PDA

View Full Version : Is Cruz better in the slot or on the outside?

FloydEddings2
05-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I was just reading Gilbride's assessment on how he feels Cruz was better in the slot and I can't disagree more. His two TD's against Philly were from the outside. Jets TD he was lined up wide. Seahawks wide. I realize it's a Cadillac problem having a WR who can do both but I think he should line up on the outside at least 60% of the time.

Flip Empty
05-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Cruz gained ~1300 of his 1536 yards from the slot. I think Gilbride knows what he's talking about.

Also, Cruz lined up outside around 55% of the time last season so I don't see what your issue is.

NYFan221
05-08-2012, 12:32 PM
I was just reading Gilbride's assessment on how he feels Cruz was better in the slot and I can't disagree more. His two TD's against Philly were from the outside. Jets TD he was lined up wide. Seahawks wide. I realize it's a Cadillac problem having a WR who can do both but I think he should line up on the outside at least 60% of the time.

I think he has more big plays on the outside because of his speed along with there being less traffic on the outside. But because hes so quick and shifty and a good route runner, he is more valuable on the inside. He has more of a chance to be explosive on the outside, but a better chance of being successful on the inside.

NYFan221
05-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Cruz gained ~1300 of his 1536 yards from the slot. I think Gilbride knows what he's talking about.

Also, Cruz lined up outside around 55% of the time last season so I don't see what your issue is.

yeah no matter what happens, all of our wr's will shift around, besides nicks.

BlueSanta
05-08-2012, 12:37 PM
See <u>this article</u> (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203718504577183410799864068.html) for proof that he is way better in the slot than outside.

I said it months ago when people seemed to think we will put Cruz outside and JJ inside, we are going to keep Cruz in the slot when it is 3 wr sets. We would be crazy not to.

JJ may end up being a fine player, but unless there is an injury he is likely going to see limmited action because he is behind a guy who is the very best in the league at his position. Some posters here suggested we move Voctor outside and let JJ play inside, a point I argued strongly against. You don't take a guy who is the best in the league at 1 spot and move him to another. The Giants selected Rueben Randle in the 2nd round, a clear cut outside WR. This pretty much confirms exactly what I said.

gmen0820
05-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I think he translates very well on the outside, I've posted plenty about it, but you can't deny his production in the slot.

My reasoning is, is that a WR who can win on the outside (which Cruz has the physical skills to do), is a lot more valuable to us than a slot WR who can be kept in check with less complex bracket schemes.

Can Cruz be doubled outside? Yes, of course, but with Nicks outside as well, having to double the X, and the Z I find to be much more difficult a task than doubling an X, and bracketing a Y with a linebacker. I also find slot receivers to be much more easily replaced than a WR who can win on the outside, but that's just my (possibly flawed) perception. This is why I lobbied for a guy like Marvin Jones before the draft, I think he can do it all.

But I've, despite 20+ posts of lobbying for Cruz as an outside guy have given up since the drafting of Randle. Now I think of the potency of a proven terror in the slot, an X receiver in Nicks who can win outside (even when doubled sometimes), and a potential all star in Randle. That gets me going.

gmen0820
05-08-2012, 12:47 PM
See <u>this article</u> (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203718504577183410799864068.html) for proof that he is way better in the slot than outside.

I wouldn't call that proof, as much as I would call it convincing.

I can't, and no one can, deny that Cruz had excellent production (probably better production than any WR in the league, regardless of formation), and most came from the slot. He is, like the article says, perhaps the BEST slot receiver in the NFL.

Make no mistake though, Cruz's ball skills, hands, route running, and speed translate very very well on the outside, in particular for what you look for in a Z receiver, in a dominant Z receiver. I have likened this kid to Marvin Harrison before, I really like his potential. Now, isn't it safe to say that a dominant outside receiver, is more valuable than a dominant slot receiver? They both have their benefits, but I thnk the assumption is safe to make.

Now I do agree that moves the Giants have made this offseason support your theory, not mine, but is any of what I've said flawed in logic?

FloydEddings2
05-08-2012, 12:48 PM

I haven't charted the games but those stats seem off. 85% of his yards came from the slot? Well if that's true then yeah, he's doing ok.

Kruunch
05-08-2012, 12:59 PM

That stat is not correct.

Kruunch
05-08-2012, 01:00 PM

I think Cruz is more natural on the outside but he's our best slot receiver so in that sense, he's best in the slot.

Cruz made some really great strides learning the slot position last season.

BlueSanta
05-08-2012, 01:36 PM

I can't, and no one can, deny that Cruz had excellent production (probably better production than any WR in the league, regardless of formation), and most came from the slot. He is, like the article says, perhaps the BEST slot receiver in the NFL.

Make no mistake though, Cruz's ball skills, hands, route running, and speed translate very very well on the outside, in particular for what you look for in a Z receiver, in a dominant Z receiver. I have likened this kid to Marvin Harrison before, I really like his potential. Now, isn't it safe to say that a dominant outside receiver, is more valuable than a dominant slot receiver? They both have their benefits, but I thnk the assumption is safe to make.

Now I do agree that moves the Giants have made this offseason support your theory, not mine, but is any of what I've said flawed in logic?

My point isnt that Cruz isnt capable of playing outside. He is, just not as well as he plays the slot, as that article does how quite clearly. LT prolly could have played ILB too if we needed. I am glad he stayed at the position he played the best.

As far as the value of a slot compared to an outside guy I completely do not agree. I think that is how teams used to think prior to the rule changes. Right now, the slot position is just as dangerous and valuable a position as an outside guy. Look at the jump in production in the league over the last few season out of slot recievers and TEs. Furthermore, look at how insanely comfortable Eli has been with slot recievers throughout his career.

Just a few years ago, a WR or TE crossing he field 5- 10 yards deep would get molested by a LB. Now you cant touch him after 5. This is why TE production has skyrocketed in recent years.

Lastly, if there is 1 thing Cruz does that isnt very good, it is blocking. He is only "ok" at downfield blocking. I see a lot of people neglect that aspect of a WRs job. In 2007, nobody could argue that we had the best downfield blocking WRs in the league. Maybe, 1 of the best blocking wr groups ever. Toomer and Plax were incredible. Nicks is good but MM and Cruz were very mediocre in this regard last year. You want your outside guys to be good sustaining run blockers. I think the Giants liked randle, in small part, because he comes from an offense that asked him to block guys a lot and he showed very capable skills.

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 01:37 PM
well we'll certainly find out next season. cruz will be out wide in 2 wr set formations, and in the slot on 3 wr formations.

I'm excited to see that, but also to see how guys like JJ, Randle, and Barden compete for the 3rd spot on the depth chart, and how KG will use them

RoanokeFan
05-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Cruz gained ~1300 of his 1536 yards from the slot. <font color="#0000FF" size="4">I think Gilbride knows what he's talking about.</font>

I am pretty sure this is the first time those words have been "uttered" here. CONGRATULATIONS!

RoanokeFan
05-08-2012, 01:50 PM

That Cruz can play equally well at both is a huge plus for the team.

Drez
05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Cruz' first TD against the Eagles he was lined up in the slot with Nicks wide on his side. They ran a switch or cross or whatever the technical term is and Cruz wound up running an outside route. But, he was still the slot receiver on that play. On the second one, it appears that he lined up wide and then motioned into the slot before the snap. Granted he was the "outside" receiver on the play, but he was still lined up in the slot. He was also lined up in the slot on the 99yd TD. I think Barden was on the outside. Likewise, Cruz was lined up in the slot again for the Seahawks TD.

Every single one of those TDs you mentioned, Cruz was lined up in the slot for at the snap, not on the outside.

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Cruz' first TD against the Eagles he was lined up in the slot with Nicks wide on his side. They ran a switch or cross or whatever the technical term is and Cruz wound up running an outside route. But, he was still the slot receiver on that play. On the second one, it appears that he lined up wide and then motioned into the slot before the snap. Granted he was the "outside" receiver on the play, but he was still lined up in the slot. He was also lined up in the slot on the 99yd TD. I think Barden was on the outside. Likewise, Cruz was lined up in the slot again for the Seahawks TD.

Every single one of those TDs you mentioned, Cruz was lined up in the slot for at the snap, not on the outside.

the 2nd td vs philly he was lined up out wide, he motioned but he was still the only wr on that side on the outside, the TE Ballard ran a route to confuse the philly db's, namdi did signal to switch off but the routes ended up being run where cruz was still on the perimeter but i get ur point overall and agree with what ur saying or implying

Drez
05-08-2012, 02:10 PM

the 2nd td vs philly he was lined up out wide, he motioned but he was still the only wr on that side on the outside, the TE Ballard ran a route to confuse the philly db's, namdi did signal to switch off but the routes ended up being run where cruz was still on the perimeter but i get ur point overall and agree with what ur saying or implying

I'm no NFL wide receiver, but are your reads different if you're lined up in the slot even if you are the sole WR on that side?

So, let's say that he was outside on that play, all the other examples the OP gave Cruz was the slot guy, lol.

BeatYale
05-08-2012, 02:15 PM

In week 3 against the Eagles, he lined up in the slot on the same side as Nicks, on the first TD - which was the catch and run. On the second TD, he motioned to the slot before the snap.

In week 5 against the Seahawks his big circus catch TD was similar to the first TD against the Eagles. He lined up in the slot with Nicks next to him on the outside.

Wrong again. In week 16 against the Jets. Cruz was lined up in the slot when he scored that 99 yard TD.

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 02:16 PM

I'm no NFL wide receiver, but are your reads different if you're lined up in the slot even if you are the sole WR on that side?

So, let's say that he was outside on that play, all the other examples the OP gave Cruz was the slot guy, lol.

i'd assume that it depends on different offenses. but in our offense, i'd assume slot or outside, the reactions to the defenses would be similar if not the same. the goal being to get to open space...so not sure exactly thats a good question u ask, maybe some of our resident football minds knows and can explain it clearly

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 02:18 PM

In week 3 against the Eagles, he lined up in the slot on the same side as Nicks, on the first TD - which was the catch and run. On the second TD, he motioned to the slot before the snap.

In week 5 against the Seahawks his big circus catch TD was similar to the first TD against the Eagles. He lined up in the slot with Nicks next to him on the outside.

Wrong again. In week 16 against the Jets. Cruz was lined up in the slot when he scored that 99 yard TD.

on cruz's 2nd td vs philly, he motioned, but i still believe he was the outside wr and i dont even remember another wr being on his side of the field. cruz ran a backwards C route, started inside, ran vertical, than broke outside...Ballard ran a version of an out...i'm pretty sure Cruz was the outside wr on that one, could be wrong tho

BeatYale
05-08-2012, 02:19 PM
One thing I do notice from looking back at some of these big plays. He's untouched at the LOS, the outside WR's get mauled by the CB though.

I don't think it's safe to assume he can automatically be as successful on the outside when he was getting so many clean releases off the snap through out this past season.

Drez
05-08-2012, 02:20 PM

i'd assume that it depends on different offenses. but in our offense, i'd assume slot or outside, the reactions to the defenses would be similar if not the same. the goal being to get to open space...so not sure exactly thats a good question u ask, maybe some of our resident football minds knows and can explain it clearly
Getting to open space depends a lot on where you are. If you are lined up outside you pretty much just have your corner to deal with and whether or not they're playing a safety over the top. On the inside, you have to look for LBs, CBs, Ss, maybe even defensive linemen that are dropping into a zone coverage. Also, on the outside, there aren't as many places to go, as you have the sideline on one side of you. Even if you're the sole receiver on one side, but lined up in the slot you can go in or out.

BeatYale
05-08-2012, 02:21 PM

on cruz's 2nd td vs philly, he motioned, but i still believe he was the outside wr and i dont even remember another wr being on his side of the field. cruz ran a backwards C route, started inside, ran vertical, than broke outside...Ballard ran a version of an out...i'm pretty sure Cruz was the outside wr on that one, could be wrong tho

True. He still goes untouched off the snap though.

Neverend
05-08-2012, 02:23 PM
I definitely think cruz can be dominant on the outside just AS much as he is on the inside

The way he gets separation at will, settles in zone, gets an amazing amount of yards after the catch, and beats any kind of coverage is all very impressive subsequently making him the best slot wr in the league but I think the most underrated aspect of his game is his jump ball skills which I think are elite

You saw it against nnadmi, orlando scrandrick, the preseason against the jets. Cruz has unbelievably rare jump ball and body contorting skills for his size. I think he even jumped 42 inches at his pro day. That skills serves very well on the outside and can make him an elite outside receiver in my opinion as well

I think its a moot discussion anyway. When the Giants are in their 3 WR sets, cruz will be inside. When not, Cruz will be outside. Its a win-win both ways :thumbs up:

BeatYale
05-08-2012, 02:38 PM
[Nicks - New Guy - Cruz]
In this scenario Nicks is the only guy playing his usual spot.

[Nicks - Cruz - New Guy]
In this scenario we have two WRs who can be assumed to be 100% dependable.

I don't doubt Cruz's abilities, but why fix what isn't broken? I say leave him in the slot where he's had the most success. The slot WR is an important position.

RoanokeFan
05-08-2012, 02:41 PM
[Nicks - New Guy - Cruz]

[Nicks - Cruz - New Guy]

<font color="#0000FF">I don't doubt Cruz's abilities, but why fix what isn't broken? I say leave him in the slot where he's had the most success. The slot WR is an important position</font>.

That's how Gilbride has drawn it up

gmen0820
05-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Right now, the slot position is just as dangerous and valuable a position as an outside guy.Well that I disagree with. Slot guys for the most part play in the slot because they are limited in some aspect of their game, not because it is a position of equal value. Think Marques Colston.

Now if I were arguing against myself, I would just say that Cruz was not nearly as productive outside of the slot, than he was in the slot. That is fair to say, but again, this is just my theory that I support with my observations, so I can understand any differing views.

PRFan
05-08-2012, 03:55 PM
[Nicks - New Guy - Cruz]

[Nicks - Cruz - New Guy]

<font color="#0000FF">I don't doubt Cruz's abilities, but why fix what isn't broken? I say leave him in the slot where he's had the most success. The slot WR is an important position</font>.

That's how Gilbride has drawn it up

Yup. I don't see the issue. He'll play both.

RoanokeFan
05-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Right now, the slot position is just as dangerous and valuable a position as an outside guy.Well that I disagree with. Slot guys for the most part play in the slot because they are limited in some aspect of their game, not because it is a position of equal value. Think Marques Colston.

Now if I were arguing against myself, I would just say that Cruz was not nearly as productive outside of the slot, than he was in the slot. That is fair to say, but again, this is just my theory that I support with my observations, so I can understand any differing views.

I think it can depend on who the player in the slot is. Victor seems to be able to run any route from the slot in 3 WR sets or on the outside in 2 WR sets. His talents just seem to be endless and, we hope, improving.

BlueSanta
05-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Right now, the slot position is just as dangerous and valuable a position as an outside guy.Well that I disagree with. .

Well, I guess we disagree then. The problem for you is Victor Cruz just had the best season of any Giants WR ever in terms of yards, and he did it from the slot. Steve Smith had the most receptions ever for a Giants reciever, and he did it from the slot.

So the stats are on my side with regards to this team, this offense and this QB and the value of a slot reciever.

Slot guys arent in the slot because they are "deficient" they are in the slot for a very good reason. The smaller shifter guys are harder to cover when they can break any direction and lining up in the middle of the field gives them that. The sideline cuts the field in half for the outside guys so the big physical straight line guys often line up outside.

BeatYale
05-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Right now, the slot position is just as dangerous and valuable a position as an outside guy.Well that I disagree with. .

Well, I guess we disagree then. The problem for you is Victor Cruz just had the best season of any Giants WR ever in terms of yards, and he did it from the slot. Steve Smith had the most receptions ever for a Giants reciever, and he did it from the slot.

So the stats are on my side with regards to this team, this offense and this QB.

Slot guys arent in the slot because they are "deficient" they are in the slot for a very good reason. The smaller shifter guys are harder to cover when they can break any direction. The sideline cuts the field in half for the bigger guys so the big physical straight line guys often line up outside.

Those are very good points. The Giants records for both receptions and receiving yards are both held by guys who did the majority of their damage from the slot position.

Neverend
05-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Bigger guys can definitely excel from the slot as well. Look at Marques Colston, granted his stats aren't amazing, but he does a ton of damage from the slot.

He isn't quick, explosive, or fast but he's a matchup nightmare in the slot and the saints uses his size/radius to his advantage in that area. film guru greg cosell wrote an oustanding piece about that

BlueSanta
05-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Bigger guys can definitely excel from the slot as well. Look at Marques Colston, granted his stats aren't amazing, but he does a ton of damage from the slot.

He isn't quick, explosive, or fast but he's a matchup nightmare in the slot and the saints uses his size/radius to his advantage in that area. film guru greg cosell wrote an oustanding piece about that

Ya, I didn't mean to typecast. As I said originally TE stats in recent years have also ballooned because of the rule changes. Obviously, they arent small shfty guys.

My point is moreso that the slot , or inside receiver is now as valuable as the outside guys. The league's defenses have not adjusted to the new rules very well, particularly 3-4 defenses. In the past, the underneath middle of the field in a 3-4 defense was a no fly zone. Lbs mauled anyone coming even close to that area with, or without the ball. Now, no touchy or yellow baggy come out. Much like the early 80's where the sack came into dominance the game is changing. When the dust settles defenses will adjust some, but the slot recievers and TEs roles have changed for as long as the rules stay. They are a key factor in offenses now, just as important as outside guys.

This is also another reason we are seeing the LB position change somewhat. Cover linebackers in the NFL were never considered a priority until recent years. Taking 1 early in the draft just didnt happen. Now it does as dcoords are trying to find answers to the problems the new rules present.