PDA

View Full Version : Hixon might surprise us

AllTuckedUp
05-11-2012, 02:22 PM
When Hixon isn't hurt he is always playing well for us. As a number three WR or a special teamer, Hixon has done a great job. I understand he is coming off two acl tears but he looked fine before going down last year.

BeatYale
05-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Well he's definitely a reliable return man. I felt bad for the dude, tearing his ACL again last season after that amazing catch that helped us beat the Rams.

MikeSherrard
05-11-2012, 02:58 PM
I think your being very optimistic. How many top return men in the NFL have missed 2 consecutive years with reconstructive knee surgery?

AllTuckedUp
05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
I think your being very optimistic.* How many top* return men in the NFL have missed 2 consecutive years with reconstructive knee surgery?

Valid point. Thankfully for Hixon it was early in the year.

BeatYale
05-11-2012, 03:10 PM
I think your being very optimistic.* How many top* return men in the NFL have missed 2 consecutive years with reconstructive knee surgery?

Good point. I should have mentioned when I said reliable I was mainly referring to him handling the rock. Everyone we used last year made me nervous because they all had some sort of mishap(s) during the season.

fizzlestick
05-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Well he's definitely a reliable return man. I felt bad for the dude, tearing his ACL again last season after that amazing catch that helped us beat the Rams.

The one where he tried to catch the ball with his shoulder? I agree he was a good returner but I don't get why some people think he was a great receiver.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-11-2012, 03:13 PM
I think they should use him exclusively for the return game.

RoanokeFan
05-11-2012, 04:01 PM
I think your being very optimistic. How many top return men in the NFL have missed 2 consecutive years with reconstructive knee surgery?

The nice thing about Hixon is if he can come back healthy, he serves as a veteran receiver/returner the team can count on as other younger players get through the learning curve. I think Hixon may well be a positive contributor this season.

BigBlue1971
05-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Hixon is due to have a good healthy year! </P>

i hope he can catch a break and play 16 games for us.</P>

</P>

BlueBlitzer
05-11-2012, 05:00 PM
TC's #1 law on return men is Ball Security. You never had to worry whenever Hixon caught the ball. If Hixon makes the squad, I expect many " Happy Returns ".

thomsoad
05-11-2012, 05:28 PM
I gotta be honest...Hixon just making the team this year would surprise me.

zimonami
05-11-2012, 05:53 PM

The one where he tried to catch the ball with his shoulder? I agree he was a good returner but I don't get why some people think he was a great receiver.

Hes no All Pro, but he is excellent depth at WR. And, I also thought the catch against the Rams was excellent... super concentration after the initial miss.
He is our best return man and I wish him only the best in getting a full season out of his legs.

nycsportzfan
05-11-2012, 06:11 PM
I think UMASS might give us another gift in the WR dept... I think Talley is gonna be a guy to watch out for.. Hes quick, and slippery after the catch, runs solid routes all over the field, did well against the tougher competition they played, and gets YAC, and has solid speed, and displays great concentration on tough catches.. Hes kinda like Cruz, as far as the type of player Cruz was when he was here at UMASS...</P>

</P>

Julian Talley Highlights - YouTube (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DqxlY-OmLFBo&amp;sa=U&amp;ei=U3-tT-3vO8re0QGG1KSUDA&amp;ved=0CBEQtwIwAA&amp;usg=AFQjCNERGXulS 1gTXIKxPrT4-LE88h8Pyw)
</P>

giantsfan420
05-11-2012, 06:53 PM
*I think UMASS might give us another gift in the WR dept...* I think Talley is gonna be a guy to watch out for.. Hes quick, and slippery after the catch, runs solid routes all over the field, did well against the tougher competition they played, and gets YAC, and has solid speed, and displays great concentration on tough catches..** Hes kinda like Cruz, as far as the type of player Cruz was when he was here at UMASS...</P>

*</P>

Julian Talley Highlights - YouTube (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DqxlY-OmLFBo&sa=U&ei=U3-tT-3vO8re0QGG1KSUDA&ved=0CBEQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNERGXulS1gTXIKxPrT4-LE88h8Pyw)
</P>

looks like he could be a player in our type of system. he sits in the holes of zone defense, good at making quick cuts and getting open, catches over the middle, makes difficult catches in traffic...hopefully can can make a name for himself

jomo
05-11-2012, 07:00 PM

Great, maybe not but he is a really good receiver. The casual fan obsesses over the one big drop but he also made many clutch grabs for us. The catch he made for a TD last year where he tore the acl was a great grab. When Plax went down, he was our #1 for a while. That was a stretch for him but if healthy he is a decent 2 and an excellent #3. Let's hope he is health.

RoanokeFan
05-11-2012, 07:51 PM

If he were a "great receiver" he'd be starting. He's a better than average, dependable receiver. He's the best return man we've had since he's been here.

Gimaniac
05-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Hixon as a receiver = meh
Hixon as a return guy = money

THE_New_York_Giants
05-12-2012, 11:02 AM

Hixon is usually pretty money on making catches. The only one I can think of that he let get away was that drop against the Eagles in 08... I'm sure if put in a situation (and if he's healthy) where teams are focusing on Cruz and Nicks, Hixon would thrive.

zimonami
05-12-2012, 11:46 AM
If Hixon's knee holds up, we all figure he's our best return man... The fact that he is solid depth at WR makes him more valuable. Bottom line, it's all about his knee. If OK, I'm very happy to have him on our squad.

Gimaniac
05-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Hixon is usually pretty money on making catches. The only one I can think of that he let get away was that drop against the Eagles in 08... I'm sure if put in a situation (and if he's healthy) where teams are focusing on Cruz and Nicks, Hixon would thrive.

When they used Hixon as a receiver, they stopped using him as a return guy. It was better when he was just the return guy. He changed the outcome of games in that role, never had near that impact as a receiver.

SweetZombieJesus
05-12-2012, 12:22 PM
He's always been a reliable team-first guy, but blown the same knee twice -- I will be pleasantly surprised if he has anything left to give.

greenca190
05-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Didnt hebeat ou manningham for the number three position out o camp last year?

B&RWarrior
05-12-2012, 01:04 PM

If he were a "great receiver" he'd be starting.* He's a better than average, dependable receiver.* He's the best return man we've had since he's been here.

RF is being generous. The guy has never been more than an average receiver with very little production to show for all his height, speed, and catching ability.

2 ACLs to the same knee is rough. He knows how to return kicks and as JJ proved last year speed alone doesn't equal success. I hope he can find success there b/c I honestly don't see him as a 3rd, or 4th WR.

appodictic
05-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Exactly he was very good as a #2 or #3.

GCGiant
05-13-2012, 06:05 AM
If he could stay healthy for a full season then, yeah...I'd be surprised.

nycsportzfan
05-13-2012, 07:35 AM
I think UMASS might give us another gift in the WR dept... I think Talley is gonna be a guy to watch out for.. Hes quick, and slippery after the catch, runs solid routes all over the field, did well against the tougher competition they played, and gets YAC, and has solid speed, and displays great concentration on tough catches.. Hes kinda like Cruz, as far as the type of player Cruz was when he was here at UMASS...</P>

</P>

Julian Talley Highlights - YouTube (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DqxlY-OmLFBo&amp;sa=U&amp;ei=U3-tT-3vO8re0QGG1KSUDA&amp;ved=0CBEQtwIwAA&amp;usg=AFQjCNERGXulS 1gTXIKxPrT4-LE88h8Pyw)
</P> looks like he could be a player in our type of system. he sits in the holes of zone defense, good at making quick cuts and getting open, catches over the middle, makes difficult catches in traffic...hopefully can can make a name for himself Ya, hes got alot of traits the Cruz had when he came here.. He's pretty darn good...

Toadofsteel
05-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Didnt hebeat ou manningham for the number three position out o camp last year?

He beat out MM and was named the #2 receiver, but played slot. It was when he went down that Cruz was given his opportunity, and we all know how that turned out.

The problem with him as a starting WR is that he's most effective in the slot, which would force Cruz outside if he played there. And if Randle pans out in any way (or even JJ12 for that matter), he would be on the outside while Cruz is in the slot.

I could see Hixon in on 4 WR sets, where you need two slot guys, but other than when I play that set in Madden, I don't see that particular set that often, what with our love for blocking TE's.

Overall, he's dependable depth and we know for a fact he's money on special teams, which we're sparing no expense on after Dodge-gate. The fact that he was re-signed as quickly as he was tells me that the team physician had a look at him and said he was good to play. But I don't see him playing much on offense unless something (god forbid) happened to Cruz. I was pulling for Hixon as a starting WR before the draft, but the fact that we took a WR really early tells me that JR has other plans...

miked1958
05-13-2012, 10:12 AM
When Hixon isn't hurt he is always playing well for us. As a number three WR or a special teamer, Hixon has done a great job. I understand he is coming off two acl tears but he looked fine before going down last year.I agree but he has not been able to stay healthy

miked1958
05-13-2012, 10:13 AM
I may be wrong but I think he has been hurt in every season he has been with us and been out at least a few games.