PDA

View Full Version : Limas Sweed at NYG Rookie Camp

AllTuckedUp
05-11-2012, 11:06 AM
This guy has good height, speed and hands but never flashed anything with the Steelers. He is another guy to keep an eye on.

Shockeyitus
05-11-2012, 11:44 AM
If he can play to the level he played in college and was expected in the NFL.... he can be a great pick up.

GMENAGAIN
05-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Eh, I don't have much hope that a guy who has never produced will suddenly produce for us . . . . </P>

To me, though, having Sweed in camp says something about what they think of Barden . . . . </P>

Shockeyitus
05-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Eh, I don't have much hope that a guy who has never produced will suddenly produce for us . . . . </P>

To me, though, having Sweed in camp says something about what they think of Barden . . . . </P>

Drafting Randle is telling me that they think Barden is junk and will never touch the field.

CGYgiant
05-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Eh, I don't have much hope that a guy who has never produced will suddenly produce for us . . . . </p>

To me, though, having Sweed in camp says something about what they think of Barden . . . . </p>

Drafting Randle is telling me that they think Barden is junk and will never touch the field.

He can't separate. He has been injured but he can't separate and he doesn't play physical at all for his size.

RonJon
05-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Nice. Liked him alot when he was at Texas. Good size, good hands and decent speed. If he can stay healthy and make the team, could be a real steal!

TuckYou
05-11-2012, 12:28 PM

He can't separate. He has been injured but he can't separate and he doesn't play physical at all for his size.
</P>

Not sure I agree 100% with that. I saw him get physical out there, and snag a few bad passes. His route running and explosiveness is lacking though. Randle is going to pass him, but might not get passed Hixon (if healthy) or Jernigan. Time will tell.</P>

CGYgiant
05-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Eh, I don't have much hope that a guy who has never produced will suddenly produce for us . . . . </p>

To me, though, having Sweed in camp says something about what they think of Barden . . . . </p>

</p>

Not sure I agree 100% with that. I saw him get physical out there, and snag a few bad passes. His route running and explosiveness is lacking though. Randle is going to pass him, but might not get passed Hixon (if healthy) or Jernigan. Time will tell.</p>

For a guy that is 6'6.5 and over 220 pounds he is soft, Nicks who is only barely 6'1 plays way bigger then him because he is much more physical, I've never seen Barden use his size and length in games at all. Its because he is soft and as you mentioned he lacks explosiveness to separate at the top of his routes.

JMFP2
05-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Sweed

G-Men Surg.
05-11-2012, 12:57 PM
WOW ! He was a beast down in Texas . Another disappointment 2nd rounder like Thomas was in Washington and he did good filling an important role here. Let's see if Limas comes with an attitude and picks up the slack . It's all about competition for Jerry Reese and I LOVE IT !!!!

G-Man67
05-11-2012, 12:59 PM
well he has a good chanting name</P>

Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzz</P>

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddd</P>

giantsfan420
05-11-2012, 01:06 PM

</p>

Not sure I agree 100% with that. I saw him get physical out there, and snag a few bad passes. His route running and explosiveness is lacking though. Randle is going to pass him, but might not get passed Hixon (if healthy) or Jernigan. Time will tell.</p>

For a guy that is 6'6.5 and over 220 pounds he is soft, Nicks who is only barely 6'1 plays way bigger then him because he is much more physical, I've never seen Barden use his size and length in games at all. Its because he is soft and as you mentioned he lacks explosiveness to separate at the top of his routes.

theres plenty of negatives about barden to focus on, dont go creating false ones. he actually plays pretty physical. most of his catches he outmuscled/boxed out a defender who had just as good a shot at the ball as he did.

im still not ready to give up on him, he got hurt two seasons ago and missed most of last season. no offseason programs are dentrimental.

he has also gotten seperation too. its just his sample size is way too small. thats why he justifiably receives criticism, he hasnt done much of anything except a few catches here or there.

i remember last season when the PUP deadline was coming up, the NY beat writers were commenting on how good barden was looking, it didnt translate to the field.

hopefully it does this season and fast, bc he could easily be the odd man out

nygsb42champs
05-11-2012, 01:07 PM
With all the WR's we have I can not see him sticking.

CGYgiant
05-11-2012, 01:14 PM

</p>

theres plenty of negatives about barden to focus on, dont go creating false ones. he actually plays pretty physical. most of his catches he outmuscled/boxed out a defender who had just as good a shot at the ball as he did.

im still not ready to give up on him, he got hurt two seasons ago and missed most of last season. no offseason programs are dentrimental.

he has also gotten seperation too. its just his sample size is way too small. thats why he justifiably receives criticism, he hasnt done much of anything except a few catches here or there.

i remember last season when the PUP deadline was coming up, the NY beat writers were commenting on how good barden was looking, it didnt translate to the field.

hopefully it does this season and fast, bc he could easily be the odd man out

Actually most of Barden catches come on comeback routes which seem to be the only routes he can get a decent amount of separation on.

He always gets tackled instantaneously, he should be beating down DB's who are almost always a half-foot shorter, he doesn't do that? how can you say he physical? being tall doesn't equal being physical..

RonJon
05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
With all the WR's we have I can not see him sticking.

Could supplant Barden with a good camp. Also, you never know who might get injured.

Neverend
05-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Actually most of Barden catches come on comeback routes which seem to be the only routes he can get a decent amount of separation on

I agree. He also separates on post routes too

But any route where he has to get in and out of his breaks, he lacks fluidity and is woefully slow. He can not separate on most routes. Routes where he can make one plant cut, like any receiver, he can separate from

However would have to agree with 420, barden has made some "physical" grabs throughout his career

But then again, it depends on your definition of "physical"

AllTuckedUp
05-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Ralph V said

"WR Limus Sweed, who had shoulder surgery in November, said he worked out for Bears, Bengals before coming to Giants minicamp. #NYG"

If he would have worked out well he probably would have been offered a deal.

CGYgiant
05-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Actually most of Barden catches come on comeback routes which seem to be the only routes he can get a decent amount of separation on

But any route where he has to get in and out of his breaks, he lacks fluidity and is woefully slow. He can not separate on most routes. Routes where he can make one plant cut, like any receiver, he can separate from

However would have to agree with 420, barden has made some "physical" grabs throughout his career

Just found this on youtube, Barden's career highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Cq5YTOcQM

Not as soft as I thought but certainly not very physical, he just goes down to easy for being one of the biggest receivers in the league.

I think, looking at this tape, his biggest issue is his lack of short area quickness, hes defnietly a "long-strider" and that is exactly why he doesn't create separation IMO. It takes him way to long to get up to speed.

B&RWarrior
05-11-2012, 01:35 PM

What the guy have 9 catches last year? Way too early to axe the guy or say what kind of a receiver he is.

What we do know is that he came from a small school and was relatively raw in terms of his WR acumen. I think we knew he was going to be a project.

He doesn't need to get great separation. He's 6'6" 220+ llbs. He needs to know how to use his body to gain an advantage on contested receptions.

This year he has to show tremendous progress. The RR draft had nothing to do with Barden's performance. We draft BPA no matter who we have. JR has repeated this on several occasions. We thought RR was a steal in the bottom of second round.

BeatYale
05-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Another tall WR for fans to get wet over?

Barden was pre-qualified for the Hall of Fame around here back when he was drafted.

"Like OMGz I can't wait to see Ramses on the field. I'm more excited about him than our first round pick Nicks!!! woohooo non-stop fade route touchdowns all game long and 100% victory on all jump balls. GO GIANTS!!! Ramses for MVP!!!!"

Limas, along with guys like James Hardy, were the examples I used when telling fans not to get their hopes up because tall guys have a hard time in the NFL.

Neverend
05-11-2012, 01:47 PM

Not as soft as I thought but certainly not very physical, he just goes down to easy for being one of the biggest receivers in the league.

I think, looking at this tape, his biggest issue is his lack of short area quickness, hes defnietly a "long-strider" and that is exactly why he doesn't create separation IMO. It takes him way to long to get up to speed.

I guess that would be fair, he doesn't seem to have elite "physicality" although that definition could be subjective

I would also agree on lack of short area quicks, he's a big time strider as well. takes quite some time to get to full speed. also has some technique issues against press coverage (although he did flash the ability to absorb press well)

I think with this guy he is never, ever going to out quick or out run anyone in the nfl. hes going to make his plays by adjusting and high pointing for the ball. And in that area, he seems to be decent... doesnt look elite in that area tho

gmen0820
05-11-2012, 01:55 PM

I guess that would be fair, he doesn't seem to have elite "physicality" although that definition could be subjective

I would also agree on lack of short area quicks, he's a big time strider as well. takes quite some time to get to full speed. also has some technique issues against press coverage (although he did flash the ability to absorb press well)

I think with this guy he is never, ever going to out quick or out run anyone in the nfl. hes going to make his plays by adjusting and high pointing for the ball. And in that area, he seems to be decent... doesnt look elite in that area thoI think he looks absolutely terrible out of press. He shuffled his feet for 2 freaking seconds, as a 6'6 receiver, 3rd year pro, out of the slot.

He gets absolutely mauled at the X receiver spot. The majority of his catches appeared to happen with very minimal contact/free release at the LOS.

I'd love to call him a seam threat, but when the Jets had bracket coverage on him on that seam pattern, he dropped the ball.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-11-2012, 01:57 PM
I never thought he was that good at Texas.

B&RWarrior
05-11-2012, 02:09 PM

I think with this guy he is never, ever going to out quick or out run anyone in the nfl. hes going to make his plays by adjusting and high pointing for the ball. And in that area, he seems to be decent... doesnt look elite in that area thoI think he looks absolutely terrible out of press. He shuffled his feet for 2 freaking seconds, as a 6'6 receiver, 3rd year pro, out of the slot.

He gets absolutely mauled at the X receiver spot. The majority of his catches appeared to happen with very minimal contact/free release at the LOS.

I'd love to call him a seam threat, but when the Jets had bracket coverage on him on that seam pattern, he dropped the ball.

He has good hands. Eli made a poor throw on one pass that he dropped and Poole made a great play on the ball on the other pass he couldn't hold on to.

His potential is obvious on the plays where he snags the ball away from the Pats DB. That should have been a pick.

Barden #3 WR if he can stay healthy. I've said it before I'll say it again.

Neverend
05-11-2012, 02:12 PM
I think he looks absolutely terrible out of press. He shuffled his feet for 2 freaking seconds, as a 6'6 receiver, 3rd year pro, out of the slot.

Haha. I agree with you, for the most part didnt look good at all when defenders were in his grill

When I said he flashed some ability against press coverage, I had that catch he made against the pats (3:56 time in video) in mind. Then again, the corner didnt have the strongest punch in the world.

That seam play was distubring. You never want ur receivers to short arm passes like that. I'm guessing that play as well as others was a huge reason why he wasn't active for the rest of the year

Neverend
05-11-2012, 02:15 PM
His potential is obvious on the plays where he snags the ball away from the Pats DB. That should have been a pick.

I agree that catch (and against the cowboys too) was extremely impressive.

But would you really classify that as "potential"? I'm not sure if I would. I don't want a receiver that can only make catches when a pass is behind him or on top of him (where he has to adjust/high point). I want him to separate on routes and off the line

Randle can do some of the things barden does AND can separate. Barden will not beat him out, unless Randle is struggling with the playbook imo

gmen0820
05-11-2012, 02:16 PM
That seam play was distubring. You never want ur receivers to short arm passes like that. I'm guessing that play as well as others was a huge reason why he wasn't active for the rest of the yearHe had just a terrible game. Didn't fight Cromartie for the ball when Cromartie ran that route better than Barden (luckily it went through his hands). He fell coming back on the mid curl, and I guess he wasn't expecting Eli to throw the ball at him, so it took him like two seconds to get up, and the ball already zoomed by him.

I think it is gonna have to be the slot or nothing for Barden.

sodbuster
05-11-2012, 04:56 PM
barden is not as slow as you all think he is.watch the 99 yard catch cruz had against the jets. watch the bottom of the TV screen barden (#13) is almost stopped took off and is keeping up with cruz all the way down the side line to the end zone..surprise surprise...

nycsportzfan
05-11-2012, 05:04 PM
WE don't need sweed.. We got a heap of WR's to challenge for spots... Cruz, Nicks, Jerrnigan, Randle, Hixon, and Julian Talley(UDF from UMASS whos darn good)...

jomo
05-11-2012, 06:04 PM

To me, though, having Sweed in camp says something about what they think of Barden . . . . </P>Barden sets a pretty low bar................<FONT color=#ff0000>but he sure is tall</FONT>.

FroZeNx31x
05-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Sweed is a total wash. Over-rated prospect that could never assimilate to the competition at the NFL level. He's just in camp to push the UDFA's

G-Men Surg.
05-11-2012, 06:59 PM
I never thought he was that good at Texas.
He was a stud at Texas, a lot of scouts and analysts had him has the top WR coming out of college .

G-Men Surg.
05-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Ralph Vacchiano
Kevin Gilbride didn't make it sound like WR Limas Sweed had wowed anyone during minicamp so far. "Hes certainly a big, tall guy," Gilbride said. "You can see maybe physically why people thought enough of him a few years ago to draft him as highly as they did. It looks like hes a little bit rusty. Hes got a ways to go in terms of sharpening some of the things hes doing in the expression of his routes. But hes a big guy who looks like he can catch it." #NYG
about 2 hours ago

Tough start for Limas and it doesn't get any easier , lots of competition all around.

Bohemian
05-12-2012, 09:26 PM
sounds like a good candidate for the practice squad.

jomo
05-12-2012, 10:19 PM
I never thought he was that good at Texas. He was a stud at Texas, a lot of scouts and analysts had him has the top WR coming out of college .............then he arrived in the NFL and found out that this is a results business.............which left him unemployed.

hugehomer
05-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Sweed hands of stone. Bye

GMENAGAIN
05-13-2012, 10:23 AM
sounds like a good candidate for the practice squad.
</P>

not eligible</P>

MikeSherrard
05-13-2012, 03:28 PM
according to this report for Garafolo Sweed may get cut today and has been horrible!!!!!!!!!!

"Considering he was a second-round pick and had a big game in the 2006 National Championship game, Limas Sweed was one of the more interesting names on the roster for Giants (http://www.nj.com/giants) rookie camp.

After the past few days, it'll be a shock if he's on the roster come Monday.</p>

The veteran wide receiver struggled to make an impact and this
afternoon and dropped three passes, thus reinforcing a knock on him from
his days with the Pittsburgh Steelers.</p>

On one play, he nearly hauled in a pass up the right sideline but couldn't control the ball as cornerback E.J. Whitley
(tryout, Abilene Christian) got his hand in there. The next two
should've been easy catches but bounced right off Sweed's hands. Even on
a catch he did make, Sweed didn't make it a clean grab. Sweed also
slipped on one play, leading to an easy interception for cornerback Dante Hughes (veteran tryout).</p>

Sweed came here trying to make an impression. It's extremely unlikely at this point it was a good one.</p>

Captain Chaos
05-13-2012, 09:03 PM
I thought this was about Sweed not Barden.

First, Eisen said that Sweed didn't look very good dropped a bunch of passes. Doesn't think he wil make the cut.

Barden should be healthy and have a whole offseason program to excell, it will be up to him to make it or break it. I think his ankle was an issue all last year.

miked1958
05-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Nice. Liked him alot when he was at Texas. Good size, good hands and decent speed. If he can stay healthy and make the team, could be a real steal!All true but a guy with his size shouldn't have to get to much separation to make a play.

miked1958
05-13-2012, 10:37 PM
He just needs to go up and get it