PDA

View Full Version : We Would Get More For Osi By Keeping Him, Unless ...

George_Vreeland_Hill
05-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Why trade Osi?
Keep him and let him go after 2012.
We would get a high compensatory pick (third round) anyway when he signs with another team.
Trade him now for a third or fourth round pick makes no sense.
Keep him because he knows the more he produces, the more he will make next year with his new team.
That current production makes the Giants better this year.
Besides, the Giants would get equal trade value down the road.
UNLESS?
Oh yes.
Unless a team wants to give up a number one or two.
Forget the number one.
We'll see.

GMENAGAIN
05-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Agreed with your post until the part that you say that we should trade him for a number 2.

Morehead State
05-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Agreed with your post until the part that you say that we should trade him for a number 2.</P>

I'd jump on a 2nd rounder and never look back.</P>

Some of you folks are forgetting the other benefit of trading Osi. We free up about $5MM in cap space which is precious to us given our cap situation.</P>

Don't forget we are paying our 3rd DE almost $5MM. Is that a good use of money when we have JPP at right DE? Not to mention Kiwi.</P>

Just asking.</P>

B&RWarrior
05-11-2012, 08:48 AM
I'd take a number 2 easy. It won't happen though.

TuckYou
05-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Wouldnt trade him for anything less then a #1, and the Giants won't either. Osi's value for us next season is more then a 1st round pick. We have a shot to repeat. Without Osi, we lose a significant part of our defense.

GMENAGAIN
05-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Agreed with your post until the part that you say that we should trade him for a number 2.</P>

Some of you folks are forgetting the other benefit of trading Osi. We free up about $5MM in cap space which is precious to us given our cap situation.</P>

Don't forget we are paying our 3rd DE almost $5MM. Is that a good use of money when we have JPP at right DE? Not to mention Kiwi.</P>

Just asking.</P>

</P>

To me it doesn't make sense to get rid of Osi to free up $5M in cap space when there is no way of getting a pass rusher of his caliber for that amount . . . . i.e., his performance is worth much more than the cap savings. </P>

Are you saying that Os's pay for this year is too much????? Because IMO it really can't be disputed that his pay for this year is extremely team-friendly.</P>

Whether Osi is a starter or a 3rd DE doesn't even matter in our system. The entire system depends on having a deep group of pass rushers so that we canrush the passer with relatively freshbodies throughout the game. If we get rid of Osi, we lose a lot of depth. </P>

The only way that I would get rid of him this year is if he became such an unbearable headache ala Shockey . . . . and I don't see that happening. </P>

</P>

</P>

B&RWarrior
05-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Wouldnt trade him for anything less then a #1, and the Giants won't either. Osi's value for us next season is more then a 1st round pick. We have a shot to repeat. Without Osi, we lose a significant part of our defense.

He's not worth more than a first rounder. He's 31 years old and he is a part time player. First round means you have a legitimate shot at drafting a player that has potential to be a star on your team for the next ten years.

Especially in light of the fact we have Kiwi we won't fall off that much in terms of pass rush presence. Kiwi is almost as good versus the pass and better versus the run.

If a team puts up a 1st rounder for Osi you take it and runaway before they change their mind.

Drez
05-11-2012, 09:47 AM

He's not worth more than a first rounder. He's 31 years old and he is a part time player. First round means you have a legitimate shot at drafting a player that has potential to be a star on your team for the next ten years.

Especially in light of the fact we have Kiwi we won't fall off that much in terms of pass rush presence. Kiwi is almost as good versus the pass and better versus the run.

If a team puts up a 1st rounder for Osi you take it and runaway before they change their mind.

He's only a part-time player on the Giants. Even with his mediocre run support he'd be a 3 down player on almost every other team.

nhpgiantsfan
05-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Wouldnt trade him for anything less then a #1, and the Giants won't either. Osi's value for us next season is more then a 1st round pick. We have a shot to repeat. Without Osi, we lose a significant part of our defense. He's not worth more than a first rounder. He's 31 years old and he is a part time player. First round means you have a legitimate shot at drafting a player that has potential to be a star on your team for the next ten years. Especially in light of the fact we have Kiwi we won't fall off that much in terms of pass rush presence. Kiwi is almost as good versus the pass and better versus the run. If a team puts up a 1st rounder for Osi you take it and runaway before they change their mind.</P>

</P>

Kiwi does not have the body of work at DE to be considered comparable to Osi.</P>

Osi is the best pass rusher on the team and one of the best in the league. I am not talking about him being compared as a complete DE. But strictly as a pass rusher, there arent many better than him in the NFL.. We built our 2 championships on our pass rush. We need to keep Osi.</P>

G-Man67
05-11-2012, 01:02 PM
i agree with keeping him, but can't bank on the compensatory pick ... i expect him to be a beast next season and honestly we need him ... Tuck's been banged up the last few seasons and Tolly is gone</P>

B&RWarrior
05-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Wouldnt trade him for anything less then a #1, and the Giants won't either. Osi's value for us next season is more then a 1st round pick. We have a shot to repeat. Without Osi, we lose a significant part of our defense. He's not worth more than a first rounder. He's 31 years old and he is a part time player. First round means you have a legitimate shot at drafting a player that has potential to be a star on your team for the next ten years. Especially in light of the fact we have Kiwi we won't fall off that much in terms of pass rush presence. Kiwi is almost as good versus the pass and better versus the run. If a team puts up a 1st rounder for Osi you take it and runaway before they change their mind.</P>

*</P>

Kiwi does not have the body of work at DE to be considered comparable to Osi.</P>

Osi is the best pass rusher on the team and one of the best in the league.* I am not talking about him being compared as a complete DE.* But strictly as a pass rusher, there arent many better than him in the NFL..* We built our 2 championships on our pass rush.* We need to keep Osi.</P>

We've seen Kiwi rush the passer with his hand in the dirt plenty. He's not as good as Osi. He doesn't really have an inside move. He's not as strong as Osi. He has an above average edge rush move. Kiwi play's the run with better technique.

If they asked me would you trade Osi for Wilson I'd make that trade in heartbeat. Osi is gone after this year. He has no value past this year. He wants to start and make starters money. We can't do it. We already resigned Kiwi. We're going to pay JPP. To resign Osi means we have 3 big contracts at RDE.

The workout bonus in Kiwi's contract makes me think we are going to move him to DE. Kiwi would need to get stronger to play full time DE at a high level.

Martin
05-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Many valid points!

The one thing that stands out to me is the
fact that Osi for 2012 would have to play real hard with FA in 2013.

He has to sustain his value by showing himself. Meaning he can't stay on the stationary bike much at all.

J. Reese hold all the cards on him.
Osi has to play and play well.

A 2nd round pick? Not gonna happen.

JJC7301
05-11-2012, 10:22 PM
We're trying to repeat, so it makes no sense at all to me in trading one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. No sense at all.

Kiwi is no Osi. I would rather have spent that money trying to resign Osi.

Morehead State
05-11-2012, 10:31 PM

Just asking.</P>

</P>

To me it doesn't make sense to get rid of Osi to free up $5M in cap space when there is no way of getting a pass rusher of his caliber for that amount . . . . i.e., his performance is worth much more than the cap savings. </P>

Are you saying that Os's pay for this year is too much????? Because IMO it really can't be disputed that his pay for this year is extremely team-friendly.</P>

Whether Osi is a starter or a 3rd DE doesn't even matter in our system. The entire system depends on having a deep group of pass rushers so that we canrush the passer with relatively freshbodies throughout the game. If we get rid of Osi, we lose a lot of depth. </P>

The only way that I would get rid of him this year is if he became such an unbearable headache ala Shockey . . . . and I don't see that happening. </P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

We have a pass rusher of his caliber right now. His name is Pierre-Paul. We move him out of position in order to accomodate Osi on passing downs.</P>

JPP is a better player now than Osi has ever been. Now Osi is nearing (or at) the twilight of his career.</P>

JPP may end up as one of the gretest DE's in NFL history before its all said and done.</P>

Harooni
05-11-2012, 11:02 PM
why would we get anything after 2012? teams would let him hit FA.

speedman
05-11-2012, 11:02 PM
The people that want to trade Osi are nuts. No effing way.

Harooni
05-11-2012, 11:15 PM
We have a pass rusher of his caliber right now. His name is Pierre-Paul. We move him out of position in order to accomodate Osi on passing downs.</p>

JPP is a better player now than Osi has ever been. Now Osi is nearing (or at) the twilight of his career.</p>

JPP may end up as one of the gretest DE's in NFL history before its all said and done.</p>

We think very much alike. great post

radar-ray
05-12-2012, 12:50 AM
We have a pass rusher of his caliber right now. His name is Pierre-Paul. We move him out of position in order to accomodate Osi on passing downs.</P>

JPP is a better player now than Osi has ever been. Now Osi is nearing (or at) the twilight of his career.</P>

JPP may end up as one of the gretest DE's in NFL history before its all said and done.</P>

We think very much alike. great post
Somebody in the front office said "you can never have enough pass rushers". The front office knows a hell of a lot more than you. We have been winning SB's for a long time with that philosophy. Apparently you people think there is no possibility of JPP or Tuck getting hurt and ending up missing part or all of the season. Then what? Apparently the coaches think it's beneficial for the pass rush to bring Osi in and move JPP to the other side on passing downs, especially in our NASCAR pkg. (where they move Tuck inside),or they wouldn't do it!

GMENAGAIN
05-12-2012, 07:27 AM
why would we get anything after 2012? teams would let him hit FA.
</P>

Compensatory pick</P>

Manstache
05-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Some of you folks are forgetting the other benefit of trading Osi.* We free up about $5MM in cap space which is precious to us given our cap situation.</P>

Don't forget we are paying our 3rd DE almost $5MM.* Is that a good use of money when we have JPP at right DE?* Not to mention Kiwi.</P>

Just asking.</P>yea it is. by having the most versatility, most dynamic, and most exotic pass rush scheme and rotation this league has ever seen in its 92 years of existence its yielded 2 straps while doing so in a so called "passing" league. money more than well spent.

greenca190
05-12-2012, 10:07 AM
I'd be surprised if we received a thir round compensatory pick fr him. The only third given out this year was to the raiders for nnamdi signing with the eagles.

B&RWarrior
05-12-2012, 10:16 AM
I'd be surprised if we received a thir round compensatory pick fr him. The only third given out this year was to the raiders for nnamdi signing with the eagles.

That says it all. Nnamdi is considered to be the second best CB in the league and the Raiders got a #3. If I was JR I would keep him for the year.

IamGiantsfan
05-12-2012, 10:47 AM

That says it all. Nnamdi is considered to be the second best CB in the league and the Raiders got a #3. If I was JR I would keep him for the year.
I believe the max is a third round pick, I remember when Julius Peppers left to the Bears, the Panthers got a 3rd rounder

Gimaniac
05-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Reese, "We are a better football team with Osi on it" = he's not going anywhere

Morehead State
05-14-2012, 02:18 PM

Just asking.</P>

yea it is. by having the most versatility, most dynamic, and most exotic pass rush scheme and rotation this league has ever seen in its 92 years of existence its yielded 2 straps while doing so in a so called "passing" league. money more than well spent.</P>

A tad overstated.....Don't you think?</P>

myles2424
05-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Some of you people amaze me.....trade a pro bowl DE? So some 2nd or 3rd round pick is going to come in & have the career Osi had? No likely......

JJC7301
05-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Keep Osi for one more year to try to repeat. It's not worth trading him.

Morehead State
05-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Some of you people amaze me.....trade a pro bowl DE? So some 2nd or 3rd round pick is going to come in &amp; have the career Osi had? No likely......</P>

Osi hasn't been to a pro bowl in 5 years. And he's been selected to a grand total of 2 in his career.</P>

jomo
05-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Why trade Osi?
Keep him and let him go after 2012.
We would get a high compensatory pick (third round) anyway when he signs with another team.
Trade him now for a third or fourth round pick makes no sense.
Keep him because he knows the more he produces, the more he will make next year with his new team.
That current production makes the Giants better this year.
Besides, the Giants would get equal trade value down the road.
UNLESS?
Oh yes.
Unless a team wants to give up a number one or two.
Forget the number one.
We'll see.
+1 nailed it.