PDA

View Full Version : Herzlich is our MLB

B&RWarrior
05-14-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm one for bold predictions. So let me be the first to tell the world that Herzlich will secure the MLB starting role in camp this summer. Completing a truly wondrous comeback story.

I think Fewell sees the flaw in putting Boley at MLB with him saying that as of now Blackburn is his starting MLB. Ijust can't see Blackburn as our starter at MLB and I don't think RIvers fits the mold either.

The Herzlich era at MLB begins this fall. He will lay down the law!

jomo
05-14-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm one for bold predictions. So let me be the first to tell the world that Herzlich will secure the MLB starting role in camp this summer. Completing a truly wondrous comeback story.

I think Fewell sees the flaw in putting Boley at MLB with him saying that as of now Blackburn is his starting MLB. Ijust can't see Blackburn as our starter at MLB and I don't think RIvers fits the mold either.

The Herzlich era at MLB begins this fall. He will lay down the law!If Herzlich is our starter it won't be because Backburn's skills have eroded. He is still pretty young and will come back ready to defend his position. That means that Herzlich has passed him in terms of on field performance which would be a very good thing for us and a great story as well (though Blackburn's story is pretty nice too). Go Giants!!

jakegibbs
05-14-2012, 04:04 PM

The Herzlich era at MLB begins this fall. He will lay down the law!If Herzlich is our starter it won't be because Backburn's skills have eroded. He is still pretty young and will come back ready to defend his position. That means that Herzlich has passed him in terms of on field performance which would be a very good thing for us and a great story as well (though Blackburn's story is pretty nice too). Go Giants!!

+1 You got it nailed.

DVision
05-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Blackburn's biggest advantage at the moment is that he know's the defense like the back of his hand. He know's all 3 LB spots and he can get the defense aligned correctly.

If Herzlich can make the jump where Fewell feels comfortable with him making the calls and he doesn't have to limit what he does Herz has a good chance. He's got much more upside than Chase.

He must also stay healthy throughout the off season so that he can get as many reps as possible to prove he's ready.

Martyr
05-14-2012, 04:41 PM
I think one thing is clear the front office doesnt think Chase is the anwser at mlb. With the 1 year deal he signed the front office is hopeing someone makes the jump. As much as I like Blackburn I get the feeling he was only brought back incase Jones, Herzlich or whoever doesnt seize the oppertunity to start.</P>

Thinking back to last year 4 rookies lb's made the roster with no offseason so I really think anyone of them could find a lot of playing time.</P>

GMENAGAIN
05-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Blackburn's biggest advantage at the moment is that he know's the defense like the back of his hand. He know's all 3 LB spots and he can get the defense aligned correctly. If Herzlich can make the jump where Fewell feels comfortable with him making the calls and he doesn't have to limit what he does Herz has a good chance. He's got much more upside than Chase. He must also stay healthy throughout the off season so that he can get as many reps as possible to prove he's ready.</P>

I could be wrong, but I don't think that Chase was making any of the defensive calls last year. I think that was all Boley.</P>

slipknottin
05-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Lets be honest here, Chase is more athletic than Herzlich is.

Which isnt a compliment, for either.

Wouldnt be surprised if Rivers was eventual starter at Mike.

Redeyejedi
05-14-2012, 05:22 PM

Wouldnt be surprised if Rivers was eventual starter at Mike.The 3 Best LB's are Boley,Kiwi and either Williams or Rivers those are the guys who should play the most

Redeyejedi
05-14-2012, 05:22 PM

Wouldnt be surprised if Rivers was eventual starter at Mike.The 3 Best traditional LB's are Boley, Williams and Rivers

critters
05-14-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm a fan of Herzlich and will definitely be rooting for him... but if he's our starting MLB this year, my guess is that we go MLB with our first pick of the 2013 draft.

B&RWarrior
05-14-2012, 06:08 PM

Wouldnt be surprised if Rivers was the eventual starter at Mike.

Blackburn runs about a 4.8 and Herzy runs a 4.9. Neither one of them are super athletes.

lawl
05-14-2012, 06:11 PM

Blackburn runs about a 4.8 and Herzy runs a 4.9. Neither one of them are super athletes.

Blackburn ran a 4.69

B&RWarrior
05-14-2012, 06:27 PM

Blackburn ran a 4.69

correct

Spizi
05-14-2012, 06:53 PM

Blackburn ran a 4.69

correct

Where'd you guys hear that? He ran a 4.78 at his pro day. Either way the point is they are both pretty
stiff and unathletic.

B&RWarrior
05-14-2012, 07:23 PM

Blackburn ran a 4.69

correct

Where'd you guys hear that? He ran a 4.78 at his pro day. Either way the point is they are both pretty
stiff and unathletic.

I didn't realize how slow Herzlich was. Dontari Poe ran a 4.98. It's my post, but I'm starting to question whether there will be a discernible difference in Blackburn and Herlich's play. They're both instinct guys slow of foot. I like the Herzy story so I'm sticking with my prediction.

Spizi
05-14-2012, 07:29 PM

Blackburn ran a 4.69

correct

stiff and unathletic.

I didn't realize how slow Herzlich was. Dontari Poe ran a 4.98. It's my post, but I'm starting to question whether there will be a discernible difference in Blackburn and Herlich's play. They're both instinct guys slow of foot. I like the Herzy story so I'm sticking with my prediction.

It would be a great story but I would really like to see the athleticism and potential that caused the Bengals to draft Rivers at 9 overall.

B&RWarrior
05-14-2012, 07:39 PM

Blackburn ran a 4.69

correct

stiff and unathletic.

It would be a great story but I would really like to see the athleticism and potential that caused the Bengals to draft Rivers at 9 overall.

Yeah, but the guy with the best instincts and read and recognition skills always mans the middle. You don't have to have to be the best athlete. Well at least we have 3 guys competing for the position. Yes I am glad for the Rivers trade. May the best man win. That should have been the title of the post.

zimonami
05-14-2012, 08:13 PM

Blackburn ran a 4.69

correct

stiff and unathletic.

After the news about Chad Jones, I'm rooting even harder for Herzlich to be the feel good story this year. But, even if he doesn't start, Herz will contribute, especially on ST's, and he's still an inspiration... as is Jones.

miked1958
05-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Mark is a possible option. but we have lots of options at that position and that is a good thing

MattMeyerBud
05-14-2012, 08:29 PM

its not really that bold seeing as how he got hte starting job before he got injured.

Def a possibility... but for now its Blackburns role

btw, winky face to those who thought he didn't earn the spot going into this year

NorwoodBlue
05-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Herz was one of the very best college linebackers in the country, pre-cancer. I've never been a big believer that 40 yd dash times make a football player. Recognition of the play can give a LB with natural instincts a huge jump on a play that a faster , less instinctual LB will be trying to play catch-up on. Being in position and recognizing what's happening are where it's at, so making a case against a MLB based on sprint times doesn't really hold water. I think Herz has a really good chance of securing this job, and being good at it.

B&RWarrior
05-14-2012, 08:33 PM

its not really that bold seeing as how he got hte starting job before he got injured.

Def a possibility... but for now its Blackburns role

btw, winky face to those who thought he didn't earn the spot going into this year

I didn't know he was the starter.

MattMeyerBud
05-14-2012, 08:43 PM
well he started two games then got injured then kinda was never really healthy and by the time he was Blackburn was doing the damn thang

mainegiantsfan
05-14-2012, 09:09 PM
You make perfect sense. Speed is only an indicator. How fast was Butkus or Ray Nitski for that matter. If he regains his college form,, I wouldn't bet against him.

slipknottin
05-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Herz was one of the very best college linebackers in the country, pre-cancer.* I've never been a big believer that 40 yd dash times make a football player.*

STI. Speed, toughness, instincts.

Herz pre cancer was far far more athletic in every aspect than he is since. Not just in a 40, but laterally, turning, jumping, planting, everything. He is now stiff and unathletic.

Everyone keeps talking about the guy he was before cancer, but that is meaningless, there is no reason to believe he will just become that player again.

JJC7301
05-14-2012, 11:59 PM

+1. Agreed, so it would be nice. Blackburn is a good test for someone like Herz -- a very attainable goal to reach. I like Blackburn, but it's not like Harry Carson / Pepper Johnson we're talking there.

I would be shocked if Herz won the job this year, but would be very pleasantly surprised.

XxBigWhitxX
05-15-2012, 12:03 AM

Blackburn ran a 4.69

correct

stiff and unathletic.

I didn't realize how slow Herzlich was. Dontari Poe ran a 4.98. It's my post, but I'm starting to question whether there will be a discernible difference in Blackburn and Herlich's play. They're both instinct guys slow of foot. I like the Herzy story so I'm sticking with my prediction.Herzlich was posting 4.6 before cancer and though he might never be that fast again he is by no mean unathletic. The guy has some of the most fluid hips and coverage skills I've seen on a linebacker since Sean Lee and he might even beat him. If he is able to get back to that low 4.7 rang He'll be a beast.

GMENAGAIN
05-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Lets be honest here, Chase is more athletic than Herzlich is. Which isnt a compliment, for either. Wouldnt be surprised if Rivers was the eventual starter at Mike. Blackburn runs about a 4.8 and Herzy runs a 4.9. Neither one of them are super athletes. Blackburn ran a 4.69 correct Where'd you guys hear that? He ran a 4.78 at his pro day. Either way the point is they are both pretty stiff and unathletic. I didn't realize how slow Herzlich was. Dontari Poe ran a 4.98. It's my post, but I'm starting to question whether there will be a discernible difference in Blackburn and Herlich's play. They're both instinct guys slow of foot. I like the Herzy story so I'm sticking with my prediction.Herzlich was posting 4.6 before cancer and though he might never be that fast again he is by no mean unathletic. The guy has some of the most fluid hips and coverage skills I've seen on a linebacker since Sean Lee and he might even beat him. If he is able to get back to that low 4.7 rang He'll be a beast.</P>

LOL . . . Herzlich has a lot of good qualities, but being "fluid" in coverage is not one of them . . . . </P>

TuckYou
05-15-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm a fan of Herzlich and will definitely be rooting for him... but if he's our starting MLB this year, my guess is that we go MLB with our first pick of the 2013 draft.
</P>

Chase was our starting MLB last year, and we didnt even draft a MLB in the past draft. Giants are content with our LBs for some weird reason. I see a Boley - Rivers - Williams starting package, with Blackburn, Paysingerand Herz as backups.</P>

GMENAGAIN
05-15-2012, 11:07 AM
</P>

Chase was our starting MLB last year, and we didnt even draft a MLB in the past draft. Giants are content with our LBs for some weird reason. I see a Boley - Rivers - Williams starting package, with Blackburn, Paysingerand Herz as backups.</P>

</P>

Agreed. Giants don't seem to value the MLB position highly enough to targeta MLB in the first round . . . . although I'm sure that if some total MLB stud was there for them (for instance if Kuechley had dropped this year), they would pull the trigger </P>

Jiffy Jeff
05-15-2012, 12:14 PM

+1 You got it nailed.

I concur......."can't see Blackburn as our starter"???????

MattyD21
05-15-2012, 12:38 PM
As far as i can remember it was blackburn re-joining the troops and us going on a super bowl run. One that was led by a tough as nails Dfense . Blackburn Boley Williams, herz has to wait for his chance down the road

NYG 5
05-15-2012, 12:46 PM
don't count out Paysinger and Greg Jones. they could develop very well.

its about time the team's undrafted and late round linebackers started producing. they're about on par with Brandon Short and Dhani Jones, which is a good thing. so many years of worthless linebackers who can never even get onto the field, its nice to be able to field at least 2 solid starters and a good group of backups.

galaxy10
05-15-2012, 02:27 PM
I have been complaining about our LBs for years. I hope these guys can step it up this year. Obviously the FO sees some talent in the positions. Would like to see some of the LBs play like the LBs of old.

G-Man67
05-15-2012, 02:36 PM
competition is good

giantsfan420
05-15-2012, 04:18 PM

Blackburn ran a 4.69

correct

stiff and unathletic.

I didn't realize how slow Herzlich was. Dontari Poe ran a 4.98. It's my post, but I'm starting to question whether there will be a discernible difference in Blackburn and Herlich's play. They're both instinct guys slow of foot. I like the Herzy story so I'm sticking with my prediction.Herzlich was posting 4.6 before cancer and though he might never be that fast again he is by no mean unathletic. The guy has some of the most fluid hips and coverage skills I've seen on a linebacker since Sean Lee and he might even beat him. If he is able to get back to that low 4.7 rang He'll be a beast.

Thank u, finally someone stated something that makes sense. 40 times r ridiculous to use as an athleticism guide...herz looked very athletic to me, even last yr. Smooth movements, good lateral agility, pre cancer he was a beast, a def. 1rst round draft pick...

Someone said theres no reason to believe he could be the player he was pre cancer, well theres no reason to believe he cant get back to that level...

I believe herz is gonna have a breakout, tremendous season...hes got so much heart and has absolutely no quit in him...blackburn and jones are good players too...i also believe jones is going to be a solid player...

Our lb corp, was a weakness last season and i think it could be a strenght for us this season

NYG 5
05-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Blackburn ran a 4.69

correct

stiff and unathletic.

Thank u, finally someone stated something that makes sense. 40 times r ridiculous to use as an athleticism guide...herz looked very athletic to me, even last yr. Smooth movements, good lateral agility, pre cancer he was a beast, a def. 1rst round draft pick...

Someone said theres no reason to believe he could be the player he was pre cancer, well theres no reason to believe he cant get back to that level...

I believe herz is gonna have a breakout, tremendous season...hes got so much heart and has absolutely no quit in him...blackburn and jones are good players too...i also believe jones is going to be a solid player...

Our lb corp, was a weakness last season and i think it could be a strenght for us this season

40 times are nice. thats all they are, nice. i was more impressed with the agility drills they showed him doing with Mooch.

G.I. Ants
05-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Herz is in a great situation. He definitely has the talent to be the future starter for this franchise. He also benefits learning and backing up our never quite overachieving starter Chase Blackburn.

I also don't think LB was a weakness last year. The LB's played outstanding and that includes late round draft picks starting and playing big roles at the start of a season with no offseason program for the rookies. Kiwi & Boley made impacts last year.

Kruunch
05-15-2012, 04:49 PM

I'd be willing to bet our opening day LBers are: Kiwi (SAM), Boley (MIKE), JWill (WILL).

Chase and Herzlich are both depth at this point.

Rivers is a shot in the dark. Can't make the club from the tub!

Marvelousmik
05-15-2012, 05:25 PM

i got scared reading this. I thought something happened to Blackburn.

critters
05-15-2012, 06:49 PM
</p>

Chase was our starting MLB last year, and we didnt even draft a MLB in the past draft. Giants are content with our LBs for some weird reason. I see a Boley - Rivers - Williams starting package, with Blackburn, Paysingerand Herz as backups.</p>

Because of the options IMO. If Dont'a Hightower had been available, we would have taken him IMO.