PDA

View Full Version : The new tollifson?

Tiki4aTD
05-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Currently the only potential replacement for the 4th de would me Justin trattuo (forgive me i dont know how to spell it) and Craig marshal, I don't remember any of these guys making flashes last year in preseason although trattuo was call up from the practice squad last year and got some game time on special teams.

But if we end up trading osi like a lot on this board want to do ( I think we should too) you need that other pass rusher. Kiwi would make three but do you use a dt for that rotation like a Marvin Austin? Or does anyone think we will pick up another de in free agency or is the team high enough on trattuo?

Tiki4aTD
05-08-2012, 07:59 PM
I forgot to add Adrian Tracy and Clint sintim although the latter I don't think makes the team after his injury

nycisgreat
05-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Currently the only potential replacement for the 4th de would me Justin trattuo (forgive me i dont know how to spell it) and Craig marshal, I don't remember any of these guys making flashes last year in preseason although trattuo was call up from the practice squad last year and got some game time on special teams.

But if we end up trading osi like a lot on this board want to do ( I think we should too) you need that other pass rusher. Kiwi would make three but do you use a dt for that rotation like a Marvin Austin? Or does anyone think we will pick up another de in free agency or is the team high enough on trattuo?

Osi isn't going anywhere. The team will work things out with him.

GiantSteps13
05-08-2012, 09:55 PM

I agree about justin he showed he could play alittle bit in the beginning of the season when Osi was out. I think with the reps he could become a solid DE.

Mercury
05-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Don't forget Canty can play some DE too.

ryan12
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Love trattou

BigBlue1971
05-09-2012, 02:35 PM
whomever takes Tolleys place on the team i hope they can bring his "fire and desire". </P>

Tolley had some big plays for the G-Men. </P>

Snappinnecks
05-09-2012, 03:10 PM
This guys looks like a Tollefson type player:

Louisiana Tech DE Matt Broha (http://www.tractioncse.com/news/traction-athlete-matthew-broha-shines-at-la-techs-pro-day.)

Morehead State
05-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Currently the only potential replacement for the 4th de would me Justin trattuo (forgive me i dont know how to spell it) and Craig marshal, I don't remember any of these guys making flashes last year in preseason although trattuo was call up from the practice squad last year and got some game time on special teams. But if we end up trading osi like a lot on this board want to do ( I think we should too) you need that other pass rusher. Kiwi would make three but do you use a dt for that rotation like a Marvin Austin? Or does anyone think we will pick up another de in free agency or is the team high enough on trattuo?

</P>

The only "working it out" that will be done with Osi is to get him to actually play and play hard this year. And that will be a challenge.</P>

He is gone after 2012.</P>

paul007
05-09-2012, 06:59 PM
7th round draft pick Kuhn (possible 5th DT) may also be a utility type D lineman that can possibly play DE?

radar-ray
05-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Currently the only potential replacement for the 4th de would me Justin trattuo (forgive me i dont know how to spell it) and Craig marshal, I don't remember any of these guys making flashes last year in preseason although trattuo was call up from the practice squad last year and got some game time on special teams. But if we end up trading osi like a lot on this board want to do ( I think we should too) you need that other pass rusher. Kiwi would make three but do you use a dt for that rotation like a Marvin Austin? Or does anyone think we will pick up another de in free agency or is the team high enough on trattuo?

</P>

The only "working it out" that will be done with Osi is to get him to actually play and play hard this year. And that will be a challenge.</P>

He is gone after 2012.</P> Right, he's not going to play hard so that he lowers his value in a contract year, so that he'll get less money when he signs a new contract with whomever next season!Give me a break. I know you don't like Osi, but no one in their right mind would lower their value intentionally, whenthey're not happy with the moneythey're currently getting.

RoanokeFan
05-09-2012, 07:49 PM

</p>

The only "working it out" that will be done with Osi is to get him to actually play and play hard this year. And that will be a challenge.</p>

He is gone after 2012.</p> Right, he's not going to play hard so that he lowers his value in a contract year, so that he'll get less money when he signs a new contract with whomever next season!Give me a break. I know you don't like Osi, but no one in their right mind would lower their value intentionally, whenthey're not happy with the moneythey're currently getting.

What you say is true, yet Osi has not ruled out a hold out this season. I'm guessing should he take that option it would be seen as intentionally lowering his value.

B-Red22
05-09-2012, 08:45 PM
7th round draft pick Kuhn (possible 5th DT) may also be a utility type D lineman that can possibly play DE?

Have you seen him? He is NOT DE

NY_Eli
05-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Have you seen him? He is NOT DE

He played some DE in college

Morehead State
05-10-2012, 09:05 AM

</P>

Right, he's not going to play hard so that he lowers his value in a contract year, so that he'll get less money when he signs a new contract with whomever next season!Give me a break. I know you don't like Osi, but no one in their right mind would lower their value intentionally, whenthey're not happy with the moneythey're currently getting.</P>

Osi does not want to play for us this coming season. He sees that as his worst option. He will do everything to force a trade. Playing for us as a back up again would be (in his mind) very bad for his career. Risking injury, being one year older in a young man's game, and not even being a starter on his own team does NOT help his chances for a big contract.</P>

In my opinion of course.</P>

LT_was_good
05-10-2012, 10:10 AM

</p>

The only "working it out" that will be done with Osi is to get him to actually play and play hard this year. And that will be a challenge.</p>

He is gone after 2012.</p>

Right, he's not going to play hard so that he lowers his value in a contract year, so that he'll get less money when he signs a new contract with whomever next season!Give me a break. I know you don't like Osi, but no one in their right mind would lower their value intentionally, whenthey're not happy with the moneythey're currently getting.</p>

Osi does not want to play for us this coming season. He sees that as his worst option. He will do everything to force a trade. Playing for us as a back up again would be (in his mind) very bad for his career. Risking injury, being one year older in a young man's game, and not even being a starter on his own team does NOT help his chances for a big contract.</p>

In my opinion of course.</p>

Higher risk and higher potential reward. The way NFL contracts are structured (mostly not guaranteed) and with short careers, most players are looking for the most guaranteed money possible. So obviously a trade with an extension is Osi's best option; however, IF he managed to stay mostly healthy and has another huge year, it would maximize his value. Problem is, of course, it's unlikely that next off-season he'll be as healthy as he is now AND coming off a season in which he averaged about a sack a game for the Super Bowl champions. And as you pointed out, he'll be a year older.

The thing is, if Reese holds firm, eventually wouldn't Osi's only option for maximizing his payoff be to play hard? Or do you think he'd rather take a safer route, sabotage his own value to stay healthy, and hope for a nice contract anyway (which would be unlikely)? Once the possibility of a trade is gone, do you think Osi would have some sort of season-ending "injury" or figure some other way to hold-out-without-really-holding-out so his contract expires? He would then not only be a year older, but would have completely ruined his value on the market. I think he's better off as a 31 or 32 year-old elite pass rusher coming off a monster season.

Morehead State
05-10-2012, 11:47 AM

</P>

Right, he's not going to play hard so that he lowers his value in a contract year, so that he'll get less money when he signs a new contract with whomever next season!Give me a break. I know you don't like Osi, but no one in their right mind would lower their value intentionally, whenthey're not happy with the moneythey're currently getting.</P>

Osi does not want to play for us this coming season. He sees that as his worst option. He will do everything to force a trade. Playing for us as a back up again would be (in his mind) very bad for his career. Risking injury, being one year older in a young man's game, and not even being a starter on his own team does NOT help his chances for a big contract.</P>

Higher risk and higher potential reward. The way NFL contracts are structured (mostly not guaranteed) and with short careers, most players are looking for the most guaranteed money possible. So obviously a trade with an extension is Osi's best option; however, IF he managed to stay mostly healthy and has another huge year, it would maximize his value. Problem is, of course, it's unlikely that next off-season he'll be as healthy as he is now AND coming off a season in which he averaged about a sack a game for the Super Bowl champions. And as you pointed out, he'll be a year older.

The thing is, if Reese holds firm, eventually wouldn't Osi's only option for maximizing his payoff be to play hard? Or do you think he'd rather take a safer route, sabotage his own value to stay healthy, and hope for a nice contract anyway (which would be unlikely)? Once the possibility of a trade is gone, do you think Osi would have some sort of season-ending "injury" or figure some other way to hold-out-without-really-holding-out so his contract expires? He would then not only be a year older, but would have completely ruined his value on the market. I think he's better off as a 31 or 32 year-old elite pass rusher coming off a monster season.
</P>

Osi is human. He would be filled with resentment for the Giants and his heart wouldn't be in it. That extra 5 or 10% wouldn't be there.</P>

Or he could hold out. Either way, his worst case scenario is playing out his last year as a situational player for us and his effort would show.</P>

logan9839
05-10-2012, 12:27 PM
One option could be Canty, he was (though in a 3-4) the DE for Dallas, and we do get Austin back.

BeatYale
05-10-2012, 08:56 PM

</P>

The only "working it out" that will be done with Osi is to get him to actually play and play hard this year.* And that will be a challenge.</P>

Right, he's not going to play hard so that he lowers his value in a contract year, so that he'll get less money when he signs a new contract with whomever next season!*Give me a break. I know you don't like Osi, but no one in their right mind would lower their value intentionally, when*they're not happy with the money*they're currently getting.</P>

Osi does not want to play for us this coming season.* He sees that as his worst option.* He will do everything to force a trade.* Playing for us as a back up again would be (in his mind) very bad for his career.* Risking injury, being one year older in a young man's game, and not even being a starter on his own team does NOT help his chances for a big contract.</P>

This makes sense to some extent. Less time on the field translates to less chances for sacks which translates to a lesser contract in free agency.

However, most teams probably understand that even their starting DE's wouldn't be starters on the Giants roster. Good pass rushers are so hard to find. There will be multiple teams bidding for his services, which is a great situation for any player in free agency. Last year he had 9 sacks in 9 games, and it's likely that he'll be able to generate more than 10 sacks this year even as a backup as long as he stays healthy.

The Giants might actually be his best shot at a big pay day from another team next year. He knows what kind of production he's capable of here, but he has no idea what it will be like on another team that will have lesser talent around him on the DLine.

radar-ray
05-11-2012, 12:10 AM

</P>

In my opinion of course.</P> This makes sense to some extent. Less time on the field translates to less chances for sacks which translates to a lesser contract in free agency. However, most teams probably understand that even their starting DE's wouldn't be starters on the Giants roster. Good pass rushers are so hard to find. There will be multiple teams bidding for his services, which is a great situation for any player in free agency. Last year he had 9 sacks in 9 games, and it's likely that he'll be able to generate more than 10 sacks this year even as a backup as long as he stays healthy. The Giants might actually be his best shot at a big pay day from another team next year. He knows what kind of production he's capable of here, but he has no idea what it will be like on another team that will have lesser talent around him on the DLine.Barring Osi not being traded, he will play his butt off, when he plays, inorder to maximize his value next year.

radar-ray
05-11-2012, 12:10 AM

</P>

In my opinion of course.</P> This makes sense to some extent. Less time on the field translates to less chances for sacks which translates to a lesser contract in free agency. However, most teams probably understand that even their starting DE's wouldn't be starters on the Giants roster. Good pass rushers are so hard to find. There will be multiple teams bidding for his services, which is a great situation for any player in free agency. Last year he had 9 sacks in 9 games, and it's likely that he'll be able to generate more than 10 sacks this year even as a backup as long as he stays healthy. The Giants might actually be his best shot at a big pay day from another team next year. He knows what kind of production he's capable of here, but he has no idea what it will be like on another team that will have lesser talent around him on the DLine.Barring Osi not being traded, he will play his butt off, when he plays, inorder to maximize his value next year.

river555
05-12-2012, 01:48 PM
I think Matt Broha has a pretty good chance at being the #4 DE. Right now #4 is Trattou who by no means has the spot secured. Broha can beat him out especially when you consider Broha is more a of a pure pass rusher than Trattou