PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else scratching their head over Giants bringing in Joe Martinek?

thomsoad
05-11-2012, 04:24 PM
I got nothing against the guy just not sure where the Giants are thinking of using him. He is more of a FB then a RB. So is he supposed to compete against Hynoski for the FB position? If thats the case then we shouldnt have brought him in. I just dont see a rookie supplanting Hynoski.

Or is supposed to replace BJ in short yardage? I guess I could see that but this guy only rushed 24 times his senior year.

Nothing against the kid...i just dont see a place for him with this team

FroZeNx31x
05-11-2012, 04:38 PM
You've got it wrong. Martinek is more of a RB than a FB. He holds the New Jersey High School rushing title and is very quick with his feet. I think he is being brought in to be a powerback and pass-protector in short yardage situations.

Check out his highlights, the guy can move once he has the ball in his hands.

zimonami
05-11-2012, 04:40 PM
It's not like he made the roster. There will be many more bodies signing before camp. Many are just speculation or camp fodder, and everyone knows it. Then, there's always a longshot, surprise find... like a Jeremy Lin for the Knicks... Or, what's his name?... uh, some guy named Victor Cruz that no one knew when he was a rook.. You never know, and Hynoski does a good job for us, but he's no All Pro.

buddy33
05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
He is a very good blocker, can catch the ball, and is pretty quick.

I would not be surprised if he made the team.

thomsoad
05-11-2012, 04:46 PM
You've got it wrong. Martinek is more of a RB than a FB. He holds the New Jersey High School rushing title and is very quick with his feet. I think he is being brought in to be a powerback and pass-protector in short yardage situations.

Hynoski broke rushing records in HS as well. Fact is Martinek rushed the ball only 24 times his senior year. For all intents he is a FB.

I guess its worth checking him out. But like i said...i just dont see a spot for him on this team.

thomsoad
05-11-2012, 04:47 PM
He is a very good blocker, can catch the ball, and is pretty quick.

I would not be surprised if he made the team.

Personally, I would be very surprised if they kept this guy and cut Hynoski....no chance they keep both.

nihan87
05-11-2012, 04:50 PM
He's a damn good runner, good fight for extra yards and once he gets going he is gone!</P>

</P>

I think having a Jersey boy in there playing for the GMEN would be good moral for him. </P>

</P>

Some highlights...</P>

</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87EG1RgZBo</P>

nihan87
05-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Gotta really like his vision and blocking skills as well.

FroZeNx31x
05-11-2012, 05:07 PM

Hynoski broke rushing records in HS as well. Fact is Martinek rushed the ball only 24 times his senior year. For all intents he is a FB.

I guess its worth checking him out. But like i said...i just dont see a spot for him on this team.

watch the tape before you define the guy. He played 3 years as a tailback before being switched to FB in his senior season.

buddy33
05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Exactly. RU also lost most of their OL talent two years ago and didn't replace it all that well.

nycsportzfan
05-11-2012, 05:24 PM
He's a damn good runner, good fight for extra yards and once he gets going he is gone!</P>

</P>

I think having a Jersey boy in there playing for the GMEN would be good moral for him. </P>

</P>

Some highlights...</P>

</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87EG1RgZBo</P> Ya, theres nothing wrong with bringing in a bulldozer, who can block and run some, obviously in the mold of a Kuhn from the pack... Martinek is the kinda player that gives u 100pct on every play, and does the little things well that makes a team better.. I have no problem bringing in Martinek...

NYG55nwo
05-11-2012, 05:38 PM
I got nothing against the guy just not sure where the Giants are thinking of using him. He is more of a FB then a RB. So is he supposed to compete against Hynoski for the FB position? If thats the case then we shouldnt have brought him in. I just dont see a rookie supplanting Hynoski. Or is supposed to replace BJ in short yardage? I guess I could see that but this guy only rushed 24 times his senior year. Nothing against the kid...i just dont see a place for him with this team</P>

This guy looks great! He can run, block, and catch.... Why wouldnt there be a spot on this team for him? </P>

giantsfan420
05-11-2012, 05:38 PM
thanks nihan.

he looks like he could be an awesome 3rd down back. great in pass protection. great hands. quick feet. and can run on short yardage. very tough to bring down...

wouldnt surprise me if this guy makes a name for himself in the nfl, just dont know if itll be with us

jomo
05-11-2012, 05:39 PM
EVERYONE needs to be pushed in training camp. NO ONE'S position should be secure. .......and that's before we get to injuries. We need all the good players we can find and I like what I see from this kid. If he can contribute on ST, he could stick.

DownWitJPP
05-11-2012, 05:57 PM
He is more of a FB then a RB. So is he supposed to compete against Hynoski for the FB position?

Or is supposed to replace BJ in short yardage? I guess I could see that but this guy only rushed 24 times his senior year.

First off your completely wrong that he's more of a FB then a RB. This kid holds the all time high school rushing record here in Jersey. He was a RB for 3 years at Rutgers before changeing to FB his senior season. He is a good blocker, catches the ball well out of the backfield and is a good solid overall football player.

IMO he isn't competing with Hank the Tank..He's competing with DJ ware and Andre Brown

jomo
05-11-2012, 06:02 PM
He is more of a FB then a RB. So is he supposed to compete against Hynoski for the FB position? Or is supposed to replace BJ in short yardage? I guess I could see that but this guy only rushed 24 times his senior year. First off your completely wrong that he's more of a FB then a RB. This kid holds the all time high school rushing record here in Jersey. He was a RB for 3 years at Rutgers before changeing to FB his senior season. He is a good blocker, catches the ball well out of the backfield and is a good solid overall football player. IMO he isn't competing with Hank the Tank..He's competing with DJ ware and Andre BrownA Giants RB who can catch the rock? There's a novelty.

RoanokeFan
05-11-2012, 07:02 PM
I got nothing against the guy just not sure where the Giants are thinking of using him. He is more of a FB then a RB. So is he supposed to compete against Hynoski for the FB position? If thats the case then we shouldnt have brought him in. I just dont see a rookie supplanting Hynoski.

Nothing against the kid...i just dont see a place for him with this team

The GIANTS bring a lot of players in all the time for a look and we never hear of them again. They do their homework in preparation of a roster spot opening during the season for an injury. Sort of like a draft board only it's the "what if" board.

RoanokeFan
05-11-2012, 07:04 PM
He is more of a FB then a RB. So is he supposed to compete against Hynoski for the FB position? Or is supposed to replace BJ in short yardage? I guess I could see that but this guy only rushed 24 times his senior year. First off your completely wrong that he's more of a FB then a RB. This kid holds the all time high school rushing record here in Jersey. He was a RB for 3 years at Rutgers before changeing to FB his senior season. He is a good blocker, catches the ball well out of the backfield and is a good solid overall football player. IMO he isn't competing with Hank the Tank..He's competing with DJ ware and Andre BrownA Giants RB who can catch the rock? There's a novelty.

Enter Harooni with a Tiki flash back.....[:$]

gfd_2
05-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Jersey Joe... love to see him in the backfield.

jomo
05-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Enter Harooni with a Tiki flash back.....[:$]
Oh no!

JJC7301
05-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I'd rather have Martinek at RB than Brown. Either way, I'm very happy with Hynoski but there's nothing wrong with competition. It's not like Hynoski is another Cruz with some massive breakout season. No knock against Hynoski -- I was very happy with him last year.

MRxAmazing
05-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Somewhat reminds me of this guy some of you may remember named Mike Alstott. Except Martinek is faster and a better receiver. Alstott made a name for himself in the NFL for quite a while, whether it was at TB or FB. Having Martinek on the roster is just another piece of offensive equipment at the Giants disposal and I'm on board if he can make the team.

I'd also like to add: This kid has fantastic blocking skills, great balance, and a surprising great burst of acceleration. He absolutely explodes after the ball is in his hands. I don't care if he's a FB or a TB. He's a weapon if he is on the roster come opening day.

BlueSanta
05-12-2012, 04:25 AM
His chances of making the team are likely somewhat small. However, he has 1 thing going for him that most do not coming out of college. He actually shows a good amount of skill at picking up blitzes in pass protection.

I also think anyone assuming he will replace Hynoski is looking at it the wrong way. He wont replace Hynoski but rather provide depth at 2 positions(if he makes the team.)

Bear Pascoe has been our backup FB for a couple years now. However, he is in a fight to keep his job this summer. We have Bennett, Robinson, Pascoe, and Beckum all vieing for 3 TE roster spots. If you include Ballard in the mix, it gets even less likely Pascoe makes the team. Without Pascoe we have nobody on the roster who could be our backup FB in case Hyno gets hurt.

So assuming Joe shows he can play Rb in the NFL(not at all a given,) he could help the Giants by allowing the Giants to evaluate Pascoe purely as a TE and not as a TE/ backup FB since Joe could fill the backup FB role. .

Gimaniac
05-12-2012, 07:48 AM
If if he doesn't make the team, they could offer him a spot on the practice squad and bring him up to fill injury voids. That's kinda how we won the SuperBowl last year, never enough depth.

NorwoodBlue
05-12-2012, 10:36 AM
The guy's competing against Brown and Ware, neither of them has shown much power running. You've got Bradshaw and Wilson as fast cutback type runners. What's missing is a short yardage back, we've been missing that for a couple years now. Jacobs hasn't been a good short yardage back in a while, and they NEVER let a FB run the ball (I wish someone would explain to me why the fullback seems to be ineligible to run the ball for the Giants). It used to be they'd fake to one back and give it to the other some times, that doesn't happen now. When's the last time we even saw a fake handoff to a FB? So anyhow, it seems to me to be a good move to get a power back as a change-up from Bradshaw/Wilson, and for short yardage. And it's May, not August, why shouldn't we bring in talent that could produce something? I don't see Ware or Brown as long-term solutions, so why not test out a few undrafted guys and see if you can strike gold with them. Given our successes with UFA, I think it's good to bring in as many as we can, and try to find some good special teams and reserve players.

zimonami
05-12-2012, 10:43 AM
His chances of making the team are likely somewhat small. However, he has 1 thing going for him that most do not coming out of college. He actually shows a good amount of skill at picking up blitzes in pass protection.

I also think anyone assuming he will replace Hynoski is looking at it the wrong way. He wont replace Hynoski but rather provide depth at 2 positions(if he makes the team.)

Bear Pascoe has been our backup FB for a couple years now. However, he is in a fight to keep his job this summer. We have Bennett, Robinson, Pascoe, and Beckum all vieing for 3 TE roster spots.* If you include Ballard in the mix, it gets even less likely Pascoe makes the team. Without Pascoe we have nobody on the roster who could be our backup FB in case Hyno gets hurt.

So assuming Joe shows he can play Rb in the NFL(not at all a given,) he could help the Giants by allowing the Giants to evaluate Pascoe purely as a TE and not as a TE/ backup FB since Joe could fill the backup FB role. .*

good evaluation, Blue... you are exactly right... he is depth at 2 positions, and the fact that he is a good blocking back makes him instantly valuable. Plus, with his skills and athleticism I don't doubt he could be a force on special teams.. I'd say Martinek is a solid prospect for depth.

RoanokeFan
05-12-2012, 11:40 AM

Bear Pascoe has been our backup FB for a couple years now. However, he is in a fight to keep his job this summer. We have Bennett, Robinson, Pascoe, and Beckum all vieing for 3 TE roster spots. If you include Ballard in the mix, it gets even less likely Pascoe makes the team. Without Pascoe we have nobody on the roster who could be our backup FB in case Hyno gets hurt.

So assuming Joe shows he can play Rb in the NFL(not at all a given,) he could help the Giants by allowing the Giants to evaluate Pascoe purely as a TE and not as a TE/ backup FB since Joe could fill the backup FB role. .

Ballard won't play this season and if anyone needs to go out of that group, it's Beckum who, at best, is one dimensional and not very good at that. He's a very slow WR playing TE.

hugehomer
05-12-2012, 11:53 AM
He was brought in to challenge Ware for his spot

buddy33
05-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't want to just get rid of guys that helped win a Super Bowl, but he moves better, blocks just as good, and has better hands than a couple of guys on the team. He is also know to be a hard worker and good character guy.

BlueSanta
05-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Ballard won't play this season and if anyone needs to go out of that group, it's Beckum who, at best, is one dimensional and not very good at that. He's a very slow WR playing TE.

I agree that it is unlikely Ballard plays. But not mentioning him in the mix would be negligent since he could only miss the 1st 6 weeks on the PuP.

I also agree that Beckum is in a fight for his job along with Pascoe. I think that is who Pascoe is fighting with. But, there is no doubt that, to this point, Pascoe's ability to play FB position in a pinch has been a crucial factor in his being a part of this team. Keep in mind he has been cut 3 times in the past when being evaluated as a pure TE.

While I do think right now that Pascoe is more valuable to the Giants than Beckum, I think it is only his ability to be a backup FB in a pinch that is the difference. If somehow Martinek makes the team, it allows the Giants to evaluate Pascoe purely as a TE. That is really all I am saying.

I still think the most likely scenario is Pascoe stays and Beckum goes.

bklyn1028
05-12-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't want to just get rid of guys that helped win a Super Bowl, but he moves better, blocks just as good, and has better hands than a couple of guys on the team. He is also know to be a hard worker and good character guy.

One thing about TC's thinking is what is good for the team. I don't think Beckum will last, neither will Brown, and DJ Ware is good, but if someone outshines him, he's history.
I like Ballard, and hope they don't get rid of him, but best case scenario with his injury is middle of the season, and that is a stretch, from what i've read. I think if this Martinek is what everyone says he is, he has as much as shot as anyone.

RoanokeFan
05-12-2012, 01:29 PM

I agree that it is unlikely Ballard plays. But not mentioning him in the mix would be negligent since he could only miss the 1st 6 weeks on the PuP.

I also agree that Beckum is in a fight for his job along with Pascoe. I think that is who Pascoe is fighting with. But, there is no doubt that, to this point, Pascoe's ability to play FB position in a pinch has been a crucial factor in his being a part of this team. Keep in mind he has been cut 3 times in the past when being evaluated as a pure TE.

While I do think right now that Pascoe is more valuable to the Giants than Beckum, I think it is only his ability to be a backup FB in a pinch that is the difference. If somehow Martinek makes the team, it allows the Giants to evaluate Pascoe purely as a TE. That is really all I am saying.

Ballard has said it's unlikely he'll play this season. I hope he heals and can come back next season.

DVision
05-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Coughlin had nothing but compliments for Martinek this morning. Noting his versatility, hands, and work ethic. When you have a guy that can play both FB and RB, can pass protect, has soft hands, size and speed. He could be a valuable commodity.

Like was said before, I'd be nervous if I was a player like Beckum not Hynoski. Pascoe just isn't the greatest backup FB plan. The Giants typically give chances to hungry UDFA's that can contribute. This kid can do that and if he can find a niche in specials (something he excelled at early in his college career) he'll make this team.

As long as he can stay healthy throughout the off-season!

BlueSanta
05-12-2012, 06:14 PM

Ballard has said it's unlikely he'll play this season. I hope he heals and can come back next season.

Well, I believe he actually said was that he "should return by mid season, if at all." So he has not shut the door. It has been reported numberous times that the Giants are planning for 2013 as if he cant go. But, they also went to the trouble of resigning him for just 1 year, so it is unlikely that they have shut the door on the possibility as well. Otherwise, they would have signed him to a multi year deal or not at all.

giantsfan420
05-12-2012, 07:12 PM
ive said it a lot recently, and ill say it again, i doubt ballard will be able to return to the level he was at this past season.

lets not kid ourselves, ballard is not fast, or quick...at all. he was effective tho bc of his big body, and some clever route running.
now with that injury, i could see him easily losing a step, and if he loses a step frm the speed he had last season, i just cannot see how hed be effective. maybe as the 2nd blocking te and the short-intermediate routes...but i cant see him being nearly as effective after this injury. and if he can, it wont be until a year after he's recovered, it takes a year at the least to completely recover, at least when u look at other players who had the injury ballard had.

god bless him tho, that was 100% heart in the SB when he tore his knee, and he taped it up on the sideline to see if he could go the rest of the game and collapsed bc his knee gave out...true heart of a champion type ****

MattMeyerBud
05-14-2012, 07:26 PM
He is more of a FB then a RB. So is he supposed to compete against Hynoski for the FB position?

First off your completely wrong that he's more of a FB then a RB. This kid holds the all time high school rushing record here in Jersey. He was a RB for 3 years at Rutgers before changeing to FB his senior season. He is a good blocker, catches the ball well out of the backfield and is a good solid overall football player.

IMO he isn't competing with Hank the Tank..He's competing with DJ ware and Andre Brown

i don't get why people are bringing up his HS stats to make a point about NFL football

MattMeyerBud
05-14-2012, 07:27 PM
I'd rather have Martinek at RB than Brown. Either way, I'm very happy with Hynoski but there's nothing wrong with competition. It's not like Hynoski is another Cruz with some massive breakout season. No knock against Hynoski -- I was very happy with him last year.

browns test popping screwed him

Scott, Bradshaw, and the Rook should be our 3 main RBs...

probably Ware as well

GameTime
05-14-2012, 07:49 PM
NIce story for a Rutgers and jersey kid. He is nothing but potential at this pint.
I wish him well......

mainegiantsfan
05-14-2012, 08:40 PM
I see him beating out Scott, with Ware the odd man out. Scott hasn't shown anything, so that puts Joe on an even plane to start with, and he has more versatility. I think we have given Ware enough time to prove himself, and he hasn't shown squat.

BigBlue1971
05-14-2012, 10:12 PM
it just shows how prepared our front office is. they knew what they saw in Martinek and brought him in!</P>

TCsaid last week Martinek could prolly play both rb positons and thats a good thing!</P>

i think he'll be in camp and we'll see then!</P>

</P>

buddy33
05-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Scott hasn't shown anything? He was a rookie in a lock out year with 3 guys ahead of him. As much as I'm pulling for Martinek he has done even less than Scott to this point.

mainegiantsfan
05-14-2012, 10:58 PM
If he had shown more, he would have had more playing time. He had a fumble problem in college, which may have contributed to his inactivity.He wasn't able to move ahead of Ware, which shouldn't have been too difficult even for a rookie.

NoHuddle10
05-14-2012, 11:18 PM
This is a genius move by our FO in my opinion and here is why.

Our RB group has a lot of potential, but there are some question marks. Other than Bradshaw, who else of our group has proven the ability to block? Scott? No. Wilson? No Ware? A little bit, but I dont trust him protecting Eli. Fact is, after Bradshaw there really isnt any proven guy that can come in and block NFL linebackers consistantly, and Bradshaw is by no means a lock to play all 16. Scott and Wilson have ZERO NFL experience. I have a ton of faith in Wilson's potential as a feature back, but other than Bradshaw the rest of our running backs have less than 100 NFL carries combined. Bringing in an extra guy that has no huge weakness other than lack of elite athleticism is a hedge play. Watcing tape of this kid one thing is for sure, he is very good at blocking and seems to really enjoy blocking! Bradshaw and Jacobs arent the best athletes, Joe seems to be a similar guy. Great blocker, solid, smart, no history of fumbles, can catch the ball out of the backfield, can back up full back, can be used as a tight end in certain formations, I mean he is a huge insurance policy and could pay great dividends having around.

Who knows, he might not even make the team and for the record I think Wilson will be a star. I honestly think Joe could be a perfect compliment to a guy like Wilson sometime in the future.

Obviously for now Bradshaw is our guy, and the best running back on our team. But nobody can say they fully trust Bradshaw's ability to stay healthy all of this year, next year, and so on....

DownWitJPP
05-14-2012, 11:42 PM

i don't get why people are bringing up his HS stats to make a point about NFL football

i dont get why people need to make comments like these

I put his HS stats to make a point that the kid is not some slouch, he knows how to run the ball. There are a bunch of running backs in the NFL from Jersey...and this guy had more yards than all of them. .I gave my full opinion on him in another thread

giantman8493
05-14-2012, 11:47 PM
its not like he is actually taking a roster spot... i doubt he will make the team

buddy33
05-15-2012, 07:38 AM
Scott was a rookie in a lock out season and he showed them enough that they carried him as their 4th RB. Lol. Say what you will about Ware, but he is a veteran and knows the offense. He is ahead of a rookie especially in a lock out season.

Back to Martinek, I just get the feeling he has that "IT" factor. Not saying they are goin to find a Cruz every year, but Martinek seems to fit that same role this year. Jersey kid that went undrafted, gets a chance to try out for the local team, and then makes the most of it.

nygsb42champs
05-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Competition never hurts.

G-Man67
05-15-2012, 08:28 AM
naturally he is being brought in to play FB and while he wouldn't "beat out" Hynoski ... you have injuries and reps</P>

players get hurt and even ifnobody gets hurt, you need a few guys to absorb all the reps</P>

MattMeyerBud
05-15-2012, 08:38 AM
If he had shown more, he would have had more playing time. He had a fumble problem in college, which may have contributed to his inactivity.He wasn't able to move ahead of Ware, which shouldn't have been too difficult even for a rookie.

actually it would be very hard for a rookie to take the reps that Ware took. I am not the biggest Ware fan and know hes not the greatest wtih the ball but hes able to run hard, catch the ball, and pass block. Pass blocking is the most critical thing, do u remember when Bradshaw sucked at it and got eli killed?

Was the only time i saw eli grab a teammate and out him.

the more telling thing is that Scott was kept on the team as a 4th RB

MattMeyerBud
05-15-2012, 08:39 AM

i dont get why people need to make comments like these

I put his HS stats to make a point that the kid is not some slouch, he knows how to run the ball. There are a bunch of running backs in the NFL from Jersey...and this guy had more yards than all of them. .I gave my full opinion on him in another thread

because HS has nothing to do with anything professional. You might as well bring up his basketball stats

GameTime
05-15-2012, 08:47 AM
naturally he is being brought in to play FB and while he wouldn't "beat out" Hynoski ... you have injuries and reps</P>

players get hurt and even ifnobody gets hurt, you need a few guys to absorb all the reps</P>

</P>

a 224 pound FB in the NFL??.......no way. He would be severely limited in spot duty in that regard.</P>

I like the kid but he will be more of an RB if anything IMO. </P>

</P>

Mohann
05-17-2012, 11:06 AM
What makes me scratch my head is why people stress so much about fringe players. He's a hybrid, a heavy RB that can fill in at FB in an emergency. If he makes the team as say the fourth RB, how much are you expecting from the 4th RB on the team? He as big a coin toss as most rookies in the NFL. So what? I'm really rooting for this guy. I don't know much about him, but I'd love for him to get maybe 50 carries for 200+yds and make a couple highlight plays. If he does better then he's a big success.

thomsoad
05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
What makes me scratch my head is why people stress so much about fringe players. He's a hybrid, a heavy RB that can fill in at FB in an emergency. If he makes the team as say the fourth RB, how much are you expecting from the 4th RB on the team? He as big a coin toss as most rookies in the NFL. So what? I'm really rooting for this guy. I don't know much about him, but I'd love for him to get maybe 50 carries for 200+yds and make a couple highlight plays. If he does better then he's a big success.

Where in my OP did i stress about this guy? I simply wondered where he was supposed to fit since A) He is too small to be a FB. B) ran the ball only 24 times his senior year and C) Its rookie mini camp...what else is there that you wanna talk about?

appodictic
05-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Hynoski is not a lock. He is one of those guys part responsible for the giants not running well this year. he has a handful of catches and blocks decent. If we can replace maningham we can replace hynoski.

Mohann
05-17-2012, 10:14 PM

Where in my OP did i stress about this guy? I simply wondered where he was supposed to fit since A) He is too small to be a FB. B) ran the ball only 24 times his senior year and C) Its rookie mini camp...what else is there that you wanna talk about?

It bothered you enough to start a thread and post the same information on it several times. JR and TC know more about the team and the player than me. I'll wait and see how it plays out, and not get upset.

As far as your points go...
A. I never said he'd be a FB, I said he'd be a hybrid. Playing a few plays as a FB and most as a RB.
B. So what? That means nothing. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
C. Good point, but put him in perspective. He's a fringe player, probably won't make the team. Anyone that we replace him with will be a fringe player that is unlikely to make the team. So you don't see any potential in him? So what? JR and TC did. Do you know more than them? Lighten up man.