PDA

View Full Version : LT is auctioning off his ring from SBXXV

manning to shockey
05-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Someone buy this up.
http://catalog.scpauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=20039&searchby=4&searchvalue=981&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1&seo=LAWRENCE-TAYLOR

Presented here is arguably the most significant Superbowl player ring ever offered publicly. Lawrence Taylor’s own 1991 Superbowl XXV ring feature two football shaped diamonds on the face surrounded by worn blue enameling framed by seventeen smaller diamonds. Design elements include the name “TAYLOR” on the left shank above a Giants helmet and his number “56”. Engraved on the interior band in the full name “LAWRENCE TAYLOR”. The ring shows considerable wear, that in some eyes, only enhances it aura. A phenomenally important memento from one of the greatest football players of all-time. Size: 12.

FroZeNx31x
05-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Hard times for LT?

SweetZombieJesus
05-17-2012, 12:49 PM
If 52 of us chip in $1000 each, we can hold the ring for a week each year and pass it on.

giantsfan420
05-17-2012, 01:01 PM
If 52 of us chip in $1000 each, we can hold the ring for a week each year and pass it on.

Im in!

How is it worth only 52thousand tho?
i know thats just a guestimate but i remember hearing they r valued at around that...
maybe thats just the actual selling price but that doesnt incorporate the being a sb champ and how theres only so many made and thats forevdr. Its extremelly rare in that regard,

Id say based on everything, LTs ring,bc it is so rare only 1 of those made in the world, its worth 2.5 million, but a good collectors price should be 500,000 and will be 200,000

Im prob way off, thats just how i make sense of it

thomsoad
05-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Im in!

How is it worth only 52thousand tho?
i know thats just a guestimate but i remember hearing they r valued at around that...
maybe thats just the actual selling price but that doesnt incorporate the being a sb champ and how theres only so many made and thats forevdr. Its extremelly rare in that regard,

Id say based on everything, LTs ring,bc it is so rare only 1 of those made in the world, its worth 2.5 million, but a good collectors price should be 500,000 and will be 200,000

Im prob way off, thats just how i make sense of it

Im in if people are gonna be serious about it. Just need to add xtra for insurance and a lawyer to draw up the contract. :)

ebick
05-17-2012, 01:28 PM
How is it worth only 52thousand tho?</P>

According to the story, the current bid is only around $37K. The whole thing is just very sad.</P>

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82928a99/article/lawrence-taylor-selling-his-91-super-bowl-ring?module=HP11_headline_stack</P>

RoanokeFan
05-17-2012, 02:05 PM
If I had the money, I'd make the highest bid and give it back to LT.

giantsfan420
05-17-2012, 02:13 PM

Thats a good thought, if i had the loot id do that too...

Damn lawyers fees

RoanokeFan
05-17-2012, 02:40 PM

Damn lawyers fees

It's really sad to watch somebody fall all the way down the mountain.

Bohemian
05-17-2012, 02:58 PM
LT needs help, and I hope that the Giants can help him out. He is too valuable to the fans and the city to have to be so desperate of a situation. He fell from grace a long time ago, and there is no excuse why he should remain in such desperate condition. He was my favorite player during my adolescence, and it is a real shame to see him not being able to redeem himself.

I am not a religious man, but I hope that those of you who are, do pray for him. I am just hoping that the Giants fraternity can help the man.

The ring is worthless compared to the man, and it is the man, not the ring that needs to be rescued.

Toadofsteel
05-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Damn lawyers fees

It's not just LT either... unless you get a career in broadcasting (Simms, Aikman, Strahan, Terry, etc), people forget about you real quick. It's kind of sad, but the reality is that LT did plead guilty to soliciting sex from a 16-year-old girl. Part of me wants to help him out, but I just can't get over that. Most of us here abandoned Plaxico after he shot himself, and that was only something that he did to himself, not to others.

I choose to remember LT for what he did on the field (even if I was only alive for the latter half of it and I barely remember it at all), but I don't know if i can help him out now. Overall, it's still a sad situation...

burier
05-17-2012, 03:19 PM

So you'd just give LT however many thousands of dollars?

You sir, have a very strange sense of charity.

Edit: also if LT is so hard up he can just jump on the gravy train and sue the NFL.

"The NFL mislead me. They didn't tell me that concussions are bad."

GMENAGAIN
05-17-2012, 03:26 PM
</P>

He'd just sell it again . . . . .</P>

Cool Papa B.
05-17-2012, 04:16 PM
That sad. I find interesting the timing of this. Putting one of your rings on the market a day after your former team receives their SB rings. You have to figure that ring is worth at least $100K. The bid is already at $67K.

There's a saying that debt, divorce, and/or death are the main reasons why players sell their rings

RoanokeFan
05-17-2012, 04:29 PM

Edit: also if LT is so hard up he can just jump on the gravy train and sue the NFL.

It isn't about the money, except to you perhaps. LT was the greatest defensive player of all time (so far). His story, like so many others, shouldn't end in the basement.

Like Harry Carson, LT is apparently not getting on the "gravy train" and that's to his credit.

RoanokeFan
05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
</p>

He'd just sell it again . . . . .</p>

Perhaps, but he earned it.

TuckYou
05-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Thats a good thought, if i had the loot id do that too... Damn lawyers fees

</P>

"which brings me to my next point, don'tsmoke crack!"</P>

tikiandphil
05-17-2012, 04:33 PM
This is why I respect you so much RF.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-17-2012, 04:58 PM
If only he hadn't hired a sleaze bag hooker who would swindle him out of his money and name. Still, this is probably a better result than getting screwed over by a divorce settlement. I hope the girl lives a life of being a trailer park prostitute or lot lizard for lying about her age to a customer. She is a worthless human being. I could care less if a dude hires a hooker. There should be some integrity within the prostitution industry. That's why you need the number of a good pimp because a pimp keeps his hoes in line and owns her mind. That, or just move to Nevada where it is legal and you can just go to a brothel...

THE_New_York_Giants
05-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Thats a good thought, if i had the loot id do that too... Damn lawyers fees

</P>

"which brings me to my next point, don't*smoke crack!"</P>
I'd pay his lawyer fees and his rent for a year. If it meant we could hang out.

zimonami
05-17-2012, 06:11 PM

My sentiments, exactly.
I think Wellington would have bought it anonymously and returned it to LT... or just send him $100,000 to help an old Giant out... $100,000 is the high end anticipated at auction.
I am sure that a concerted/coordinated effort could find enough grateful Giant fans to fork up some cash to help LT out. I'd be happy to be one of 1,000 peoples to donate $100.00 for LT. In his Giant career he has left me with priceless memories.
My only stipulation would be that I could trust the money wouldn't end up in his nose.

zimonami
05-17-2012, 06:14 PM
</p>

+!
How can you measure the satisfaction LT brought to my life?.... you can't.

Bread
05-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Even as a rival fan, I find it sad to see how far LT has fallen. He is the grestest defensive player of all time and the face of football back when it was played by real men.

A local radio guy here in Philly said he once taped a radio interview with LT and couldnt even air the interview because he was so incoherent.

Sad stuff. Would like to see him recover much like other NFC East legends overcame their issues (Irvin, Carter)

NYGRealityCheck
05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
The more important thing is that he'll be remebered as the greatest defensive player in the history of the NFL, won two Superbowls with the Giants, and broke Theisman's foo/leg.

The ring itself is just material and he probably needs the money as well. Heck, some Olympic athletes sell their gold medals for similar reasons. Not too surprised here.
This is defintiely a collector's item and he'll get a decent amount of money in return.

buffyblue
05-17-2012, 07:10 PM
It is sad but LT is a grown man and has done this to himself. I pray that he gets better and puts his life back in order.

LT and Eli are my 2 favorite NY Giants.

keyofgmen
05-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Here's what I'd do...

Take the ring around to High Schools in NY area and use it as a prop to show kids how drugs and bad decisions will screw up your life. Show the fall in horrible detail.

And if LT was humble enough to join me in the tour, THEN, I would give it back to him.

zimonami
05-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Here's what I'd do...

Take the ring around to High Schools in NY area and use it as a prop to show kids how drugs and bad decisions will screw up your life. Show the fall in horrible detail.

And if LT was humble enough to join me in the tour, THEN, I would give it back to him.
good idea

Bohemian
05-17-2012, 08:24 PM
LT needs some major counseling, and definitely a plan to redeem himself in the community. Whatever amount of money will never get him on the right path to a self-respecting and productive life. He is a major public figure in the city and the League, and that is certainly a problem that raises major issues with his ability to lead a normal and productive life. People should realize that the celebrity of the man that was, can't be confused with the man who needs help in order to get his life on track.

There seems to be a disregard for the after effects of playing the game for such a long time, specially at the clip that LT played it at. This is not the result of a man making bad turns in his life, as this is too about the poverty a life wasted on the field of play while not having had the help to prepare him for life after the game.

I think that any employer out there would be lucky to be able to develop a working plan with LT, and start helping the man rebuild and redeem himself.

RoanokeFan
05-17-2012, 08:28 PM
</p>

+!
How can you measure the satisfaction LT brought to my life?.... you can't.

Well said.

Bones911
05-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Watch LT make a special guest appearance on PAWN STARS.

Then Rick screws him over.

GameTime
05-17-2012, 09:31 PM
I respect everyone's opinions about LT. While many many people "fall down the mountain" there are many that pick themselves up and make it through. Many with way less means than what LT had at his disposal.</P>

While I do have empathy I cant help but feel he blew it and really has had multiple chances to make things right.</P>

If he sells his ring then he doesn't deserve to have someone bail him out and give it back. Although its a grand gesture I disagree....</P>

</P>

zimonami
05-17-2012, 09:43 PM
I respect everyone's opinions about LT. While many many people "fall down the mountain" there are many that pick themselves up and make it through. Many with way less means than what LT had at his disposal.</P>

While I do have empathy I cant help but feel he blew it and really has had multiple chances to make things right.</P>

If he sells his ring then he doesn't deserve to have someone bail him out and give it back. Although its a grand gesture I disagree....</P>

*</P>
You know the Prodigal Son?
I understand that LT has mostly brought his problems upon himself. and I can't blame anyone who looks at his life in toto, and more realistically.... but his play for the Giants was so spectacular, unselfish, and inspirational for 12 years that I'm not one to be his disciplinarian, or judge. I wish him only the very best and would be there for him if he asked... like a son... that's just the way I feel for the years of pride he brough to our franchise after 2 decades of wasted wishing and hoping.

jints10
05-17-2012, 09:55 PM
How come LT never does any signings at least I never hear about any signings. He could probably clean up.

redbeardxxv
05-17-2012, 09:55 PM
The GIANTS should buy it for the museum....

jints10
05-17-2012, 09:58 PM
The GIANTS should buy it for the museum....
Good call would make a nice addition

NYGiantsFan56
05-17-2012, 10:19 PM
If I had the $$$$ I would buy that ring and give it back to LT. Despite all his pitfalls, he brought out of obscurity and led us to the 1st of our 4x Superbowl wins. HE IS LT. A Superman on the football field and a human being with many shortfalls off the field. IF THERE IS A GENUINE MOVEMENT TO RAISE $$ TO BUY THIS RING I WILL DONATE WHAT I CAN AFFORD. WE OWE IT TO HIM.

RoanokeFan
05-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Here's the problem...

Most of these highly paid game players have EVERYTHING done for them from the time it's obvious they are NFL bound. They don't have to take or pass classes, then are mostly on full ride scholarships, they are given gifts, money, and women under the table (no pun intended) in college and then they hit the NFL jackpot. They can elect to leave college early and get millions of dollars in signing bonuses.

There is precious little accountability for them until they leave football and have to actually handle their own affairs. For the most part they are ill equipped/prepared make the transition into the non-football work place.

When you've been programmed all of your life to play a game with huge rewards is it any wonder they squander all of that money and get into trouble of all sorts when they are no longer NFL players?

NYGiantsFan56
05-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Here's the problem...

Most of these highly paid game players have EVERYTHING done for them from the time it's obvious they are NFL bound.* They don't have to take or pass classes, then are mostly on full ride scholarships, they are given gifts, money, and women under the table (no pun intended) in college and then they hit the NFL jackpot.* They can elect to leave college early and get millions of dollars in signing bonuses.

There is precious little accountability for them until they leave football and have to actually handle their own affairs.* For the most part they are ill equipped/prepared make the transition into the non-football work place.

When you've been programmed all of your life to play a game with huge rewards is it any wonder they squander all of that money and get into trouble of all sorts when they are no longer NFL players?

You are 100% right. Just feel bad for him. He still is one of the faces of the NY Giants Storied and Rich History. I wonder if Wellington Mara was still with us would he have helped LT out. Once a Giant always a Giant. Maybe Simms, Banks and Strahan should help him. They have successful second careers.

Roosevelt
05-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Sorry to hear that Lawrence. You changed our franchise and the NFL. I wish you well.

bleeding blue
05-17-2012, 11:31 PM
LT needs help, and I hope that the Giants can help him out.* He is too valuable to the fans and the city to have to be so desperate of a situation.* He fell from grace a long time ago, and there is no excuse why he should remain in such desperate condition.* He was my favorite player during my adolescence, and it is a real shame to see him not being able to redeem himself.

I am not a religious man, but I hope that those of you who are, do pray for him.* I am just hoping that the Giants fraternity can help the man.

The ring is worthless compared to the man, and it is the man, not the ring that needs to be rescued.

Great post. Just not sure the Giants want that type of publicity for helping out a former player going through tough times..

edit: Not that its bad publicity but other former players would be fuming and the story could draw much attention.

BigBlue1971
05-17-2012, 11:40 PM
i like the idea of the Giants buying the ring for display or whatever purpose!</P>

LT was a great football player......changed the game defensively!</P>

if LT wasnt the player he was he would still been waiting for the hof!</P>

FBomb
05-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Watch LT make a special guest appearance on PAWN STARS. Then Rick screws him over.</P>

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgRwVbgYd2swQcqCxUhnu-GkFU7QGrwGA-_DfVm_KfRlcwzcN0EA</P>

"I'll give you 100 bucks and a ride home."</P>

byron
05-18-2012, 12:50 AM

</P>

You know the Prodigal Son? I understand that LT has mostly brought his problems upon himself. and I can't blame anyone who looks at his life in toto, and more realistically.... but his play for the Giants was so spectacular, unselfish, and inspirational for 12 years that I'm not one to be his disciplinarian, or judge. I wish him only the very best and would be there for him if he asked... like a son... that's just the way I feel for the years of pride he brough to our franchise after 2 decades of wasted wishing and hoping.</P>

good postZim....years ago I walked into a meeting hall... man I was a mess...They welcomed me with open arms "a total stranger mind you".... Over thefirst couple of years I'd make progress then fail, make progress fail again....but they never gave up on me, each time they extended they're hand... I'm 23 years clean and sober....One of the promises I made was to pass it on ...And have had the pleasure of doing so a few times over the years...if he asked me for a hand I'd be there also.... </P>

</P>

zimonami
05-18-2012, 01:15 AM

*</P>

You know the Prodigal Son? I understand that LT has mostly brought his problems upon himself. and I can't blame anyone who looks at his life in toto, and more realistically.... but his play for the Giants was so spectacular, unselfish, and inspirational for 12 years that I'm not one to be his disciplinarian, or judge. I wish him only the very best and would be there for him if he asked... like a son... that's just the way I feel for the years of pride he brough to our franchise after 2 decades of wasted wishing and hoping.</P>

*good post*Zim....years ago I walked into a meeting hall... man I was a mess...They welcomed me with open arms "a total stranger mind you".... Over the*first couple of years I'd make progress then fail, make progress fail again....but they never gave up on me, each time they extended they're hand*... I'm 23 years clean and sober....One of the promises I made was to pass it on ...And have had the pleasure of doing so a few times over the years...if he asked me for a hand I'd be there also....* </P>

*</P>
There ya' go, byron... it's often too difficult to beat our problems alone... without that kind of support there might have been a different ending to your story... and many others that needed a shoulder to help get thru their problems. LT needs help. He won't get back on his feet without some love and support.

byron
05-18-2012, 01:53 AM
@Zim</P>

Its there for him lets hope he asks for/finds it....</P>

BlueBlooded1979
05-18-2012, 05:56 AM
* i like the idea of the Giants buying the ring for display or whatever purpose!</P>

LT was a great football player......changed the game defensively!</P>

if LT wasnt the player he was he would still been waiting for the hof!</P>

I already sent an email to every Giants contact I could find imploring them to do this. I hit up Hanlon on Twitter as well. Everyone who has time should let them know how we feel. It will go for roughly 100-150k. That isn't got to break the back of a multibillion dollar franchise.

Obviously they can't buy them all back but this is LT. This franchise became a laughing stock prior to his arrival. He put that defense on his back and changed the game in the process.

His personal life is a mess but a SB ring with #56 on it should always belong to a Giant.

buffyblue
05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
LT is the greatest defensive player of all time. He was the main part in bringing our organization to the forefront and making other teams fear our Celebrated NY Giants defense. He has made some bad choices that have gotten him in trouble with the law but it has always been self destructive and not geared toward hurting anyone else.

LT was doing well and building a good life for himself with the endorsements and acting gigs on the side and he messed it up by hiiting off some derelect hooker. Heck if he was going to do something like that he should have called a Heidu Fleiss type and kept it hush hush.

The good thing about all this was that drugs were not involved and he has apparently been off them for a number of years now.

I pray for LT that he takes care of hia family and gets his life in order. He has been a part of our lives and I will always havr love for him.

FBomb
05-18-2012, 10:46 AM
It's sad to see this happen to such a legend to Giants fans and the organization.</P>

That being said, he's had several chances at redemption and people that have reached out to try and help him. It all seems to end up back in the same place. </P>

I'm sad for him....I really am.</P>

nygsb42champs
05-18-2012, 10:47 AM
It is sad to see this happen to one of the greates ever on the field.

foxie
05-18-2012, 11:04 AM
I think Harry Carson put it best a couple of years back when they were verbal jousting, having taken him under his wing as a Giant rookie out of UNC, basically Harry ended it with, I love Lawrence Taylor the person, I have no time for LT....

bELIeve_in_Giants
05-18-2012, 11:29 AM
LT says his son put the ring up for auction

Jay Glazer?@JayGlazer

LT wasn't aware at all that his son had put it up for auction. However, he had no problem with it bc he feels they are now his sons property

FBomb
05-18-2012, 11:31 AM
LT says his son put the ring up for auction Jay Glazer?@JayGlazer LT wasn't aware at all that his son had put it up for auction. However, he had no problem with it bc he feels they are now his sons property</P>

Somehow......that makes this even sadder.</P>

Kruunch
05-18-2012, 12:57 PM
LT says his son put the ring up for auction

Jay Glazer?@JayGlazer

LT wasn't aware at all that his son had put it up for auction. However, he had no problem with it bc he feels they are now his sons property

Sigh.

GameTime
05-18-2012, 02:35 PM

</P>

good postZim....years ago I walked into a meeting hall... man I was a mess...They welcomed me with open arms "a total stranger mind you".... Over thefirst couple of years I'd make progress then fail, make progress fail again....but they never gave up on me, each time they extended they're hand... I'm 23 years clean and sober....One of the promises I made was to pass it on ...And have had the pleasure of doing so a few times over the years...if he asked me for a hand I'd be there also.... </P>

</P>

There ya' go, byron... it's often too difficult to beat our problems alone... without that kind of support there might have been a different ending to your story... and many others that needed a shoulder to help get thru their problems. LT needs help. He won't get back on his feet without some love and support.</P>

Zim.....you would treat LT like a son becuase he made you proud to be a Giants fan?? Thats very magnanomous of you. You dont even know him personally I assume yet you would treat him like family because of a football career. OK.....to each his own adn you are very generous.I wish him the best as well.</P>

Byron.....very happy for you beating your vices. It takes support and a strong will for sure to get to the straight and narrow and to stay on it. You accomplished this at 23 years old. How old is LT??? He has 10 times the chances you have had. I would bet he has massive support along the way as well. I dont wish him ill will and oly hope he can over come. But why is he selling his ring?? Is it money for rehab?? Or is it because he is broke? We all make our own mess and even with support it is ultimately up to the individual. </P>

</P>

Redeyejedi
05-18-2012, 03:31 PM
How could u sell something like that your father gave u. Unless its to keep someone alive medical reasons or your losing your home thats about the only excuse I could accept

Martyr
05-18-2012, 03:48 PM
How could u sell something like that your father gave u. Unless its to keep someone alive medical reasons or your losing your home thats about the only excuse I could accept</P>

I just found out also. Maybe he has his reasons at least its going to someone who really wants it.</P>

byron
05-18-2012, 03:56 PM

</P>

</P>

There ya' go, byron... it's often too difficult to beat our problems alone... without that kind of support there might have been a different ending to your story... and many others that needed a shoulder to help get thru their problems. LT needs help. He won't get back on his feet without some love and support.</P>

Zim.....you would treat LT like a son becuase he made you proud to be a Giants fan?? Thats very magnanomous of you. You dont even know him personally I assume yet you would treat him like family because of a football career. OK.....to each his own adn you are very generous.I wish him the best as well.</P>

Byron.....very happy for you beating your vices. It takes support and a strong will for sure to get to the straight and narrow and to stay on it. You accomplished this at 23 years old. How old is LT??? He has 10 times the chances you have had. I would bet he has massive support along the way as well. I dont wish him ill will and oly hope he can over come. But why is he selling his ring?? Is it money for rehab?? Or is it because he is broke? We all make our own mess and even with support it is <FONT color=#0000ff>ultimately up to the individual</FONT>. </P>

</P>

</P>

I guess the biggest point I was trying to make is that the help is there if you want it... so in thatwe agree its up to him he has to want it ...They are saying he gave his son the rings and knew nothing of the selling....I guess we are all assuming that there is no good behind the selling of the ring....Some one needs the money and appears now that that is the son...is that wrong of him ?....One day when I can't use the tools I've for yearsmade my living with ...does it matter why?Are people that know megoing to saywhat shame butits his own fault,the lazy ******* doesn't want to work anymore ?...LT is being judged because of his past and maybe rightfully so Idk....perhaps we all should wait till we have all the facts, there could be damn good reason behind the selling of that ring ...no conflict intended here Game timeI understand your point of view........not that it matters I was 36 when I quit 59 now.... its never to late to get straiten upIf thats what he needs.... its all good GT</P>

zimonami
05-18-2012, 04:02 PM

*</P>

*good post*Zim....years ago I walked into a meeting hall... man I was a mess...They welcomed me with open arms "a total stranger mind you".... Over the*first couple of years I'd make progress then fail, make progress fail again....but they never gave up on me, each time they extended they're hand*... I'm 23 years clean and sober....One of the promises I made was to pass it on ...And have had the pleasure of doing so a few times over the years...if he asked me for a hand I'd be there also....* </P>

*</P>

Zim.....you would treat LT like a son becuase he made you proud to be a Giants fan?? Thats very magnanomous of you. You dont even know him personally I assume yet you would treat him like family because of a football career. OK.....to each his own adn you are very generous.*I wish him the best as well.</P>

Byron.....very happy for you beating your vices. It takes support and a strong will for sure to get to the straight and narrow and to stay on it. You accomplished this at 23 years old. How old is LT??? He has 10 times the chances you have had. I would bet he has massive support along the way as well. I dont wish him ill will and oly hope he can over come. But why is he selling his ring?? Is it money for rehab?? Or is it because he is broke? We all make our own mess and even with support it is ultimately up to the individual. </P>

*</P>
You know, GT, that's the way I feel in my heart. As you say, I really know zero about him, so who knows if that feeling could sustain itself after knowing the real man. I would give him benefit of the doubt, but his act could wear thin. I have two sons, 40 and 43, and there have been times with each of them that we are on the outs from an argument, but I still love them with my whole heart.

byron
05-18-2012, 04:05 PM
How could u sell something like that your father gave u. Unless its to keep someone alive medical reasons or your losing your home thats about the only excuse I could accept We all wouldwant it to be for good reason were it one of our own children....If it was one of my children and they needed money to survive/pay the bills and I couldn't help themotherwise ....sell it...its just a ring.....lets wait maybe the facts will come out....

GameTime
05-18-2012, 04:22 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

You know, GT, that's the way I feel in my heart. As you say, I really know zero about him, so who knows if that feeling could sustain itself after knowing the real man. I would give him benefit of the doubt, but his act could wear thin. I have two sons, 40 and 43, and there have been times with each of them that we are on the outs from an argument, but I still love them with my whole heart.</P>

[Y]</P>

GameTime
05-18-2012, 04:23 PM

</P>

</P>

Byron.....very happy for you beating your vices. It takes support and a strong will for sure to get to the straight and narrow and to stay on it. You accomplished this at 23 years old. How old is LT??? He has 10 times the chances you have had. I would bet he has massive support along the way as well. I dont wish him ill will and oly hope he can over come. But why is he selling his ring?? Is it money for rehab?? Or is it because he is broke? We all make our own mess and even with support it is <FONT color=#0000ff>ultimately up to the individual</FONT>. </P>

</P>

</P>

I guess the biggest point I was trying to make is that the help is there if you want it... so in thatwe agree its up to him he has to want it ...They are saying he gave his son the rings and knew nothing of the selling....I guess we are all assuming that there is no good behind the selling of the ring....Some one needs the money and appears now that that is the son...is that wrong of him....One day when I can't use the tools I've for yearsmade my living with ...does it matter why?Are people that know megoing to saywhat shame its his own faultthe lazy ******* don't want to work anymore...LT is being judged because of his past and maybe rightfully so Idk....perhaps we all should wait till we have all the facts there could be damn good reason behind the selling of that ring ...no conflict intended here Game timeI understand your point of view........not that it matters I was 36 when I quit 59 now.... its never to late to get straiten upI thats what he needs.... its all good GT</P>

</P>

misread the 23 years part....:)</P>

all good....[Y]</P>

burier
05-18-2012, 05:25 PM

It isn't about the money, except to you perhaps.* LT was the greatest defensive player of all time (so far).* His story, like so many others, shouldn't end in the basement.**

Like Harry Carson, LT is apparently not getting on the "gravy train" and that's to his credit.

It is about the money unless LT is giving the ring away or he's donating the proceeds to charity.

I was merely pointng out that if you could you'd give thousands of dollars to a man who already had his time at the mountain top before you'd give the money to say....any other deserving charity.

All that said I don't want LT to sell his SB Ring. I think that's sad but not all that said in the grand scheme of things.

And again if it gets too bad he can always sue the NFL.

Cool Papa B.
05-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Currently the bid is at $192,000. Wow. Why is his son selling the ring?

Harooni
05-20-2012, 02:03 AM
I think its for a good reason, LT said he was fine with it. i hate that players 20 years ago got so little pay and players today get so much.

Redeyejedi
05-20-2012, 08:21 AM
I think its for a good reason, LT said he was fine with it.** i hate that players 20 years ago got so little pay and players today get so much.*
Hopefully they invested well

Cool Papa B.
05-21-2012, 09:06 AM
So the winning bid wound up being a wopping $230,401. But here was an interesting gesture by Osi.

He offered to buy back the ring from the winning bidder and give it back to LT if he had 500,000 followers by 10PM last Saturday

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7949546/new-york-giants-osi-umenyiora-offers-buy-lawrence-taylor-ring-comes-short-twitter-goal

Someone asked him why don't you just by the ring and give it back to LT regardless of the amount of followers he has? He responded, "Honestly, because i dont know him. If im going to spend that kind of money, it will be because people love him and show it."

IMO this is more about Osi trying to gain as much love and support from the Giants front off. and the fans in his walk year than doing a really good deed for a former player.