PDA

View Full Version : How long before Wilson starts?

dayeh33
05-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Obviously Bradshaw has a lot left in the tank if he can remain healthy, but what if Wilson comes into next season and shines with his limited carries? Do you think he has a shot to take Bradshaws job? If so how long do you think it will take before he is the starter?

buddy33
05-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Slow down. He was just drafted and has not seen one second of pro football yet. What about Scott?

Honestly I don know how long Bradshaw will be on the team. I mean I hope he finishes his career with the Giants, but with his injuries and the salary cap issues always being what the are we have no idea how long he will be around.

TuckYou
05-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Honestly, even being a first round pick, he is buried on the depth chart. Bradshaw and Ware are def ahead of him, and Scott might be as well. Wilson needs to learn how to pick up a blitz for Eli and how to hold the ball more securely before he gets snaps. I see him playing the role Scott did last season to be honest.

But once he learns that, yeah, he could be a stud RB. It could be a few years though.

BeatYale
05-13-2012, 04:09 PM
What about Scott?

He's not a first round draft pick.

Wilson wasn't drafted to start splitting carries with Bradshaw 3 years from now. ASAP is the time frame. It comes down to how quickly he can learn.

AceOspadZ4
05-13-2012, 04:11 PM
wilson will be ahead of both Scott and Ware... I get that people like what Scott showed last preseason but theres a reason Wilson was our first round pick. He will be given every opportunity to have an impact this season

titwio
05-13-2012, 04:17 PM
I don't see any time frame for Wilson to be thrust into a starting role. The fact of the matter is they just gave Bradshaw a nice size contract and on top of that...he knows the system well and is a better overall blocker and protector for Eli.

The Giants have remained a RB by committee so I don't think just because Wilson was a 1st round pick that'll they'll be some time table for him. I think the Giants like it just fine adding another weapon to the backfield and depending on future performances between the players... will make up the outcome of how the RB corps shape up...IMO of course.

05-13-2012, 04:20 PM
wilson will be ahead of both Scott and Ware... I get that people like what Scott showed last preseason but theres a reason Wilson was our first round pick. He will be given every opportunity to have an impact this season
I absolutely agree. 1st round pick, even end of it, he'll play and probably start by week 9 due to wear down of Bradshaw.

TuckYou
05-13-2012, 04:23 PM

Just because we picked him in the 1st doesn't mean he is the automatic starter or gets playing time in front of the vets. Ware may be limited in what he brings to the table, but he can protect Eli and can hold on to the rock. Wilson is raw on both those aspects. Coughlin will not play him much until he can prove he can do both. Ware is the #2 right now, like it or not. Bradshaw said he will teach Wilson the tricks of the trade though, so I expect Wilson to pick it up quickly.

Vtgmenfan89
05-13-2012, 04:37 PM
He will start in Bradshaw's 1st missed game due to ankle injury this season. Unless he puts on the ground frequently in previous reg/preseason games

titwio
05-13-2012, 04:45 PM
He will start in Bradshaw's 1st missed game due to ankle injury this season. Unless he puts on the ground frequently in previous reg/preseason games

A lot of people think AB is automatically going to miss games this year. Last year was the first time I remember in his career where he missed games...he's always had the ankle troubles but he plays hurt...and is still productive. He had a broken bone in his foot last year and wanted to play but the doctors kept him out even though he finished the season off with it not healed. Most players wouldn't have even been playing.

I also don't think Wilson automatically will start if AB were to miss time...I think that's just your opinion but I'd expect that decision to come after the Giants see exactly how well he can protect Eli...If he's not up to speed then Ware would most likely get the start.

egyptian420
05-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Honestly, even being a first round pick, he is buried on the depth chart. Bradshaw and Ware are def ahead of him, and Scott might be as well. Wilson needs to learn how to pick up a blitz for Eli and how to hold the ball more securely before he gets snaps. <font size="4">I see him playing the role Scott did last season to be honest</font>.

But once he learns that, yeah, he could be a stud RB. It could be a few years though.
Scott had 5 carries for 16 yards last year....you're nuts if you think we spent a first round draft pick for that kind of production.

I actually think he'll be getting most of the carries by the end of the season.

TuckYou
05-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Honestly, even being a first round pick, he is buried on the depth chart. Bradshaw and Ware are def ahead of him, and Scott might be as well. Wilson needs to learn how to pick up a blitz for Eli and how to hold the ball more securely before he gets snaps. <font size="4">I see him playing the role Scott did last season to be honest</font>.

Scott had 5 carries for 16 yards last year....you're nuts if you think we spent a first round draft pick for that kind of production.

I actually think he'll be getting most of the carries by the end of the season.

If he doesn't improve on picking up the blitz or holding on to the ball, he won't be back there. If he does, he obviously will have more talent then Scott. No way he is our #1 back though, over Bradshaw.

AceOspadZ4
05-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Im sure the giants are confident that he can learn to pick up the blitz and curenhis fumbling issues. As far as taking over for Bradshaw, i dont think thats the right way to put it. Everyone knows this league has turned into a two back league. Interesting stat, in 2003, 14 running backs had 300+ carries, last year 2 of them did. The days of the work horse back are long past. Itll simply be our two most talented backs getting the majority of the touches, in my opinion that will be Bradshaw and Wilson. There is a reason Da'Rell Scott did not get much work last year, and he doesnt get bonus points for being there for a season, thats not how it works.

jomo
05-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Rookie running backs on this team don't get major time until they prove they can protect the ball and protect the quarterback. Easy does it. It will all reveal itself in good time.

Spizi
05-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Rookie running backs on this team don't get major time until they prove they can protect the ball and protect the quarterback. Easy does it. It will all reveal itself in good time.

And which of these "rookie running backs" have been a first round pick, or even a day 2 pick for that matter?? Wilson should without a doubt be the number 2 back going into week one barring any injuries. He is the most naturally talented back on the roster.

jomo
05-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Rookie running backs on this team don't get major time until they prove they can protect the ball and protect the quarterback. Easy does it. It will all reveal itself in good time. And which of these "rookie running backs" have been a first round pick, or even a day 2 pick for that matter?? Wilson should without a doubt be the number 2 back going into week one barring any injuries. He is the most naturally talented back on the roster.Who said he wasn't the #2 back? And who said he isn't the most naturally talented back on the roster? He has more talent than Ware's left elbow. lol</P>

Thankfully, under Coughlin this is a meritocracy. Players play because they are ready and they are the best. First round picks don't start because of something arbitrary like that. What I was trying to say was that he will have to show that he is secure with the ball and can handle the pass protection duties that come with the position. I expect he can do that but the coaches will spoon feed him since we have a #1 right now in AB. Everything we get from Wilson, and it could be alot, will be gravy.</P>

slipknottin
05-13-2012, 08:53 PM
as soon as bradshaw gets hurt.

Captain Chaos
05-13-2012, 08:54 PM
A couple of years!

B&RWarrior
05-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Rookie running backs on this team don't get major time until they prove they can protect the ball and protect the quarterback. Easy does it. It will all reveal itself in good time. And which of these "rookie running backs" have been a first round pick, or even a day 2 pick for that matter?? Wilson should without a doubt be the number 2 back going into week one barring any injuries. He is the most naturally talented back on the roster.Who said he wasn't the #2 back? And who said he isn't the most naturally talented back on the roster? He has more talent than Ware's left elbow. lol</P>

Thankfully, under Coughlin this is a meritocracy. Players play because they are ready and they are the best. First round picks don't start because of something arbitrary like that. What I was trying to say was that he will have to show that he is secure with the ball and can handle the pass protection duties that come with the position. I expect he can do that but the coaches will spoon feed him since we have a #1 right now in AB. Everything we get from Wilson, and it could be alot, will be gravy.</P>

I say he's not the most talented RB on the roster. AB is a better more instinctive runner and runs with more power. Wilson is faster than AB and therefore more of a home run threat. I watched AB's Marshall highlights and compared them to Wilson's highlights. It was easy to see who was the better runner- AB all the way.

Watch the tape. AB makes a second and third cut and makes more people miss than Wilson.

I think WIlson is good but let's not undervalue what AB brings to the table. AB is a PROVEN commodity. Best back on the team bar none!!

NorwoodBlue
05-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Really, this is kind of a screwy question, Jacobs "started" games last year that he ended up with six carries in. Starting doesn't mean squat except to a few egomaniac players. The real question should be how long before he gets significant playing time. I think that depends on his ability to learn the playbook, get used to the speed of the pro game (which means stopping some of his sand-lot east-west running and waiting for holes to open, then hitting them fast), how he does in preseason, and if he shows that he can avoid fumbling while being productive. If he makes good progress on all these fronts during preseason, they will have a package for him, and he will get significant time from game #1. If he shows weakness in any of those areas, you may not really see a lot of him until the second half of the season. I'm thinking with the talent this guy has, he's going to be on the field right off the bat.

buddy33
05-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Bradshaw was a 7th round pick. He got his chance and so will Scott. They must have liked something about Scott for them to keep him around with Bradshaw, Jacobs, and Ware.

TuckYou
05-13-2012, 09:41 PM
He is the most naturally talented back on the roster.

That is yet to be determined. I have to see him on the field first. Bradshaw has tons of talent. So did Ron Dayne, in college.

appodictic
05-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Giants running backs need to learn to protect eli. He will not take a snap until he proves he can.

BigBlue1971
05-13-2012, 10:01 PM
i think camp and the preseason will determine where Wilson will be on the depth chart!</P>

i do believe its his job to lose as the #2. </P>

personally i think by mid season he will be hard to keep off the field!</P>

he could be the clear starter in one more year!</P>

Spizi
05-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Watch the tape. AB makes a second and third cut and makes more people miss than Wilson.

Wilson lead the NATION in yards after contact with 990. I highly doubt bradshaw made more people miss than Wilson.

slipknottin
05-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Wilson lead the NATION in yards after contact with 990. I highly doubt bradshaw made more people miss than Wilson.

Cant compare college to the NFL.

Spizi
05-13-2012, 10:15 PM

He was talking about Bradshaws Marshall highlights vs Wilson's VT highlights.

appodictic
05-14-2012, 12:50 AM

Bradshaw is usually among the top in the <font color="#ff0000">NFL</font> in yards after contact.

BlueSanta
05-14-2012, 02:19 AM

Bradshaw is usually among the top in the <font color="#ff0000">NFL</font> in yards after contact.

He wasn't last year, not even close. In fact, as a team, we were 3rd from last in yards after contact per rush during the regular season. But, our numbers did improved during the post season.

However, I do not think College stats can be used to justify putting a player over another in the NFL.

Wilson will see the field when he can pass protect to TCs liking.

B&RWarrior
05-14-2012, 08:52 AM

he wasn't making people miss he was running through tackles. He doesn't cut like AB. The kid is good, but AB is more elusive in my opinion. I hope he proves me wrong, better for the Giants. As a fan I can't lose on this one.

gumby742
05-14-2012, 09:19 AM
depends on how soon he learns how to block imo

ralphpal
05-14-2012, 09:31 AM
If he could pick up the blitz and not fumble . Which is saying alot for a rookie especially the blitz . Especially if he is patience for his blockers and learns not to run backwards when nothing is there (which looks hard for him ). Then he should start playing right away. Starting if A.B. gets hurt .
How long do you think Trent Richardson is going to sit . He wasnt a 1st round pick because hes not good. Now just because he is a 1st round pick doesnt mean he is going to play if he cant do those things but if he can then i believe he is a 1st round pick because he deseerves it . So to me that means he plays great

TuckYou
05-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Watch the tape. AB makes a second and third cut and makes more people miss than Wilson. Wilson lead the NATION in yards after contact with 990. I highly doubt bradshaw made more people miss than Wilson.</P>

Wilson is going to have to play pretty damn well to unseat Bradshaw as the starter.</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6OkNpBWCv0</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8NboUiKo3Q&amp;feature=related</P>

I wish they showed more of his blocking but I cant find any. He is great at picking up the blitz now.</P>

nhpgiantsfan
05-14-2012, 09:48 AM
He will not see quatlity playing time until he received Coughlin's blessing, that he can hold onto the ball, and protect the quarterback. Until then he will have the pre-season and mop up time at the end of games. TC doesnt mess around with rookie running backs until he is confident that they will not fumble or get Eli killed. Remember when Darell Scott had that big fumble this year. TC stated after the game that he made a mistake putting the "rookie" in the game at that situation. Scott didnt sniff the field pretty much for the rest of the season. He definately wont be the #2 back until he earns TC's trust.

Snappinnecks
05-14-2012, 09:57 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Spizi
05-14-2012, 02:22 PM
dp

Spizi
05-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Bradshaw was 32nd in the league in yards after contact per attempt. 25th in total yards after contact...

jakegibbs
05-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Obviously Bradshaw has a lot left in the tank if he can remain healthy, but what if Wilson comes into next season and shines with his limited carries? Do you think he has a shot to take Bradshaws job? If so how long do you think it will take before he is the starter?

Oh about midway through next season or the season after that would be my guess unless Bradshaw & Ware both go down due to injury.

jomo
05-14-2012, 02:54 PM

I say he's not the most talented RB on the roster. AB is a better more instinctive runner and runs with more power. Wilson is faster than AB and therefore more of a home run threat. I watched AB's Marshall highlights and compared them to Wilson's highlights. It was easy to see who was the better runner- AB all the way.

I think WIlson is good but let's not undervalue what AB brings to the table. AB is a PROVEN commodity. Best back on the team bar none!!Let's play this one out. AB plays to form and Wilson delivers on the promise of being our next great back. AB would remain the starter this year, split time next year and be our #2 the following year. The problem with that is AB has injury issues which could accellerate Wilson's playing time. In addition, Wilson is not a known quantity in either the run game of the protection game so we'll just have to let it play out. Although I have very high hopes for Wilson, I can't shake the names Dayne, Wheatley and Woolfolk from my head. I would always choose the known commodity out of the blocks and hope that he stays healthy.

BeatYale
05-15-2012, 09:09 PM
RB has typically been one of the easier positions to develop in the NFL. That's why I believe he'll be sharing the load with Bradshaw soon enough. I doubt Ware and Scott combined will have more carries than Wilson by the time the seasons over.

If he was a mid to late round draft pick I wouldn't be thinking this way. He's going to get a lot more attention from coaches than Ware or Scott.

fourth&forever
05-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Giants like to share the RB load by committee. The first team roster does not include all the contributing players. 'Starters' split time at RB.

giantsfan420
05-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Im seriously baffled how people are assuming wilson wont get a legit role from day one.

We all know bradshaw is tough as nails, but also plagued with a tough ankle/feet situation...he couldnt be a 20solid carries plus a game if we wanted to, hed break down.

We r gonna need an additonal 10 plus carries from another back, and a few for another one. Ware has shown he can be an ok couple of touches a game rb...he still has never broken one if he has i cant remember it...

So, our choices right now r only scott (who had fumbling issues himself last season) ware (who does not provide a dynamic that defenses have to respect, ware isnt a threat) and wilson (a first rd pick, elite speed agility and athleticism who runs with power and excellent quickness)...tc is gonna be on top of the wilson fumble/protection issue...

People r still acting like we have the luxury of jacobs still in ware or something...we dont. Ware will not cut it as a feature type back, i know bradshaw starts but we r a two feature run attack...wilson was taken in large part to this issue...

Wilson wouldnt start for a couple of years tho imo, unless he jjst dominates and outperforms bradshaw which i dont think will happen. Wilso will still be featured tho n if bshaw needs a game or two off, wilson takes on his role

nevada11
05-15-2012, 11:29 PM

Bradshaw was 32nd in the league in yards after contact per attempt. 25th in total yards after contact...

that stat has to be wrong. wow, where did you get that brother?

Spizi
05-15-2012, 11:34 PM

that stat has to be wrong. wow, where did you get that brother?

profootballfocus.com. they grade every player on every play. the Giants were actually one of four NFL teams to use their detailed stats last year because of how accurate and useful they are. it's a paid membership to see the stats so I can't send you a link. I'll put up a screen shot soon

the yco column is yards after contact
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb348/Jimmy_Spinola/ahmade-1.png

JMFP2
05-15-2012, 11:46 PM
</P>

Probably toward the end of the season. I think Bradshaw's feet won't hold up for a full season, so it will be a matter of needing to get Wilson in there. And once in, that will likely be it.</P>

JJC7301
05-16-2012, 12:03 AM
What about Scott?

He's not a first round draft pick.

Wilson wasn't drafted to start splitting carries with Bradshaw 3 years from now. ASAP is the time frame. It comes down to how quickly he can learn.
He'll be given a fair shot to win it this year, but there's no rush as long as AB can get on the field and perform. I think a lot of it has to do with AB's ability to stay healthy.

Neverend
05-31-2012, 11:52 PM
profootballfocus.com. they grade every player on every play. the Giants were actually one of four NFL teams to use their detailed stats last year because of how accurate and useful they are. it's a paid membership to see the stats so I can't send you a link. I'll put up a screen shot soon

Damn, I'd kill for pff to make their stats public. would love to see the number grades game-by-game with our offensive/defensive lineman

Toadofsteel
06-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Whoever between Scott and Wilson fixes their fumbling and pass protection issues first, will be the 2nd RB. Ware gets cut, unless neither of the above pass protect well.

SweetZombieJesus
06-01-2012, 08:48 AM
I actually disagree about Bradshaw I think he's very close to the end. You gotta remember with RBs it's a precipitous drop off not a slow decline... I like Bradshaw but he's just finished his 5th season, has nagging injuries, and now the load is going to fall squarely on his shoulders as until proven otherwise there is no 1-2 punch.

We'd be lucky to get 1-2 more years of productivity out of him; I'm not expecting it.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-01-2012, 09:11 AM

Shockeystays08
06-01-2012, 10:31 AM
I don't see any time frame for Wilson to be thrust into a starting role. The fact of the matter is they just gave Bradshaw a nice size contract and on top of that...he knows the system well and is a better overall blocker and protector for Eli.

The Giants have remained a RB by committee so I don't think just because Wilson was a 1st round pick that'll they'll be some time table for him. I think the Giants like it just fine adding another weapon to the backfield and depending on future performances between the players... will make up the outcome of
how the RB corps shape up...IMO of course.

Good assessment!

Spizi
06-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Damn, I'd kill for pff to make their stats public. would love to see the number grades game-by-game with our offensive/defensive lineman

It's actually really affordable now. It used to be like 90 a year now it's on 30 for a whole year plus they update the stats each week during the season.

miked1958
06-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Never.. You know the giants run a system that uses multiple Running backs. So he will get plenty of playing time along with AB, Scott, joe m, etc

miked1958
06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Unless AN is out injured for several games he won't start over him