PDA

View Full Version : A NEW DEAL FOR TOM COUGHLIN IN THE WORKS

RoanokeFan
05-17-2012, 02:28 PM
A NEW DEAL FOR TOM COUGHLIN IN THE WORKS (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/a_new_deal_for_tom_coughlin_in_the_works/10814261)

"It’s funny to go back to just two seasons ago and see how Rex Ryan was the
toast of the town to the New York media and Tom Coughlin was old news and needed
to be taken behind the barn and shot.

Today? Well, Ryan is on the hot seat and Coughlin is rumored to be getting an
extension after his second Super Bowl title in four years.</p>

</p><div class="KonaBody">

At the Giants Super Bowl ring ceremony yesterday, team owner John Mara told
local media that”We’re working on it. It will be done sooner rather than later”
in regards to a new deal for Tom Coughlin. At 65 and entering the final year of
his current deal, this is a move that was expected even before the improbable
run to the title last season.</p>

The truth is that things aredifferentin New York. I look at teams with
coaches who underachieve constantly, yet get to keep their job and aren’t
lambasted by the media. In New York, it’s win or get out. It doesn’t matter what
sport, what team or what you’ve done in the past. It’s all about what you’ve
done lately. And two titles in four years makes Coughlin safe for awhile.</p>

Eli Manning is already going to be given a pass for the rest of his career.
Joe Namath won one title and little else the rest of his career, yet he is still
treated as the king of New York today. But for a coach, what you’ve done lately
never rings more true than in the Big Apple.</p>

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/eli-manning.12.jpg (http://www.thepigskinreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/eli-manning.12.jpg)</p>

After winning the title in 2007 and winning 12 games the following year,
things were quiet. But after an 8-8 season in 2009 and a late season collapse in
2010, the majority of the fan base wanted Coughlin to go. He’d “lost his fire”
after winning the Super Bowl, many were saying.</p>

With the team sitting at 6-6 this season with just four games left to play,
the sentiment began to grow louder. But that’s when the team did what Coughlin
led teams seem to do; they coalesced around their coach and took their game to a
whole new level. Squeezing into the playoffs on the final game of the season
with a convincing victory over Dallas, they did what the past few Super Bowl
champs have done and entered the playoffs on a hot streak en route to another
improbable Super Bowl run.</p>

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/coughlinx-large.jpg (http://www.thepigskinreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/coughlinx-large.jpg)</p>

If Coughlin had these results in any other city, he’d probably of been
offered a Don Shula type situation by now and allowed to stay as long as he
wanted. And deservedly so.</p>

All conversations of the “great head coaches” in the modern NFL seem to start
and stop with Bill Belichick. But who comes after him? Even before last season,
I would have argued and stumped for Coughlin. He just finds a way to get his
team to rally around him and is, for lack of a better term, a leader of men.
He’s won 58% of his regular season games since becoming the Giants head coach in
2004 and has a sizzling .727 winning percentage in the postseason.</p>

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Bill-Belichick-and-Tom-Coughlin-600x360.jpg (http://www.thepigskinreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Bill-Belichick-and-Tom-Coughlin-600x360.jpg)</p>

In short, Coughlin sticking around in New York for the foreseeable future
should have Giants fan extremely content. Even if the teamfinishes.500 next
season. Because you know they’ll be back with him leading the way.
</p></div>

NYFan221
05-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I love that TC is our head coach... I wasn't alive for the Parcels era tho, how does TC compare to him?

SweetZombieJesus
05-17-2012, 03:50 PM
I wasn't alive for the Parcels era tho, how does TC compare to him?

Parcells was a wise guy, a back-alley fighter.

He was very military-like (so is Coughlin, but Parcells was McArthur -- fire and brimstone with Jersey sarcasm and a bit of a swagger).

Take Belichick and give him a little bit of Rex Ryan's mouth.

He knew how to push buttons. EVERYBODY's buttons.

NYGiantsFan56
05-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Found out an interesting fact today. Tom Coughlin is not among the top 10 highest paid coaches and Belicheat is the highest paid. I hope Mr. Mara sees this and corrects this.

miked1958
05-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Found out an interesting fact today. Tom Coughlin is not among the top 10 highest paid coaches and Belicheat is the highest paid. I hope Mr. Mara sees this and corrects this.Csn we afford to do that ? Coaches don't fall under the salary cap but

miked1958
05-17-2012, 10:31 PM
By the way I ageless he deserve to be extended

fansince69
05-18-2012, 09:03 AM
I wasn't alive for the Parcels era tho, how does TC compare to him?

Parcells was a wise guy, a back-alley fighter.

He was very military-like (so is Coughlin, but Parcells was McArthur -- fire and brimstone with Jersey sarcasm and a bit of a swagger).

Take Belichick and give him a little bit of Rex Ryan's mouth.

He knew how to push buttons. EVERYBODY's buttons.

Very nice analogy...he was also very hard on quarterbacks.......you had to be very tough skinned like Simms to survive under Parcells........he was very loyal to his favorite players Taylor Carson Simms but his dog house was very very tough to get out of.........He admired toughness in his players

One of my favorite quotes (I am Paraphrasing)he was talking about the 86 team ....when he said this team would be happy to play you out in the parking lot.

another" that Bavaro sure is a tough guy...I sure would hate to have to fight him"

nhpgiantsfan
05-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Found out an interesting fact today. Tom Coughlin is not among the top 10 highest paid coaches and Belicheat is the highest paid. I hope Mr. Mara sees this and corrects this.Csn we afford to do that ? Coaches don't fall under the salary cap but</P>

</P>

Make no mistake, the Giants are one of the wealthies franchises in the NFL. They have been sold out for decades. There is no reason they can't make TC the richest coach in football.</P>

nygsb42champs
05-18-2012, 09:49 AM
TC deserves it. He has proven he is NY tough.

MikeIsaGiant
05-18-2012, 09:56 AM
He's a great coach for this NY team.

Everyone thought Rex Ryan would be a great fit for the Jets, with him talking so much trash, thinking he is perfect for the media hype bull**** in New York.

Clearly, he's not.

Goes to show, TC is the perfect fit.

I wouldn't be surprised if TC went to coach the Jets, they'd probably win the super bowl.

He deserves it

SweetZombieJesus
05-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Very nice analogy...he was also very hard on quarterbacks.......you had to be very tough skinned like Simms to survive under Parcells........he was very loyal to his favorite players Taylor Carson Simms but his dog house was very very tough to get out of.........He admired toughness in his players

It depends -- he changed his demeanor based on what worked with each player, that's probably why he's so great at button pushing.

Simms got fire and brimstone and yelling matches. Hoss didn't.

Parcells knew how to push everybody's buttons and most of them were different. He changed his act with each player depending on their personalities and what would motivate them.

You mentioned Bavaro, he was very deferential to Bavaro because Mark was a quiet church-going guy -- and he wouldn't want to fight him ;)

I should add listening to his post-game pressers has always been a treat, he loooooooved the press.

SweetZombieJesus
05-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Make no mistake, the Giants are one of the wealthies franchises in the NFL. They have been sold out for decades. There is no reason they can't make TC the richest coach in football.</p>

I'm not making excuses, I think they should pay Tom. But they are paying off that stadium ($800 million) on a very aggressive schedule.

According to Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/30/nfl-valuations-11_land.html) the team had an operating income (profit) of $40.2 million on income of $240 million before last season, that's one medium player signing.

With the new stadium the franchise value is going up (Forbes ranked them as #4 in the NFL behind Cowboys, Redskins, and Texans). But as recently as 2007, because they didn't own a stadium, they were #15 on the list and their operating income that year was very low, like $100 grand.

In summary, they are not as rich as you think.

CTLadyBlue
05-19-2012, 04:55 PM
I never wanted TC gone. Never, never, never. I don't care how bad we lost, I never thought that any other coach could come in and take over. I never called for him to get fired, never stumped for Cowher or Gruden or whoever the sexy pick was to take over to replace him. The man (and the team) had two bad years in 2009 and 2010 - only 2 years removed from a SB win. There were issues which affected the team, but none had to do with the fact that TC ever 'LOST' this team.

You show me another 7-7 team on life support who goes and wins the SB six weeks later and I'll denounce my big blue fandom and root for the Cowboys!

BeatYale
05-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Everyone thought Rex Ryan would be a great fit for the Jets, with him talking so much trash, thinking he is perfect for the media hype bull**** in New York.

They want more media attention than the Giants, it's a part of the culture change that Ryan brought to the Jets. Giants winning the Super Bowl made us the talk of the town again, and Ryan knows at this point he can't start barking again about the Jets being a better team - so the Jets acquired Tebow to reacquire the excess media attention.

Back to the topic, I'm happy for TC, he deserves it.

bigjeep
05-19-2012, 08:43 PM
I love that TC is our head coach... I wasn't alive for the Parcels era tho, how does TC compare to him?

TC is a disciple of Parcels!

SweetZombieJesus
05-19-2012, 08:52 PM

TC is a disciple of Parcels!

More specifically he was WR coach from 1988-1990. Not quite as joined at the hip with Parcells as Belichick was, but still a man of the Parcells coaching tree.