PDA

View Full Version : Is Eli the greatest playoff QB ever?

FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts
05-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Given this past postseason, Eli has put up a pretty impressive playoff resume.

NFL Record most road playoff wins by a quarterback (5)
Most passing yards in a single postseason (1219 yards)
Tied for 2nd with most Superbowl MVPs (2 - tied with Brady and Terry Bradshaw, only Joe Montana has more with 3)

That's pretty impressive, and I don't think he's done yet. My prediction is when it's all said and done, we'll be debating on if he was the greatest QB to ever take the field. The Giants did this franchise a huge favor making that trade for this guy.

juice33s
05-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Joe Montana

BlueSanta
05-08-2012, 06:48 PM
lets count em when all is said and done, but atm its Joe.

B&RWarrior
05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Joe, Elway, Steve Young

gmen46
05-08-2012, 08:21 PM
lets count em when all is said and done, but atm its Joe.

+1

Bohemian
05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Joe, Elway, Steve Young

It is Joe without any question!

Eli is better than a lot of great QBs of years past, but just not on that ridiculous of a top level. Eli may even be HOF material when it is all said and done, but unless he wins another Super Bowl, we will still have to save that kind of question for someone else.

Montana is the best QB that I ever saw play.

I would consider Bradshaw, Brady and Aikman as those following Montana's standard.

I would then put Eli at this third level.

Lastly, I would put Elway, Tarkenton, Staubach, Griese, Rothlisberger, Plunket, Starr, Warner and kelly.

The thing about Elway, is that he was one of my all time favorites to be sure, but he had some horrible Super Bowl games. He completely chocked in his second and third tries at it. I still remember watching his game against the 9ers, and he was so horrible in that.

JMFP2
05-08-2012, 08:27 PM
He was before my time, but if you are talking great playoff QBs, I'd go with Bart Starr.</P>

5 NFL Championships (1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967)</P>

2 Super Bowl Championships(SB 1 and SB 2)</P>

2 Super Bowl MVPs</P>

2nd highest playoff passer rating (104)</P>

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PLAYER_ID=200</P>

Bohemian
05-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Bart Starr.

He definitely crossed my mind, as did Otto Graham... but I don't have much respect for the days when the league was mostly segregated. I do appreciate their accomplishments and characters as athletes, but I have a hard time thinking that fans got to see the best of the best play. Much like my thoughts about baseball, anything prior to the 70s is hard to stomach for me. I would put Starr on that last group of QBs below Eli.

I guess that another factor about those teams in the stone age, is that players were completely subjected to the absolute control by the team owners. I am very grateful for free agency, and winning two championships today is way harder than it was for the Vince Lombardi Packers of the Mesozoic period.

GMENAGAIN
05-08-2012, 08:45 PM
He was before my time, but if you are talking great playoff QBs, I'd go with Bart Starr.</P>

5 NFL Championships (1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967)</P>

2 Super Bowl Championships(SB 1 and SB 2)</P>

2 Super Bowl MVPs</P>

2nd highest playoff passer rating (104)</P>

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PLAYER_ID=200</P>

</P>

Starr is underrated as an all-time QB.</P>

Arguably, Favre is only the third best QB in Packer history . . . . . </P>

FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts
05-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Joe, Elway, Steve Young

Eli is better than a lot of great QBs of years past, but just not on that ridiculous of a top level. Eli may even be HOF material when it is all said and done, but unless he wins another Super Bowl, we will still have to save that kind of question for someone else.

I would consider Bradshaw, Brady and Aikman as those following Montana's standard.

Lastly, I would put Elway, Tarkenton, Staubach, Griese, Rothlisberger, Plunket, Starr, Warner and kelly.

The thing about Elway, is that he was one of my all time favorites to be sure, but he had some horrible Super Bowl games. He completely chocked in his second and third tries at it. I still remember watching his game against the 9ers, and he was so horrible in that.

I would rank Eli in that second class at least.

Montana's playoff stats are phenomenal, I just looked them up, but so are Eli's - so I think he has a shot to catch him.

I was surprised by how poor Elway's were, they were still way better than most, but compared to the rest of the elite QBs not that great.

Eli's postseason stats are currently
2516 yards 17 TDs 8 INTs 61.5 completion precentage 89.3 passer rating with an 8-3 record.

Statistically Eli has been a better QB than Aikman as far as winning percentage, passer rating, TD/INT ratio but Aikman holds a slight edge in completion percentage.

I think what makes Eli's stats more impressive is that he did most of his winning on the road, against very high competition and has some moments that will go down in football lore as some of the greatest playoff/championship moments.

zimonami
05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Joe, Elway, Steve Young

Eli is better than a lot of great QBs of years past, but just not on that ridiculous of a top level.* Eli may even be HOF material when it is all said and done, but unless he wins another Super Bowl, we will still have to save that kind of question for someone else.

Montana is the best QB that I ever saw play.*

I would consider Bradshaw, Brady and Aikman as those following Montana's standard.*

The thing about Elway, is that he was one of my all time favorites to be sure, but he had some horrible Super Bowl games.* He completely chocked in his second and third tries at it.* I still remember watching his game against the 9ers, and he was so horrible in that.

A nice analysis, but you've got to get Fran off that list. He was in his 13th year before he even sniffed a playoff game, and the Vikings reached the playoffs in Fran's twilight years because of their Defense... not because of Fran. He was 7-6 in the playoffs, and lost 3 SB's.
In those SB's he was 45 for 100 and threw zero TDs.
He is the only QB on your list who never won a SB

JMFP2
05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Joe, Elway, Steve Young

I would rank Eli in that second class at least.

Montana's playoff stats are phenomenal, I just looked them up, but so are Eli's - so I think he has a shot to catch him.

I was surprised by how poor Elway's were, they were still way better than most, but compared to the rest of the elite QBs not that great.

Eli's postseason stats are currently
2516 yards 17 TDs 8 INTs 61.5 completion precentage 89.3 passer rating with an 8-3 record.

Statistically Eli has been a better QB than Aikman as far as winning percentage, passer rating, TD/INT ratio but Aikman holds a slight edge in completion percentage.

I think what makes Eli's stats more impressive is that he did most of his winning on the road, against very high competition and has some moments that will go down in football lore as some of the greatest playoff/championship moments.

</P>

That Panthers game seems like a million years ago.</P>

JMFP2
05-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Bart Starr.

He definitely crossed my mind, as did Otto Graham... but I don't have much respect for the days when the league was mostly segregated. I do appreciate their accomplishments and characters as athletes, but I have a hard time thinking that fans got to see the best of the best play. Much like my thoughts about baseball, anything prior to the 70s is hard to stomach for me. I would put Starr on that last group of QBs below Eli.

I guess that another factor about those teams in the stone age, is that players were completely subjected to the absolute control by the team owners. I am very grateful for free agency, and winning two championships today is way harder than it was for the Vince Lombardi Packers of the Mesozoic period.
</P>

Lombardi was ahead of his time when it came to racial integration.....I'm sure that's one of the reasons his teams dominated.</P>

http://voices.yahoo.com/vince-lombardi-his-philosophy-6170558.html</P>

Anyway, I'll stick by Starr as the best playoff QB in NFL history.</P>

If we change it to "modern era", then I'm going with Joe Montana.</P>

I think we can argue Eli Manning is the best playoff QB in the game today, though....the only other guys I can think of - Brady, Rodgers, Brees - all fell short this season. And Eli is 2-0 v. Brady's Patriots.</P>

</P>

zimonami
05-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Bart Starr.

He definitely crossed my mind, as did Otto Graham... but I don't have much respect for the days when the league was mostly segregated.* I do appreciate their accomplishments and characters as athletes, but I have a hard time thinking that fans got to see the best of the best play.* Much like my thoughts about baseball, anything prior to the 70s is hard to stomach for me.* I would put Starr on that last group of QBs below Eli.

I guess that another factor about those teams in the stone age, is that players were completely subjected to the absolute control by the team owners.* I am very grateful for free agency, and winning two championships today is way harder than it was for the Vince Lombardi Packers of the Mesozoic period.
</P>

Lombardi was ahead of his time when it came to racial integration.....I'm sure that's one of the reasons his teams dominated.</P>

I think we can argue Eli Manning is the best playoff QB in the game today, though....the only other guys I can think of - Brady, Rodgers, Brees - all fell short this season.* And Eli is 2-0 v. Brady's Patriots.</P>

*</P>
You're right about Lombardi, he only cared about your talent... but it was more that others were behind the times in integrating.
Jackie broke the barrier in '47. Baseball integrated far faster than basketball or football because hoops and football drafted from college players while baseball had mostly high school grads in minor league ball, There simply weren't the numbers of blacks playing division 1 ball until the late 60's. A big help was when the all black Texas Western team beat an all white Kentucky team for the NCAA hoops title in '66. Suddenly all the college recruiters were combing the basketball playgrounds in NY city, and Philly, etc.

Bohemian
05-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Bart Starr.

</p>

Lombardi was ahead of his time when it came to racial integration.....I'm sure that's one of the reasons his teams dominated.</p>

http://voices.yahoo.com/vince-lombardi-his-philosophy-6170558.html</p>

Anyway, I'll stick by Starr as the best playoff QB in NFL history.</p>

If we change it to "modern era", then I'm going with Joe Montana.</p>

I think we can argue Eli Manning is the best playoff QB in the game today, though....the only other guys I can think of - Brady, Rodgers, Brees - all fell short this season. And Eli is 2-0 v. Brady's Patriots.</p>

</p>

I definitely agree with giving praise to Lombardi's winning ethics, and his ability to overlook the racial barrier in contrast to the rest of the league. But I really think that the true credit goes to the AFL for pushing the envelope.

I hate beating on the old school teams, but it is so hard to overlook the fact that African American players did not truly get a shot until the 70s rolled around, and for that reason I can't take that ere too seriously. I love Lombardi, Starr and his packers, but I rather love the Iron Curtain and Bradshaw. Me and my dad have the same talk all the time about baseball. Being from a baseball nation, or 'beisbol' as we like to call it, he tells me about the negro league players that played outside of their home country just because of the colour of their skin. In countries like Cuba, Dominican Republic and Venezuela, we certainly became beneficiaries of having such amazing talent teach us the game. In fact, my father's baseball coach for most of his youth was a former negro leaguer. I love NFL history, but there are some things that can't be overlooked.

So at least we can agree: Joe Montana at #1 :)

Bohemian
05-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Joe, Elway, Steve Young

A nice analysis, but you've got to get Fran off that list. He was in his 13th year before he even sniffed a playoff game, and the Vikings reached the playoffs in Fran's twilight years because of their Defense... not because of Fran. He was 7-6 in the playoffs, and lost 3 SB's.
In those SB's he was 45 for 100 and threw zero TDs.
He is the only QB on your list who never won a SB

That is a good point about the Purple People Eaters, they were a dominant defense, but the record does show that Tarkenton more than complimented a great defense with great QB play. I think that we have to be careful when trying to criticize a QB' success due to the surrounding cast, because Montana had mad talent around him (on both sides of the ball). I think that we have to consider how impressive some of the teams that lost superbowls have been; by this I recall Kelly's run and gun Bills. Those were fantastic rosters led by one of my favorite all time coaches, but they always found a way to not show up, or at least be over-matched in the big game. I think that Tarkenton is a fantastic story whose impact reaches far beyond the stats book. But there is no denying that the Vikings had fantastic defenses. Then again, perhaps he does not belong in that list... I could have easily put Kurt Warner there... but I really don't like that a.hole (even if I agree with him about the whole concussion thing).

JMFP2
05-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Bart Starr.

</P>

I think we can argue Eli Manning is the best playoff QB in the game today, though....the only other guys I can think of - Brady, Rodgers, Brees - all fell short this season. And Eli is 2-0 v. Brady's Patriots.</P>

</P>

I definitely agree with giving praise to Lombardi's winning ethics, and his ability to overlook the racial barrier in contrast to the rest of the league. But I really think that the true credit goes to the AFL for pushing the envelope.

I hate beating on the old school teams, but it is so hard to overlook the fact that African American players did not truly get a shot until the 70s rolled around, and for that reason I can't take that ere too seriously. I love Lombardi, Starr and his packers, but I rather love the Iron Curtain and Bradshaw. Me and my dad have the same talk all the time about baseball. Being from a baseball nation, or 'beisbol' as we like to call it, he tells me about the negro league players that played outside of their home country just because of the colour of their skin. In countries like Cuba, Dominican Republic and Venezuela, we certainly became beneficiaries of having such amazing talent teach us the game. In fact, my father's baseball coach for most of his youth was a former negro leaguer. I love NFL history, but there are some things that can't be overlooked.

</P>

I agree.....minorities really got the shaft until well into the sixties.</P>

Interesting story from your Dad, by the way.</P>

Bohemian
05-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Bart Starr.

</p>

Lombardi was ahead of his time when it came to racial integration.....I'm sure that's one of the reasons his teams dominated.</p>

http://voices.yahoo.com/vince-lombardi-his-philosophy-6170558.html</p>

Anyway, I'll stick by Starr as the best playoff QB in NFL history.</p>

If we change it to "modern era", then I'm going with Joe Montana.</p>

I think we can argue Eli Manning is the best playoff QB in the game today, though....the only other guys I can think of - Brady, Rodgers, Brees - all fell short this season. And Eli is 2-0 v. Brady's Patriots.</p>

</p>

</p>

I agree.....minorities really got the shaft until well into the sixties.</p>

Interesting story from your Dad, by the way.</p>

No doubt. My dad is a crazy man with quite a life. He is the biggest baseball fan that I know, and he has stories about the old days that never end. He knows more about the negro leagues than any other person that I have ever met. My grandfather used to go to the stadium to watch them as well. My father is not a huge NFL fan, but he did pull for the Giants during the Super Bowl, so he is good to big blue. He is a University of Michigan fan, because my grand father taught there for a couple of years back in the day, so my dad remembered Manningham during the Super Bowl... I was surprised that he remembered to be honest. The man has a ridiculously good memory. He was my wikipedia before wikipedia.

miked1958
05-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Joe, Elway, Steve YoungI have to agree with you guys. However something has to be said for owning THE MOST ROAD Playoff wins in nfl history....

That includes joe, elway, young, staubach, Starr, Johnny U, Bradshaw and many others...

miked1958
05-09-2012, 12:27 AM
However the guys I mentioned above played on dominate teams and they prob didn't have to play a whole lot of Road playoff games to begin with. Lol

JJC7301
05-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Get a 3rd ring and it will be a fairer question. Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, Brady (Eli beat Brady twice, but Brady's been to 5 SB's and won 3 of them). Those 4 come to mind before Eli and that's NO knock against Eli.

But you make some great points -- his performance in the 2 SB runs were fantastic. I'd like to see him either win 1 more SB, or at least do some damage in some other playoff runs (of course I prefer the SB run).

FYI, I HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT ELI WILL GET AT LEAST A 3RD RING.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Nobody comes close to Joe Montana.

giantsfan420
05-09-2012, 01:54 AM
i think if you word it a little bit differently, the answer would be yes...but to a different question:

were eli's 2 SB playoff runs the highest level of QB play during a postseason run?

like I said, to that question, yes...without a doubt. thats not to say his playoff runs were better than guys like montana or any other qb who rivals him, its to say it is on that level of greatest performances.

eli has had some mediocre playoff perfomances, the philly game away, the philly game home, and the panthers game...granted theres different reasons in each of those performances, but i think thats what makes it fair to say eli isnt the best postseason qb of all time...yet...and i dont think its any secret i'm one of if not the biggest eli homer around these parts

if eli can have another postseason run like the two sb runs, then i'd say it would be fair to say he is the greatest of all time playoff qb...

SweetZombieJesus
05-09-2012, 03:51 AM
eli has had some mediocre playoff perfomances, the philly game away, the philly game home, and the panthers game...granted theres different reasons in each of those performances

It really is all or nothing. First round bounce or all the way, there is nothing in between.

giantsfan420
05-09-2012, 04:31 AM
eli has had some mediocre playoff perfomances, the philly game away, the philly game home, and the panthers game...granted theres different reasons in each of those performances

It really is all or nothing.* First round bounce or all the way, there is nothing in between.

yeah thats why i dont think we can call him greatest postseason qb of all time, but that we can call his two postseason SB runs the greatest qb play of all time in individual postseason runs...

if he wants to be the greatest postseason qb of all time, he'll either need another run, or to perform at his level and get some more postseason wins...

but it is nice to know he already holds some postseason records, and that its still relatively early in his career in that he could have another 8 seasons at this level or higher

Diamondring
05-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Joe, Elway, Steve Young

Eli is better than a lot of great QBs of years past, but just not on that ridiculous of a top level.* Eli may even be HOF material when it is all said and done, but unless he wins another Super Bowl, we will still have to save that kind of question for someone else.

Montana is the best QB that I ever saw play.*

I would consider Bradshaw, Brady and Aikman as those following Montana's standard.*

The thing about Elway, is that he was one of my all time favorites to be sure, but he had some horrible Super Bowl games.* He completely chocked in his second and third tries at it.* I still remember watching his game against the 9ers, and he was so horrible in that.
I hate him because he talk bad about the Giants but Steve Young is the best qb I have seen play. He can pass and even run for a td like he did against the Cards. If he didn't hurt himself, he could have done a lot of good things for the 49ers

SweetZombieJesus
05-09-2012, 08:51 AM
I hate him because he talk bad about the Giants but Steve Young is the best qb I have seen play. He can pass and even run for a td like he did against the Cards. If he didn't hurt himself, he could have done a lot of good things for the 49ers

I watched him play too, and not only did he play behind Montana he was contemporary to Aikman, young Favre, Jim Kelly and Elway.

All of whom are generally regarded as better than Young (people would argue against Aikman but he's got 3 rings and beat Young head-to-head) and all are certifiably more successful; I think it could be argued Favre and Elway were better QBs. Young had the scrambling dimension.

Yes, I hate Young, so I'll say that up front.

But let's remember the 49ers were 2nd fiddle to the Cowboys for years when Young finally got the big chair from Montana and only broke through once; then they yielded to Favre's Packers for several more years.

nygsb42champs
05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Lets wait until his career is over before we start those conversations.

GCGiant
05-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Take a moment and go back to...say...early Dec. of 2004. How many...and don't lie...wanted Eli gone?

I am not trying to start any crap, but I think it is funny when you consider that today we are asking the question as to whether he is the GOAT playoff QB.

To take it one step further, you can't help but smile a little when you realize that he is just now coming into his prime. Enjoy the next 5 years or so...I certainly will.

Morehead State
05-09-2012, 09:25 AM

Tied for 2nd with most Superbowl MVPs (2 - tied with Brady and Terry Bradshaw, only Joe Montana has more with 3)

That's pretty impressive, and I don't think he's done yet. My prediction is when it's all said and done, we'll be debating on if he was the greatest QB to ever take the field. The Giants did this franchise a huge favor making that trade for this guy.

</P>

He's not even in the discussion.</P>

Kruunch
05-09-2012, 09:29 AM

Eli has been successful in two post seasons. Past those (2007 and 2011) he hasn't won a post season game.

I think this post is about 5 years too soon.

Morehead State
05-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Eli has been successful in two post seasons. Past those (2007 and 2011) he hasn't won a post season game.

I think this post is about 5 years too soon.
</P>

This past playoff season was a great run by Eli and the team. Other than that his playoff performances have been mediocre at best. Plus he's only played 11 post season games, which is a very small sampling.</P>

If you extend his numbers in the playoffs for a 16 game schedule it comes out to:</P>

3664 yards, 24 TD's, 12 Int's.</P>

Definately respectable. But far from "All time great". Plus we just haven't scored a lot of points in those games. </P>

In the 11 playoff games that Eli has played, we've averaged slightly less than <U>19</U> points/game.</P>

Again....not terrible, but hardly great (or even very good)</P>

</P>

BUT!!! Eli has shown a couple of very clutch performances in the past two SB's. And that is a part of the consideration.</P>

</P>

Moss#83
05-09-2012, 10:26 AM
I think not only will Eli be the greatest playoff QB ever but i'll take it as far as him being the greatest QB ever when he retires.

NYG 5
05-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Game
1. F
2. C
3. B
4. B+
5. B+
6. A-
7. D
8. B
9. A-
10 A-
11. A-

it appears that he gets better as the Giants advance in the playoffs, but it most average in round .

also, an A performance would be some kind of effortless, record setting, Steve Young 6 touchdowns against the chargers performance.

Vtgmenfan89
05-09-2012, 10:51 AM
I'd put him in the top 5 at the moment, so much time left in his career. Joe with 4 super bowl wins has to be at the top...Brady is up there as well, didn't he win his first like 9 playoff games or something? I can't stand the guy but he's legit.

Eli has 5-6 years of solid play left that we'll be able to give official grades to later. As long as we get the O-line situation fixed and he doesn't get broken in half the next few years. With coaching this years picks could turn out good, but I would like to see us truly upgrade the position with a higher pick or in FA next year if they don't improve this season...we can't have a Peyton situation happen with Eli. Gotta keep him upright.

BigBlue1971
05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
i dont know if Eli is the greatest playoff qb ever but he certainly is in the conversation!</P>

what is impressive is the road warrior attitude with those 5 wins 7 counting the sb netural sites.</P>

his ability to "step up" in the 4th qtr is also noteworthy and should be a significant stat in deciding who the greatest qb is.</P>

Eli is just gonna get better and i suspect he will be mentioned among the greatest ever when hes done playing!</P>

with his confidence and knowledge of the offense he could win at least 2 more sbs for the Giants!</P>

Morehead State
05-09-2012, 11:54 AM
i dont know if Eli is the greatest playoff qb ever but he certainly is in the conversation!</P>

what is impressive is the road warrior attitude with those 5 wins 7 counting the sb netural sites.</P>

his ability to "step up" in the 4th qtr is also noteworthy and should be a significant stat in deciding who the greatest qb is.</P>

Eli is just gonna get better and i suspect he will be mentioned among the greatest ever when hes done playing!</P>

with his confidence and knowledge of the offense he could win at least 2 more sbs for the Giants!</P>

</P>

He's in the conversation for the top 10 playoff QB's. Maybe even top 5. But not #1. No way.</P>

BigBlue1971
05-09-2012, 12:03 PM

</P>

He's in the conversation for the top 10 playoff QB's. Maybe even top 5. But not #1. No way.</P>

</P>

</P>

at this point in his career and what he has accomplished i certainly think he is in the top 5 as the "greatest playoff qb ever!</P>

hes not #1 yet however if he win just 1 more sb withsimilar performances as 07/11 he makes a great case of attaining that #1 status imo!</P>

Morehead State
05-09-2012, 12:15 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

at this point in his career and what he has accomplished i certainly think he is in the top 5 as the "greatest playoff qb ever!</P>

hes not #1 yet however if he win just 1 more sb withsimilar performances as 07/11 he makes a great case of attaining that #1 status imo!</P>

</P>

Right now his playoff record is very similar to Jim Plunkett. Remember we are only talking about the playoffs. Plunkett and Eli both won 2 SB's. Plunkett's record is 8-2. Eli is 8-3.</P>

Now Tom Brady is 16-6 in the playoffs with 3 SB's and 2 other SB appearances. Joe Montana is off the charts. John Elway won 2 SB's and was in 5. Kurt Warner's playoff record is tremendous. His production is at an all time great level. Bart Starr won more championships than anyone. Terry Bradshaw won 4 SB's in 6 years. Even Ben has won 2 and appeared in another and is 10-4 in the playoffs. And had one of the greatest games I ever saw a QB have in SB 43.</P>

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.</P>

giantsfan420
05-09-2012, 12:58 PM
if bens sb 43 performance was one of the greatest of all time, what does that make elis sb 46 performance? he just didnt have the tds that ben had, everything else eli was more effective...damn holding play by boothe cost us a drive that coulda made my "eli will have one of the greatest sb performances of all time" come to fruition, even so, that was an amazing performance...

giantsfan420
05-09-2012, 12:59 PM
and MS, in the page before, i'd like to see ur response to the statement i made:

"i think if you word it a little bit differently, the answer would be yes...but to a different question:

were eli's 2 SB playoff runs the highest level of QB play during a postseason run?

like I said, to that question, yes...without a doubt. thats not to say his playoff runs were better than guys like montana or any other qb who rivals him, its to say it is on that level of greatest performances.

eli has had some mediocre playoff perfomances, the philly game away, the philly game home, and the panthers game...granted theres different reasons in each of those performances, but i think thats what makes it fair to say eli isnt the best postseason qb of all time...yet...and i dont think its any secret i'm one of if not the biggest eli homer around these parts

if eli can have another postseason run like the two sb runs, then i'd say it would be fair to say he is the greatest of all time playoff qb..."

jomo
05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Joe, Elway, Steve YoungElway? Now there's a knuckle curve!

SweetZombieJesus
05-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Take a moment and go back to...say...early Dec. of 2004. How many...and don't lie...wanted Eli gone?

Didn't want him gone, just wanted to see light at the end of the tunnel (which we did get when he beat Parcells' Cowboys in the final game I think it knocked them out of the playoffs).

Disappointed we didn't get greatness out of the box but come on he was brand new.

All I wanted was year to year improvement even if it meant a few years of growing pains.

Never could have imagined where we are today, and there's actually very little he can do to improve his game.

Like you I will enjoy the next 5-8 years.

nhpgiantsfan
05-09-2012, 01:39 PM
I think not only will Eli be the greatest playoff QB ever but i'll take it as far as him being the greatest QB ever when he retires.</P>

</P>

I will first say that, I have never typed a single post knocking Eli Manning. I have been behind him from the start. But you sir are crazy. </P>

B&RWarrior
05-09-2012, 02:22 PM

</P>

+1000000000000000000000
Finally a voice of reason.

titwio
05-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Yes Eli is the best because I'm a Giants fan and have been brainwashed.

yoeddy
05-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Game
1. F
2. C
3. B
4. B+
5. B+
6. A-
7. D
8. B
9. A-
10 A-
11. A-

it appears that he gets better as the Giants advance in the playoffs, but it most average in round .

also, an A performance would be some kind of effortless, record setting, Steve Young 6 touchdowns against the chargers performance.

Fwiw, Joe M was 7-4 in his first 11 playoff games...

giantsfan420
05-09-2012, 02:50 PM

</P>

+1000000000000000000000

Morehead State
05-09-2012, 03:13 PM
if bens sb 43 performance was one of the greatest of all time, what does that make elis sb 46 performance? he just didnt have the tds that ben had, everything else eli was more effective...damn holding play by boothe cost us a drive that coulda made my "eli will have one of the greatest sb performances of all time" come to fruition, even so, that was an amazing performance...</P>

Ben's performance was tremendous. He escaped so many times and made plays. It won the game for them. For Holmes to be the MVP of that SB was rediculous.</P>

As for Eli. I thought the entire playoff run in 07 was efficient. With obviously the one great play at the end. The run in 2011 was many notches higher. He made a lot of great plays that he wasn't yet able to make in 07.</P>

SB 46 was an outstanding performance as well. Not all time great but still outstanding. But Ben's in 2008 (2009 really) was just one of the greatest I had ever seen. Not by stats really. I have no idea what Ben's stats were. But by what I saw on the field.</P>

giantsfan420
05-09-2012, 04:08 PM
if bens sb 43 performance was one of the greatest of all time, what does that make elis sb 46 performance? he just didnt have the tds that ben had, everything else eli was more effective...damn holding play by boothe cost us a drive that coulda made my "eli will have one of the greatest sb performances of all time" come to fruition, even so, that was an amazing performance...</P>

Ben's performance was tremendous.* He escaped so many times and made plays.* It won the game for them.* For Holmes to be the MVP of that SB was rediculous.</P>

As for Eli.* I thought the entire playoff run in 07 was efficient.* With obviously the one great play at the end.* The run in 2011 was many notches higher.* He made a lot of great plays that he wasn't yet able to make in 07.</P>

SB 46 was an outstanding performance as well.* Not all time great but still outstanding.* But Ben's in 2008 (2009 really) was just one of the greatest I had ever seen.* Not by stats really.** I have no idea what Ben's stats were.* But by what I saw on the field.</P>

elis playoff performance in 2007 was just as good as the 2011 performance imo, maybe one notch below...that gb game was epic, as was his performance vs dallas, and the 4th vs NE in sb 42...the sb run in 2011 was perhaps more dominant, but on the same level as the 07 performance

jomo
05-09-2012, 04:30 PM
I love Eli and he has earned his way into the discussion. That said, numbers can be misleading since this is a team game. Road victories, for example, are a function of great teams peaking late, not just his excellent play. Some of the greats never even played that many road games because their teams were so strong. At this stage, there are probably 2 or 3 ahead of him and he's in the next group of 3-5 quarterbacks. He's in his prime and still capable of moving up. Go Giants!!

chasjay
05-09-2012, 04:33 PM

</p>

He's not even in the discussion.</p>

+1000000000000000000000

Too many zeroes to be associated with reason. And MS later said he Eli would be in the conversation for Top 10, maybe even Top 5. So, I guess he is in the discussion after all.

This Homer will flatly state that at the present time, Eli is certainly not the greatest playoff QB ever. But I certainly don't see it as a given that he will never be. And Eli can't reach that goal alone - it will require an all-around good team around him - just as it did for Montana or Young or Elway or Aikman or Bradshaw, etc. - especially, Aikman and Bradshaw, IMHO.

Morehead State
05-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Ben's performance was tremendous. He escaped so many times and made plays. It won the game for them. For Holmes to be the MVP of that SB was rediculous.</P>

As for Eli. I thought the entire playoff run in 07 was efficient. With obviously the one great play at the end. The run in 2011 was many notches higher. He made a lot of great plays that he wasn't yet able to make in 07.</P>

SB 46 was an outstanding performance as well. Not all time great but still outstanding. But Ben's in 2008 (2009 really) was just one of the greatest I had ever seen. Not by stats really. I have no idea what Ben's stats were. But by what I saw on the field.</P>

elis playoff performance in 2007 was just as good as the 2011 performance imo, maybe one notch below...that gb game was epic, as was his performance vs dallas, and the 4th vs NE in sb 42...the sb run in 2011 was perhaps more dominant, but on the same level as the 07 performance</P>

Disagree, Eli is a much more complete player now. He manged the games in 07 and didn't turn it over. In 2011 he made a lot of plays. We were a much more dynamicoffense this season than in 07.</P>

I would say that the personell around Eli was about the same. The difference was Eli's play.</P>

Our O line was actually much worse in 2011. Along with the running game.</P>

Our offense struggled against Dallas and NE. We stunk vs. Tampa until the 2nd quarter and still didn't move the ball that well. Against GB, it was a matter of Plaxico owning Al Harris. Even after the pick in OT we couldn't get a first down.</P>

No sir...Eli 2011 is a much better football player than Eli 07. And his performance in the playoffs demonstrated that.</P>

Morehead State
05-09-2012, 04:37 PM

</P>

+1000000000000000000000 Finally a voice of reason.

Too many zeroes to be associated with reason. And MS later said he Eli would be in the conversation for Top 10, maybe even Top 5. So, I guess he is in the discussion after all.

This Homer will flatly state that at the present time, Eli is certainly not the greatest playoff QB ever. But I certainly don't see it as a given that he will never be. And Eli can't reach that goal alone - it will require an all-around good team around him - just as it did for Montana or Young or Elway or Aikman or Bradshaw, etc. - especially, Aikman and Bradshaw, IMHO.

</P>

The question was whether or not Eli was "The greatest playoff QB of all time". For that he is NOT in the discussion.</P>

As I said, if the discussion was top 10 or even top 5, he is in that conversation.</P>

chasjay
05-09-2012, 04:50 PM

</p>

He's not even in the discussion.</p>

</p>

The question was whether or not Eli was "The greatest playoff QB of all time". For that he is NOT in the discussion.</p>

As I said, if the discussion was top 10 or even top 5, he is in that conversation.</p>

I come to the GMB for education. And I've just learned (and you should be pleased to know) that B&amp;R Warrior agrees with you to the tune of one sextillion. I agree with you that Eli is not yet the greatest playoff QB ever, but not to the sextillionth degree. [:)]

Morehead State
05-09-2012, 04:57 PM

</P>

</P>

The question was whether or not Eli was "The greatest playoff QB of all time". For that he is NOT in the discussion.</P>

As I said, if the discussion was top 10 or even top 5, he is in that conversation.</P>

I come to the GMB for education. And I've just learned (and you should be pleased to know) that B&amp;R Warrior agrees with you to the tune of one sextillion. I agree with you that Eli is not yet the greatest playoff QB ever, but not to the sextillionth degree. [:)]
</P>

It did seem a tad "over-enthusiastic".</P>

</P>

BTW...If you come to the GMB for an education, you are setting the bar<U> way</U> too high.</P>

yoeddy
05-09-2012, 05:04 PM

Ben's performance was tremendous.* He escaped so many times and made plays.* It won the game for them.* For Holmes to be the MVP of that SB was rediculous.</P>

As for Eli.* I thought the entire playoff run in 07 was efficient.* With obviously the one great play at the end.* The run in 2011 was many notches higher.* He made a lot of great plays that he wasn't yet able to make in 07.</P>

SB 46 was an outstanding performance as well.* Not all time great but still outstanding.* But Ben's in 2008 (2009 really) was just one of the greatest I had ever seen.* Not by stats really.** I have no idea what Ben's stats were.* But by what I saw on the field.</P>

elis playoff performance in 2007 was just as good as the 2011 performance imo, maybe one notch below...that gb game was epic, as was his performance vs dallas, and the 4th vs NE in sb 42...the sb run in 2011 was perhaps more dominant, but on the same level as the 07 performance

I think his performance against SF in the NFC Championship game was his best playoff performance of his career....

zimonami
05-09-2012, 05:11 PM
A year ago this thread would be a joke.
What a difference a year makes.
Eli went from garbage in many peoples books to top 5-10 playoff QB's of all time.
But, as many have pointed out... let's see where Eli stands when the book is closed on his career, and not try to pigeon hole his performances to date.

All I care about knowing right now is that we have a QB that can help win games, and when we are in the playoffs we have a very good and mature QB leading our team who has proven he can take the pressure of the biggest games.

byron
05-09-2012, 06:03 PM
A year ago this thread would be a joke. What a difference a year makes. Eli went from garbage in many peoples books to top 5-10 playoff QB's of all time. But, as many have pointed out... let's see where Eli stands when the book is closed on his career, and not try to pigeon hole his performances to date. All I care about knowing right now is that we have a QB that can help win games, and when we are in the playoffs we have a very good and mature QB leading our team who has proven he can take the pressure of the biggest games. I'm with you Zim I'll let history tell the story also and enjoy what we get along the way ... this discussion seems civil compared to last years Eli threads...

giantsfan420
05-09-2012, 06:10 PM

elis playoff performance in 2007 was just as good as the 2011 performance imo, maybe one notch below...that gb game was epic, as was his performance vs dallas, and the 4th vs NE in sb 42...the sb run in 2011 was perhaps more dominant, but on the same level as the 07 performance</P>

Disagree,* Eli is a much more complete player now.* He manged the games in 07 and didn't turn it over.* In 2011 he made a lot of plays.* We were a much more dynamic*offense this season than in 07.</P>

I would say that the personell around Eli was about the same.* The difference was Eli's play.</P>

Our O line was actually much worse in 2011.* Along with the running game.</P>

Our offense struggled against Dallas and NE.* We stunk vs. Tampa until the 2nd quarter and still didn't move the ball that well.* Against GB, it was a matter of Plaxico owning Al Harris.* Even after the pick in OT we couldn't get a first down.</P>

No sir...Eli 2011 is a much better football player than Eli 07.* And his performance in the playoffs demonstrated that.</P>

hey, thats ur opinion and ur entitled to it. i know the 11 performance was better, but the 07 performance was right on the same line. TB, Dallas, GB, and NE fielded i believe 4 of the top 10 defenses that season. TB was the wrost team record wise and i believe they got to 11, dallas and gb were 13-3 and NE was 16-0...and i def. wouldnt say eli just managed those games...he made tons of plays in each of those games...the dallas game the 2 min drill before half that we desperately needed,gb he was lights out in the coldest game in history i believe at the GB stadium where they only lost 1 game at home in the PO all time, TB he struggled the 1rst quarter but was lights out the rest of the way, dont forget ronde saying "he could be had"...

before this last performance, i dont think i heard anyone say anything but eli's 07 perofrmance was legendary...but its awesome to be in a situation to where we can have this debate and that people can somehow think the 07 performance was as a game manager bc of the 11 performance he just blessed us with...

his play in 07 WAS in line with his play last season/postseason but i dont think anyone can argue eli was a more complete player

FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts
05-09-2012, 06:13 PM
If we're being fair I have to agree at this point Montana is hands down better than Eli.

I don't really think it's fair to compare Bart Starr to the modern QBs just because of how much the game has changed, even in the past 10-20 years the game has become much different.

Other than that, I think there is a very strong case to rank Eli anywhere from 2-10. A lot of the guys mentioned were great, Aikman, Bradshaw etc. but I honestly don't think Big Ben belongs in the discussion. Eli was a huge part of the G-men's championships, probably the biggest component with only the D-line being in competition, but the Steelers won in spite of Big Ben especially in that first championship run.