PDA

View Full Version : Video of all of Rueben Randle's catches/targets last year

Neverend
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGv0D38RXfs

After watching that, I really like what I see. He made an oustanding jump ball grab against kentucky that looked pretty awesome. He also showed the ability to consistently get open against zone coverage/cover 2 that doesnt show on the highlight reels. that translates well to our system

doesnt seem to be overly explosive/quick on breaking routes, but he wins with them anyway because he's smooth and fluid.

I think this video is definitely worth checking out.. gives you the entire perspective

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 02:20 PM
awesome video and link, thanks.

hoping R2 can work out even better in the M2 role

and the channel its posted under has a ton of player analysis clips, awesome find

Neverend
05-08-2012, 02:28 PM

and the channel its posted under has a ton of player analysis clips, awesome find

yeah, had to subscribe once I saw the offensive line videos. pretty awsum

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 02:28 PM
he has deceptive downfield speed, a real quick burst, looks like he can run a variety of routes, has some YAC ability...

i really believe he could transition into a more complete MM, he also showed he could beat press coverage but also showed press coverage can reroute him...so stoked about this guy

edit-it seemed a lot of those SEC d's respected his speed and preferred to play off him than press him...

this is all with pretty questionable qb play, eli elevates those around him, we might not have even seen how high his ceiling can be...see him working out awesome with eli throwing the ball

edit 2- he also displayed a good ability to catch in traffic, and some plays out of the slot...maybe i should finish watching the clip before posting lol

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 02:40 PM
he fights for every yard, he is solid at that slant route, and can use it to bait a db...he also has deceptive speed beating the press to the outside or inside, he sets up his moves really well but obviously will need to work on that at the nfl level

he is a really dangerous deepfield target, while also is a solid possession receiver underneath...

cant wait to see him in this offense, nicks cruz and r2 with JJ, Barden, and Hixon could be really...really dangerous

YATittle1962
05-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I see so much Hakeem Nicks in this kid its unbelievable

he has that Michael Irvin Lynn Swan thing that Nicks had coming out of college ...just with a little more height

I see a bright future for RR

nhpgiantsfan
05-08-2012, 03:18 PM
I'd say that the 3rd WR spot is his to lose. Can't wait to watch him develop..</P>

</P>

TuckYou
05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
The only thing I see I dislike is the drops. Some real easy drops in there. Lack of focus? Hope it isnt a cause for concern on the big stage.

giantsfan420
05-08-2012, 03:41 PM

he has that Michael Irvin Lynn Swan thing that Nicks had coming out of college ...just with a little more height

i agree emphatically...kid is deceptively fast downfield too, seems like the db's are in slow motion as he runs by them.

also like how he'll fight for every yard and do the reach the ball out to get as many yards as possible move...

also looks good beating press coverage, this kid has amazing upside, can't believe we got him at 63, when we picked at 32 i was hoping we'd get him there...somehow we got 2 first round quality players at the end of the first 2 rounds...dont know wtf SF was thinking taking Jenkins...

and R2 showed this talent and potential with a very questionable qb situation at LSU

Spedracer
05-08-2012, 04:24 PM
I haven't even watched the whole video yet and I can tell this guy is already better route runner than Mario Manningham was for us.

Manningham beat guys by being lined up against inferior talent, generally speaking. He was better than most team's 3rd corner, so he typically won those matchups. Randle is already a favorable matchup against most 3rd corners in the NFL.

Neverend
05-08-2012, 04:41 PM
I haven't even watched the whole video yet and I can tell this guy is already better route runner than Mario Manningham was for us.

Yeah, would have to agree here which is really exciting considering manningham's rookie year was a redshirt year for him whereas I think randle can play from day 1

he doesn't have manningham's lateral quickness and explosion off the line, but randle does a much better job in his technique. he does an oustanding job against press coverage by lowering his pad level and extending his arms. he pushes with his arms AT the db as he's running his route which allows him to avoid getting rerouted and slowed down then separating with a push off.

This guy is way beyond his years as a receiver when it comes to technique and recognition. Extremely technique-sound

BlueSanta
05-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Watching this make me so glad we have Eli. There are some serious bad throws in that clip. A few good ones too, but a lot of really bad ones. IC throws of back feet when nobody is in the Qbs face. I see late throws. Throws over the wrong shoulder. Throws into double coverage when other guys are wide open.

I am surprised there are as many R2 hightlights as there are considering...

Kase-1
05-08-2012, 07:33 PM

yeah, had to subscribe once I saw the offensive line videos. pretty awsumLMAO thats EXACTLY what I did

miked1958
05-08-2012, 11:15 PM

I see a bright future for RRWow imagine having him spread wide with Cruz and Nicks. Two TEs Bennett and Robinson. And AB or Wilson behind Eli..

Wow just wow. So many options for Eli

gmen0820
05-08-2012, 11:21 PM
First play was all I needed to see. X iso opposite trips, beats the CB for a back shoulder/comeback resulting in a TD.

RagTime Blue
05-09-2012, 12:18 AM
I see <font size="6">so much Hakeem Nicks</font> in this kid its unbelievable

I agree. Can go over the middle, get YAC, and fights well against coverage with fakes and more importantly, with his hands. Also seems to have no problem coming back for passes, which QB's LOVE.

Only thing I don't like is that unlike Hakeem, RR seems to let every pass hit him in the chest before securing it. In the NFL, defenders will use that split-second to jar the ball loose.

Looking forward to seeing him play!!

Manning2Niks
05-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Obviously there are a lot of positives on this kid; route running, speed, and the ability to hold on to the ball after the catch when taking a big lick to name a few.

However, a few things I didn't like were that he did not come down with any ball that was highly to moderately contested. He also did not come down with any of the tough catches. Obviously they're tough for a reason, but itd be nice to see him have come down with a couple if the tough ones.

That was one of the things that made me fall in love with nicks before his draft...he'd make incrediblely tough catches while remaining smooth and fluid.

I also noticed in this video that Randall seems to go down pretty much after the first hit. He wasn't breaking tackles for the most part which sort of concerned me. He did have some plays where he was spinning away and getting some more yards, but he really just goes down without much of a fight.

The other thing to watch are the few plays where he's pressed good on the line. He appears to let it effect him pretty regularly.

Overall I like him and think he was a great 2nd round pick and should do nice in our offense, I'm certainly not ****ting on him. I'm just slightly concerned as each point I mentioned above relates directly to his "fight". Fighting for the ball, fighting for extra yards, fighting against press. It's as though he relies on his speed and route running to get open but once he has to get physical and really compete for the ball or position he can't get it done.

Granted I'm looking at youtube film of a college kid who still has a ton of time to learn/perfect his craft, but those were still my take aways from what I saw.

giantsfan420
05-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Obviously there are a lot of positives on this kid; route running, speed, and the ability to hold on to the ball after the catch when taking a big lick to name a few.

However, a few things I didn't like were that he did not come down with any ball that was highly to moderately contested. He also did not come down with any of the tough catches. Obviously they're tough for a reason, but itd be nice to see him have come down with a couple if the tough ones.

That was one of the things that made me fall in love with nicks before his draft...he'd make incrediblely tough catches while remaining smooth and fluid.

I also noticed in this video that Randall seems to go down pretty much after the first hit. He wasn't breaking tackles for the most part which sort of concerned me. He did have some plays where he was spinning away and getting some more yards, but he really just goes down without much of a fight.

The other thing to watch are the few plays where he's pressed good on the line. He appears to let it effect him pretty regularly.

Overall I like him and think he was a great 2nd round pick and should do nice in our offense, I'm certainly not ****ting on him. I'm just slightly concerned as each point I mentioned above relates directly to his "fight". Fighting for the ball, fighting for extra yards, fighting against press. It's as though he relies on his speed and route running to get open but once he has to get physical and really compete for the ball or position he can't get it done.

Granted I'm looking at youtube film of a college kid who still has a ton of time to learn/perfect his craft, but those were still my take aways from what I saw.

i see it differently, almost every throw led to him making difficult catchesbc the qb play was pretty bad...
he also made some contested catches deep.

i also saw him beat press coverage very well, in fact it seemed most DB's preferred to play off of him bc he would beat their press...

that said i do agree a lot of his catches he appeared to let the ball hit his chest and not use his hands as much as i'd like.

he also fought hard for extra yards with that reach the ball out before being officially downed...

i think its a fair assessment that you make tho except for the differences of opinions I had

THE_New_York_Giants
05-09-2012, 02:16 AM
I think he is a carbon copy of plax. Not just from a height perspective, but from a style perspective. He isn't lazy on his routes like Plax was.

giantsfan420
05-09-2012, 02:37 AM
I think he is a carbon copy of plax. Not just from a height perspective, but from a style perspective. He isn't lazy on his routes like Plax was.

i see some similarities but not many.

i think he compares much more to nicks...and even MM more than Plex.

Plex was a beast in jump ball situations, and also catching with his hands...but they both are deceptively fast downfield, and both use their size somewhat to their advantage but Plex destroys randle in that aspect...plex also is much better facing the press, but its early in randles career

i also believe randle is faster and quicker, at least than the plex from last season and his last season with us...

that'd be sick if randle could bring to the table what plex did tho...i believe r2 will surpass plex after a few seasons

Bohemian
05-09-2012, 02:43 AM
It is impressive to see how similar his style of play is to Nick's play in college.

B&RWarrior
05-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Manningham beat guys by being lined up against inferior talent, generally speaking. He was better than most team's 3rd corner, so he typically won those matchups. Randle is already a favorable matchup against most 3rd corners in the NFL.

MM was productive wherever he lined up. He made plays as the No 1, 2, and 3 WR.

MM is a legitimate #2 WR in the NFL. Randle is no where near as explosive off the line as MM.

Randle looks but I'm not ready to put him above MM before he plays a down.

Mercury
05-09-2012, 08:32 AM

I see a bright future for RRWow imagine having him spread wide with Cruz and Nicks. Two TEs Bennett and Robinson. And AB or Wilson behind Eli..

So let me get this straight. You picture 3WR, 2 TE, 1RB on the field at the same time? Yes, that gives Eli tons of options, but he better get rid of the ball quickly since that only leaves 4 men on the Oline. Or were you picturing a yellow flag for 12 on the field?

THE_New_York_Giants
05-09-2012, 10:54 AM

So let me get this straight.* You picture 3WR, 2 TE, 1RB on the field at the same time?* Yes, that gives Eli tons of options, but he better get rid of the ball quickly since that only leaves 4 men on the Oline.* Or were you picturing a yellow flag for 12 on the field?

Or a wildcat formation.

GMENAGAIN
05-09-2012, 11:08 AM
I see so much Hakeem Nicks in this kid its unbelievable he has that Michael Irvin Lynn Swan thing that Nicks had coming out of college ...just with a little more height I see a bright future for RR</P>

Before the draft, I actually heard Mike Mayock compare him to Nicks. I was thrilled when he was there for us in the second . . . . .</P>

</P>

BigBlue1971
05-09-2012, 11:10 AM
great vid of Randle and his play!</P>

if this guy quickly learns the offense and develops into a threat how will opponent defenses stop the Giants!</P>

i cant wait to see this offense in action this season!</P>

</P>

giantsfan420
05-09-2012, 12:02 PM
I see so much Hakeem Nicks in this kid its unbelievable he has that Michael Irvin Lynn Swan thing that Nicks had coming out of college ...just with a little more height I see a bright future for RR</P>

Before the draft, I actually heard Mike Mayock compare him to Nicks.* I was thrilled when he was there for us in the second . . . . .</P>

*</P>

Marc Ross, Giants Scout, and Jerry Reese, GM, and Cosell, NFL Films head analysis also made the claim of Randle being very similar to Nicks

Neverend
05-09-2012, 08:58 PM

Coming from a guy who was a randle critic during the draft process I would have to disagree that when he has to get physical he can't get it done

I actually think his speed is more overrated. He's a long strider with deceptive speed, I don't think he runs at that 4.3 speed he ran at his pro day. Theres nothing wrong with that of course, but I wouldn't classify his game as being or relying on speed

There are plenty of catches that show he is physical at the catch point. Some of those short/underneath catches showed very good physicality. I know it doesn't show more downfield, but at least in the short/intermediate passing game it does show. On some plays he showed the ability to fight of press and separate, or take a big hit in the middle of the field. He also flashed nice physicality after the catch by breaking some tackles.

I don't think he is in the mold of Nicks in terms of his big play style and the way he catches the ball, but he absolutely showed the ability in some cases to make plays by being physical. Just not deep downfield on catches as he lost some 1-on-1 battles that disappointed me

nevada11
05-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Western Kentucky was the only game film I did not like. Every other game was good.

BlueSanta
05-16-2012, 12:02 AM
I actually do not agree about him looking like Nicks on tape.

I like what I see from randle but for very different reasons.

JMFP2
05-16-2012, 12:11 AM
He's got a real smooth style. Unfortunately, so few throws hit him in stride....he constantly had to wait for the pass.

Neverend
05-16-2012, 12:16 AM

Same. Sure, they have some qualities they share together but I think the differences are large and significant enough to say they don't look alike for the most part.

giantsfan420
05-16-2012, 12:47 AM

Its all ablut perspective i guess. Marc ross, jr, and cosell all mentioned how randle is very similar to nicks. Besides a few words they never really clarify. Ex. "Both can make tough grabds, play physical..."Lol like i wish that jr and ross would let us know why they said he reminds them of nicks, in some sort of detail.
cosell summed it up better than jr and ross but even he wasnt very definitive or detailed. Same "both can run all the routes, go across the middle, both provide big targets and can seperate."

I see similarities to mm too. But i do agree randle reminds me of nicks and that his game is similar.

Both are deceptively fast, ppl dont think of nicks as a speed type but he outran the d last season how many times? Randle too also was a very good deep threat. But they both can run those short slants and ins/outs and both can run effective intermediate routes. Randle runs a pretty smooth comeback, and nicks is great at it as well, both have an undrstanding of using their body to get in the best position at the critical moments.

nevada11
05-17-2012, 05:54 PM

Lmfao. Werent u the one praising Beatty about how tremendously he held his own against trent cole and played great against the eagles? Werent u the one saying that when I linked a video to that channel to say beatty isnt as great as you were making him out to be ur response was "its a youtube video and the video is 4 minutes long. a video from youtube does not show what beatty is about". now its an awesome channel to you? oh i see, u just think ur better than u really are and get to play genius and like a video from that channel whenever u see fit...lmfao at people like that

appodictic
05-26-2012, 12:12 AM
He looks more aggressive then that other 6;5' receiver on out team.

scf424
05-27-2012, 02:51 AM
He should do very well with Eli throwing him the ball.

Granted, he's a rookie adjusting to pro defenses, but we can all see how athleticism combined with readiness can turn into a monster. If he has a rookie season similar to Nicks, I will be ecstatic.

Diamondring
05-27-2012, 04:38 AM
Every thing I see about him is good and I predicted that he will do good as well. Glad to have heem. He shielded the ball well like Nicks be doing and he did show decepting speed like another poster has said.

swordfish
05-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Needs to work on catching the ball with his hands, and a few too many drops.