PDA

View Full Version : Decisions

FroZeNx31x
05-17-2012, 11:30 AM
If it came down to it, one pick left at your disposal to create a solid secondary....... the players left on the board are::

Corey Webster........Kenny Phillips........Antrel Rolle........Terrell Thomas (2010)........Prince

who would you choose?

(You currently have Byrd & Chancellor at Safety, Routt & Finnegan at CB)

Discuss.....
***Note:: Current players style should play a role on who you select***

miked1958
05-18-2012, 11:02 PM
If it came down to it, one pick left at your disposal to create a solid secondary....... the players left on the board are::

Corey Webster........Kenny Phillips........Antrel Rolle........Terrell Thomas (2010)........Prince

who would you choose?

(You currently have Byrd & Chancellor at Safety, Routt & Finnegan at CB)

Discuss.....
***Note:: Current players style should play a role on who you select***I will go with T2

miked1958
05-18-2012, 11:03 PM
The 2010 VERISON lol

Drez
05-18-2012, 11:10 PM
The 2010 VERISON lol
The 2010 version that ranked in the bottom 20 in almost every metric?

I'll take Webster.

miked1958
05-18-2012, 11:19 PM
The 2010 VERISON lol

I'll take Webster.
He had a Probowl yr that season

miked1958
05-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Well should of

Drez
05-18-2012, 11:44 PM
The 2010 VERISON lol

I'll take Webster.
He had a Probowl yr that season
No, he did not have a Pro Bowl caliber year in 2010.

He gave up the most and second most yards and TDs in the NFL (can't remember which he led and which he was second in, though). He was the second most targeted CB in the NFL (~130) and gave up a ton of receptions (~80). In fact, he gave up more receptions than Webster even was targeted. Sure, he had a ton of tackles, but that tends to happen when you give up so many completions. Yes, he led the team in interceptions, but again, considering how often he was targeted 5 isn't that many.

FroZeNx31x
05-19-2012, 12:19 AM

He gave up the most and second most yards and TDs in the NFL (can't remember which he led and which he was second in, though). He was the second most targeted CB in the NFL (~130) and gave up a ton of receptions (~80). In fact, he gave up more receptions than Webster even was targeted. Sure, he had a ton of tackles, but that tends to happen when you give up so many completions. Yes, he led the team in interceptions, but again, considering how often he was targeted 5 isn't that many.

Anyone lined up across from a REALLY GOOD DB will get tested consistently... ask Cromartie or the guys that played with Deion how it felt to be targeted week after week. T2 led the team in INT's in 2010 i believe and was expected to have a ProBowl season in 2011 after his performance in 2010.

Drez
05-19-2012, 12:31 AM

Anyone lined up across from a REALLY GOOD DB will get tested consistently... ask Cromartie or the guys that played with Deion how it felt to be targeted week after week. T2 led the team in INT's in 2010 i believe and was expected to have a ProBowl season in 2011 after his performance in 2010.
I know that being lined up opposite Webster has a lot to do with the number of targets that TT had. However, he still gave up a ton of receptions, and ~61% completion rate.

As I said above, yes he led the team in ints, with 5. But, he did it on 130 targets. That's only 1 pick every 26 targets. That really isn't anything to write home about.

All I'm saying is that TT did not have a Pro Bowl caliber year in 2010 and that given the choice between TT and Webster, it's Webster every day and twice on Sundays.

giantsfan420
05-19-2012, 12:45 AM

He gave up the most and second most yards and TDs in the NFL (can't remember which he led and which he was second in, though). He was the second most targeted CB in the NFL (~130) and gave up a ton of receptions (~80). In fact, he gave up more receptions than Webster even was targeted. Sure, he had a ton of tackles, but that tends to4v happen when you give up so many completions. Yes, he led the team in interceptions, but again, considering how often he was targeted 5 isn't that many.

I know that being lined up opposite Webster has a lot to do with the number of targets that TT had. However, he still gave up a ton of receptions, and ~61% completion rate.

As I said above, yes he led the team in ints, with 5. But, he did it on 130 targets. That's only 1 pick every 26 targets. That really isn't anything to write home about.

All I'm saying is that TT did not have a Pro Bowl caliber year in 2010 and that given the choice between TT and Webster, it's Webster every day and twice on Sundays.

Gotta agree but people overlook how young tt was in 2010...tt didnt get a chance to be an understudy, he didnt need to. Its important to keep that in mind. Tt was a second yr pro i believe in 2010 and his game was much farther along than websters when he was at that stage.
tt osnt better than webster, but imho, he has a ceiling that could lead to him being a better player than him.

Going back to the op...seeing as u have a nice mix of veterans, id choose prince. He has the highest upside of any of those dbs imho...im expecting big things from him. Had last yr not been so crazy with the cba id expect prince to establish his authority but we may have to hold off on that for one more season although i do expect him to be a solid contributor.

Im expecting a top 5-10 secondary unit next season...cant wait to see rolle ballhawk more and phillips to diversify his game...webby will be webby, and i believe tt will take grants role day 1 with coe, tryon, 'spoon, bing, etc to have a nice stable of the prototypical nickel corner...ppl confuse grants role as the nickelback when that wasnt the case, we had 3safeties and 3dbs onfield often...tt will prob be the nickelback out of the 2 safety formations

Drez
05-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Gotta agree but people overlook how young tt was in 2010...tt didnt get a chance to be an understudy, he didnt need to. Its important to keep that in mind. Tt was a second yr pro i believe in 2010 and his game was much farther along than websters when he was at that stage.
tt osnt better than webster, but imho, he has a ceiling that could lead to him being a better player than him.

I like TT and think he's a good corner, but people tend to overstate how well he played in 2010. I don't think that TT has a higher ceiling than Webster, either. He just doesn't have the cover skills of Webster. Was he further along than Webster? I guess. But, TT also had the benefit of playing in system that works with his strengths whereas Webster didn't.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Kenny Phillips

giantsfan420
05-19-2012, 01:53 AM

I like TT and think he's a good corner, but people tend to overstate how well he played in 2010. I don't think that TT has a higher ceiling than Webster, either. He just doesn't have the cover skills of Webster. Was he further along than Webster? I guess. But, TT also had the benefit of playing in system that works with his strengths whereas Webster didn't.

Thats a good point bout d system...
and i dont think tt will ever be as good a cover corner, but still think he could be the better player overall. He has some great tackling ability, great blitzer n in run support, and while he isnt step for step in coverage w webby, tt is still effective at making plays on the ball. If he could improve his timing on jump balls i think hed be much better, that aspect brings him down

Rat_bastich
05-19-2012, 03:12 AM
Fantasy stats or real life importance to a team? Fantasy wise you'll want someone that will be making interceptions and that will be tested(T2/Prince) or that can roam(Phillips)...real life Webster because he is the better of the 3 corners at this point.

Drez
05-19-2012, 07:32 AM

Thats a good point bout d system...
and i dont think tt will ever be as good a cover corner, but still think he could be the better player overall. He has some great tackling ability, great blitzer n in run support, and while he isnt step for step in coverage w webby, tt is still effective at making plays on the ball. If he could improve his timing on jump balls i think hed be much better, that aspect brings him down
TT doesn't have all that good of ball skills. And I don't know how much he can improve his timing on jump balls, from about everything I've ever heard that kind of thing is mostly instinctual. I guess if he devoted a ton of time practicing he might be able to improve on it.

BeatYale
05-20-2012, 05:14 PM
I kinda agree with Drez now.

I was under the assumption that T2 was our best DB that year as well, because he lead the team in INTs and had so many tackles. However, the receptions and yards given up...those are alarming stats and they clearly show that as a cover corner he is not on par with any of the top CB's in the league.

He's definitely versatile, that is why Fewell mentioned he would be moved around the field a lot for blitzing and covering slot guys etc. in regards to his role going into the 2011 season before he got hurt.

I think that, along with the drafting of Prince, kinda hints that the team felt he isn't best suited to be playing CB along the sideline.

Drez
05-20-2012, 05:56 PM
I kinda agree with Drez now.

I was under the assumption that T2 was our best DB that year as well, because he lead the team in INTs and had so many tackles. However, the receptions and yards given up...those are alarming stats and they clearly show that as a cover corner he is not on par with any of the top CB's in the league.

He's definitely versatile, that is why Fewell mentioned he would be moved around the field a lot for blitzing and covering slot guys etc. in regards to his role going into the 2011 season before he got hurt.

I think that, along with the drafting of Prince, kinda hints that the team felt he isn't best suited to be playing CB along the sideline.
TT is a good corner, he's just not a very good cover corner. He'd excel in the kind of role that GB had been using Woodson and that we had been using Rolle a lot last season.

I was really looking forward to seeing how he was going to progress last season before he got hurt, though. Let's hope he has a truly break out year this season.