PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com article-Giants one of four teams to "Ace" draft

giantsfan420
05-07-2012, 10:18 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ed138/article/bengals-patriots-giants-chiefs-ace-2012-nfl-draft?module=HP11_cp

I am stoked about this draft. I know a poster or two mocked me for saying this draft was genius by JR and just another in the list of his excellent moves as GM, but I do believe that these players, at least the top 4 picks, will all be solid contributors to the team, and one or two of them could be the real deal at their position league-wide...

btw, quick question, is the above assessment that absurd to the point somebody made fun of it?

B&RWarrior
05-07-2012, 11:46 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ed138/article/bengals-patriots-giants-chiefs-ace-2012-nfl-draft?module=HP11_cp

I am stoked about this draft. I know a poster or two mocked me for saying this draft was genius by JR and just another in the list of his excellent moves as GM, but I do believe that these players, at least the top 4 picks, will all be solid contributors to the team, and one or two of them could be the real deal at their position league-wide...

btw, quick question, is the above assessment that absurd to the point somebody made fun of it?

People on this board are still pissin' and moanin' that we didn't get Martin. Wilson has star potential.

MOst drafts don't result in solid contributions from the top 4, so maybe this is what they scoffed at.

B&RWarrior
05-07-2012, 11:46 PM

People on this board are still pissin' and moanin' that we didn't get Martin. Wilson has star potential.

MOst drafts don't result in solid contributions from the top 4, so maybe this is what they scoffed at.

JJC7301
05-07-2012, 11:48 PM
I agree with you. We got a very highly rated RB (which we needed), a "pro-ready" WR (which we needed), CB depth with a guy in the 3rd round who was rated high enough to go in the 2nd round (and we could always use depth in the secondary) and we got a G/T (we needed help at o-line) who I've been reading lots of good things about.

I can understand the case for Fleener, but we needed more talent at RB even more than TE.
We'll never know if ANY player will actually succeed in the NFL until they actually get on the field, but NONE of those 4 that we draft were a reach.

What's NOT to like about this draft?

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 12:07 AM
I agree with you. We got a very highly rated RB (which we needed), a "pro-ready" WR (which we needed), CB depth with a guy in the 3rd round who was rated high enough to go in the 2nd round (and we could always use depth in the secondary) and we got a G/T (we needed help at o-line) who I've been reading lots of good things about.

I can understand the case for Fleener, but we needed more talent at RB even more than TE.
We'll never know if ANY player will actually succeed in the NFL until they actually get on the field, but NONE of those 4 that we draft were a reach.

yeah good post.

and i dont know, I loved this draft and see a ton of potential from pick 1-7...dont want to get into negativity but the term "fanboy" was thrown around bc of the opinions that we have the most talent on our offense which nfl.com wrote an article about, that JR is the best GM, how we could be unstoppable if the offense and defense play to their potential and how this draft was genius...enough of that it was lame for me to even bring up...

back to the draft, I agree with the poster who said some might be pissed we didnt get Martin, but imo, Wilson possesses elite skillsets although he isnt as ready as Martin.

I also totally agree with Ross, Reese, and Cosell on how Randle is similar to Nicks, if he can give us half of what Nicks does, my goodness. I think Randle could be effective on the perimeter or the slot. I also believe JJ will be a huge surprise to the league and could actually be a D.Jackson type player for us...except JJ will go across the middle...

Hosley has an arm span like JPP, and if he puts on 10-20 pounds, he could be a complete shut down corner with his man to man skills and ball hawking ability. You combine that with Prince, and already established Webster and the back end is top notch especially when u factor in the pass rush we should have...

I am very very excited about next season and despite Philly and Dallas improving, don't see it being enough if the rookies and 2nd yr guys come in at a somewhat high level to the team we had the final 6 games of last year...

golden era of the giants could well be shaping up...i think the dynasty word is a lil premature, but i think the whole Plax thing set us back, but it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise...

AGiantDynasty
05-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Apparently you had missed the point. Nobody was mocking the idea of a good draft. It was the absolute certainty that was being mocked. The fact is, whether you want to accept it or not, is that no draft can be evaluated for what it is until years later.

To call any draft genius before players even make it out of training camp is ridiculous at best.

Chad Jones, Phillip Dillard, Clint Sintim, Ramses Barden, Travis Beckum, Andre Brown, Bryan Kehl, Jay Alford, and Zak Deossie are ALL guys we have drafted in the first 4 rounds since 2007 that havent been worth the draft picks. Some of them never even seeing the field..

Be excited about the possibilities of our prospects. But saying they are genius moves when none of them have proved a thing is getting old. Its called having perspective.

And really, bringing up a forum argument that happened 2 weeks ago? Sounds a bit like troll-baiting to me...

JJC7301
05-08-2012, 12:13 AM

yeah good post.

and i dont know, I loved this draft and see a ton of potential from pick 1-7...dont want to get into negativity but the term "fanboy" was thrown around bc of the opinions that we have the most talent on our offense which nfl.com wrote an article about, that JR is the best GM, how we could be unstoppable if the offense and defense play to their potential and how this draft was genius...enough of that it was lame for me to even bring up...

back to the draft, I agree with the poster who said some might be pissed we didnt get Martin, but imo, Wilson possesses elite skillsets although he isnt as ready as Martin.

I also totally agree with Ross, Reese, and Cosell on how Randle is similar to Nicks, if he can give us half of what Nicks does, my goodness. I think Randle could be effective on the perimeter or the slot. I also believe JJ will be a huge surprise to the league and could actually be a D.Jackson type player for us...except JJ will go across the middle...

Hosley has an arm span like JPP, and if he puts on 10-20 pounds, he could be a complete shut down corner with his man to man skills and ball hawking ability. You combine that with Prince, and already established Webster and the back end is top notch especially when u factor in the pass rush we should have...

I am very very excited about next season and despite Philly and Dallas improving, don't see it being enough if the rookies and 2nd yr guys come in at a somewhat high level to the team we had the final 6 games of last year...

golden era of the giants could well be shaping up...i think the dynasty word is a lil premature, but i think the whole Plax thing set us back, but it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise...
Yeah, I'm excited to see what our 1st 3 picks from last year can bring to the table as well -- Prince, Austin, and JJ. There's a lot of young talent coming aboard this year competing for spots -- and this is just 1 season after winning the SB.

We've got Eli, receivers, a great d-line, improving secondary, great coaches and FO -- thinking about a dynasty is not insane.

Drez
05-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Apparently you had missed the point. Nobody was mocking the idea of a good draft. It was the absolute certainty that was being mocked. The fact is, whether you want to accept it or not, is that no draft can be evaluated for what it is until years later.

To call any draft genius before players even make it out of training camp is ridiculous at best.

Chad Jones, Phillip Dillard, Clint Sintim, Ramses Barden, Travis Beckum, Andre Brown, Bryan Kehl, Jay Alford, and Zak Deossie are ALL guys we have drafted in the first 4 rounds since 2007 that havent been worth the draft picks. Some of them never even seeing the field..

Be excited about the possibilities of our prospects. But saying they are genius moves when none of them have proved a thing is getting old. Its called having perspective.

And really, bringing up a forum argument that happened 2 weeks ago? Sounds a bit like troll-baiting to me...

Zak DeOssie has most certainly been worth the pick.

I don't think it's fair to throw Jones in the mix as he was injured in an accident before he could even prove what he could do.

So, I assume you don't express pleasure or displeasure at a draft until 3-5 years afterwords?

giantsfan420
Apparently you had missed the point.* Nobody was mocking the idea of a good draft.* It was the absolute certainty that was being mocked.* The fact is, whether you want to accept it or not, is that no draft can be evaluated for what it is until years later.

To call any draft genius before players even make it out of training camp is ridiculous at best.*

Chad Jones, Phillip Dillard, Clint Sintim, Ramses Barden, Travis Beckum, Andre Brown, Bryan Kehl,* Jay Alford, and Zak Deossie* are ALL guys we have drafted in the first 4 rounds since 2007 that havent been worth the draft picks.* Some of them never even seeing the field..

Be excited about the possibilities of our prospects. But saying they are genius moves when none of them have proved a thing is getting old.* Its called having perspective.*

And really, bringing up a forum argument that happened 2 weeks ago?* Sounds a bit like troll-baiting to me...

i guess thats fair, try not to sound so condescending and pretentious tho, it'd be easy to take your last post the wrong way. but isn't it already accepted that the picks could miss out. i dont think anyone, at least not me, thinks that "its 100% guaranteed" they work out...

that said, don't know how to word my excitement about the possibilities of the players in a way that comes off that I'm not certain...what should I do, preface that I'm stoked with the draft and the players we got, but that they could suck??? i mean is it too early to proclaim JPP a hit? was it too early to proclaim Nicks a hit last season? I don't get it, I think that it really is more of "you" have a difference in opinion than "me" (not literally you and me) and that some feel that we have to put into writing that the picks could very well bust, when others feel that if they bust theres more than enough time and space to comment on that...i don't think its a crime to be stoked on players...especially whenn the front office displays a certainty about the picks themselves, and i think that things get testy around here when one starts thinking their "perspective" is the only one thats valid...jmho

eh...whatever. and no, not a troll attempt at all...honestly wondered how some get angry at some for their opinions and excitement. not about a "me vs you" or anything like that, theres more than enough people who get called our and mocked one way or the other. it was an honest question...

edit- and I dont know the difference when guys like Mayock and other analysts call drafts genius and when fans do it. the draft and prospects are widely studied for a long time leading up to the draft, if you can get certain value at certain picks, why is it unfair to call a draft genius?
was JR picking Prince not a genius move? was it not exceptionally extreme value?does it work on the flip side, is it wrong to say taking a 7th round or undrafted fre agent prospect in the 1rst is moronic bc "we dont know how it'll work out..."eh like i said, honest question I see ur point

giantsfan420

yeah good post.

Yeah, I'm excited to see what our 1st 3 picks from last year can bring to the table as well -- Prince, Austin, and JJ. There's a lot of young talent coming aboard this year competing for spots -- and this is just 1 season after winning the SB.

We've got Eli, receivers, a great d-line, improving secondary, great coaches and FO -- thinking about a dynasty is not insane.

the future is bright thats for damn sure

AGiantDynasty
05-08-2012, 01:55 AM
Me babbling..

I don't think it's fair to throw Jones in the mix as he was injured in an accident before he could even prove what he could do.

So, I assume you don't express pleasure or displeasure at a draft until 3-5 years afterwords?

Ok, take Zak out. He was on the fence to me but I through him in there anyway. I have always valued his long snapping and depth he has added to the team.

And I hate to say it, and was a HUGE fan of Jones in college, but if you look at things in strict terms of did it work out or not, you would have to say no. Again, I was a huge fan of his and thought he was going to compete for a start within a season. Wish him the best in his recovery for sure.

I would say it depends per player on how I evaluate a draft. After the first season of decent playing time you can tell the players that have a chance (flashes of brilliance ala Eli and JPP) to the ones that dont. For positions like CB, S, WR I give slightly longer time because the transition to the NFL is so much tougher then positions like RB.

Its not that I dont love the prospects we got by the way. I especially like the 2nd and 3rd round picks of ours.

Me babbling..

i
guess thats fair (even though you come off as extremely pretentious).
but isn't it already accepted that the picks could miss out. i dont
think anyone, at least not me, thinks that "its 100% guaranteed" they
work out...

Lots of other stuff...

I guess that was simply my point. You weren't coming off like it is already accepted the picks could miss. More like they were no-miss. And lets not take the front office opinion either. Its like expecting a player to come out and say they have no chance to win before a game. Its JR's job to talk up the drafted players.

For the record, I really like our draft picks. My biggest problem would be I dont feel we addressed our OL as we should have. We are getting much older and really need those younger projects to start producing. Patch work Olines scare me.

Wilson is also a toss up. I LOVE his positive attributes like his balance and explosiveness, I just still have questions about his running between the tackles and his ability to pick up blitzers in pass protection. He will need to do both and well if he will succeed in the NFL especially in our offense.

I also absolutely hate the idea of taking a HB in the 1st round or so in todays NFL. Nothing to do with any player personally, I just feel with the short shelf life of most RB's (3-5) and the fact that drafts are always flooded with quality late round RB's.

And sorry, I have never been 100% sold on Prince. I do have faith and hope for him but imo the jury is still out whether I feel that was a genius move. The value in the pick was there to be sure. But its all about NFL production.

Instead of coming back at the slight jabs of my <font color="#FF0000">pretentious and superior perspective</font> [:)], I think we should both drop this silly argument. Agree to disagree and move on. No more slight jabs or provoking comments, etc..

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 02:41 AM
Me babbling..

Ok, take Zak out.* He was on the fence to me but I through him in there anyway.* I have always valued his long snapping and depth he has added to the team.*

And I hate to say it, and was a HUGE fan of Jones in college, but if you look at things in strict terms of did it work out or not, you would have to say no.* Again, I was a huge fan of his and thought he was going to compete for a start within a season.* Wish him the best in his recovery for sure.*

I would say it depends per player on how I evaluate a draft.* After the first season of decent playing time you can tell the players that have a chance (flashes of brilliance ala Eli and JPP) to the ones that dont.* For positions like CB, S, WR I give slightly longer time because the transition to the NFL is so much tougher then positions like RB.

Its not that I dont love the prospects we got by the way.* I especially like the 2nd and 3rd round picks of ours.

Me babbling..

i
guess thats fair (even though you come off as extremely pretentious).
but isn't it already accepted that the picks could miss out. i dont
think anyone, at least not me, thinks that "its 100% guaranteed" they
work out...

Lots of other stuff...

I guess that was simply my point.* You weren't coming off like it is already accepted the picks could miss.* More like they were no-miss.* And lets not take the front office opinion either.* Its like expecting a player to come out and say they have no chance to win before a game.* Its JR's job to talk up the drafted players.*

For the record, I really like our draft picks.* My biggest problem would be I dont feel we addressed our OL as we should have.* We are getting much older and really need those younger projects to start producing.* Patch work Olines scare me.

Wilson is also a toss up.* I LOVE his positive attributes like his balance and explosiveness, I just still have questions about his running between the tackles and his ability to pick up blitzers in pass protection.* He will need to do both and well if he will succeed in the NFL especially in our offense.*

I also absolutely hate the idea of taking a HB in the 1st round or so in todays NFL.* Nothing to do with any player personally, I just feel with the short shelf life of most RB's (3-5) and the fact that drafts are always flooded with quality late round RB's.

And sorry, I have never been 100% sold on Prince.* I do have faith and hope for him but imo the jury is still out whether I feel that was a genius move.* The value in the pick was there to be sure.* But its all about NFL production.*

Instead of coming back at the slight jabs of my <font color="#FF0000">pretentious and superior perspective</font> [:)], I think we should both drop this silly argument.* Agree to disagree and move on.* No more slight jabs or provoking comments, etc..**

yeah i saw that was **** so I edited the post dunno if you reread it.

i agree with pretty much all of that, except for Prince.

Agree that improving the OL woulda been a good move, but the same argument about how we got Bradshaw in the 7th so why take a rb early applies to the OL. Besides Beatty, I believe our OL are all latter round picks...I think we could get some much needed improvement from our OL this season as is though.

And with Wilson, I agree, blitz recognition will be huge. I think he'll be fine running between the tackles, my understanding is VT is more of a get on the perimeter run team...most collegiate teams are. Wilson, in addition to your characterization, has exceptional leg push, so while he doesn't show it in abundance, he does have the ability to run tough and get hard earned yards. He's more similar to Bradshaw in that regard than people notice.

Yeah didn't mean to provoke or jab at ya, I agree with your position. I don't think any draft pick is 100% guaranteed...well except eli back then...but with that said, I still maintain the draft was EXCELLENT, great value and talent at every pick, we got 1rst round talent the first 3 picks, and 1rst round athleticism and potential the rest of the draft...

its also not that I even ever disagreed with your original post, I get what your saying. But a poster had called me pathetic and a fanboy bc I said we had the most dangerous wr corp., JR has been a GM genius, for making a post during our SB run that we were unstoppable, and that this roster may have more talent on it than any other team. Note that NFL.com has posted articles stating the same thought about our wr corp, and our roster being the most talented.
JR being a genius is fair assessment imho, and we were unstoppable, we went onto win the SB...just took offense to that and wondered if those opinions, and in particular the draft opinion, warranted those statements made about me...

thanks for the post it was a good one.

RichGiants81
05-08-2012, 03:57 AM

I am stoked about this draft. I know a poster or two mocked me for saying this draft was genius by JR and just another in the list of his excellent moves as GM, but I do believe that these players, at least the top 4 picks, will all be solid contributors to the team, and one or two of them could be the real deal at their position
league-wide...

I agree but I think mario is gonna be sorely missed. Worse than we think

BurnerNYG
05-08-2012, 04:03 AM

yeah good post.

golden era of the giants could well be shaping up...i think the dynasty word is a lil premature, but i think the whole Plax thing set us back, but it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise...I agree 100%. Thanks for writing what I was thinking. ;-)

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 05:44 AM
no prob bob...but, now I am a little bit worried, if your thinking what I'm thinking, I now have to entertain the notion i've gone bat **** crazy...lol just playing around u know that buddy...

ps wtf is going on with the bulls, down 3-1 to the 76ers???? still think the bulls will pull it out, but this can take a ton of needed energy outta the team...

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 05:48 AM

I am stoked about this draft. I know a poster or two mocked me for saying this draft was genius by JR and just another in the list of his excellent moves as GM, but I do believe that these players, at least the top 4 picks, will all be solid contributors to the team, and one or two of them could be the real deal at their position
league-wide...

I agree but I think mario is gonna be sorely missed. Worse than we think

i agree MM will be missed...despite a few posters trying to downplay what he did for us with comical player evaluations, MM was almost perfect for that 3rd WR role, if he had consistency, and ability to break down defenses the way nicks cruz and eli could, he would be perfect for that role...

i hold faith that R2 or J2 will exceed the output M2 gave us...lol liking the initial2 label

GMENAGAIN
05-08-2012, 06:16 AM

<FONT size=4>Chad Jones</FONT>, Phillip Dillard, Clint Sintim, Ramses Barden, Travis Beckum, Andre Brown, Bryan Kehl, Jay Alford, and Zak Deossie are ALL guys we have drafted in the first 4 rounds since 2007 that havent been worth the draft picks. Some of them never even seeing the field..

</P>

Including Chad Jones on that list is ridiculous</P>

nygsb42champs
05-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Lets hope they are correct.

BurnerNYG
05-08-2012, 10:47 AM
no prob bob...but, now I am a little bit worried, if your thinking what I'm thinking, I now have to entertain the notion i've gone bat **** crazy...lol just playing around u know that buddy...

ps wtf is going on with the bulls, down 3-1 to the 76ers???? still think the bulls will pull it out, but this can take a ton of needed energy outta the team...Can't win in the playoffs without your #1 go to guy in Rose and your hype man in Noah. I'm disappointed to the maximum.

BeatYale
05-08-2012, 11:22 AM

Probably because Martin is more of a power runner than Wilson and those people on this board are probably the ones who thought of Jacobs as a power back.

Pakman
05-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I haven't been on the boards much since the draft, but are people really pissed off that we didn't draft fleener??

Loll we have Bennett for one year, which will prob end up being a multi year deal if he's any good. We don't need a TE badly, I'm glad we got Wilson.

BeatYale
05-08-2012, 11:38 AM
I haven't been on the boards much since the draft, but are people really pissed off that we didn't draft fleener??

Loll we have Bennett for one year, which will prob end up being a multi year deal if he's any good. We don't need a TE badly, I'm glad we got Wilson.

I don't think so. There were some who made a big deal out of the Bucs trading up to get Martin right before our pick of Wilson.

I think Wilson has more value and one thing our offense has been lacking since Tiki (as much as I hate the dude) is a good pass catcher out of the backfield. A lot of the rated QB's in the league, like Drew Brees, will dink and dunk a lot - throwing those safe gimmick passes and screen passes out of the back field.

G-Men Surg.
05-08-2012, 11:54 AM
I agree in that grade as a first impression, time will tell if this draft pans out. Success is very subjective evaluating draft results down the road. Reese has mention before that you don't want to miss with your 1st round pick because that could put you behind in a lot of ways specially when you pick in the top bracket but this year is different at least financially the damage isn't that great because of the " rookie cap "
The Giants drafted gifted talented players all over the rounds and where I think they got an " Ace " was picking talent and filling needs. An even keel draft and of course this draft has Jerry Reese's seal all over .

TuckYou
05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I haven't been on the boards much since the draft, but are people really pissed off that we didn't draft fleener?? Loll we have Bennett for one year, which will prob end up being a multi year deal if he's any good. We don't need a TE badly, I'm glad we got Wilson.</P>

I am def OK with Wilson over Fleener, but Wilson over Upshaw really bothered me. I see Upshaw being a monster in Baltimore. Can't believe his talents dropped that far down in the draft.</P>

gumby742
05-08-2012, 01:47 PM

Actually from what I remember, the people who didn't want Wilson didn't want Martin either. They wanted to an olineman.

I was one of them/

BlueSanta
05-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Zak Deossie

<font color="#FF0000">Ya, that guys sucks. He barely every plays. Only like 5-10 snaps a game, what a waste. </font>