PDA

View Full Version : Again...Why Didn´t We Resign Manningham?

pdladder
05-16-2012, 07:13 PM
For the money he went for to SF, doesn´t it make sense to keep him around for two more years while Randle, JJ and whoever else step up. Nicks is injury prone, I just never understood this. I know he is a knucklehead and makes more than his fair share of mistakes on the field, but he would be coming off of a decent year, a really good post season and with that confidence in your #3, man it just doesn´t sit well that we didn´t seem to ¨want¨ him.

Maybe I have the same jitters everyone had when Steve Smith and Boss left last year...

greenca190
05-16-2012, 07:17 PM
For the money he went for to SF, doesn´t it make sense to keep him around for two more years while Randle, JJ and whoever else step up.* Nicks is injury prone, I just never understood this.* I know he is a knucklehead and makes more than his fair share of mistakes on the field, but he would be coming off of a decent year, a really good post season and with that confidence in your #3, man it just doesn´t sit well that we didn´t seem to ¨want¨ him.

Maybe I have the same jitters everyone had when Steve Smith and Boss left last year...

He wanted to be a starter somewhere. We have no idea if he was offered a contract or not, and if he was, how much he was offered. He might have turned down a giants offer that was more than sf's for all we know, to get the chance to catch 85 a year. I understand his logic. Sign a two year deal with opportunity to perform in order to establish a higher worth in free agency two years from now. Make more money.

Secondly, how do you expect those guys to step up when manningham is already cemented in said role.

Diamondring
05-16-2012, 07:18 PM
It doesn't matter any more to me.

Vtgmenfan89
05-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Three main reasons: Cruz, Nicks and salary cap.

As far as Nicks being injury prone, he really hasn't missed that many games.... 5 or 6 total out of 3 seasons. Better than going on IR (god forbid) or missing half a season. Plus we just drafted Randle who I personally think has potential to be much more dangerous than Rio in this offense due to his size and speed. I'll take a 6'4 nfl ready nfl rookie opposite nicks with Cruz in the slot anyway than rio at 5'11 running the wrong routes all the time. Don't get me wrong I love what he did for this team especially in the super bowl and playoffs but I'm over it and ready to move on.

Neverend
05-16-2012, 07:44 PM
It bothers me too

If anyone blames the salary cap, they need to look at the numbers SF signed him too.

FlyingTruck
05-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Cause he's nothing special? I mean yeah he was good for us, but he's replaceable.

bigjeep
05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
For the money he went for to SF, doesn´t it make sense to keep him around for two more years while Randle, JJ and whoever else step up.* Nicks is injury prone, I just never understood this.* I know he is a knucklehead and makes more than his fair share of mistakes on the field, but he would be coming off of a decent year, a really good post season and with that confidence in your #3, man it just doesn´t sit well that we didn´t seem to ¨want¨ him.

Maybe Cruz and Nicks made Manningham look better then he really was? You heard what New Englands coach told his players. Keep the ball from going to Cruz or Nicks.

Yankees807
05-16-2012, 07:52 PM
He's def replaceable. I mean in a pass happy league we need targets for Eli,espec a slot wr. Everyone flipped about when Smith left saying he was irreplaceable...that turned out ok. I hope Hixon stays healthy and think Randle will fit in nicely.I dont trust Jernigan and Barden.

Off the subject....not much interest in Plax? I read a few rumors here and there about Tenn and Oakland interested.

RoanokeFan
05-16-2012, 08:30 PM
It bothers me too

If anyone blames the salary cap, they need to look at the numbers SF signed him too.

It's not just this year's salary cap that's at issue. Nicks and Cruz definitely need to be re-signed/extended in the near future. Better for the long haul to let Mario go than risk either Nicks or Cruz.

slipknottin
05-16-2012, 08:32 PM

lets see.

Manningham - 2 years, 7 mil total

Randle - 4 year 3.2 mil total

500 yards and 4 TDs is easily replaceable.

jparmer
05-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Manningwho?

NorwoodBlue
05-16-2012, 09:26 PM
I love this thread, the guy is the team savior because of one catch. If we'd lost to SF, Mario Manningham would have been to goat for dropping a sure touchdown pass in the endzone. But everybody forgets that because we ended up winning the game, with a huge boost from lady luck I might add.

Mario was a good receiver; but not worth top receiver money. He left because he wants to start; but he's far from a lock to start in SF.

Get over it, there are a pile of receivers just as good or better with a lot smaller price tag.

MattyD21
05-16-2012, 09:28 PM

lets see.

easily replaceable ?? are those numbers just from this years postseason?!

BeatYale
05-16-2012, 09:40 PM
It bothers me too

Still expensive for a 3rd WR who greatly benefits from the success of Nicks and Cruz. What makes you think he really wanted to stay here? Of course a player is going to make friendly PR statements about him wishing he could stay on his current team. That's business.

On the Giants it'll be too difficult for him to up his value because he has 2 top WRs in the league ahead of him. With the 49ers his competition is an old Randy Moss, an unproven Crabtree and a newly acquired rookie. He's in a good a situation out there to possibly land a starting gig which is his best chance at producing better numbers which in turn will put his agent in a better negotiating position for his next contract.

GmenFan1980
05-16-2012, 09:41 PM

lets see.

Manningham stats for the year(playoffs included) Rec -42 Yards-712 TD's- 7

Rueben Randle last year. Rec-53 yards-917 TD-8

I think he can replace Manningham's numbers :/

b_ELI_eve
05-16-2012, 09:42 PM

lets see.

No, those are Mario's numbers for this regular* season.

Mario wanted to be a starter and have the potential to put up big numbers. He knew once Cruz blew up that he had no shot at ever doing so.

egyptian420
05-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Manningwho?
the guy who single handedly led our SB winning drive

I know you're only joking, but come on man....

GmenFan1980
05-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Manningwho?

I like the part in your comment where you are ignoring Nicks caught two passes for first downs in that final drive. and Bradshaw scored the game winning touchdown.

I know this topic is dumb, but come on man

Drez
05-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Manningwho?

I like the part in your comment where you are ignoring Nicks caught two passes for first downs in that final drive. and Bradshaw scored the game winning touchdown.

And either way, that pass that Eli threw to him was much more impressive than the catch. The catch was nice, but if the ball wasn't thrown where it was MM would have had no shot at it.

BeatYale
05-16-2012, 10:45 PM

lets see.

There's no doubt that Manningham was a big contributor down the stretch into the playoffs. We just gotta trust the coaches and hope that we can develop another #3 WR. It's the best route to take financially, in a time where Cruz and Nicks are due to be FA's soon.

MattyD21
05-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Manningwho?

And either way, that pass that Eli threw to him was much more impressive than the catch. The catch was nice, but if the ball wasn't thrown where it was MM would have had no shot at it.

Yeah, you might wana watch it again

http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=3726438&t=o (http://gifsoup.com/view/3726438/manningham.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com/)

giantsfan420
05-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Manningwho?

http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=3726438&t=o (http://gifsoup.com/view/3726438/manningham.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com/)

R u implying the catch was actually more difficult than the pass???

The catch was great, the pass was PERFECT. Mm was able to worry bout his feet bc the pass was right on his hands...i guess its subjective but ive yet to hear from any analyst or opinion i respect that the catch was more difficult...watch some replays of diff angles off the ball trajectory, seriously it was in about a 18 inch window....probably top 3 pass in sb history easily

buddy33
05-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Anyone acting like they didn't lose a very good WR is in denial. He would have cost more than Randle and he has the potential to fill his shoes. That's how teams continue to stay on top. Let guys go and draft guys who can take their place.

chizz
05-16-2012, 11:00 PM
the board doesnt like rio

Drez
05-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Manningwho?

I've watched it plenty of times. The pass was significantly more difficult than the catch. You see sideline catches like that sometimes a couple times a game (i.e. tight on the sideline while getting hit).

Throwing the ball 40+ yards in the air off your back foot into a 3 inch window over the shoulder of your receiver and in between two defenders is much more difficult.

Drez
05-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Manningwho?

The catch was great, the pass was PERFECT. Mm was able to worry bout his feet bc the pass was right on his hands...i guess its subjective but ive yet to hear from any analyst or opinion i respect that the catch was more difficult...watch some replays of diff angles off the ball trajectory, seriously it was in about a 18 inch window....probably top 3 pass in sb history easily
420, there was no way that window was 18". It's probably closer to 3-9. But, I think we can agree that if Eli didn't put that ball right where he did MM would have had no shot of making the catch.

dsd28
05-16-2012, 11:32 PM
manningham had a down year where he barely had half the production of 2010 during the regular season. plus he missed 4 games due to injury. 1 game was missed due to concussion, but 3 games were missed due to a troublesome knee injury. not a good sign for his future health prospects. i bet he misses some games next year due to his knees.

he made a great play in the superbowl, and nothing will ever take that away. with that said, he's not a talent you build your team around, so it makes perfect sense to let him go at this point in his career, and let one of our younger receivers step up.

eli makes our receivers, not the other way around (steve smith? who?). we will be fine.

slipknottin
05-16-2012, 11:49 PM
the guy who single handedly led our SB winning drive<

Not this crap again. After 07 I think half the forum thought Tyree was the best receiver in the league.

Manningham made a nice catch, yes.

He was completely in single coverage all postseason all four games, and managed only 189 yards. Nicks put up 170 yards against GB alone.

They can replace Mario, the #3 receiver the giants have will be in one on one coverage constantly, they can find someone to put up better numbers than Rio did.

miked1958
05-16-2012, 11:49 PM
It doesn't matter any more to me.Me either let's move on

G-Man67
05-16-2012, 11:57 PM
well the FREE part of Free Agent might be a clue

he was FREE to sign with whoever he wanted, there was little we could do

now if he was a restricted FA well that that would be a whole other story

oh and one other thing to remember about MM ... he had suffered a few concussions already ... i did also believe he would make more money on the open market than he did

Flip Empty
05-17-2012, 03:12 AM

lets see.

You can't compare pro numbers with college numbers.

XxBigWhitxX
05-17-2012, 03:20 AM

lets see.

You can't compare pro numbers with college numbers.In this instance yes because Randle came from a run first offense with two horrible QBs and he faced constant double teams because he was the best receiver on the team while Manningham had Eli, an offense that passed heavily, and the pleasure knowing that Nicks and Cruz would draw double teams leaving him one on one.

giantsfan420
05-17-2012, 03:40 AM
Dont forget reese has said numerously that randle will be a quick learn and quick fit to the offense, im sure he knows a lot more than we do, but i could see how he could translate smoothly to the nfl game given the coverages he will likely see. We pretty much know how defenses will adjust to nicks and cruz, either double team philosophies, or cover 2 shells...which i believe is part why we drafted wilson too. Remember all those passes to hyno and bear in the flat? That was vs cover 22 looks in large part, u put wilson in the flats vs a lb or db with open space, wilson can be lethal...

So i could see randle and wilson being used early and often

Flip Empty
05-17-2012, 04:26 AM

lets see.

You can't compare pro numbers with college numbers.In this instance yes because Randle came from a run first offense with two horrible QBs and he faced constant double teams because he was the best receiver on the team while Manningham had Eli, an offense that passed heavily, and the pleasure knowing that Nicks and Cruz would draw double teams leaving him one on one.
That still means squat. The level of play is higher in the NFL.

XxBigWhitxX
05-17-2012, 08:04 AM

lets see.

That still means squat. The level of play is higher in the NFL.But He played in the SEC where the corners are beast, Manningham gets the nickleback. not to mention he has had to go against Peterson, Claibourne, and Mathieu in practice everyday. I'm sure he knows how to compete against top talent.

FBomb
05-17-2012, 11:25 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRr9db-hW4NBSAhtvkcCbm8q9rRt483m3LRSLekDuc9eRajBsEk

JesseJames
05-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Manningham was a #3 WR who wanted to move up the chain and after last season he saw that he wasn't going to be able to move up there because of the play of Cruz and Nicks. He wanted more money and was going to be a #3 WR if he stayed and would not get the big bucks he was looking for, thats the way I see this thing....I liked Mario but that one big catch made him and his agent think of bigger things instead of looking at his whole body of work..

TrueBlue@NYC
05-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Guys just need to learn that this is the by-product of consistently drafting well at a position. You're going to enjoy depth of starter quality for a time, but know that you're not going to be able to keep them once it's FA time.

We had a legit #2 WR as our #3 guy. He got paid as a #2 guy, appropriate with his talent. We can't afford to pay our #3 WR like a starter when we already have two guys at the same position that will require big bucks.

qndarius3
05-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Guys just need to learn that this is the by-product of consistently drafting well at a position. You're going to enjoy depth of starter quality for a time, but know that you're not going to be able to keep them once it's FA time.

We had a legit #2 WR as our #3 guy. He got paid as a #2 guy, appropriate with his talent. We can't afford to pay our #3 WR like a starter when we already have two guys at the same position that will require big bucks.

+1

Rio was a very good player for us, as a 3rd round pick. Many forget that he had nearly 1000 yrds in 2010-2011. He will be a solid player for the 49ers.
Its a business, and he made a good business decision for him.

Randle is gonna be solid for us as well. Lets move on.

Toadofsteel
05-17-2012, 02:53 PM
This is how the Giants roll. They don't make the big splashes in free agency because they prefer to draft their own potentials and develop them in-house, to *make* their own names rather than drop big bucks on FA's that already have big names.

Yes, it doesn't always work (Barden, Sinorice), but with so much of our talent coming from the draft (or undrafted rookies), like Manning (yes he was technically a trade acquisition but essentially he started his career with us), Bradshaw, Nicks, JPP, and Phillips...

I forget who it was, but someone here had in their sig "When you draft like Reese, you don't need to pay like Snyder" or something similar... who was that? I think that applies here...

Drez
05-17-2012, 05:33 PM
This is how the Giants roll. They don't make the big splashes in free agency because they prefer to draft their own potentials and develop them in-house, to *make* their own names rather than drop big bucks on FA's that already have big names.

Yes, it doesn't always work (Barden, Sinorice), but with so much of our talent coming from the draft (or undrafted rookies), like Manning (yes he was technically a trade acquisition but essentially he started his career with us), Bradshaw, Nicks, JPP, and Phillips...

I forget who it was, but someone here had in their sig "When you draft like Reese, you don't need to pay like Snyder" or something similar... who was that? I think that applies here...
I have it now, and at one point MMB had it as his sig, too.

Neverend
05-17-2012, 05:35 PM

lets see.

Those manningham numbers are highly misleading in regards to the salary cap, I think his cap hit is only a little over 1 million this year for the 49ers. Which further supports why I believe the salary cap isn't a fair blame here

the stats last year wasn't impressive. And I guess its fair for you to say by the 2011 numbers manningham's easily replaceable, as if given more playing time its reasonable barden/jernigan can easily put up those numbers (25 yds per game in 16 games). But its not really the stat factor that made manningham a luxury, its the fact that if Nicks/Cruz went down the Giants have the talent at WR that can start & not miss a beat. Lets not forget his extremely impressive 2010 campaign (3 100-yd game to end the season as starter). "Replacing" his role is an irrelevant factor, because as you said his numbers weren't that of some kind of world beater last yr

I think the most plausible reason why manningham left is because the giants thought he was expendable or manningham simply wanted to go to another club where he can get the ball more. But I firmly believe the salary cap wasn't a huge issue here. It was predicted to be a huge issue in trying to resign mm, but the SF offer was easily something the Giants could have at least attempted to match.. the way I see it

Neverend
05-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Manningwho?

C'mon... the MM disrespect is kind of amusing. Rewind 1 year ago from today, and you hear nothing but absolute positivity and raves about him from Giants fans. People were boasting about how manningham got double teams when nicks/smith were injured and how we would be a tremendous starter for any nfl team

I personally thought at the time Manningham was officially turning the corner and was going to be a great receiver in his own way in the nfl. unfortunately, cruz + injuries + lack of improvement in technique/recognition hurt him but the guy was a playmaker and provided us with awesome highlight reel big plays over the last few years. The disprect is unwarranted

pdladder
05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Best reply. Thanks man.

egyptian420
05-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Lol....smh about some of the responses on here.....it seems that everyone who leaves the Giants must be hated and discredited for everything they did with us.

Never once did I say we have any reason to keep him, with Nicks and Cruz who are both better than him already on the roster, but to simply act like he's garbage and downplay the significance of that play in the SB just flat out stupid....nuff said.

giantsfan420
05-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Lol....smh about some of the responses on here.....it seems that everyone who leaves the Giants must be hated and discredited for everything they did with us.

Never once did I say we have any reason to keep him, with Nicks and Cruz who are both better than him already on the roster, but to simply act like he's garbage and downplay the significance of that play in the SB just flat out stupid....nuff said.

Agreed. And dont forget the nfc cg...that 3rd n 15td was huge, almost as difficult as the sb play imho...both were absolutel perfect, meaning cannot get any better, passes that mm made the play on as he should have

egyptian420
05-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Manningwho?

Eli was sharp as a knife and he deserves a ton of credit. I'm replying to someone who said Manningwho as if he was a nobody, which I totally disagree with.

That play had a huge significance on that drive and Nicks and Cruz were covered like a circus tent. Manningham made 1 (or maybe 2, correct me if I'm wrong) more catches on that drive that helped move the chains and allow Nicks to get open.

I feel the same about Manningham as I did about Steve Smith, he's replaceable. But to say "Manningwho" is a bit disrespectful, specially considering the poster who said it probably was crying out of happiness when MM made that catch and yelled his name and gave his friends high 5's and hugs.......a few days go by and we're saying Manningwho.....gimme a ####ing break

Quiet frankly I find it extremely unappreciative

egyptian420
05-18-2012, 01:05 AM

Agreed. And dont forget the nfc cg...that 3rd n 15td was huge, almost as difficult as the sb play imho...both were absolutel perfect, meaning cannot get any better, passes that mm made the play on as he should have
shhh....he's an ex-giant, you must discredit him at all cost

MattyD21
05-18-2012, 02:26 AM
Find me a replacement like we did SS12 and then maybe i will forget we could of had the best starting 3 in the NFL until then,we'll have one the best duo's in the NFL.

Jon6777
05-18-2012, 03:34 AM
Manningwho?

Absolutely. Eli threw a perfect dime into double coverage where only Mario could make the catch. Perfect sideline toss, it helped Mario getting his feet down.

TrueBlue@NYC
05-18-2012, 02:47 PM

lets see.

Those manningham numbers are highly misleading in regards to the salary cap, I think his cap hit is only a little over 1 million this year for the 49ers. Which further supports why I believe the salary cap isn't a fair blame here

the stats last year wasn't impressive. And I guess its fair for you to say by the 2011 numbers manningham's easily replaceable, as if given more playing time its reasonable barden/jernigan can easily put up those numbers (25 yds per game in 16 games). But its not really the stat factor that made manningham a luxury, its the fact that if Nicks/Cruz went down the Giants have the talent at WR that can start & not miss a beat. Lets not forget his extremely impressive 2010 campaign (3 100-yd game to end the season as starter). "Replacing" his role is an irrelevant factor, because as you said his numbers weren't that of some kind of world beater last yr

I think the most plausible reason why manningham left is because the giants thought he was expendable or manningham simply wanted to go to another club where he can get the ball more. But I firmly believe the salary cap wasn't a huge issue here. It was predicted to be a huge issue in trying to resign mm, but the SF offer was easily something the Giants could have at least attempted to match.. the way I see it

If what you're saying about MM's salary cap number being 1m this year (unlikely) then that would mean his cap number next season balloons to 6m next season, the year we'll likely have to give out big extensions for Nicks, JPP and/or Cruz, and KP becomes a FA.

Yes, this was about the salary cap, and it being about the salary cap isn't just about this year, it's about down the road as well. Signing him this year means someone next year doesn't get resigned.

jparmer
05-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Manningwho?

Eli was sharp as a knife and he deserves a ton of credit. I'm replying to someone who said Manningwho as if he was a nobody, which I totally disagree with.

That play had a huge significance on that drive and Nicks and Cruz were covered like a circus tent. Manningham made 1 (or maybe 2, correct me if I'm wrong) more catches on that drive that helped move the chains and allow Nicks to get open.

I feel the same about Manningham as I did about Steve Smith, he's replaceable. But to say "Manningwho" is a bit disrespectful, specially considering the poster who said it probably was crying out of happiness when MM made that catch and yelled his name and gave his friends high 5's and hugs.......a few days go by and we're saying Manningwho.....gimme a ####ing break

Quiet frankly I find it extremely unappreciative

Wow, I make a 1 word post jokingly trying to be clever with a play on words. Go Away for a few days and come back to find the boards have lost all sense of humor. Never once have I ever talked negative against MM. The success of Mario has been overshadowed by what Victor Cruz has done. Mario will forever go down in Giants history there is no doubt about that. But I will say that between MM, VC, and HN, if I had to give one away it would be Mario.

So relax, I meant no disrespect, quite frankly I'm shocked that do many of u took offense to my post.

Toadofsteel
05-19-2012, 04:49 AM
Manningwho?

C'mon... the MM disrespect is kind of amusing. Rewind 1 year ago from today, and you hear nothing but absolute positivity and raves about him from Giants fans. People were boasting about how manningham got double teams when nicks/smith were injured and how we would be a tremendous starter for any nfl team

I personally thought at the time Manningham was officially turning the corner and was going to be a great receiver in his own way in the nfl. unfortunately, cruz + injuries + lack of improvement in technique/recognition hurt him but the guy was a playmaker and provided us with awesome highlight reel big plays over the last few years. The disprect is unwarranted

People need to learn how to differentiate ex-giants.

In the first category, you have cap casualties. Guys like MM, Jacobs, Ross, Boss, etc... There's nothing inherently "bad" about these people. We'd love to keep them, but in the salary capped league, some tough decisions have to be made. Best of luck to these men (except against us of course).

Then you have the folks who were traded, released, what have you, due to divaism or just plain stupidity. Plaxico, Shockey, and Tiki come to mind. You kind of pity the stupidity, and I for one SMH at the divaism. These folks did it to themselves though.

Then you have the outright traitors... folks who not only left the team to play for a rival, but denounced the team he was leaving...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20632442.jpg

egyptian420
05-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Manningwho?

People need to learn how to differentiate ex-giants.

In the first category, you have cap casualties. Guys like MM, Jacobs, Ross, Boss, etc... There's nothing inherently "bad" about these people. We'd love to keep them, but in the salary capped league, some tough decisions have to be made. Best of luck to these men (except against us of course).

Then you have the folks who were traded, released, what have you, due to divaism or just plain stupidity. Plaxico, Shockey, and Tiki come to mind. You kind of pity the stupidity, and I for one SMH at the divaism. These folks did it to themselves though.

Then you have the outright traitors... folks who not only left the team to play for a rival, but denounced the team he was leaving...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20632442.jpg
+1