PDA

View Full Version : Did Mara unfairly target NFCE teams?

redbeardxxv
05-09-2012, 05:27 PM
With the "Uncapped" year crap, did Mara unfairly target the Skins and 'Boys because they were in the East? The Bears apparently did a similar thing with Peppers' contract, and nothing was said.... Maybe I'm not understanding something.
Does anyone know the full story? Care to Share? If Mara did bust only the NFCE teams, it seems like a shady move, and it makes me ashamed to have this associated with our team...

BlueSanta
05-09-2012, 05:38 PM
I dont think Mara has much to do with it really, he is just 1 owner. The league warned teams prior to the uncapped year against doing exactly what those teams did.

Its no secret Snyder and Jones are 2 of the biggest opponents to the salary cap and revenue sharing. If they had their way the NFL would be like major league baseball where the major market teams would have, in some cases, 10x the salary of a small market team.

njersey
05-09-2012, 05:54 PM
With the "Uncapped" year crap, did Mara unfairly target the Skins and 'Boys because they were in the East? The Bears apparently did a similar thing with Peppers' contract, and nothing was said.... Maybe I'm not understanding something.
Does anyone know the full story? Care to Share? If Mara did bust only the NFCE teams, it seems like a shady move, and it makes me ashamed to have this associated with our team...

Please go away.

jomo
05-09-2012, 06:21 PM
With the "Uncapped" year crap, did Mara unfairly target the Skins and 'Boys because they were in the East? The Bears apparently did a similar thing with Peppers' contract, and nothing was said.... Maybe I'm not understanding something. Does anyone know the full story? Care to Share? If Mara did bust only the NFCE teams, it seems like a shady move, and it makes me ashamed to have this associated with our team...lol you have a low threshold for being ashamed.

RoanokeFan
05-09-2012, 06:35 PM

John Mara is the Chairman of a committee of owners whose investigation resulted in the the Redskins and Cowboys being disciplined. The committee report was voted on by all of the owners. That vote was 29 - 0 in favor of imposing the discipline (The Redskins and Cowboys did not vote and there was one abstention which was probably the other team that was cited but not disciplined).

Why would you be ashamed of an internal process that allows for an appeal, which is underway?

jomo
05-09-2012, 06:39 PM
With the "Uncapped" year crap, did Mara unfairly target the Skins and 'Boys because they were in the East? The Bears apparently did a similar thing with Peppers' contract, and nothing was said.... Maybe I'm not understanding something. Does anyone know the full story? Care to Share? If Mara did bust only the NFCE teams, it seems like a shady move, and it makes me ashamed to have this associated with our team...

John Mara is the Chairman of a committee of owners who's investigation resulted in the the Redskins and Cowboys being disciplined. The committee report was voted on by all of the owners. That vote was 29 - 0 in favor of imposing the discipline (The Redskins and Cowboys did not vote and there was one abstention which was probably the other team that was cited but not disciplined).

Why would you be ashamed of an internal process that allows for an appeal, which is underway?
You think facts are going to have any impact here? [;)]

RoanokeFan
05-09-2012, 06:40 PM
With the "Uncapped" year crap, did Mara unfairly target the Skins and 'Boys because they were in the East? The Bears apparently did a similar thing with Peppers' contract, and nothing was said.... Maybe I'm not understanding something. Does anyone know the full story? Care to Share? If Mara did bust only the NFCE teams, it seems like a shady move, and it makes me ashamed to have this associated with our team...

John Mara is the Chairman of a committee of owners whose investigation resulted in the the Redskins and Cowboys being disciplined. The committee report was voted on by all of the owners. That vote was 29 - 0 in favor of imposing the discipline (The Redskins and Cowboys did not vote and there was one abstention which was probably the other team that was cited but not disciplined).

I lost my head [;)]

jomo
05-09-2012, 06:46 PM

I lost my head [;)]
Who among us hasn't had a weak moment?

redbeardxxv
05-09-2012, 06:50 PM
For those of you*eh hem* with nothing to add, please, stay off my thread. In other words, Go away. I posted to ask a question, based on an article I read that seemed to imply that Mara had a heavy hand in the discipline of these teams, and it was hinted by the author, and echoed in the comments from fans that Mara had an obvious conflict of interest. If indeed something of that nature occurred, yes, it would be a shameful abuse of position.
Unfortunately, I did not have all of the facts involved. I figured those of you on the board that knew something about it could share their knowledge. The knuckle dragging lowlife's that feel the need to drop comments like prepubescent jackasses, please, take this opportunity to run to the store for some Oxy Pads. For the rest of you, fill me in on what I missed. Thanks.

Mod_C
05-09-2012, 06:57 PM
For those of you*eh hem* with nothing to add, please, stay off my thread. In other words, Go away. I posted to ask a question, based on an article I read that seemed to imply that Mara had a heavy hand in the discipline of these teams, and it was hinted by the author, and echoed in the comments from fans that Mara had an obvious conflict of interest. If indeed something of that nature occurred, yes, it would be a shameful abuse of position.
Unfortunately, I did not have all of the facts involved. I figured those of you on the board that knew something about it could share their knowledge. <font color="#0000FF">The knuckle dragging lowlife's that feel the need to drop comments like prepubescent jackasses,</font> <font color="#0000FF">please, take this opportunity to run to the store for some Oxy Pads</font>. For the rest of you, fill me in on what I missed. Thanks.

When you ask for opinions here, that's what you are going to get. Good, bad, indifferent, etc. You can simply ignore the types of opinions that you don't care for; no need to go on the offensive.

Roosevelt
05-09-2012, 07:07 PM

I just read as "an example of the salary dump: in 2010, the Cowboys paid receiver Miles
Austin $17 million in salary, which means all of it counted in 2010 and
none was prorated over subsequent years, when the salary cap returned
after the new labor agreement was reached last summer".

I didn't find any information to support your claim that the Bears did something similar with Peppers. In fact in 2011 they restructured his contract which supposedly saved them $8 million that year.

So what are we missing?

redbeardxxv
05-09-2012, 07:16 PM

I just read as "an example of the salary dump: in 2010, the Cowboys paid receiver Miles

I didn't find any information to support your claim that the Bears did something similar with Peppers.* In fact in 2011 they restructured his contract which supposedly saved them $8 million that year.

So what are we missing?*

I cannot find the article in question, nor could I find any specific information on what the Cowboys/Skins did wrong. This helps me understand it a little better, Thanks. I figured someone would have the information. As far as the Bears, they were mentioned as having been guilty of a similar offense with Julius Peppers. I had no details on that either, again, the reason I came here. Some of you guys are a wealth of information and an excellent resource. Thanks again.

jhamburg
05-09-2012, 07:20 PM

How many ex-giants are on the redskins right now? lol

n420p69
05-09-2012, 07:59 PM
No because every other owner but I think the Bengals voted for this as well. So when the Cowboys and Skins fans cry about it tell them to eff themselves. On second thought you should tell them that anyway for zero reason.

giantyankee1976
05-09-2012, 10:23 PM

I wouldn't be ashamed if true.

who cares? F the skins and boys.

egyptian420
05-10-2012, 12:50 AM

I agree. If you own a business and your competitor is breaking the law to get an unfair advantage, you're going to take them down....I don't care who you are.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-10-2012, 12:56 AM

John Mara is the Chairman of a committee of owners whose investigation resulted in the the Redskins and Cowboys being disciplined.* The committee report was voted on by all of the owners.* That vote was 29 - 0 in favor of imposing the discipline (The Redskins and Cowboys did not vote and there was one abstention which was probably the other team that was cited but not disciplined).

who cares? F the skins and boys.*

I agree. competitive advantage. If it's true, he just took advantage of a great situation. Screw the ***les, foreskins, and cowterds.

RagTime Blue
05-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Those guys have a lot of "non-football" money. Something the Giants' ownership does not have.

BeatYale
05-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately, I did not have all of the facts involved. I figured those of you on the board that knew something about it could share their knowledge. The knuckle dragging lowlife's that feel the need to drop comments like prepubescent jackasses, please, take this opportunity to run to the store for some Oxy Pads. For the rest of you, fill me in on what I missed. Thanks.

It happened a while ago bro. If you read it in a recent article then the author must be a moron because there's plenty of other things to write about this week besides an old dead topic like this one.

Yes, Cowboys and Redskins fans ranted that they felt Mara was abusing his power and unfairly targeting them even though the 29 other teams in the league all voted in favor of Mara. They didn't care that their teams violated the rules, they were more butt hurt that they got caught doing it.

Ntegrase96
05-10-2012, 09:05 PM
It's debatable. I'll chime in one more time since it is under arbitration and we'll see what happens. And I'll leave my opinion out of it as well.

1. The Cowboys and Redskins were penalized for frontloading contracts in 2010, despite the fact that they all contracts were league approved in 2010 and there were no rules in place at the time against any type of spending whatsoever. So basically they were retroactively punished for not breaking any rules except for a supposed 'gentleman's agreement' amongst owners that was supposed to protect the competitive balance of the league.

2. John Mara is head of the committee that held sanctions against both teams, as well as the Saints and Raiders-- the punishments were just more harsh for the Cowboys and Redskins who were deemed to have violated the spirit of competitive balance most egregiously.

3. In order for the team's salary caps to be docked, the competition committee had to have the NFL Player's Association sign off on the actions taken, which they did because DeMaurice Smith was backed into a corner-- Long story short, the league wide salary cap would have probably been closer to 113 million this year rather than 120 million without docking the Redskins and Cowboys salary caps and distributing it amongst other teams, so Smith signed off on it in the short term interest of the Players union.

4. Jones and Snyder brought the issue up during an owners meeting, then the 29 owners voted in favor of the cap docks... because, well why wouldn't they? It was after the free agency period, and voting against it would be voting to give back the however many million dollars in cap space back (was it 1.2? I can't remember).

Just a couple of points regarding the issue. Julius Peppers' contract wasn't as frontloaded as initially reported... or something like that. But there were in fact other teams that front loaded contracts. In fact, Nick Collins (who was just released) pretty much received the same percentage of his total contract in 2010 as Miles Austin did. And of course there are other cases, but I can agree that the Cowboys and Redskins probably took the most advantage of the uncapped year.

Roosevelt
05-10-2012, 09:21 PM
It's debatable. I'll chime in one more time since it is under arbitration and we'll see what happens. And I'll leave my opinion out of it as well.

1. The Cowboys and Redskins were penalized for frontloading contracts in 2010, despite the fact that they all contracts were league approved in 2010 and there were no rules in place at the time against any type of spending whatsoever. So basically they were retroactively punished for not breaking any rules except for a supposed 'gentleman's agreement' amongst owners that was supposed to protect the competitive balance of the league.

2. John Mara is head of the committee that held sanctions against both teams, as well as the Saints and Raiders-- the punishments were just more harsh for the Cowboys and Redskins who were deemed to have violated the spirit of competitive balance most egregiously.

3. In order for the team's salary caps to be docked, the competition committee had to have the NFL Player's Association sign off on the actions taken, which they did because DeMaurice Smith was backed into a corner-- Long story short, the league wide salary cap would have probably been closer to 113 million this year rather than 120 million without docking the Redskins and Cowboys salary caps and distributing it amongst other teams, so Smith signed off on it in the short term interest of the Players union.

4. Jones and Snyder brought the issue up during an owners meeting, then the 29 owners voted in favor of the cap docks... because, well why wouldn't they? It was after the free agency period, and voting against it would be voting to give back the however many million dollars in cap space back (was it 1.2? I can't remember).

Just a couple of points regarding the issue. Julius Peppers' contract wasn't as frontloaded as initially reported... or something like that. But there were in fact other teams that front loaded contracts. In fact, Nick Collins (who was just released) pretty much received the same percentage of his total contract in 2010 as Miles Austin did. And of course there are other cases, but I can agree that the Cowboys and Redskins probably took the most advantage of the uncapped year.

1.6 I think.

TheBookOfEli
05-11-2012, 02:55 AM

John Mara is the Chairman of a committee of owners whose investigation resulted in the the Redskins and Cowboys being disciplined.* The committee report was voted on by all of the owners.* That vote was 29 - 0 in favor of imposing the discipline (The Redskins and Cowboys did not vote and there was one abstention which was probably the other team that was cited but not disciplined).

Try telling that to the extremeskins.com fans.

Morehead State
05-11-2012, 08:50 AM
With the "Uncapped" year crap, did Mara unfairly target the Skins and 'Boys because they were in the East? The Bears apparently did a similar thing with Peppers' contract, and nothing was said.... Maybe I'm not understanding something. Does anyone know the full story? Care to Share? If Mara did bust only the NFCE teams, it seems like a shady move, and it makes me ashamed to have this associated with our team...</P>

I must have missed the news story where John Mara was elected King of the NFL!</P>

yoeddy
05-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Which other teams should he have targeted?

Giant stuck in Texas
05-11-2012, 10:20 AM

I agree. If you own a business and your competitor is breaking the law to get an unfair advantage, you're going to take them down....I don't care who you are.
Ha.. unless your competitor is owned by drug dealers or mobsters, then keeping your mouth shut might just save your life. [:)]

THE_New_York_Giants
05-11-2012, 10:21 AM
With the "Uncapped" year crap, did Mara unfairly target the Skins and 'Boys because they were in the East? The Bears apparently did a similar thing with Peppers' contract, and nothing was said.... Maybe I'm not understanding something. Does anyone know the full story? Care to Share? If Mara did bust only the NFCE teams, it seems like a shady move, and it makes me ashamed to have this associated with our team...</P>

I must have missed the news story where John Mara was elected King of the NFL!</P>
that'd be so ****ing sick...

Morehead State
05-11-2012, 10:44 AM

that'd be so ****ing sick...</P>

Now if Morehead could get himslef elected to that post, we'd be getting somewhere.</P>

appodictic
05-11-2012, 09:02 PM

I didn't find any information to support your claim that the Bears did something similar with Peppers. In fact in 2011 they restructured his contract which supposedly saved them $8 million that year.

So what are we missing?

I cannot find the article in question, nor could I find any specific information on what the Cowboys/Skins did wrong. This helps me understand it a little better, Thanks. I figured someone would have the information. As far as the Bears, they were mentioned as having been guilty of a similar offense with Julius Peppers. I had no details on that either, again, the reason I came here. Some of you guys are a wealth of information and an excellent resource. Thanks again.

Didn't own the owners unanimously vote to punish those teams.

Harooni
05-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I am more ashamed that he went to lunch with Tom Cruise

THE_New_York_Giants
05-11-2012, 11:26 PM
I am more ashamed that he went to lunch with Tom Cruise

Me too...