PDA

View Full Version : Is Jernigan being wasted?

AllTuckedUp
05-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Cruz is very good in the slot and it makes sense to start him there over outside. However, I don't see Jernigan being able to play outside. He is built for and accustomed to playing the slot position. Therefore, do you think a lot of his potential is being wasted?

Kruunch
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM
If we have a better guy playing the position, then no.

And the only thing I've seen from JJ last year in the slot is dropped passes.

JJ has to prove he can make the team, much less start somewhere. And he's got some stiff competition.

Marvelousmik
05-08-2012, 02:10 PM

JJ has to prove he can make the team, much less start somewhere. And he's got some stiff competition.

Not to mention fumbles on kickoffs. I really dont trust JJ. I hope he pans out though.

XxBigWhitxX
05-08-2012, 02:12 PM
yep and the main reason is because no one expected Cruz to do what he did this season. The thought going in was that Cruz would be a nice 4th guy who could maybe come in as the slot a couple times, but with his slot dominance they realize that they don't need a slot guy they need another outside threat (thus the drafting of Randle). sure they'll try to get something out of jernigan but his ability will ultimatley wasted here. Unless he dominates as a return man.

TuckYou
05-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Jernigan could be the new Sinorice Moss.

Mod_C
05-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Cruz is very good in the slot and it makes sense to start him there over outside. However, I don't see Jernigan being able to play outside. He is built for and accustomed to playing the slot position. Therefore, do you think a lot of his potential is being wasted?

There's an article in today's news thread that you might be interested in. Gilbride discusses this topic.

Mod_C
05-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Based on one shortened season?

TuckYou
05-08-2012, 02:25 PM

</P>

Notice I said COULD. Same frame, same college numbers, same production rookie year. Bottom line is, the Giants RARELY have little WRs be productive at all. I think Moss could of been a better player else where to be honest. I think JJ probably would be a better player somewhere else where he isnt burried too. I think Randle and Hixon will step in front of JJ in the depth charts, limiting his roll with the Giants, just like Moss' roll was minimized. </P>

By the way, I don't remember Moss ever dropping a pass for us. </P>

RoanokeFan
05-08-2012, 02:35 PM

</p>

Notice I said COULD. Same frame, same college numbers, same production rookie year. Bottom line is, the Giants RARELY have little WRs be productive at all. I think Moss could of been a better player else where to be honest. I think JJ probably would be a better player somewhere else where he isnt burried too. I think Randle and Hixon will step in front of JJ in the depth charts, limiting his roll with the Giants, just like Moss' roll was minimized. </p>

By the way, I don't remember Moss ever dropping a pass for us. </p>

Reese was quoted as saying about Moss; "he catches everything thrown at him." The problem was what he did, or more accurately failed to do, after the catch. I vividly remember routinely screaming at the TV when he would run out of a first down. He had no knack to make the first defender miss.

Now had you said Barden.......[;)]

BlueSanta
05-08-2012, 02:43 PM
We wont know until we see him play.

The book on Sinorice was easy to read. In the senior bowl, where he won MVP, the rules prohibit press coverage. DBs lined up 5-8 yards off him all game. Many teams do this in preseason too. They practice coverages that they need to practice. However, in real games teams play the style of defense most suited to stopping offenses. Sinorice was horrible at getting off the los vs press coverage. He was not physical enough to deal with a DB that got in his face.

We have no idea how physical JJ is a this point. But, based on his college film he does appear to be more so than Sinorice.

I just think he is a pure slot reciever and therefor is going to be stuck behind Cruz on the depth chart. We should see him when we run 4 wide and when injuries mount.

yoeddy
05-08-2012, 02:48 PM

</p>

Notice I said COULD. Same frame, same college numbers, same production rookie year. Bottom line is, the Giants RARELY have little WRs be productive at all. I think Moss could of been a better player else where to be honest. I think JJ probably would be a better player somewhere else where he isnt burried too. I think Randle and Hixon will step in front of JJ in the depth charts, limiting his roll with the Giants, just like Moss' roll was minimized. </p>

Reese was quoted as saying about Moss; "he catches everything thrown at him."** The problem was what he did, or more accurately failed to do, after the catch.* I vividly remember routinely screaming at the TV when he would run out of a first down.* He had no knack to make the first defender miss.

Or...he failed to get open enough, so they didn't throw to him all that much...

RoanokeFan
05-08-2012, 02:53 PM

</p>

Reese was quoted as saying about Moss; "he catches everything thrown at him." The problem was what he did, or more accurately failed to do, after the catch. I vividly remember routinely screaming at the TV when he would run out of a first down. He had no knack to make the first defender miss.

Or...he failed to get open enough, so they didn't throw to him all that much...

That too.

BeatYale
05-08-2012, 02:56 PM
I don't believe its fair to put labels on some of these guys when they are so young. Nicks was being portrayed as a slot/possession type WR, but he's clearly proven he can play on the outside.

JJ had a far more productive college career than Sinorice Moss.

People forget these kids were part time athletes in college. Now as a pro they spend a lot more time learning their craft.

RoanokeFan
05-08-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't believe its fair to put labels on some of these guys when they are so young. Nicks was being portrayed as a slot/possession type WR, but he's clearly proven he can play on the outside.

JJ had a far more productive college career than Sinorice Moss.

People forget these kids were part time athletes in college. Now as a pro they spend a lot more time learning their craft.

The organization will give him ample time to get in the groove. His best shot at that will be this season.

TuckYou
05-08-2012, 03:04 PM
The book on Sinorice was easy to read. In the senior bowl, where he won MVP, the rules prohibit press coverage. DBs lined up 5-8 yards off him all game. Many teams do this in preseason too. They practice coverages that they need to practice. However, in real games teams play the style of defense most suited to stopping offenses. Sinorice was horrible at getting off the los vs press coverage. He was not physical enough to deal with a DB that got in his face.
</P>

Exactly. Let me know when we see JJ do anything different. He will have his shot though, we learned that by watching Sinorice get his, over and over.</P>

gumby742
05-08-2012, 04:31 PM

Whenever i see him with that ball, he scampers around the field like a madman, making all these cuts and moves, only to realize he returned the punt 2 yards.

yoeddy
05-08-2012, 04:35 PM

Whenever i see him with that ball, he scampers around the field like a madman, making all these cuts and moves, only to realize he returned the punt 2 yards.

I saw Jernigan do that in preseason, but I think he showed signs of not being so wacky towards the end of the season...

JMFP2
05-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Cruz is very good in the slot and it makes sense to start him there over outside. However, I don't see Jernigan being able to play outside. He is built for and accustomed to playing the slot position. Therefore, do you think a lot of his potential is being wasted?</P>

Personally, I think that was a bad pick on the part of the Giants.</P>

Maybe I'm wrong....but the Giants are crazy deep at WR, and suspect on the offensive line.</P>

Would have much rather picked up an OL instead of Jernigan.</P>

AllTuckedUp
05-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Cruz is very good in the slot and it makes sense to start him there over outside. However, I don't see Jernigan being able to play outside. He is built for and accustomed to playing the slot position. Therefore, do you think a lot of his potential is being wasted?</P>

Maybe I'm wrong....but the Giants are crazy deep at WR, and suspect on the offensive line.</P>

I like the point one of the previous posters made. Jerry had no idea Cruz was going to be that good. The initial plan was to have JJ in the slot with Mario and Nicks to go on the outside.

BeatYale
05-08-2012, 05:32 PM

That's too easy to say in hind sight. Going into the season everyone knew we had to develop a replacement for Steve Smith.

JMFP2
05-08-2012, 05:37 PM

That's too easy to say in hind sight. Going into the season everyone knew we had to develop a replacement for Steve Smith.</P>

I'm not going to disagree with your comments RE Steve Smith. But even saying that, I preferred an OL instead of a WR......and it showed last season....the offensive line struggled.</P>

TuckYou
05-08-2012, 06:01 PM

That's too easy to say in hind sight. Going into the season everyone knew we had to develop a replacement for Steve Smith.</P>

I'm not going to disagree with your comments RE Steve Smith. But even saying that, I preferred an OL instead of a WR......and it showed last season....the offensive line struggled.</P>

</P>

I think OL should always be more important then WR to address. Eli is the gear in the Giants machine that we can not afford to break. </P>

NorwoodBlue
05-08-2012, 08:15 PM
How can you possibly have a sense of what JJ can do when all you've seen is a rookie season based on a lock-out and shortened training camp. Anything we got out of rookies last year was a bonus. As well as the rookie LB did, and how well Hynoski played later in the season, they look like a good group. I think JJ will give a much truer picture of what he's capable of this year, same with Da'rel Scott, and Prince. Brewer might still be a season away, we'll see.

If you're ready to call JJ a bust, what would you call Prince? He looked absolutely horrible last year. Give these guys a break, and see how they play once they start understanding the system better, and have a full off-season to prepare for the season.

GameTime
05-08-2012, 11:00 PM

how do waste a player's potential when he essentially found no place where he even showed any flashes??</P>

way too soon to even make that statement....</P>

</P>

Redeyejedi
05-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Cruz is very good in the slot and it makes sense to start him there over outside. However, I don't see Jernigan being able to play outside. He is built for and accustomed to playing the slot position. Therefore, do you think a lot of his potential is being wasted?The Giants didnt know Cruz was going to break out like that but i agree he may have a hard time finding snaps

Redeyejedi
05-08-2012, 11:15 PM

Would have much rather picked up an OL instead of Jernigan.</P>I thought they were going to take Luke Stocker the TE from TENN. I was convinced of it when he was on the board.

Redeyejedi
05-08-2012, 11:18 PM

We have no idea how physical JJ is a this point. But, based on his college film he does appear to be more so than Sinorice.

I just think he is a pure slot reciever and therefor is going to be stuck behind Cruz on the depth chart. We should see* him when we run 4 wide and when injuries mount.
Jernigans tape in college was much better then Moss. I still dont understand the Moss pick. he wasnt even a good college player

JJC7301
05-09-2012, 01:36 AM

I haven't given up on him -- it was his rookie season.

One our starting receivers will probably go down with an injury sometime this year, so JJ had better be ready.

Kruunch
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM

I just think he is a pure slot reciever and therefor is going to be stuck behind Cruz on the depth chart. We should see him when we run 4 wide and when injuries mount.
Jernigans tape in college was much better then Moss. I still dont understand the Moss pick. he wasnt even a good college player

Senior Bowl MVP?

Redeyejedi
05-09-2012, 10:01 AM

I just think he is a pure slot reciever and therefor is going to be stuck behind Cruz on the depth chart. We should see* him when we run 4 wide and when injuries mount.

Senior Bowl MVP?
U mean the game they dont play press coverage Surprising he could do well in that game " rolls eyes"

TuckYou
05-09-2012, 10:27 AM

Senior Bowl MVP?
U mean the game they dont play press coverage Surprising he could do well in that game " rolls eyes"</P>

No. It was because of Santana Moss. Just like why we were so high on Eli and Tiki. We love family ties to the NFL. There was another one but I cant remember who it was. DeOssie's pops also played for us. </P>

Bohemian
05-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Simply put; this is the year where we get to see which of the receivers are truly worth their roster spot. The team is clearly transitioning at the position, and if Hixon, Jernigan, Barden and DePalma don't get it together one way or another, it is easy to see how any of them may not make it past the pre-season.

By the way. Who is this DePalma?

nygsb42champs
05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
How can you say he is being wasted? When he had a few chances last year he did nothing with them.

BigBlue1971
05-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Jernigan could be the new Sinorice Moss.</P>

</P>

he hasnt shown signs of being Moss 2.0 yet! i think Barden could carry the "Moss" label before Jernigan would!</P>

with the wideout competion in camp i expect JJ will need to step it up a notch and i think he will. </P>

i believe he will eventually be a big part of the Giants receiving offense along with Nicks, Cruz and R2.</P>

G-Man67
05-09-2012, 12:51 PM
im willing to give him a pass on his first year, but yeah we need to see something this year

B&RWarrior
05-09-2012, 03:30 PM
3 years. That's how long it takes most WRs to get it all together. Jernigan coming from a small program I expect around the same time table.

The guy lined up at WR maybe 5 times last year so I don't see how this year is his make or break year.

The competition for the 3rd WR spot is wide open.

chasjay
05-09-2012, 04:14 PM

I don't know about wasted potential. Potential is what gets you drafted or signed as a FA. After that it is all performance, and I trust the staff to judge that. I do hope he makes a productive place for himself on the roster and becomes a dependable part of the receiving corps.

TuckYou
05-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Jernigan could be the new Sinorice Moss.</P>

</P>

he hasnt shown signs of being Moss 2.0 yet! i think Barden could carry the "Moss" label before Jernigan would!</P>

with the wideout competion in camp i expect JJ will need to step it up a notch and i think he will. </P>

i believe he will eventually be a big part of the Giants receiving offense along with Nicks, Cruz and R2.</P>

</P>

Barden is carrying the Anthony Mix v2.0 right now. </P>

ibbill
05-09-2012, 06:21 PM

+1

BK07071
05-09-2012, 08:28 PM
To answer your question....Jerigan is a waste. He's gun shy and afraid to take a hit!

RoanokeFan
05-09-2012, 08:44 PM
To answer your question....Jerigan is a waste. He's gun shy and afraid to take a hit!

On what do you base that assessment?