL

BurnerNYG
05-08-2012, 03:30 AM
"Buckwheat Sings" was one of the best. LOLHis Mr. Rogers hood skits were funny too. I'm a big fan of Chevy Chase, Akroyd, Steve Martin, Bill Murray etc, etc but you can't forget about ol' Axel Foley and Reggie Hammond now.

gmen46
05-08-2012, 03:35 AM

The Coneheads is the only one besides Blues Bros that I can recall.

gmen46
05-08-2012, 03:46 AM
"Buckwheat Sings" was one of the best. LOLHis Mr. Rogers hood skits were funny too. I'm a big fan of Chevy Chase, Akroyd, Steve Martin, Bill Murray etc, etc but you can't forget about ol' Axel Foley and Reggie Hammond now.

That may well have been Murray at his creative peak. And he was only 18-19 years old while on SNL. Amazing stuff.

Little Richard Simmons
The prisoner poet ("Cill my lan'lor, cill my lan'lor'. C-I-L-L MY lan'lor")
Reggae singer at the local American Legion

ashleymarie
05-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Axel Foley And Bev Hills Cop is so funny. Eddie tells these "little white lies" to his friends, strangers, his boss. So funny. When "Raw" came out it was raunchy, but I laughed and laughed. Eddie Murphy is a comedic genius.</P>

gmen46
05-08-2012, 03:54 AM

Other classics:

Point-Counterpoint
Wild and Crazy Guys
Bass-o-matic
Chinch-o-matic
Rosanne Rosanna Danna
...and more...

All those were great.

Also--
Cheeseburger cheeseburger
Gilda Radner as Patti Smith (she NAILED it)
Blue Balls--the bluecheese treat for the Holidays
Belushi as Joe ****er---BEHIND ****er as he performed (he also nailed it)
Murray as the plantation owner having his way with Garrett Morris as his Mandingo slave wench

Good stuff.

yoeddy
05-08-2012, 07:14 AM

Other classics:

Point-Counterpoint
Wild and Crazy Guys
Bass-o-matic
Chinch-o-matic
Rosanne Rosanna Danna
...and more...

...besides harooni...

You would also have to include the hall of presidents as well.* But yes, the duo is certainly an SNL classic, considering that it was way ahead of its time.* Eddie Murphy's Buckwheat has to be on that list as well.

I would like to add:

Murphy's "White like me" was awesome, too...

giantyankee1976
05-08-2012, 07:34 AM
"Buckwheat Sings" was one of the best. LOL

Whukking Puh Nub in all the wong pwaces...

it was a skit designed as a dig on "America's Sweetheart Shirley Temple."
In this case lil Buckwheat of Lil Rascals fame was grown up and it was an album collecting all of his cherished "childhood songs."

Of course it was all sung in broken english/ slave speech.

Only Eddie could have pulled it off. (I believe Dave Chapelle could have done the same as well)

PS
Joe Pescipo gets no love?

yoeddy
05-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Joe Pescipo gets no love?

Not after his "I'm from Joisey" skit...

Diamondring
05-08-2012, 01:05 PM

Is it your position that a dork can't be tough?** That's racist!!</P>The best word is ignorance. Yet I know the joke you made though.

Morehead State
05-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining that he's a dork. I like that about him. I like that he's a poster child for every kid that got his lunch money stolen every day.</P>

who made you the authority on what we should think??? an undeniable fact????? Well, guess what, I for one do not agree with you, or am I not allowed to disagree with some one who states undeniable FACTS??????</P>

Its an undeniable fact (by any reasonable person)</P>

Eli is a dork. I'm fine with it actually.</P>

Harooni
05-09-2012, 12:29 AM

The Coneheads is the only one besides Blues Bros that I can recall.
waynes world , night at the roxbury

ingoodshape
05-11-2012, 09:22 PM
you are a silly person , with a silly comment . he is the leader of the giants and he can do what he wants . maybe you should think first before you give your opinion LOL !

B-Red22
05-11-2012, 09:24 PM

*</P>

idk what your talking about, the oreo commercials rule.

Toadofsteel
05-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Eli's fraternity in college...

http://www.80stees.com/images/Halloween_Costumes/Revenge-of-the-Nerds-Tri-Lam-Cardigan-Sweater-Costumes.jpg

You know you'd want to be one too :P