PDA

View Full Version : KEVIN GILBRIDE SHEDS SOME LIGHT...

RoanokeFan
05-08-2012, 02:22 PM
GIANTS' KEVIN GILBRIDE: VICTOR CRUZ WILL REMAIN SLOT RECEIVER (http://www.giants101.com/2012/05/08/new-york-giants-kevin-gilbride-victor-cruz-will-remain-slot-receiver/)

"While appearing at Southern Connecticut State University alongside wide
receiver Hakeem Nicks, New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants offensive coordinator <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Kevin Gilbride" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/kevin-gilbride/" rel="tag nofollow">Kevin
Gilbride</a> fielded a wide range of questions (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/14000/gilbride-hoping-top-picks-help-right-away) on Monday night. Among them
were inquiries about wideout <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Victor Cruz" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/victor-cruz/" rel="tag nofollow">Victor
Cruz</a> and which role he'll play on offense during the 2012-2013 season.

Ending all the previous speculation, Gilbride said Cruz would remain the slot
receiver.</p>
<div><div id="beacon_4f69846c7e">http://d1.openx.org/lg.php?bannerid=544983&amp;campaignid=255373&amp;zoneid=86 840&amp;loc=1&amp;referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.giants101.com%2 F2012%2F05%2F08%2Fnew-york-giants-kevin-gilbride-victor-cruz-will-remain-slot-receiver%2F&amp;cb=4f69846c7e&amp;r_id=1102b60602ef5672945 5fb052522a3e4&amp;r_ts=m3pr84</div>

</div>

<blockquote>

“[The slot receiver] was what Cruz was this year. He can play the outside,
but he was much more proficient inside," Gilbride said. “You need that third
guy. Hopefully, if not one of our returning veterans, Randle will be able to
give us what we’re looking for.”</p></blockquote>

In other words, it will be an open competition between <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Jerrel Jernigan" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/jerrel-jernigan/" rel="tag nofollow">Jerrel
Jernigan</a>, <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Ramses Barden" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/ramses-barden/" rel="tag nofollow">Ramses
Barden</a>, <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Domenik Hixon" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/domenik-hixon/" rel="tag nofollow">Domenik
Hixon</a> and <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Rueben Randle" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/rueben-randle/" rel="tag nofollow">Rueben
Randle</a> for the second outside spot. And although it's not necessarily a
scenario that benefits the 5'9'' Jernigan, whom head coach Tom Coughlin once
jokingly referred to as "One Play JJ", Gilbride feels he has the mental tools
required to learn and adapt to the new position.</p>

Gilbride also touched on the offensive line and the potential alignment,
saying David Diehl at right tackle and Kevin Boothe at left guard will likely be
the configuration.</p>
<blockquote>

"That would certainly seem to be the most likely way to do it," Gilbride
said. "Those are your five guys starting. If we keep Beatty healthy, he's
already out now. You have five starters but you got to get some guys behind that
come to the forefront in case one of them goes down."</p></blockquote>

Finally, the offensive coordinator answered some questions on the newly
signed Martellus Bennett, saying the tight end has everything necessary to make
a big impact for Big Blue.</p>
<blockquote>

“I think he has the chance to be a very good all-around player; blocker,
receiver, the whole bit,” Gilbride said. “He just hasn’t done it to the
satisfaction of the Dallas people. We look at him and we see as a guy that
physically has the chance to be very good.”</p></blockquote>

The Giants have done a great job amassing bodies that can fill in at a number
of different positions, and they continued to do that through the 2012 NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) Draft.
Ultimately, one word comes to mind: Dynamic.</p>

So long as the offensive line can stay healthy this season, New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/)'s
offense could very well field more firepower than we've seen of any Giants team
in recent memory."</p>

JesseJames
05-08-2012, 06:19 PM
" more firepower than we've seen of any Giants team in recent memory."

that has a real nice sound to it...

ashleymarie
05-08-2012, 07:03 PM
"Ultimately, one word comes to mind: Dynamic."</P>

-------------------------------------------------------------</P>

Great Word for our team. Maybe "dynasty" in the near future.</P>

Bluedawg
05-08-2012, 07:35 PM
This offense should be tight. Ive never seen the Giants with this much talent on Offense.

TuckYou
05-08-2012, 07:38 PM
They dont call him the Slot Machine for nothing. </P>

Crrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuzzz!</P>

NY_Eli
05-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Wow very informative. I really thought Jernigan was going to be used in the slot a lot, looks like Nicks Cruz and Randle are the top 3 guys though.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-09-2012, 12:52 AM
I read this as "kevin gilbride sheds some weight". I laughed

Shockeystays08
05-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Wow very informative. I really thought Jernigan was going to be used in the slot a lot, looks like Nicks Cruz and Randle are the top 3 guys though.

I'd say it looks like the top 2 guys are Hicks and Cruz and the 3rd will be decided between JJ, Hixon and Barden. RR has done nothing yet. The Giants are not just going to hand him the job. It's not there MO. Especially when RR runs his Route Tree with our DB's draped all over him. JJ played outside as well as the slot at Troy. I looked at his highlights once again and compared them to RR' highlights. JJ looks far more impressive after the catch.Carolina's Steve Smith is 5'9 and 185 the same as JJ and has been very productive outside. Jernigan has equal tools if not better ones. I still think Randle will contribute as the 4th WR only unless Cruz has a Sophmore slump and JJ goes to the slot and RR goes outside. Fact is one of those 4 will be hurt at one point or another and all will have there shot to get the job done. I hope to be eating crow about Randle come this Fall but I don't think I 'll be chewing on Jernigan crow. He IS the real deal!

RoanokeFan
05-09-2012, 01:48 PM

I'd say it looks like the top 2 guys are Hicks and Cruz and the 3rd will be decided between JJ, Hixon and Barden. RR has done nothing yet. The Giants are not just going to hand him the job. It's not there MO. Especially when RR runs his Route Tree with our DB's draped all over him. JJ played outside as well as the slot at Troy. I looked at his highlights once again and compared them to RR' highlights. JJ looks far more impressive after the catch.Carolina's Steve Smith is 5'9 and 185 the same as JJ and has been very productive outside. Jernigan has equal tools if not better ones. I still think Randle will contribute as the 4th WR only unless Cruz has a Sophmore slump and JJ goes to the slot and RR goes outside. Fact is one of those 4 will be hurt at one point or another and all will have there shot to get the job done. I hope to be eating crow about Randle come this Fall but I don't think I 'll be chewing on Jernigan crow. He IS the real deal!

I'm inclined to take Barden out of the equation.

JesseJames
05-09-2012, 05:50 PM

I know Barden has had some injuries but up to now he's been less productive than Sinorice Moss...

CGYgiant
05-09-2012, 05:56 PM

I know Barden has had some injuries but up to now he's been less productive than Sinorice Moss...

What an extreme fall from grace, I remember people were happier we drafted Barden than Nicks, which sounds ridiculous now but a lot of people didn't like Nicks as much coming out.

RoanokeFan
05-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Gilbride has always liked Cruz based on comments he's made when asked. I think even he is surprised at how well Victor has done. Personally, I don't think it's that Victor is great in the slot as much as he's, well, a great receiver. This season will be very telling in that regard but if he puts up similar numbers and we can keep both him and Nicks for 4-5 years with contract extensions we could be a real force.

RoanokeFan
05-09-2012, 06:07 PM

Some will say it's because he's behind Nicks and Cruz, but Cruz flew by Barden and everybody but Nicks on the way to his Mr. Salsa. Barden has had opportunities, as did Sinorice Moss.

Shockeystays08
05-10-2012, 10:05 AM

I'd say it looks like the top 2 guys are Hicks and Cruz and the 3rd will be decided between JJ, Hixon and Barden. RR has done nothing yet. The Giants are not just going to hand him the job. It's not there MO. Especially when RR runs his Route Tree with our DB's draped all over him. JJ played outside as well as the slot at
Troy. I looked at his highlights once again and compared them to
RR' highlights. JJ looks far more impressive after the
catch.Carolina's Steve Smith is 5'9 and 185 the same as JJ and
has been very productive outside. Jernigan has equal tools if not
better ones. I still think Randle will contribute as the 4th WR only
unless Cruz has a Sophmore slump and JJ goes to the slot and
RR goes outside. Fact is one of those 4 will be hurt at one point
or another and all will have there shot to get the job done. I hope
to be eating crow about Randle come this Fall but I don't think I 'll
be chewing on Jernigan crow. He IS the real deal!

Hard to argue with that line of thinking. I believe Barden is a non
factor at this point. Maybe it will play out Hicks, Cruz , Jernigan, Randle, Hixon, and a new surprise. I kinda like the FA signing of the WR from Arizona? State?

LT_was_good
05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
I watched the NFL Films DVD the other night and, man, I forgot how many HUGE plays Cruz had. It was unbelievable. I guess that's going to happen on the way to 1,500+ yards at nearly 19 per catch.

jomo
05-10-2012, 11:06 AM
" more firepower than we've seen of any Giants team in recent memory."

that has a real nice sound to it...It would actually be more firepower than we have ever seen from the Giants. We don't exactly have a deep tradition of explosive offense. Our best offensive showings have really just come in the last few years.

bubblesmcgee
05-10-2012, 02:37 PM
For the love of God its NICKS

RoanokeFan
05-10-2012, 02:42 PM

What is?

BeatYale
05-10-2012, 03:17 PM

What is?

Someone, from page 1 of this topic, said Hicks instead of Nicks. This guy (oddly) decided to respond to it now without quoting it.

RoanokeFan
05-10-2012, 03:30 PM

What is?

Someone, from page 1 of this topic, said Hicks instead of Nicks. This guy (oddly) decided to respond to it now without quoting it.

WHEW! I was afraid of early onset Alzheimers

bubblesmcgee
05-10-2012, 04:32 PM

What is?

WHEW!* I was afraid of early onset Alzheimers*

Haha ya caught me its alzheimers. Whoops forgot to quote

giantman8493
05-10-2012, 04:46 PM

I'd say it looks like the top 2 guys are Hicks and Cruz and the 3rd will be decided between JJ, Hixon and Barden. RR has done nothing yet. The Giants are not just going to hand him the job. It's not there MO. Especially when RR runs his Route Tree with our DB's draped all over him. JJ played outside as well as the slot at

factor at this point. Maybe it will play out Hicks, Cruz , Jernigan, Randle, Hixon, and a new surprise. I kinda like the FA signing of the WR from Arizona? State?Nicks. Its not that hard to remember.

RoanokeFan
05-10-2012, 04:55 PM

factor at this point. Maybe it will play out Hicks, Cruz , Jernigan, Randle, Hixon, and a new surprise. I kinda like the FA signing of the WR from Arizona? State?

It's good to have so many "potentially quality" receivers