PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember the USFL

giants-_-
05-12-2012, 04:13 PM
They are showing a documentary on it right now on abc sports..i would like spring football...lol

ebick
05-12-2012, 04:32 PM
i would like spring football

The problem is that the mighty NFL machine sees anything like that as "competition" and seeks to crush it like a bug.....and of course some of these foolish attempts have then decided to move from spring to the fall and compete with the NFL, and we all know how that ends.

Toadofsteel
05-12-2012, 06:04 PM
What if the USFL Hadn't folded? (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d825ef027/N-if-L-What-if-the-USFL-hadn-t-folded)

SweetZombieJesus
05-12-2012, 07:36 PM

The problem is that the mighty NFL machine sees anything like that as "competition" and seeks to crush it like a bug.....and of course some of these foolish attempts have then decided to move from spring to the fall and compete with the NFL, and we all know how that ends.

It's more than that. They had their own World League in two incarnations and both had terrible play. The Arena League is back (they skipped a season during the financial crisis) and as much as I try to like it and keep giving it 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances I just can't get into it.

Roosevelt
05-12-2012, 07:51 PM
We had quite a few guys play for us after the USFL folded. Bart Oates, Mo Carthon, and Hershal Walker come to mind. Steve Young was also a USFL'er. Anyone else?

Drez
05-12-2012, 08:01 PM
We had quite a few guys play for us after the USFL folded. Bart Oates, Mo Carthon, and Hershal Walker come to mind. Steve Young was also a USFL'er. Anyone else?

Didn't both Kelly and Moon start in the USFL?

Roosevelt
05-12-2012, 08:19 PM

Yes, I think you're right.

Rat_bastich
05-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Wasn't Walker a New Jersey General?

Actually here is a list:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/nflplayers2.htm

giantman8493
05-12-2012, 08:59 PM
We had quite a few guys play for us after the USFL folded.* Bart Oates, Mo Carthon, and Hershal Walker come to mind.* Steve Young was also a USFL'er.* Anyone else?

John Starks?

gumby742
05-12-2012, 09:57 PM
We had quite a few guys play for us after the USFL folded.* Bart Oates, Mo Carthon, and Hershal Walker come to mind.* Steve Young was also a USFL'er.* Anyone else?

John Starks?
I actually watched the USFL quite a bit as a kid. To add to the list.l

Jim Kelly, Ricky Sanders, Warren Moon, Bobby Hebert, Mike Rozier, Gary Clark,. And who could forget when we got Doug Flutie to replace Brian Sipe! And Duh, Reggie White from the Memphis Showboats. lol.

For whatever reason the name Marcus Dupree sticks out also.

redbeardxxv
05-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Seemed like it made more sense than what they keep trying to do. I mean NFL is top dog, why have a league that plays in competition??
Wouldn't it make more sense to start the alternative league in late Feb, when we all start missing Sunday Football??

Giants10Joe
05-12-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm glad they folded. It's more fun to have all the best players in one league. While spring and summer football would have been great, can you imagine how annoying it would get with everyone constantly asking which is the better league and if teams from one league could win in the other league (assuming, of course, that the USFL did manage to become a legitimate competitor for the top talent)?

ebick
05-12-2012, 11:26 PM

It's more than that.* They had their own World League in two incarnations and both had terrible play.* The Arena League is back (they skipped a season during the financial crisis) and as much as I try to like it and keep giving it 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances I just can't get into it.

My point was what if the NFL didn't fear it as competition and actually embraced and nurtured it? They NFL did plenty to ensure it wasn't successful. As for the level of play, I'm sure the level of play in the NFL was not what it is now when it first started.

Jet-Blue
05-13-2012, 01:36 AM
There was just an article on NFL.com about bringing the USFL back. They were talking about 8 teams to start, a Spring Schedule and to be a more like a Minor League NFL. The teams would not be in any NFL Markets/Towns.

AP Article:

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — The USFL is back in business.

Well, almost.

A reincarnation of the league, with an entirely different business model, plans to kick off in March. On Thursday, it included Hall of Fame receiver Fred Biletnikoff among its advisers.

Biletnikoff will consult on football operations for the league, which originally went out of business in 1987 after losing millions of dollars and, despite winning a lawsuit against the NFL, being awarded just $3 in indemnities. That version unwisely chose to challenge the NFL, while this one will be more of a developmental league.

"We will not try to compete with the NFL at all," said CEO Jaime Cuadra after adding Biletnikoff and James Bailey, an executive for the Cleveland Browns and then the Baltimore Ravens for 21 years, to the USFL's board of advisers. The board will be responsible for guiding USFL management on various areas of operations, eventually focusing on a search for the league's commissioner.

"We will play in markets where there are no NFL teams or major league baseball teams. It's a league for guys who are on the bubble for making NFL teams, and we will have complete open access for the NFL. We want to build a model that is sustainable."

The USFL is looking at a 14-game season from March until June in eight cities. Its players would then be free to join NFL clubs at their training camps.

All player and coach contracts will be owned by the league, with salaries not approaching anything the NFL offers.

Cities currently being considered are Portland, Ore.; Salt Lake City; San Antonio or Austin, Texas; Columbus or Akron, Ohio; Oklahoma City; Omaha, Neb.; Raleigh/Durham, N.C.; Birmingham, Ala.; and Memphis, Tenn.

"These are cities with underutilized facilities at that time of year," Cuadra said.

Nearly all of them also have avid college football followings, something the USFL hopes to draw from. Cuadra said regional draft picks would be used so that, say, a player who attended Oregon or Oregon State would wind up with a Portland franchise.

One critical item the USFL has only begun to investigate is a television partner. The UFL, which finished its third season in the fall of 2011 with five teams, has struggled to find a TV audience.

Of course, it plays its games during the NFL schedule. The USFL will avoid such dead-end conflicts.

"We have nothing lined up yet, and we are doing our research and investigating the landscape of sports television today, which is ever-changing," Cuadra said.

Also advising the new USFL is Jim Steeg, who spent 35 years in the NFL, is a former COO of the San Diego Chargers, and was the league's main organizers of the Super Bowl for 26 years as senior vice president of special events.

-- The Associated Press

RagTime Blue
05-13-2012, 03:40 AM
The NJ Generals were my first team. I remember very obnoxious fans (almost Philly-style), horrible halftime shows, and almost never winning a home game in the first couple seasons. But God, it was fun!!!

As a kid, I had no idea that those players were any less talented than the ones on the Jets or Giants.

But I was a fan of Maurice Carthon way before I was a fan of the Giants. It was only after the league folded that I began paying closer attention to the NFL.

That's probably when I was 11 years old or so.

Here (http://30for30.espn.com/film/small-potatoes-who-killed-the-usfl.html) is a trailer to a great documentary on USFL.

krygny
05-13-2012, 06:45 AM

I don't know if Moon played in the USFL but I think he played in the CFL first.

SweetZombieJesus
05-13-2012, 06:57 AM
My point was what if the NFL didn't fear it as competition and actually embraced and nurtured it? They NFL did plenty to ensure it wasn't successful. As for the level of play, I'm sure the level of play in the NFL was not what it is now when it first started.

And my point is they did just that with both incarnations of the World League and with the Arena Football League. World League was created by the NFL to give us spring football AND make the sport more popular in Europe; the NFL didn't start the Arena League but bought it to nurture it.

In both cases the NFL would like to encourage a "farm system" and give the guys who are stuck on practice squads a chance to play.

We also have the more recent XFL example that lasted only one season (my memory is the NFL largely ignored it)... And the new UFL is in what its 3rd season now? But it only has 6 teams or so and made the mistake of trying to play at the same time as the NFL.

The NFL will never "embrace and nurture" a rival league; it half-heartedly nurtures the alternate leagues that it already owns.

I attribute this to the culture of the old school families (including the Maras) -- in the early days the NFL was no juggernaut and teams came and went like crazy... The league did not find mainstream success until after "The Greatest Game Ever Played", the 1958 Giants-Colts championship. In fact that's what lead to the creation of the AFL -- wealthy investors wanted NFL expansion teams and when turned down started their own rival league. This was a huge threat to the league that had spent 40 years trying to survive and the two did go to WAR before merging.

If memory serves there were FOUR previous attempts at rival leagues called "AFL", the one that took root was the fifth; they kept recycling the name. There was also a rival league called the "All American Football League" which gave us the 49ers and Browns after they folded. Rival leagues came and went and aside from the AFL we came to know, they all failed.

There's a long history of this stuff never working out.

"Competition is a sin" -- John D. Rockefeller

Jet-Blue
05-13-2012, 08:23 AM
I think football has really grown in popularity since the 1980’s and the USFL. I think if they played at Metlife, charged $35 for tickets, free parking and played in the Spring, you get people going. I think a lot of the fans of the Jets or the Giants who liked going to games, but can’t go now because of the prices might go see a Jet or Giant “Farm Team” play.

miked1958
05-13-2012, 09:08 AM
I don't know... Didn't work before and I don't see why it would work now

keyofgmen
05-13-2012, 09:21 AM
NY Giants season ticket holder since 1955.....

NJ Generals season ticket holder for 2 years... LOL...