PDA

View Full Version : DRAFT FALLOUT: DO THE GIANTS HAVE BEST SKILL PLAYERS IN NFL?

RoanokeFan
05-07-2012, 09:03 PM
DRAFT FALLOUT: DO THE GIANTS HAVE BEST SKILL PLAYERS IN NFL? (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828eb75c/article/draft-fallout-do-the-giants-have-best-skill-players-in-nfl)

"253 draft picks transformed the NFL in a matter of days. Around the League
will examine the aftershocks by asking one post-draft burning question for all
32 teams. The AFC is done; let's kickstart the NFC with the defending
champions.

</p>

<font size="3"><span>With David Wilson and Rueben Randle, do the
Giants have the best skill position talent in the NFL?</span></font></p>

</p><div id="yui_3_4_1_1_1336435134078_3579" class="articleText">

When the New York Giants (/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG) won their first
Super Bowl under Tom Coughlin, they were known for the offensive line and their
defensive line. The pass rush remains fearsome, but the identity of this team
has changed. Eli Manning (/players/elimanning/profile?id=MAN473170) has become one
of the best quarterbacks in football, in part because he's surrounded by
incredible skill position talent.</p>

Giants general manager Jerry Reese is known for drafting talent over need,
but he combined the two with No. 32 overall selection running back David Wilson
from Virginia Tech. Wilson should be a serious upgrade over Brandon Jacobs (/players/brandonjacobs/profile?id=JAC705688), who was
in decline and couldn't help on passing downs. Wilson is a dynamic, three-down player (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d828c9336/article/new-york-giants-jerry-reese-says-david-wilson-was-top-choice) just like Ahmad Bradshaw (/players/ahmadbradshaw/profile?id=BRA254359). His
addition will give Tom Coughlin options.</p>

LSU wideout Rueben Randle was taken late in the second round (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828b0520/article/new-york-giants-add-rueben-randle-in-nfl-draft), but we wouldn't be surprised
if he played starter snaps sooner than later. Imagine: Hakeem Nicks (/players/hakeemnicks/profile?id=NIC726593) on one side,
Randle on the other, and <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1336435134078_3841" class="player-flyout" href="/players/victorcruz/profile?id=CRU827288">Victor
Cruz</a> playing out of the slot. Randle is a deep threat who should effectively
replace Mario Manningham (/players/mariomanningham/profile?id=MAN547041). Last
year's third-round pick, <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1336435134078_3843" class="player-flyout" href="/players/jerreljernigan/profile?id=JER463741">Jerrel
Jernigan</a>, will be fighting for snaps.</p>

The Giants don't need their two rookies to be stars right away. They have
plenty. They just need Wilson and Randle to fit in as contributors to what might
be the deepest group of explosive skill position talent in football. Coughlin
and Manning have a lot of toys to play with this year, and they can all take it
the distance."</p></div>

Breezely
05-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Good article. I can't wait for the season. The Giants have great competition every where. The writer of the article speaks as if he knows that Randle is going to receive a lot of playing time.

If anything, the Giants have become a very deep team. And we all know the importance of that.

Redeyejedi
05-07-2012, 09:21 PM
The only weakness of the Giants is the Oline. It may be the worst in the NFL. Statistically it was

RoanokeFan
05-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Good article. I can't wait for the season. The Giants have great competition every where. The writer of the article speaks as if he knows that Randle is going to receive a lot of playing time.

If anything, the Giants have become a very deep team. And we all know the importance of that.

+1

RoanokeFan
05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
The only weakness of the Giants is the Oline. It may be the worst in the NFL. Statistically it was

I think we'll see an improved version this season.

Drez
05-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Imagine what last year would have looked like if they were just average?

RoanokeFan
05-07-2012, 09:35 PM

We had offensive linemen Baas, Beatty, Boothe, and Petrus who are all going to play better, theoretically, than they did last year. Snee is a dependable staple at RG and either Diehl or Brewer will see action at LT (perhaps they'll platoon if Brewer can take the snaps).

Breezely
05-07-2012, 09:37 PM

O-Line worries me also. But, I am an optimist. . . . I am encouraged because everyone is talking about the O-Line as being a weakness. I am encouraged because one year they said the secondary was weak and by seasons' end it was one of the strongest. They said we did not have receivers. . . . by end of the season, it was one of the best. They said our linebackers were weak. . . .by seasons end it was a strength. Now they talk about our O-Line. Follow me!!!!!

JJC7301
05-08-2012, 01:23 AM

+1.

B&RWarrior
05-08-2012, 07:48 AM
BJ was actually a decent receiver out of the backfield last year. I didn't see an abnormal amount of drops. He won't be running any WR routes anytime soon but he was great for slipping out of the backfield and getting open.

Best skill players in the NFL award goes to...

N.O. Saints- Darren Sproles, Jimmy Graham, M. Colston, Drew Brees, Moore, Meachem

I'd say we're #2.
Philly is #3

XxBigWhitxX
05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
BJ was actually a decent receiver out of the backfield last year. I didn't see an abnormal amount of drops. He won't be running any WR routes anytime soon but he was great for slipping out of the backfield and getting open.

N.O. Saints- Darren Sproles, Jimmy Graham, M. Colston, Drew Brees, Moore, Meachem

I'd say we're #2.
Philly is #3Meachem is gone so now we move to number 1! and I'd put Green Bay at 2 before I put philly, Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Finley, and Rodgers. not to mention Randall Cobb wasn't bad as a rookie either.

hungrrrry
05-08-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm not worried about the Oline...the lockout crushed our needed pratice time for these guys in addition to the changes made: new center plus the shuffling we saw in the Oline and McKensie was not capable. We should see a nice upgrade with a full off-season, a new RT and sound depth.

nygsb42champs
05-08-2012, 09:04 AM
I know that they have the best skill players that the Giants have ever had as a group.

JimC
05-08-2012, 09:06 AM

Amen! The Oline needs to step up. Eli got hit WAY too much last season.

buddy33
05-08-2012, 09:31 AM
I agree about the OL, but they may not be as bad if they could stay healthy.

What if Beatty can stay healthy?

It was the 1st year on the team for Baas and he was hurting.

I think Boothe played well enough to be considered as their starting LG.

RT is a big concern. Who will play there?

If the RT play improves, and Baas can stay healthy, maybe Snee will have a better year as well. Not that he was bad, but he was stuck between 2 guys playing poorly.

We haven't seen anything from him yet, but isn't the team impressed by what they saw from Brewster?

Redeyejedi
05-08-2012, 09:36 AM

I hope so it couldnt get much worse the leading the NFL in QB pressures and the worst Running game in the NFL. When U look at those numbers it makes Eli's season even more amazing. if u factor in the playoffs he should of won MVP

NY_Eli
05-08-2012, 09:41 AM

I hope so it couldnt get much worse the leading the NFL in QB pressures and the worst Running game in the NFL. When U look at those numbers it makes Eli's season even more amazing. if u factor in the playoffs he should of won MVP

He was our mvp!

[:D]

B&RWarrior
05-08-2012, 10:43 AM

I'd say we're #2.
Philly is #3Meachem is gone so now we move to number 1! and I'd put Green Bay at 2 before I put philly, Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Finley, and Rodgers. not to mention Randall Cobb wasn't bad as a rookie either.

Even without Meachem I think they are number one. I like Nicks and Cruz better than Colston and Moore. But Sproles gives you more than Bradshaw and he stays healthy. Jimmy Graham pushes them to No. 1. Brees and Eli are a push.

I like Philly better than GB Vick, Jackson, Maclin, Avant, Celek, MCCOY > Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Finley, Rodgers, Starks

AR blows away VIck but Vick is still top 10 in the league. Philly wins the battle at RB McCoy is miles away from Starks or whoever they have back there.

XxBigWhitxX
05-08-2012, 10:59 AM

I'd say we're #2.

Even without Meachem I think they are number one. I like Nicks and Cruz better than Colston and Moore. But Sproles gives you more than Bradshaw and he stays healthy. Jimmy Graham pushes them to No. 1. Brees and Eli are a push.

I like Philly better than GB Vick, Jackson, Maclin, Avant, Celek, MCCOY > Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Finley, Rodgers, Starks

AR blows away VIck but Vick is still top 10 in the league. Philly wins the battle at RB McCoy is miles away from Starks or whoever they have back there.I'd still take GB over Philly. You can argue that Jennings is as good as or better than Jackson, Nelson is better than Maclin, Finley is better than Celek, Rodgers better than Vick, and Driver is better than Avant. The only matchup Philly wins is) with McCoy.

gumby742
05-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Philly and Green Bay are better imo. I don't think the Saints are even all that great at the skill positions. Put any of those WR on another team, and they are nothing special.

B&RWarrior
05-09-2012, 05:32 PM

I'd say we're #2.

AR blows away VIck but Vick is still top 10 in the league. Philly wins the battle at RB McCoy is miles away from Starks or whoever they have back there.I'd still take GB over Philly. You can argue that Jennings is as good as or better than Jackson, Nelson is better than Maclin, Finley is better than Celek, Rodgers better than Vick, and Driver is better than Avant. The only matchup Philly wins is) with McCoy.

I take Avant over a 40 year old Driver all day. The rest I agree with except I put a premium on the RB position because they catch and run. The difference between McCoy and GB starting RB is greater than the combined difference between the WRs and the QBs.

I'm a bigger believer in that offense than I am of most of those players. Not saying they're bad I'm saying that offense can make an average guy look good at WR especially with AR throwing it to them.

Neverend
05-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Hopefully Beatty can take the next step in regards to his technique. Baas, can he stay healthy? Boothe is solid. The injuries have been piling up on Diehl these last two years, and Snee as well

The o-line is absolutely a concern. Hopefully they stay healthy